PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Gearing for Flatlanders

scrooge
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm considering a possible move to Denver and am asking the all important bike questions--what gearing will I likely need to ride in Denver and the mountains? I'm a fairly average cyclist and have never ridden in the mountains. Currently, in Michigan, I use a typical 53/39 and 12/25 (though I have a 110 bolt pattern up front so switching to a compact wouldn't be a problem). So what do you Colorado folks use? Triple? Compact? "Normal" gearing? Will I need a break in season with easier gearing....? Do tell.

Bud
06-01-2006, 08:46 AM
First of all- welcome. I hope it works out for you, because this is a great place to live and ride.

I ride a triple (52-42-30) but have friends that ride compacts. I think it all depends on your riding style, etc. However, you'll probably find that the 39 x 25 gear is not going to make you too happy if you decide to ride the passes and peaks (unless you like crushing your knees). I'd say don't change anything until you move here and go for a few rides, then consider your options.

Think about this type of ride: If you are on the front range and want to head up a canyon into the foothills, you can count on climbing 3000 to 4000 feet in anywhere from 17 to 25 miles of road. That's a pretty steady 5% with some 7-11% mixed in. Many of the climbs aren't super steep, but they can be quite long. Then again, canyon riding is only one type of ride around here. There are lots of rolling rides down off the front range which are great, too.

Good luck with the moving decisions.

Tailwinds
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm considering a possible move to Denver and am asking the all important bike questions--what gearing will I likely need to ride in Denver and the mountains? I'm a fairly average cyclist and have never ridden in the mountains. Currently, in Michigan, I use a typical 53/39 and 12/25 (though I have a 110 bolt pattern up front so switching to a compact wouldn't be a problem). So what do you Colorado folks use? Triple? Compact? "Normal" gearing? Will I need a break in season with easier gearing....? Do tell.

Don't be shy about getting a triple or a compact. You will see LOTS of STRONG riders spinning up the mountains in tiny gears here.

When I first moved to Denver from FL, I put a 12/27 on my bike (39 up front), and I could go pretty much anywhere... but I ended up letting go of my ego eventually. :rolleyes:

I have a 50/34 w/a 12-27 on one bike, and it's great for the REALLY steep stuff, but for riding around Denver, it's overkill. I really like my 53/39 w/a 13/29 on my Kirk, but YMMV.

Maybe you should try a cheap mountain bike cassette and rear derailleur when you first get here if putting a 12/27 (or 13/29 if you have Campy and the proper rear derailleur) doesn't do it for you. You will have plenty of gears and probably won't mind the jumps between cogs, b/c when you want to downshift here, you REALLY want to downshift. It's a fairly inexpensive way to start out... then you can decide how small your gears should really be.

97CSI
06-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Doesn't get much more 'flatlander than the southern shore of NJ (our highest peak is 105'). Have riden 3 BTCs since '00. Being an incredibly average rider, every time I've gone out I've used a triple with a 29 rear cog and have been fine. Last time ('05) I went out with a 50/34 compact and the 29 rear cog and only rode for a couple days around Boulder before dropping by Excel Sports and replacing the compact with a triple. The 30/29 heading up the pass just before Estes Park sure was nice!! And last year we rode up Mt. Evans. Same thing there.

Once you get your 'climbing legs' you may find that you can go back to a double. But my friend who lives in Boulder now does all his riding with a triple and 29 rear cog and tells me he will never bother with anything else. I certainly wouldn't.

Oh....did I mention I'm jealous. I would dearly love to live out that way. But the divorce would be too expensive. :D

John Price
06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I've lived here in Denver for nearly 6 years. As Tailwinds commented, for around the city you shan't need a triple. But, if you intend to ride any of the mountain passes around here a triple is a good thing. And there are plenty of mountain roads to ride and explore.

Personally, I see no reason not to have a triple. The extra chainring adds next to nothing in weight and can be a very valuable asset when the road rises, or the legs just need to spin easier.

One thing you may notice though, triple not withstanding, is a shortness of breath for the first few weeks. I moved here from St Lou. (before that Phoenix, before that Lincoln). On my first few rides I found my legs did fine but I was panting and puffing. Air's a bit thinner here.

Also, you'll find lots of good riding here from such organized events as Elephant Rock to Bicycle Tour of CO. To just having miles and miles of trails through the city. This is a good place to commute to work by bike. Dress right, and you can ride pretty much year round too.

John Price
Aurora CO

Bradford
06-01-2006, 09:26 AM
One thing you may notice though, triple not withstanding, is a shortness of breath for the first few weeks.

I had my first 3 rides in Denver last weekend. Shortness of breath is an understatement. On the first ride, I had an asthma attack and couldn't breath at all, and that usually only happens to me when it is under 30 degrees. The next two were much better, but still nothing like sea level. I am looking forward to feeling normal on the bike again.

I haven't ventured off to the mountains yet, but the climbs are much bigger in the front range than I thought they would be. Nothing my double can't handle, but still nice climbs.

I may be switching over to a triple eventually, but for now I'll just take the touring bike when I head to the mountains.

Bud
06-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree with John- I see no reason against having a triple (and my 12-27!). Some people think it's not cool, but whatever. . . It's totally practical. I like having all of those gearing options. And this is a great place to bike commute. I ride in every day and we have great bike lanes, shoulders, etc.

Bradford- my wife has asthma too and when we moved here she struggled for a while. She's better now, but if we push it too hard when climbing at altitude she still has an attack.

I'm not sure exactly how long it takes for your blood to acclimatize (others know more than I- chime in) but I think it's more like a few months until your red cell count is up.

Lincoln
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
We have pretty similar riding here in Utah. I would also suggest trying a 27 (or whatever is the lowest gear you can get) in back and see how that works. Then if you decide to upgrade bikes at some point in the future you may want to switch to a triple. I like to go fast on the downhills so the triple is not for me.

I was in and around Denver last weekend and was wishing that I had my bike with me. Some great riding.

BTW, it felt to me like it took almost a year to get completely used to the altitude (though the worst of it was over in a few weeks).

BoulderGeek
06-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey, Bud, I'm only a mile or two away over in Lafayette, off 287.

I started riding in the hills of Pennsylvania as a youngster, and my ego hasn't changed much since. I'm a softening 38 years and 212lbs today, and I tend to ride a 12-25 around my rolling flatlands of eastern Boulder County. When I ascend, I tend to use a 12-27 against standard 53/39 chainrings.

That said, I am frequently out of the saddle and straining. I went over for the Tour a few years ago, and brought my 25-tooth rear wheel instead of the 27. I was dying as I crawled up the Col du Telegraphe, Col du Galibier and Les Deux Alpes.

My as-yet-undelivered, new-to-me Nove will have my first compact cranks, FSA Carbons. While I still haven't "allowed" myself to go triple, the smaller rings will probably be appreciated.

I guess it depends what you want to climb. I've never done Mt. Evans. I'm sure I would be wheezing up a storm. Standard front gearing with a 27 usually works fine for me on all but the gnarliest climbs.

93legendti
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I did many a Tour in Colorado with a 53 x 39 and 12-27 and did fine. When my wife and I went to Napa Sonoma, I gave her a mtn rear der. and a 12-32 cogset and that worked out great. She was a pretty new rider and I didn't want to confuse her with a triple. A 50 x 34 compact crank with 11-25 (substitute an 11 from a 11-21 for the 12) would probably be great. The q factor on a triple bugs my IT band, so I like to avoid them.

dauwhe
06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I like to go fast on the downhills so the triple is not for me.

Were you referring to compacts rather than triples?

Dave, who still misses Colorado!

Dave
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
If you've never experienced Campy, now is the time. I made the move from the Kansas City area 3 years ago. In the KC area, I used a 53/39 with a 12-21 until 2000, when 10 speed came out, then I switched to a 12-25 (never missed that 18T).

Before I made the move to Denver I was certain a triple was the way to go, so I built a climbing bike with a 53/39/30 and a 12-25. Although it's certainly possible to get by with a 53/39 an a 12-27 (shimano), there will be a lot of places where the 27 won't allow you to remain seated and you'll have to stand. Standing over a 2-mile steep grade isn't much fun. That's where Campy's 13-29 can be handy, but you lose your top gear for the descent.

With the triple you don't lose top gear and you've got more low gear. A 30/27 or 28/25 (campy) provide the equivalent to a 39/35. That should get most folks up just about anything. If not, that's where the 13-29 can again be useful.

I don't like Campy's crank offerings (no 39T middle ring), so I use much cheaper FSA Team Issue carbon cranks and ISIS BBs. These are dirt cheap on E-bay. I got one for $124, but $170 is more common.

I guess that I should add that my suggestions are mostly relevant to fit recreational riders and older guys like me (53 on Sunday). Racers, even those in their forties would never use anything lower than a 39/27 or 39/25. Some of these guys are incredible mashers. One of these guys caught up to me at the start of my regular 10-mile climb today. He was grinding out what looked like a 53/23 (seated). Got no clue why he didn't shift to the 39/17. I'm normally in a 39/23 at the start of this climb and usually shift down to the 30/19. I've toughed it out and stayed in a 39/23 for a couple of miles, but there is no advantage to doing this, unless you consider it a muscle building interval. I'm trying to get more years from arthritis damaged knees and spinning is the way to do it.

crossjunkee
06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I've found gear choice is just like anywhere, racers are not going to be caught dead with a triple, casual, but serious riders, won't care. It's normal Campy gearing for me, 53/39 front and a 13/26 or 11/23 rear. I moved here from the midwest 1 year ago. The first year it was hard, this year, not bad at all. I also just did the Ironhorse with that gear combination. Sure a compact would've been nice, just for the bail out gears. But not worth the investment at this point. I figure there's room for me to toughen up.

If most of your riding will be in the front range, stick with what you have. On the mountain days, throw a 13/29 on and go for it. That's if you have a medium cage, Campy deraileur. That's basically the same as a compact 34 front, and a 12/25 rear.

You can see my current setup in the custom bike gallery, look for the "Spectrum ti" posting from a couple days ago.

With that said, you will get your butt kicked out here. There are seriously strong riders that blow past me daily. They come in all shapes and sizes. Wait until you get out here, go climb lookout mtn. in Golden, and then determine what works for you.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your move!

Eric E
06-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Is what I run on the Front Range of Colorado. I take the 13-28 Veloce cassette, replace the 13 with a 12 (doesn't shift as well as the 13, but this is my "go fast downhill" gear so I have time to trim if needed), and I'm good for faster club rides and lightly loaded mountain tours.

I see no benefits to running a double, compact or otherwise, for me.

Eric

Lincoln
06-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Were you referring to compacts rather than triples?

Dave, who still misses Colorado!

Yes! Thanks.

It must have been that Vermont Public School edumacation...

mwos
06-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Bud, a tip for your wife if she hasn't tried it. I have Exercise Induced Asthma and my Allergist recommended that I use my inhaler 20 minutes before I start exercising. I use it before I bike, hike, ski, snowshoe, etc. and it really helps.

When I started riding here last year I really noticed the altitude, specifically when I climbed. We kept going back to the midwest and I had to adjust every time I came back.

This year I haven't struggled with the altitude. Maybe its because I've focused on building endurance and been keeping my heartrate low.

Scrooge, most of the day to day riding we do around Denver is pretty flat. My gearing doesn't count because I have 650c wheels but my SO uses a 53x39 with a 12x34 cassette. He has strong legs and this gearing works for him.

We have a condo for a month in Summit County and I've been riding here to get some hills, easy, but good muscle building for me right now. I climbed Vail Pass today. Not a bad climb, I'm just slow. I stopped at the rest area near the top, there are stairs to climb, and a tourist behind me was wheezing so bad I thought I needed to call 911!

Kathi

CalfeeFly
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Bud, a tip for your wife if she hasn't tried it. I have Exercise Induced Asthma and my Allergist recommended that I use my inhaler 20 minutes before I start exercising. I use it before I bike, hike, ski, snowshoe, etc. and it really helps. Kathi

I use an inhaler as well for the same reason. At first I wondered if it was a mental thing. Then one day I forgot my couple of shots and wondered on the first steep little climb why I was having the "old" breathing problems. Then I remembered I forgot to use my inhaler. :crap:

In answer to gearing I'd:
Wait until you get there since so many factors come into play such as your weight (gravity ;) ); knees; climbing strength; how much you "like" to suffer; etc. Because of these and others you could be different from another. Plus out west many of the roads are recently engineered so the climbs are not as brutal as some of the eastern roads that once held wagons. I'd guess the back roads that once served the mining industry are as brutal as well as the climbs around Durango where the elevation changes are more severe.

I do think it is important not to give a crap what anyone else says and concentrate on what works for you. I know people who don't ride a triple just for that reason. A triple gives you additional ratios and that is it. Pros have used them when the situation was such those ratios were needed by them. Fred M. of RoadBikeRider.com once wrote if Lance rides a 39 X 25 in the mountains what is the average rider doing on it? His whole article was about using what works best for you. I was amazed how much he was flamed at his own site and with his expertise and experience. Lance was riding part of the Giro route on his own I believe it was the year before 6 and he was using a 27 on the steepest climb. At one time you could be made fun of for running anything other than a 23.

Fortunately we have come beyond that in most instances. I have both compacts and Triples. I like my Dura Ace Triple because it is essentially a 39 x 53 with the 30 "hung" on it. I have the 9 speed which had a triple specific shifter. It is set up so that you can ride the 39 x 53 just as though the 30 isn't even there. The first shift in the big ring is a trim which allows you to ride the full cassette based on how you feel about cross chaining. When you want the extra ratios of the 30 they are there. My son goes to school in Indiana and one day I did a little over one hundred miles there and never used my 30. At home in Pittsburgh (we have the Allegheny Mts.) I don't get far without using it. If I don't I won't be walking the next day since my one knee is really bad. If you have parts for nine speed Shimano I'd mix and match a few and go with a Dura Ace Triple if you want to minimize expense.

Recently I put a Campy Carbon Record Compact on another bike and I instantly became a HUGE fan of Campy. It is a more precision unit although I still feel both companies make a good product.

Basically each both a compact and triple can give you a similar range of ratios. The difference is that with a triple you get more and it is easier to have a "low low" and a higher high. For example with a Dura Ace 9 you can have a 30 x 27 low and a 53 x 12 high gear.

I used to think that I needed that high or higher of a high gear since I love to hammer down hills. I started to keep track and through increasing my spin I can make up for most of the "loss." If the hill is steep enough and there isn't traffic I can go faster in a tuck. In most instances since I'm in traffic much over 35 on the downhill flats with a lot of intersections is about all I want to risk. There are just way too many cars that turn in front of bikes and pull out on you.

I recently read (I think it was Fred again) that a compact has all the high gear you need unless you think you are going to be sprinting next to Cippo, Alex, Robbie or such. I think he is right.

I hope you enjoy your move. Many on this forum and the Calfee forum speak very highly of the riding in Colorado. There are supposed to be some great roads.

97CSI
06-02-2006, 04:51 AM
I like to go fast on the downhills so the triple is not for me.Interesting.....I ride in Colorado most every summer (moving this summer, so will be the first time I've missed CO in the last eight). And I, too like going fast downhill (I'm built for the downhill - uphill is much more work :D its a physics thing). And never have a problem hitting 50mph with a triple and 12-29 rear. My crazy former racer friend from Boulder occasionally hits 60mph with his triple. So there is defintely nothing inherent in a triple to keep one from going fast. Like a double, a triple has a 53 big ring, if you want.

Lincoln
06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, as was pointed out to me on the previous page I meant compact, not triple. My bad.

I find on some of the long steady grades (especially when there is a tailwind) the 53x12 gets spun out and I would rather keep pedaling than just coast.

bozman
06-02-2006, 03:36 PM
I had my Strong built with Chorus compact 34/50 and 13/29 in the rear and I have had good luck with it thus far. My LBS recommended the compact over the triple because the shifting is more precise. I am a big guy, 6'4", 215 lbs, and have not had any issues with this set up.

I moved here from the midwest six and half years ago and it took me about six months to adjust to exercising at this altitude.

Dekonick
06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I asked my sister (family practice MD in the Rockies) about how long it takes to acclimate to 8,000 ft (5k @ Denver...)

She answered it takes approximately 6 months for your body to produce enough RBC's to compensate. Healthy people have a room air oxygen saturation of 92% at 8kft - Sea level SPO2 should not drop below 98% if you are fit... below 96% is mildly hypoxic (at sea level) - so a 92% SPO2 is not going to feel great. What you need to make up for the thin air and lack of O2 is O2 carrying RBC's...

Your kidneys will begin to take up some slack for you in the first couple of days by altering your blood levels of bicarbonate... but you won't get relief until you build up a crit worthy of a doper ;)

I believe Lance Armstrong used to sleep in an altitude tent to achieve similar results.

Colorado is beautiful. Enjoy!