PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this Marcelo?

bluesea
01-08-2016, 10:52 AM
First of all I probably shouldn't pick up a Peg till I meet my injury recovery goals, which should probably take a year. Also for my riding and having owned the EOM 16.5 tube set version, I should probably favor another Duende. But dayam, this Peg is beautiful!

Looks pretty clean and with all of the chips, its probably still a good value(?). I still find it hard to believe it only has 150mi by the supposed original owner.

Don't know much about the Trigon fork, although the fork crown looks like it *might* accommodate 25c. Seems to me by the time the Monk paint scheme came out, they weren't offering the Trigon anymore?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-Marcelo-frameset-Size-53-54-3-cm-TT-Thelonius-Monk-paint-scheme-RARE-/262204166325?hash=item3d0c9610b5:g:9hYAAOSwd0BV2OZ M

jmeloy
01-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Bluesea, I've got a 2012 Marcelo with the same fork and it rides great. I've got 25s on mine. The fit is REALLY tight in the rear due to the brake bridge placement. No issue in the front. It rides really smooth.

livingminimal
01-08-2016, 05:15 PM
If that fits 25c...that's pretty rad. I know it was Dario's intention the last couple of years with the Falz to increase the clearance. I think the new one hes working on goes to 28? I think mine can only take a 25..havent tried anything larger since I got it.

tuscanyswe
01-08-2016, 05:18 PM
First of all I probably shouldn't pick up a Peg till I meet my injury recovery goals, which should probably take a year. Also for my riding and having owned the EOM 16.5 tube set version, I should probably favor another Duende. But dayam, this Peg is beautiful!

Looks pretty clean and with all of the chips, its probably still a good value(?). I still find it hard to believe it only has 150mi by the supposed original owner.

Don't know much about the Trigon fork, although the fork crown looks like it *might* accommodate 25c. Seems to me by the time the Monk paint scheme came out, they weren't offering the Trigon anymore?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pegoretti-Marcelo-frameset-Size-53-54-3-cm-TT-Thelonius-Monk-paint-scheme-RARE-/262204166325?hash=item3d0c9610b5:g:9hYAAOSwd0BV2OZ M

Not so sure about that. I remember checking out a Monk scheme in my size a couple of years ago and that to had the same fork as the one in your link.

eBAUMANN
01-08-2016, 05:20 PM
that is my favorite peg paint scheme, aside from the crazy ciavete stuff.

also, im pretty sure the owner of that frame is on this forum...

kingpin75s
01-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Thread was withdrawn but I thought that was the same bike as this:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=170789&highlight=marcelo

sw3759
01-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I have the same in a 54cm Monk but mine came with the Reynolds fork and never seen or ridden a trigon so not sure how it compares..pr4 25's are pretty much the limit of my fork.so if you buy that are you going to ditch the gold um,stuff ?

soulspinner
01-08-2016, 05:59 PM
that is my favorite peg paint scheme, aside from the crazy ciavete stuff.

also, im pretty sure the owner of that frame is on this forum...

love it too and oh dear............:no:

bluesea
01-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info! I know my Duende brake bridge had a tight fit for Conti 25c, but was *just* acceptable.

I'm not too much into color bling, although I do have a 2013 El Mariachi in burnt orange set up as a hybrid, that came with gold highlights.

jzisk
01-09-2016, 11:13 AM
I have the same age Marcelo, with an Ouzo Pro fork, using Hutch Intensive 25's on Stans Alpha 340 (32 DT Comp, 2x/3x, Record hubs), and I think it rides like a dream. None of the reputed harshness. Lithe in corners and strong up our Ithaca 15% grades. I'm comparing it to three astonishingly sweet-riding mid-70's to early-80's 531, SL and SLX vintages, and also to a Serotta Ti Legend and an Indy Fab SSR. The Peg has a certain feel that is quite distinct. A little bite, a little more body under you when you push it, but it is probably the most aggressive frame I ride.

bluesea
01-09-2016, 11:52 AM
I have the same age Marcelo, with an Ouzo Pro fork, using Hutch Intensive 25's on Stans Alpha 340 (32 DT Comp, 2x/3x, Record hubs), and I think it rides like a dream. None of the reputed harshness. Lithe in corners and strong up our Ithaca 15% grades. I'm comparing it to three astonishingly sweet-riding mid-70's to early-80's 531, SL and SLX vintages, and also to a Serotta Ti Legend and an Indy Fab SSR. The Peg has a certain feel that is quite distinct. A little bite, a little more body under you when you push it, but it is probably the most aggressive frame I ride.

Thanks, may I ask how much you weigh? Harsh ride qualities are an open conundrum in the Duende-Marcelo debate.

jzisk
01-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks, may I ask how much you weigh? Harsh ride qualities are an open conundrum in the Duende-Marcelo debate.

I weight 160, at 6' 1" height, and am a reasonably competitive rider (at 60y.o.). I think the debate is dependent on habits and comparison too. I used a Ridley Helium, but junked it after a year... my last carbon ride. It felt dead. And all my steel and Ti bikes felt lively, with times as fast over the 20-50 mile ride (very hilly here). I did the calculations, and figured I'd lose a few seconds in a race using steel, and I don't race. Now, with a metal habit, and an eschewing carbon past, the Peg feels just fine.

jzisk
01-09-2016, 12:14 PM
...And I looked at the Duende, but saw "compromise" writ large. Maybe not, maybe it's perfect for some riders, but I know what I like. I loved my CAAD3 a ways back.

Climb01742
01-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Whether I reach for my Marcelo or my Duende depends on two things: the roads I'm planning on riding and how my lower back is feeling.:D I know this is highly subjective (duh) but on smooth roads, the Marcelo may be the best bike ever made. But the rear end of a Duende does mellow out vibration from bad roads a bit better. That said, the % difference in how much more effectively a Marcelo translates rider input into power output, while noticeable, is not dramatic enough to be called a compromise in my book. For me, it's the difference in mood rather than kind. Now, if we were comparing a GGM...now that bad boy was harsh.:rolleyes: Buying a Marcelo is_never_a mistake. The key comes down your roads and the wheels you choose. Everyone should own a Marcelo at least once.:beer:

fuzzalow
01-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Everyone should own a Marcelo at least once.:beer:

Hear hear! :hello:

uber
01-09-2016, 03:54 PM
I love that paint scheme too. Only you can say if the Marcelo is too stiff for you. I sold my 8 year old BLE to get a new Marcelo. I can't tell a big difference in stiffness or performance between the two. I don't think I will be able to part with the Marcelo.

livingminimal
01-09-2016, 04:33 PM
but on smooth roads, the Marcelo may be the best bike ever made.

Completely agree. At least the best I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Unfortunately, mine's shelved while El Nino takes its toll. Too many chips and rocks and ····ty road or potential for crashing.

livingminimal
01-09-2016, 04:34 PM

I weigh 270+ish right now. My race weight is 255lbs. Marcelo is the perfect bike.

bluesea
01-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Great input:beer:!

beeatnik
01-10-2016, 05:00 PM
I like bikeridah's Italo style.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=169726

bluesea
01-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I like bikeridah's Italo style.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=169726

Same here, but I'm gonna pass for now. Recently picked up a BMC Gran Fondo as a vehicle for my recovery from 2x patellar tendinitis. I should probably complete that recovery first, and *then* buy a Pegoretti, which is basically the only bike on the list. It good to have the questions answered ahead of time. :)