PDA

View Full Version : OT: A/V Receivers - $750 budget

Exonerv
01-09-2016, 01:30 PM
To ring in the New Year, my trusty 17 year old Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver stopped responding to commands sent by the remote - effectively rendering it useless in it's present application. I have eliminated the remote as the source of the problem.

As I've been out of the market for nearly 2 decades, I'm a little behind on the latest technologies. I've been doing enough reading to have some concerns about replacing this unit with another Onkyo. Recent reviews on Amazon seem to reflect a fairly high rate of failure and abysmal customer service if it comes to that.

I'm debating the need for HDCP 2.2 as I don't watch many movies, nor do I see myself streaming a lot of 4k content in the foreseeable future. There are some fairly steep markdowns on units without the latest tech, offering clean power and low distortion at some attractive price points.

I may? elect to buy a 4k TV in a few years, but am not at all unhappy with 1080p.

So, I thought I might tap into the Paceline brain trust and inquire...what would you guys recommend in the $500-$750 price range?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

kramnnim
01-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Let me know if you need something to use in the mean time, my old one is gathering dust. Low-mid range, but the remote works.

parris
01-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Here's a few resources that may help. AVS forum, Audiokarma forum, Home Theater Geeks podcast, and HDTV podcast.

I don't know enough about the gear that's out today other than I've had good service out of my various pieces of Yamaha gear.

Likes2ridefar
01-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Ive a pioneer 1222k now the 1223k, currently $449 on amazon. It has a suggested retail of $1100.

I really like the d3 amp for its excellent output that puts out hardly any heat. Ive mine in a cabinet with a 1/4" clearance above and it never gets warm.

Its easy to use/setup, has a nice ipad app, and sounds great. I came from a much more expensive audiophile type integrated amp and am not feeling like it was a step down. I Didnt have the space so had to pick...having the center channel is worth it for movies and tv.

Some bad reviews for it on amazon, same for my 1222. Maybe im lucky but it's worked flawlessly for a number of years now.

Peter P.
01-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Yamaha (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/). I've always had longlasting equipment with their electronics. They seem to be the best value of price to quality to dependability ratio.

Likes2ridefar
01-09-2016, 05:34 PM
If i didnt have the pioneer, id get the cheapest receiver that has audyssey multieq xt32.

A denon x4000 from accessories4less is probably what i would get.

JMacII
01-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Stay away from low end Denon. I have one and it has been the worst consumer electronic purchase I ever made.

Likes2ridefar
01-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Stay away from low end Denon. I have one and it has been the worst consumer electronic purchase I ever made.

Youll find someone to say that for pretty much every brand.

Exonerv
01-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Let me know if you need something to use in the mean time, my old one is gathering dust. Low-mid range, but the remote works.
Thanks for the generous offer Mark. My amp still functions, it just forces me to get up/down for every change. I could call it my off season training program I suppose...

Exonerv
01-09-2016, 05:48 PM
If i didnt have the pioneer, id get the cheapest receiver that has audyssey multieq xt32.

A denon x4000 from accessories4less is probably what i would get.
I've read good things about the Audyssey EQ. Another strike against Onkyo is they've moved to a cheaper alternative.

velomonkey
01-09-2016, 06:11 PM
Marantz is always good, but oddly enough it seems there $400 units are well regarded (I have the 1405 in the living room) and then the $900. The units in-between don't get such solid reviews (if that is your bag). Yamaha and Denon in that price range always seem good.

One note: went to my still-in-business locale stereo store and got a $1600 Integra 7.2 receiver for $600 cash. Thing works like a champ - when you can, live of the scraps of the stupid - the stupid rich. Some dude just decided to switch to something new. Anyway, that receiver is ballers and I know the store so I knew I had a good breakin period, could trust them and if there was a repair it wound't be bad. It's been a year and ZERO issues.

BTW, both my receivers have Audessy - works like a champ if you are setting up 5.1 or 7.2 or whatever.

kramnnim
01-09-2016, 06:15 PM
My amp still functions, it just forces me to get up/down for every change. I could call it my off season training program I suppose...

Does yours have a port for an IR extender/repeater thing?

dalava
01-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Marantz is always good, but oddly enough it seems there $400 units are well regarded (I have the 1405 in the living room) and then the $900. The units in-between don't get such solid reviews (if that is your bag). Yamaha and Denon in that price range always seem good.

