View Full Version : Eugene lost a wonderful cyclist/person

KevinK
06-01-2006, 12:20 PM
The local newspaper told the tale:

Woman dies in bike wreck on rural road
By Jim Feehan
The Register-Guard
Published: Thursday, June 1, 2006

COTTAGE GROVE - A 47-year-old Eugene woman was struck and killed by a loaded log truck Wednesday as she rode her bicycle on Territorial Road west of here.

The woman, identified by Oregon State Police as Jane Higdon, was hit at 3:27 p.m. while riding southbound on Territorial with three other cyclists near Hamm Road. Higdon steered into the southbound lane from the edge of the roadway to avoid another cyclist who had tumbled at the same time the log truck, also traveling south, was approaching.

The truck driver, John McWhorter, 31, of Winston turned into the northbound lane in an attempt to avoid Higdon, but the right side of his truck struck her. After the impact, the truck driver came to a stop a short distance from the accident.

Higdon died instantly, Oregon State Police Sgt. Ron Martin said.

Higdon was a food scientist at the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University. A research associate and author on the institute's Web site, Higdon studied whether proper nutrition could reduce the risk of developing disease.

She competed in several area marathons and triathlons.

On Wednesday, Higdon was taking part in an informal weekly bicycle ride among friends that has been going on for 10 years, according to a member of that day's ride.

Higdon and the group of cyclists began a 50-mile loop that took them from Fox Hollow Road to Lorane Highway, Territorial Road, Hamm Road, through Creswell and back to Fox Hollow Road.

The stretch of road where the accident took place was curvy.

Oregon State Police were investigating the accident, with help from the Lane County Sheriff's Office.

Territorial Road was closed for about 3 1/2 hours.

----------

Jane and her husband TJ were fixtures at the Sunday Newman's ride. She was always smiling and very friendly, she was an superb cyclist and an awesome climber. I just rode that same road with Jane and the group this past Sunday as part of our 60 mile Cottage Grove Loop. I'm crushed, and I didn't know Jane that well. She was a best friend to a close friend of mine and I just can't imagine what she is going through. Jane and TJ were planning a trip to ride the Pyrenees in a month.

FWIW, the morning news on NBC said that a riding companion in the group disputed how accident was being reported, placing more blame on the truck driver. For now, I don't really care.

Kevin

Lincoln
06-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Kevin,

I'm really sorry to hear about the accident. We lost a great friend/rider/advocate in a similar situation this Spring. Really horrible.

Lincoln

coylifut
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this news. The Eugene cycling community must be crushed.

William
06-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. My condolences to her friends and family.

William

PS: I've ridden the roads all through the valley there and not many things unsettle me. BUT, I've had log trucks get very close to me many many times. Some times so close that the blast of air would almost knock you off the road. Some times I felt as though if I stuck my left elbow out as they went by it would get it taken off. There was many times on Bellefountain Rd where they could have swung out as they passed when no traffic was coming the other way (a long straight road in sections), but they wouldn't. Anyway, I don't mean to complain but I can more then see how this could happen.

gasman
06-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I was just about to post this story myself.
Jane was a wonderful person and her husband is a great guy. The Eugene cycling community has lost a tremendous person, the Wed ride will never feel the same. I feel honored to have ridden many miles with her and I will miss her very much.

Fixed
06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
bro sad news some body really important too sad indeed .

vaxn8r
06-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I missed this post before. Oh well, Jane deserved two threads.

shinomaster
06-01-2006, 05:45 PM
What a major bummer. That is the third cyclist in a week that has died in Oregon.

Saxon
06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
What happened to the other two riders? I didn't hear about that.

gasman
06-01-2006, 10:58 PM
What a major bummer. That is the third cyclist in a week that has died in Oregon.

I hadn't heard about the other two. Bummer.

chrisroph
06-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Husband and wife hit from behind on hwy 47(?) near the hagg lake turnoff.

shinomaster
06-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Husband and wife hit from behind on hwy 47(?) near the hagg lake turnoff.

Yeah...they likely never knew what happened, and perhaps that is best. They don't know why the driver swerved into the couple. Very sad indeed.