PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Query

benford
01-08-2016, 04:58 PM
So I've finally set my mind and wallet to purchase some tubulars for cross. The only problem is that I don't really know too much about them and need some advice!

Whats the difference between aluminum and carbon tubular rims? Anything other than 'cool carbon' factor?

Thanks guys :D

Dead Man
01-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Carbon will be lighter, for a tall, stiff rim, which is good for not bogging down in deep mud

That's about it (says the guy who doesn't cross)

Lotta guys use deep section for cross - like 50mm +

I don't think you can even get those in alloy? Maybe some weird Chinese ···· that weighs 2500g/set

spartanKid
01-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Carbon will be lighter, for a tall, stiff rim, which is good for not bogging down in deep mud

That's about it (says the guy who doesn't cross)

Lotta guys use deep section for cross - like 50mm +

I don't think you can even get those in alloy? Maybe some weird Chinese ï½·ï½·ï½·ï½· that weighs 2500g/set

I'd say ~40 mm deep is more common for CX than 50+.

crankles
01-08-2016, 06:10 PM
I race on both, but mostly carbon unless the course is a rock garden. The difference in spinning up 1200g carbon wheels vs 1500g aluminum ones is more noticeable in cross than in any other type of racing IMHO. I go from 4 mph back up to 15-20 mph 20+ times per lap.

It's not super muddy out here in NorCal during cross season so I ride fairly low profile rims most of the time.

Ronsonic
01-08-2016, 06:15 PM
I've got no personal experience with high zoot 'cross clinchers - tubeless, etc. But tubulars are a little amazing in comparison to anything I have tried in a clincher. Don't think you really need to go super high tech to find an advantage in them. The first time you roll off the pavement and onto grass and don't feel increased rolling resistance* you'll see. No reason not to just get a wheelset you can afford and don't worry whether you might be faster on deep carbon. As others have mentioned that's mostly a mud thing.

* Yeah, I know, it does increase, but not the way it does with lesser tire species.

sparky33
01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
I switched to an inexpensive Psimet alloy wheel with a Clement tub and was amazed by the difference over clinchers in cornering and overall performance.

If i were fighting for podium steps or glamor then a carbon tub might be a consideration.

shovelhd
01-08-2016, 08:58 PM
For cross, it's much more about tubular versus clincher than carbon versus anything else. If you want to run low tire pressure, you can do it with anything, but tubulars do it best.

ultraman6970
01-08-2016, 09:03 PM
If you wan to go with aluminum rims, the only ones I know that are like 35 or 40 mm tall are the ones in the miche pistard wheels (there is a tubular version)... ditch the hubs and put road hubs and good to go.

I have a set of wheels built like that, rim is not super light but it will hold really well a few seasons of CX.

chiasticon
02-09-2016, 04:07 PM
For cross, it's much more about tubular versus clincher than carbon versus anything else. If you want to run low tire pressure, you can do it with anything, but tubulars do it best.this. any tubular wheel will work. alloy is cheaper and will brake better (if you're using cantis). I'd suggest 23mm wide ones for a bigger gluing surface. just look for deals between now and cross season, something will pop up (or pm me, I might be selling some).

advantage of carbon is simple: they weigh less and they're (generally) stiffer. when you're sprinting back up to speed several times a lap, that helps.

ik2280
02-09-2016, 04:11 PM
If you're going alloy, don't go super deep. Get HEDs or maybe Mavic Reflex / Nemesis tubs. With carbon, feel free to go deeper if there will be mud, but I see the priorities as: ability to run low pressure (tubular) > weight > rim width > rim depth.

nooneline
02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
For cross, it's much more about tubular versus clincher than carbon versus anything else. If you want to run low tire pressure, you can do it with anything, but tubulars do it best.

Completely agree.

Worth noting, too, that if you're using rim brakes, you might prefer aluminum rims to carbon ones. Especially in variable conditions, you're going to have much more reliable braking when you need it with alu rims.

I picked up a Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset for maybe a hundred bucks. It's about 1400g, has DTSwiss hubs, it's tubular, it's got better braking than carbon rims, and it's an all-around excellent cx tubular wheelset.

FlashUNC
02-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Aluminum, lightish, not too deep. And find tires that match what you'll be racing in.

shovelhd
02-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Aluminum, lightish, not too deep. And find tires that match what you'll be racing in.

Which brings up a good point. You may be better off with two sets of CX wheels, each with a different tire (mud versus grass) than one set of high zoot wheels with a compromise tire. You can pre ride with one set and swap based in conditions before your race.

sweet_johnny
02-09-2016, 06:49 PM
More than anything else, get a rim that is wide (23mm+). You'll get a better contact patch between glue, rim, and tire and will be less likely to roll a tire. Also, with the wider footprint the tire will roll over less in the turns and will feel more sure footed.

I picked up a set of used major toms for about $200.

For about $500, you could go chinese carbon tubular (http://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/tubular/38t/38mm-x-23mm-bitex-full-carbon-tubular-wheelset.html) route.