One note: went to my still-in-business locale stereo store and got a $1600 Integra 7.2 receiver for $600 cash. Thing works like a champ - when you can, live of the scraps of the stupid - the stupid rich. Some dude just decided to switch to something new. Anyway, that receiver is ballers and I know the store so I knew I had a good breakin period, could trust them and if there was a repair it wound't be bad. It's been a year and ZERO issues.

BTW, both my receivers have Audessy - works like a champ if you are setting up 5.1 or 7.2 or whatever.

Marantz, by far the best choice in your budget range. The big difference between the high and lower end is mostly the power amplification section.

Exonerv
01-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Does yours have a port for an IR extender/repeater thing?
It does...I'd been using an IR extender with a powered connecting block. It's possible the failure occurred there. Of all the old technology I have lying around, I don't have a spare connecting block to allow me to test. I'm planning to order one tomorrow, but I have my doubts it will resolve my problem.

JMacII
01-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Youll find someone to say that for pretty much every brand.

I have a Denon AVR-X1100W and I can tell you without a doubt a total POS. Was in for warranty service in first 90 days. Two years old and the front display has quit. Never held wifi or Bluetooth. Total junk.

kramnnim
01-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I have a Denon AVR-X1100W and I can tell you without a doubt a total POS. Was in for warranty service in first 90 days. Two years old and the front display has quit. Never held wifi or Bluetooth. Total junk.

I bought one in March, haven't had any issues. The volume knob feels very cheap compared to my old one. (Sherwood?)

SoCalSteve
01-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Yamaha (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/). I've always had longlasting equipment with their electronics. They seem to be the best value of price to quality to dependability ratio.

Another vote for Yamaha, nice stuff...and an iPhone app to boot. No need for a remote. Bluetooth compatible.

jlwdm
01-09-2016, 11:39 PM
I have used Marantz receivers in my secondary systems for along time and they have been great.

In my home office where I watch the most TV and listen to music I use a higher end two channel audio system.

Last June I installed audio video in my fairly new to me house and have a Marantz SR7009 in my media room. I went with this system so that I could use Dolby Atmos. I see on line this receiver has dramatically dropped in price but it is still about $1200. In my game room I am using a Marantz SR5009 which is still a little over your budget. I actually have not used this surround sound system, but my work partner works at my house occasionally and she uses it for Spotify or some other lower quality audio service.

The audio/video person I have complete faith in recommends the Marantz for the lower priced receivers.

Jeff

Web1111a
01-10-2016, 02:40 AM
It does...I'd been using an IR extender with a powered connecting block. It's possible the failure occurred there. Of all the old technology I have lying around, I don't have a spare connecting block to allow me to test. I'm planning to order one tomorrow, but I have my doubts it will resolve my problem.

What happens if u take remote a use it in front of unit bypassing the ir extender?

Does the extender have an emitter that is attached to reciever or does a wire plug straight into back?

If plugged into back and no control unplug from back?

Is this the factory remote or a learning remote

Exonerv
01-10-2016, 07:33 AM
The IR sensor on the front of the receiver will only respond after a 30 minute power cycle where the amp has been unplugged. I can get about 3 commands, before it again becomes totally unresponsive.

As the unit is in a cabinet, for years I've been using a repeater plugged into the "main" IR on the back. As the pass through is passive, it requires a powered connecting block. It's possible the connecting block shorted. I have an older Onkyo amp still in use that uses the same IR set-up, and I've been unable to get the repeater to work there as well.

I have tried using both factory remotes and my Harmony One and they work fine with the older Onkyo, but I can't get any response on the problem amp - unless I unplug it for a half hour.

It's possible the front IR sensor died some time ago, and the powered connecting block is my issue now. It will cost about $25 to get another one to serve as a tester. As my amp is housed in a cabinet, I'll likely need a new one either way to operate whatever I end up buying.

I've looked into buying a new front IR sensor from Digi-tech as they can be had for < $10 delivered. Once I get around to replacing the Onkyo, I'll continue to try and fix the issue. But on a 17 year old amp, with no HDMI, it may be time to upgrade.

DRZRM
01-10-2016, 01:24 PM
One more for the Marantz, I did a lot of research before repairing my old Luxman, and the SR-5010 was at the top of my list for a new unit. It was in your budget on Amazon around X-mas. Keep an eye out, I'm sure you can pick one up within your budget.

