PDA

View Full Version : Building up my first frame from scratch.

Hilltopperny
01-09-2016, 02:44 PM
I will be building up a nice fillet brazed kirk terraplane when it gets here next week. I have never attempted to build a frame up before and some pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have changed out pretty much everything on a bike before with the exception of the bottom bracket. I find this somewhat intimidating. Is installing the bottom bracket difficult or am I just psyching myself out?
Thanks,

Adam

dcama5
01-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Just remember that if it's an English threaded BB, the drive side is left-hand threads. The non-drive side pedal threads are also left hand.

Cicli
01-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Its a piece of cake. Grease everything and make sure all fasteners go down by hand first. Dont force anything and dont rush. If you get stuck, ask. Have fun, bikes are easy.

fogrider
01-09-2016, 03:54 PM
it used to be that the BB was a pain in the butt! but now with outboard cups and sealed bearings, it should be pretty straight forward...certain brands have special tools, just make sure you have what you need.

FlashUNC
01-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Grease is your friend.

Big Dan
01-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Park Tools website and Youtube are your friends.
For the BB take your time and make sure the threads are going in right.
Shouldn't have problems with a fairly new frame.

zmudshark
01-09-2016, 04:01 PM
What are your plans for the build? That would help us point out particular nuances someone may have come across with those components.

The Kirk is certainly an English threaded BB.

You may also want to edit your location. There may be a forum member with tools and experience nearby

brockd15
01-09-2016, 04:08 PM
For external bottom brackets the cups usually even tell you which way to tighten.

Just grease 'er up and thread that baby in there, and make sure it's nice and tight.

eddief
01-09-2016, 04:16 PM
with the bottom bracket wrench. Take you time and make sure the wrench teeth are fully engaged in the notches so the tool stays where it belongs. Take your time and don't whack your gorgeous paint job against the concrete steps when carrying it out to the garage...like I did.

Make sure your stem bolts are torqued before riding out of your driveway...or you'll be surprised by how fast the ground comes up to meet you...like I was once.

Use an old seatpost instead of the seat tube when putting your bike in the workstand clamp.

Wrap something around the top tube so your your handlebars don't swing around and dent the sucker. Same same with downtube and front brake.

Go slow, turn on the radio, have fun.

Hilltopperny
01-09-2016, 04:17 PM
It's a 10 spd campy record groupset. I have to take the front derailleur off of my csi to use on the kirk as its a braze on derailleur clamp. Going to just swap it out for the one I have coming for now. Either open pros or ksyrium ssc for wheels. Going to see how much clearance I have for tires once it gets here. I have some pasela 32s if they fit maybe gravel king 28's or vittoria evo corsa 25s if the paselas are too big. I have to find a silver campy hubbed grey open pro front wheel to match the rear one that I already have to use. I was thinking of using centaur brakes if they have more clearance for tires than the record ones that I have. Not sure on bars yet. I have a bunch around and want to see what they look and feel like when I get the frame.

Mikej
01-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Bubble wrap tubes for paint protection

tigoat
01-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Are you really building your first frame or first bike? Building up a bike from scratch is a piece of cake but building up a frame is a different animal.

pdmtong
01-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Nice score on a great frame. Was wondering who got it

If your wheel plans don't work I've got a set of Belgium C2 debadged black cxray DTS 240 28/28 that would look killer on it

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 09:07 AM
After waiting at the house all day yesterday the Kirk was delivered around 3:30. I unpacked it and looked it over. All I can say is WOW! What a nice frame! I stared at it for a bit and then went to my fianc馥s for dinner. After returning home I couldn't help staring at it again and decided to build it up. I built it up with full record 10spd, kyserium sl ssc wheels, Vittoria open Cora's evo tires and a brooks b17 special. I will post some pics later today. Super excited to take this on a nice long ride. Of course winter has finally decided to show up here in central ny so I will just have to admire its looks for now. :banana:

franswa
01-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Park Tools website and Youtube are your friends.
For the BB take your time and make sure the threads are going in right.
Shouldn't have problems with a fairly new frame.

+1

It's not as difficult as it seems.

eBAUMANN
01-13-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm assuming the headset is already installed? because that is easily the hardest part of the entire procedure, don't even try if you don't have a headset press. with a press however, even a headset install is easy peasy.

the rest can be accomplished with a bottom bracket tool, allen wrenches, and a screw driver (limit screws).

sticking it all together is a piece of cake.
adjusting it so it all works properly...takes a little technique and know-how.

Tickdoc
01-13-2016, 10:17 AM
No pics? Cmon, man we need pics! Congrats. Can't wait to see that one built.

parris
01-13-2016, 10:55 AM
What part of CNY are you from?

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 11:42 AM
What part of CNY are you from?

I live in fort plain ny 13339. A small village in the mohawk valley. Lots of good riding from my front door. Where are you?

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm assuming the headset is already installed? because that is easily the hardest part of the entire procedure, don't even try if you don't have a headset press. with a press however, even a headset install is easy peasy.

the rest can be accomplished with a bottom bracket tool, allen wrenches, and a screw driver (limit screws).

sticking it all together is a piece of cake.
adjusting it so it all works properly...takes a little technique and know-how.

Yes I have it all put together now but need to make all the final adjustments. I stripped down my csi and reused some stuff for this build which helped me understand how to put it back together on the kirk. I will be building the csi back up this week with the clamp on front derailleur and a mix of campy bits. It was a lot less intimidating than I thought. Pics will be up when I get home later this afternoon or evening.

Tickdoc
01-13-2016, 02:00 PM
It was a lot less intimidating than I thought. Pics will be up when I get home later this afternoon or evening.

Good to know, and I guess I can wait ;-)

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Please excuse the mess! Will take some better shots once I can get it out for a ride.

stien
01-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but info/pics on the white Serotta? Thing looks great.

JasonF
01-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but info/pics on the white Serotta? Thing looks great.

Ditto...that wouldn't happen to have a 53cm-ish top tube would it?

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 02:53 PM

It's a tg with a matching steel fork with a dura ace 7700 group, royal gran comp brakes, mavic classics, cotton bar tape and fizik antares cx saddle. It's a 51cm seat tube c-to-c with a 53cm c-to-c top tube. It's nice to look at but I bought it for the fiancee and it was too big. I have taken it out on some short rides but it's just a little too small no matter how much I wish it wasn't.

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Ditto...that wouldn't happen to have a 53cm-ish top tube would it?

Yes it would be :beer:

Tickdoc
01-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Looks great! Nice family pic there...nice looking bikes, nice looking dogs.

Love that Kirk and congrats on a successful build.

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Looks great! Nice family pic there...nice looking bikes, nice looking dogs.

Love that Kirk and congrats on a successful build.

Thanks doc! I was up pretty late last night messing with it but it should be good to go. I will be staring at it everyday until we get some good weather.

parris
01-13-2016, 03:21 PM
I was born and raised in Utica but have lived in the Binghamton area for the last 23 years.

Hilltopperny
01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
I was born and raised in Utica but have lived in the Binghamton area for the last 23 years.

I'm probably 25 miles east of Utica. Father lives in Rome ny.

sandyrs
01-13-2016, 03:37 PM
It's a tg with a matching steel fork with a dura ace 7700 group, royal gran comp brakes, mavic classics, cotton bar tape and fizik antares cx saddle. It's a 51cm seat tube c-to-c with a 53cm c-to-c top tube. It's nice to look at but I bought it for the fiancee and it was too big. I have taken it out on some short rides but it's just a little too small no matter how much I wish it wasn't.

Have you raised the hoods on the bars at all? They're really low, even for classic bend.

FlashUNC
01-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Maybe its just an optical illusion in the photo, but the rear brake housing on the Kirk looks rather short by my eyes.

Fantastic build though. Sure it'll be a great bike.

parris
01-13-2016, 07:51 PM
You and I have very likely ridden the same roads. That whole region has fantastic riding.

Hilltopperny
01-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Put different bars on and flipped the stem. Decided to pull the brooks b15 swallow out of the bin. All I can do now is wait to take it on a nice long ride...

Burnette
01-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Wow, that is a nice looking bike! Wheels and all the rest finish it off right.

Tickdoc
01-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Put different bars on and flipped the stem. Decided to pull the brooks b15 swallow out of the bin. All I can do now is wait to take it on a nice long ride...

That saddle is icing on the cake, and the stem looks soooo much better flipped, so long as you are comfy.

I am comforted only that this frame was too big for me, or it would be congratulations laced with envy and regret :~)

etu
01-17-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks for posting. Some great photos with good looking bikes and cutes dogs and dog portraits.:beer: