PDA

View Full Version : DK200 2016 who's in?

Jgrooms
01-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Servers are smokin'!

In for 3rd go 😳!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin Turtle
01-09-2016, 09:13 AM
registered for the 100 half pint

ultraman6970
01-09-2016, 09:17 AM
DK = Donkey Kong?

tiretrax
01-09-2016, 12:53 PM
registered for the 100 half pint
I'm up for a spoonful. With the weather we're having, I bet the roads will feel like the surface of the moon.

rwsaunders
01-09-2016, 03:18 PM
I had a chance to do some dirt road riding years ago when we had a project in Garden City and I always thought that the Dirty Kanza would be an absolute blast.

F150
01-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Best of luck to you. I got tired this morning just watching some videos of last years event. Think I might actually enjoy the Half Pint, maybe someday.

P.S. Please take the "Cycling Pet Peeves" thread with you and drown it in the first creek crossing you encounter.

Jgrooms
01-09-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm up for a spoonful. With the weather we're having, I bet the roads will feel like the surface of the moon.

Too soon for weather/road watching :-)

The 'half pint' moniker is some bad marketing imo. Its a 100 miles!

p nut
07-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Hadn't read this guy's DQ from DK until now. He seems bitter, and maybe rightfully so, since lot of others should've also been DQ'ed, but trying to turn this (or any gravel race) into a road race format seems to take away from the spirit of the event. Inherent dangers of riding in a minimally-supported race in the middle of nowhere is....just part of the race, right?

http://boobicycles.com/dirtydq/

Random blog I found funny (in response to the post above).

https://farmdogsaresprinttraining.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/welcome-now-stop-ruining-gravel/

Jgrooms
07-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Poor Boo (aka Nick Frey bad ass road racer) did a booboo by having a vehicle on course. He should have just excepted his misdeed & went away. Instead him and his wife (some tough ass tri coach) decided to go the social media route and make it a big deal. All the while glossing over the obvious rule infraction & making it an issue about the organization of the race.

Farmdog post sums it up pretty well.

Its attitudes like Nick's that'll kill the gravel vibe. But we won't let it happen wo a fight. Sorry your usac thing is dying, but that's not our problem.

berserk87
07-18-2016, 08:12 PM
You are hard men.

I wanted to try doing this but I am not an off-road guy. I did an Ultra-Cross race called "The Gravel Grovel" a couple of years back. I tried it on my old MTB - 65 miles total, with 12 miles of muddy single track and several miles of "unmaintained access road" (i.e. muddy ruts that were crossed by creeks every 400 yards. To boot, I hadn't actually ridden single track since about 2003. I was told that there was a little bit of it prior to the race. When I got there and learned that they had changed the course, I still thought I could handle it. After all, I was fit.

It about killed me. I had dreams of doing the DK200 prior to that time. The Gravel Grovel disabused me of that and reaffirmed my place in the cycling world, as a roadie.