PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ride a Synapse?

redir
01-08-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm seriously considering one of these bikes for this year, and many more to come, and I suppose I'm just looking for some positive reviews to rienforce my opinion of it :)

Negative reviews are also welcome.

I still race. Not as much as I used to and I don't have any high expectations like I used to. The last race I won was probably 7 years ago as a cat 3 and it's been all down hill ever since. But I still enjoy it and get just enough training to not get dropped (till the end) and maybe help out a younger teammate.

I've been riding and racing a Moots compact for the last 7 or 8 years and while it's a great bike I bought it in a sort of traditional old school race frame that was smaller and fitted to me. It's a great bike. I love it, fast and corners like it's on rails.

But you know how it is, ya get the itch.

Anyway I do more regular Joe riding now anyway and where I live you pretty much can't avoid gravel roads, which I hate BTW. I am not considering the Synapse for a gravel bike because if it were up to me I'd never ride on gravel. But I like the philosophy behind these bikes. It almost seems to me as though they are a sort of throw back to the old style bikes where you had a more upright position, longer wheel base, and could actually fit some large tires.

I have a few of those vintage steel bikes too.

Of course the Synapse is carbon and a compact frame so it's different.

So what do you think? Is it a race worthy bike that is also a pleasure to ride long distances on over a variety of terrain or is it just an old man bike? :D

JAGI410
01-08-2016, 11:49 AM
I think the Synapse is a great riding bike, certainly capable of what you're looking for. It's not old man-ish and super upright. It's fast and comfortable!

A gravel bike is isn't though. It can handle gravel, but it wouldn't be my first choice. The GT Grade deserves serious consideration for a similar bike with more tire clearance and gravel capability, while still being fast and comfortable like the Synapse.

cdn_bacon
01-08-2016, 12:05 PM
when you look at it, coming from a moots ti compact for all those years, anything will feel different. The choice is ultimately yours.

but personally I'd take a CAAD 10 over a Synapse. By the time you put carbon bars, carbon stem, carbon seat post on the CAAD 10 it's basically the same and she races just fine. I've sat on mine for over 100k without a complaint. But if it is the synapse you're after. get the uber HiMod. nothing old-manish about that.

MadRocketSci
01-08-2016, 01:27 PM
i rented one in spain, and test rode one at the LBS, basic models with 105 wheels, lithion tires, seemed to take bigger road hits well (as in didn't really feel them), road "buzz" was the same as other mid-level carbon bikes, but really didn't see what the "road bike of the year" fuss was all about. The pluses are the increased clearances, taller head tubes, longer wheel base, disc brakes if that's what you're looking for, the minuses are that goofy-a&& bb30a, proprietary seat post diameter, and some interesting geometries on sizes 54 and below.

mwynne
01-08-2016, 02:53 PM
Sold a heck of a lot of them when I used to work for a dealer (Cannondale + Trek shop), and I'd say set up well they are a delight to ride. I'd say not ideal for racing, or a lot of gravel riding though. I've got an older CAAD myself and love it, but I'm itching for a custom bike... probably based more around the Synapse geo...

ofcounsel
01-08-2016, 02:56 PM
I recently had the opportunity to pick up a 2015 Di2/Disc synapse. I love the bike. It's very compliant over 4/5 hour rides but feels stiff when you get on the gas. I wouldn't suggest it as a "race bike", but you won't have problems keeping up on the weekend club ride. I run 28mm tires, which spread out to about 31.5 mm mounted on my rims. No issues. Love it.

Bob Ross
01-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I've ridden an original Synapse Carbon 2 since they were first introduced in 2006. It's been relegated to Backup/Bike #2 duty since I got my Strong in 2010, but I still put several thousand miles per year on it, and it's showing no signs of falling apart after these past 9+ years of hard riding.

Not sure why these ever got lumped into the "comfort bike" category, after 100 miles every bike is uncomfortable, and the Synapse is no exception. It is a bit more "stable" than a CAAD, which either means "less twitchy" or "less responsive" depending on your preferences. Definitely likes to go in a straight line.

Friend of mine from the Club moved from CAT5 to CAT3 in 15 months, all on a similar vintage Synapse as mine, so no reason you can't race a one. otoh, yeah, it wouldn't be my first choice for gravel, mostly because the clearance doesn't look promising for anything bigger than 25s [edit: though tbh I've never tested this.] Also, as I just recently discovered, it's impossible to fit Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders on a Synapse.

I can only imagine the 2016 Synapses are even better than mine. I'd recommend it to anyone shopping for an off-the-shelf road bike.

Pelican
01-08-2016, 05:51 PM
Negative reviews are also welcome.

Sorry, you won't get one from me. It's my favorite bike, possibly ever. But I'm also an ex-racer (like decades ago), old-man with a bad back, mixed riding.

So what do you think? Is it a race worthy bike that is also a pleasure to ride long distances on over a variety of terrain or is it just an old man bike?
:D

It is definitely race worthy because the Pros use it, and most of us aren't missing out on podiums because of equipment. It's probably the most comfortable bike I've owned (from a long list) and still one of the lightest at 15lbs full-up (pedals, cages, alloy wheels). I haven't put a ton of miles on mine yet, but it was a magical ride from the very first spin. A truly wonderful bike by all measures.

I don't know why the market has overlooked/undervalued the Synapse. The good news is they are a really good deal used.

Ralph
01-09-2016, 06:15 AM
What is wrong with the alloy versions? I assume they are lower level.....price wise anyway. I notice some of them seem to have a 68 MM threaded BB. Or is that just older models?

Davist
01-09-2016, 06:36 AM
What is wrong with the alloy versions? I assume they are lower level.....price wise anyway. I notice some of them seem to have a 68 MM threaded BB. Or is that just older models?

When I was shopping for one, the alloy version was very heavy vs the CAAD10 I ended up with, noticeably. I had been out of road cycling for about a decade and riding an old mt bike with slicks and it still felt heavy to me. I know, heavy doesn't really matter (compared to my 185lbs) but I was a bit surprised. I didn't like the fit, which was another reason I went with the CAAD. If it fits, plenty of folks in my club have them (carbon version with the split seat tube) and routinely race/gravel/ride faster than me. New ones come with 28s, if that matters. Cassette is a pizza pie like wide range if that matters. I don't think any of recent vintage ~5yrs have other than bb30 or bb30 wide or plus or A or whatever, though..

redir
01-09-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the feed back. It really is hard to fins a bad review bout these bikes but you know how reviews go on sites that are trying to sell bikes too.

MadRocketSci
01-09-2016, 01:08 PM
http://cyclingtips.com/2015/04/cannondale-synapse-hi-mod-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cyclingtipsblog%2FTJog+%28Cyc ling+Tips%29

Not a gushing review, and one i'd agree with after 2 days with one in Girona...the steering/handling comments will of course depend on size, as the front end trails vary pretty significantly between them.

redir
01-09-2016, 05:40 PM
^ Good review, thanks for that.

josephr
01-09-2016, 06:26 PM

My main bike is a Synapse aluminum and I use for group rides, centuries...don't really race as that's not my thing. Equipped for with full105, an upgraded wheelset, comes in at 20.5 lbs with cages, pedals. Not nearly lively enough for racing, IMHO. That being said, the ride is awesome and never thought aluminum could be smooth and comfortable.

Older Synapses have the 68mm BB, but the new one are PF30 and come with stock, junky FSA bearings and an FSA Gossamer crank (crank is pretty good, actually) but the best move I made was to switch to a Wheels MFG converting BB which stopped the creakiness and the bearings are so much smoother you can feel it instantly...plus the 105 chainrings just shift so much better than the Gossamer.

Anyway, that's my short review --- I plan on getting my money out of this bike for a couple of more years and certainly sold on the Synapse --- if they keep saying the Synapse Carbon Hi-Mod is the bee's knees, that's probably what I'll upgrade too. Of course, if I'm putting $5k down a bike, it freakin' better be the bee's knees!

shovelhd
01-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Race the Moots. Ride the Synapse. Get a gravel bike for off road. Expecting one bike to do all three is unrealistic. The Synapse will be fine for road races but for crits you're not going to be happy.

redir
01-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Race the Moots. Ride the Synapse. Get a gravel bike for off road. Expecting one bike to do all three is unrealistic. The Synapse will be fine for road races but for crits you're not going to be happy.

That was kind of my thoughts too. The Moots corners like it's on a track. I point it and it goes! And with good tubular tires it's a really solid feel. She's not bad on long rides but being set up to race I'm definitely stretched out and low. That plus getting older I feel it in my neck more often then not on long rides.

Pelican
01-09-2016, 08:38 PM
if they keep saying the Synapse Carbon Hi-Mod is the bee's knees, that's probably what I'll upgrade too. Of course, if I'm putting $5k down a bike, it freakin' better be the bee's knees!

I could sell every other bike and ride the Synapse (I have the HiMod Red 22) for the rest of my life and be happy. I don't think people understand how phenomenal it is as a quiver-killer.

It's the cat's pajamas!