Web1111a
01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
What Luxman did you have?

rounder
01-10-2016, 02:13 PM
I have a Denon AVR-1709 that cost about $750. I had high hopes for it when I bought, but it was unnecessarily complicated and was hardly used.

I would sell it but do not know who I would sell it to.

osu cycling
01-10-2016, 03:09 PM

Agree with you there. I sent my Denon S-101 receiver in for factory service, just for them to tell me there were no parts available, and then they charged $50 to ship back the broken component that should have been no more than $20 at FedEx (on top of the bench fee to inspect it). Of course, they'd have "taken it off my hands" for free.

Web1111a
01-10-2016, 05:56 PM
The IR sensor on the front of the receiver will only respond after a 30 minute power cycle where the amp has been unplugged. I can get about 3 commands, before it again becomes totally unresponsive.

As the unit is in a cabinet, for years I've been using a repeater plugged into the "main" IR on the back. As the pass through is passive, it requires a powered connecting block. It's possible the connecting block shorted. I have an older Onkyo amp still in use that uses the same IR set-up, and I've been unable to get the repeater to work there as well.

I have tried using both factory remotes and my Harmony One and they work fine with the older Onkyo, but I can't get any response on the problem amp - unless I unplug it for a half hour.

It's possible the front IR sensor died some time ago, and the powered connecting block is my issue now. It will cost about $25 to get another one to serve as a tester. As my amp is housed in a cabinet, I'll likely need a new one either way to operate whatever I end up buying.

I've looked into buying a new front IR sensor from Digi-tech as they can be had for < $10 delivered. Once I get around to replacing the Onkyo, I'll continue to try and fix the issue. But on a 17 year old amp, with no HDMI, it may be time to upgrade.

I woukd disconnect the dead powered connecting block from the back in code it is locking up the unit

Exonerv
01-10-2016, 06:11 PM
I woukd disconnect the dead powered connecting block from the back in code it is locking up the unit
Thanks, but tried that solution early in the process. Also tested the probably dead block in the older amp...without lockup of the functioning IR eye on the front.

Should know for sure on Tuesday when the new IR block/kit arrives.

Appreciate reading the experiences of others. Thanks for all the responses.

DRZRM
01-10-2016, 06:47 PM
What Luxman did you have?

LV-105u, integrated tube amp. Very low tech, but it still sounds great. I wanted a way to play music off a computer and possibly a phone, but rather than replacing it with an amp with Bluetooth and digital inputs, I'm going to figure out how to hook up one of the digital media adapters to a traditional input.

Web1111a
01-10-2016, 10:06 PM
LV-105u, integrated tube amp. Very low tech, but it still sounds great. I wanted a way to play music off a computer and possibly a phone, but rather than replacing it with an amp with Bluetooth and digital inputs, I'm going to figure out how to hook up one of the digital media adapters to a traditional input.

That is a great sounding piece

Have you ever replaced the tubes?

soulspinner
01-11-2016, 05:46 AM
I bought one in March, haven't had any issues. The volume knob feels very cheap compared to my old one. (Sherwood?)

Still have a Sherwood that is in use from 1978. On off button is loose but it gets used often.

tlittlefield
01-11-2016, 09:25 AM
I have a Denon AVR-X1200 that I love. Was as easy as any 7.1 receiver to set up, has everything that you need, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Audyssey setup etc and preforms very well.

One thing to consider is if you are using a turntable to make sure that you buy one with a phono-in RCA, most newer receivers do not have one. You will have to buy a separate phono pre-amp to connect your turntable.

Exonerv
01-13-2016, 05:40 PM
To follow through...

It turned out the new IR receiver / connecting block was the cure for my amp's ills. I went with this one and it appears to have a nice build quality and is far superior to my old IR extender at communicating that signals are indeed going from point A - B.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-IR-Repeater-extender/dp/B009ZGK6QS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452727904&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=Inteset+IR+Remote+Control+Repeater

It looks like I get to milk a little more out of my ancient Onkyo amp. Had I needed to upgrade, based on your guidance and my research, I'd narrowed my best options down to the Denon AVR4100 or the Marantz SR7808. Accessories4less has a smoking deal on the Marantz at the moment.

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions