PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Serotta Value

snah
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
This has been listed locally for at least 2 months. I know fitted with SRAM is sacreligious, but I kinda like it. I haven't seen many aluminum Serottas, anyone have any experience, advice, idea on value?

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/5380580816.html

As always, appreciate any help.

djg21
01-07-2016, 07:53 PM
These very briefly were made for Serotta by Kinesis if I recall correctly. I think in the late 90s. I don't think I'd pay that much for a 20-yr old frame, irrespective of the parts.

dave thompson
01-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Worth maybe half the asking price if it's in really good condition.

Beautiful bikes but notorious for a harsh ride. Try it before you buy.

mmelito
01-08-2016, 06:16 AM
after this many years, my concern would be aluminum fatigue. Paint condition, welds and pitting surrounding stress areas are indicators to look for. Otherwise, you can negotiate a bit better price if they want to move the bike.

Good luck!

sandyrs
01-08-2016, 07:46 AM

Was the asking price $795 when you posted this or was it lowered?

livingminimal
01-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Slightly OT (all apologies):

I have absolutely no love for using SRAM, but why is it sacrilegious in this context?

oldpotatoe
01-08-2016, 08:00 AM

I have absolutely no love for using SRAM, but why is it sacrilegious in this context?

read label

livingminimal
01-08-2016, 08:08 AM
read label

Ahh clearly there's some history on this forum Im not aware of ;)

Just for the record, I definitely do not begrudge anyone's gear choice, different strokes for different folks. I think the only sacrilegious thing I've seen is a Pegoretti with SRAM (then again, some folks would say the same about mine with Shimano)

zap
01-08-2016, 08:22 AM
edited

Agreed, the one I tested was very harsh. Certainly no Klein.

snah
01-08-2016, 08:44 AM

I'm actually a ShimagnolAM user, have all three and like all equally, it was only a little reference to the Campy love that lives on this forum.

snah
01-08-2016, 08:45 AM

His price actually started at $1k IIRC.

snah
01-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Ahh clearly there's some history on this forum Im not aware of ;)

Just for the record, I definitely do not begrudge anyone's gear choice, different strokes for different folks. I think the only sacrilegious thing I've seen is a Pegoretti with SRAM (then again, some folks would say the same about mine with Shimano)

I just might be in trouble for this one....... At least I have Campy on my Colnago!:D

tv_vt
01-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Actually, I don't think that's a bad price. The stock Al frames came with an aluminum fork - the F1, though heavy, is an upgrade. Plus that frame color is not stock. The Al frames came in two colors, red and big boy blue, with two options - full frame painted, or rear end unpainted with polished aluminum. That frame color does not look like Big Boy Blue, and it has white decals - the BBB Al frame came with yellow decals.
So that frame is a bit of a one-off, from what I can tell.

But having owned a Big Boy Blue 60cm Al Serotta (with the stock aluminum fork), I can state it rode harshly. On the other hand, I test rode a steel Atlanta and the aluminum Serotta and thought the Al frame was nicer. Go figure.

dave thompson
01-08-2016, 09:01 AM

My reaction was to the $795 price.

rwsaunders
01-08-2016, 09:09 AM
I test rode an AL Serotta once and it reminded me of the older Cannodale road frames...pretty accurate steering but if was really unforgiving in the rear end when you took it on rough roads.

I can't tell from the photos if that's a threaded F1 or not, but it looks to be fairly long (could be a threadless adapter). There always seems to be a replacement market for those forks with the 1" diameter steerer tubes. If it fits and you feel comfortable with a sale price, strap some Crud Catcher fenders on it and make it your rain bike.

sandyrs
01-08-2016, 09:10 AM
My reaction was to the $795 price.

Got it. I would have thought half that would be a bit low just based on it being a complete bike, but I suppose 10spd SRAM probably doesn't add a ton to many folks' valuation of the package...

rwsaunders
01-08-2016, 09:22 AM
As a PS, this one has been on eBay for a while...same price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-1997-Serotta-Colorado-AL-Aluminum-Mens-60cm-Road-Bike-Dura-Ace-/281896022166?hash=item41a24ff096:g:dPMAAOSwVZNTmfs 9

batman1425
01-08-2016, 09:29 AM

I think that is maybe a bit low... I know there is a lot of SRAM hate on these boards, but you could get 400-500 for all the components parted out. Add to that whatever you think the F/F is worth - 200-300 maybe depending on condition.

If you like it, it fits, and is in good shape, I think 600-650 is a reasonable price. IMO, complete bikes like this are worth just a touch less than the sum of their parts.

Big Dan
01-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Don't get SRAM hate at all.

batman1425
01-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Me either. Have it on 4 bikes. No more issues than the Ultegra or Record I used before it.

dave thompson
01-08-2016, 09:55 AM
I think that is maybe a bit low... I know there is a lot of SRAM hate on these boards, but you could get 400-500 for all the components parted out. Add to that whatever you think the F/F is worth - 200-300 maybe depending on condition.

If you like it, it fits, and is in good shape, I think 600-650 is a reasonable price. IMO, complete bikes like this are worth just a touch less than the sum of their parts.
No SRAM hate, at least from me. IMO Alu Serotta frames are worth very little. They are beautiful but are not good rides. Serotta was not under the ownership of Ben Serotta when these bikes were designed and manufactured, they never sold well when other brands of aluminum bikes were.

Back in the day I was really a big Serotta fanboy. I've had almost everything they made in road bikes, sometimes multiples. I didn't have an aluminum Serotta because they rode absolutely, terribly harsh and other than the brand name, they shared none of the great qualities of Serotta with other Serottas.

Big Dan
01-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Look for some steel Serottas.

Colorado
CSI
CIII
CDA

You will see.

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Cannondales were also noted for a harsh ride as well, but if you want a good criterium bike, the harsher the better. It's like a sports car beefed up with heavy duty suspension. Serotta's were good bikes.

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 12:24 PM

I hate the SRAM chains. I will only put on Shimano chains. I never could get the SRAM to stop skipping.

Big Dan
01-08-2016, 01:02 PM
I hate the SRAM chains. I will only put on Shimano chains. I never could get the SRAM to stop skipping.

That's you bud. I have no problems with SRAM chains.
Anyways those Kinesis/Serottas are not that good.
Just go get a Specialized A1 from the same time and you will be set.

stephenyi
01-10-2016, 09:14 AM
If it fits and you feel comfortable with a sale price, strap some Crud Catcher fenders on it and make it your rain bike.

I picked one up from the Paceline classifieds at a good price a few years ago and this is exactly what I've done. Although welded by Kinesis in Portland, OR instead of by Serotta in NY, it has identical geometry with my steel Serotta 20th anniversary frameset and serves as an ideal rain bike. And I don't find the ride harsh at all.

PFSLABD
01-10-2016, 09:20 AM
That's you bud. I have no problems with SRAM chains.
Anyways those Kinesis/Serottas are not that good.
Just go get a Specialized A1 from the same time and you will be set.

A local bike shop installed the SRAM chain on my old Bike Friday. All it did was skip. I removed it and installed a Shimano chain. I tried a Nashbar SRAM on my Lemond, same problem so I'm going to stick with Shimano. Maybe there's a knack for installing them, but the bike shop owner didn't have that knack, either.

Hilltopperny
01-10-2016, 10:34 AM
FWIW I sold a frame and fork with rough paint for $140 last year. The aluminum serottas are not particularly valuable. If it fits and rides how you like don't be afraid to make a reasonable offer.

Big Dan
01-10-2016, 11:56 AM
A local bike shop installed the SRAM chain on my old Bike Friday. All it did was skip. I removed it and installed a Shimano chain. I tried a Nashbar SRAM on my Lemond, same problem so I'm going to stick with Shimano. Maybe there's a knack for installing them, but the bike shop owner didn't have that knack, either.

Maybe you need a new shop.
I've been using SRAM chains for over 20 years with no problems.
I don't go to local bike shops.

:cool:

back to Serotta frame, you guys needed to be here 12 years ago when the main topics were Serotta and Lance.
If you want to know why Serotta became famous, find a steel Serotta or a Legend Ti.

ofcounsel
01-10-2016, 12:10 PM

SRAM = innovation. Some folks in the world are anti-innovation. ;) I get that in some respects. I'm still stuck on early 90's hip-hop and 80's alternative.

Fondri
01-10-2016, 12:28 PM
I think you'll make the most parting it out. Maybe add type of wheels to the description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PFSLABD
01-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Maybe you need a new shop.
I've been using SRAM chains for over 20 years with no problems.
I don't go to local bike shops.

:cool:

back to Serotta frame, you guys needed to be here 12 years ago when the main topics were Serotta and Lance.
If you want to know why Serotta became famous, find a steel Serotta or a Legend Ti.

I don't know. I think it could be that my Shimano groupo was explicitly designed for Shimano chains, and the SRAM, probably doesn't have the exacting precision tolerances of the Shimano chain. That's the only thing I can figure. I suppose a SRAM chain is really designed to work on SRAM derailleurs and is close but not close enough for Shimano. Incidentally, I'm using old Shimano 600 Ultegra derailleurs for both bikes, though I did change to a Sora rear derailleur this fall. SRAM chains might work, now.