PDA

View Full Version : Century Training-dead Leg

sjanicola
06-01-2006, 10:19 AM
I could use a little help. I'm training to ride a century & have read quite a bit on ramping up miles. I think I made a mistake by increasing my long ride from 57 miles to 72 miles (into a friggin' 20mph head wind the entire way). I've riden 2x since then (short 25-30 mile rides) & my thighs are definitely lagging behind. They aren't cramped or sore...just tired. I'm fueling and hydrating well enough (1 Gu, a couple of Fig Newtons, and a bottle of Cytomax w/H2O/hr).

Any thoughts?

Scott

JasonF
06-01-2006, 10:28 AM
How was your base preparation? Maybe those extra 15 miles didn't do you in, but the fact that there isn't a lot of miles in your legs that have cumulatively lead to your current fatigue. That's usually what happens to me.

goonster
06-01-2006, 10:46 AM
I think I made a mistake by increasing my long ride from 57 miles to 72 miles

I doubt that's it, although a big effort (regardless of actual mileage) might have left you tired.

What works for me in situations like this is plenty of easy riding. Ride with a (much) slower group. Ride gently down a pretty country lane. Ride in regular clothes. Don't push big gears. Don't go into the red zone. Don't test those legs. But do ride. Do this for a week.

There have been times when I rode with Mrs. Goonster three times a week, never felt like I was working, then went on a fast club ride and . . . holy moly.

sjanicola
06-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I spin 2-3x/week in the winter and worked out every day I didn't. I also do boot camp classes...to facilitate aerobic/anaerobic capacity.

Beginning early April I started to ride outside.

About 5 weeks ago I started training for the Century.
Tuesdays: Hills for 22 miles
Thursdays: Intervals for 25 miles
Fridays: Spin
Sundays: Long ride over the exact course for the Century. Each week I increased as follows (40, 46, 52, 57, 72).

JasonH
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I would have cut out the jump to 72 if it is the week before the century. I've got one coming up on the 11th and will probably only do a 50ish mile ride Sat. then start taking it easy both in distance and cadence.