PDA

View Full Version : OT - selecting a good skate xc ski

2wheelwill
01-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Since lots of cyclists also cross-country ski I was hoping to get some advice on choosing skate skis. I'm an intermediate classic xc skier but really want to learn skating.

Some initial research suggest that even beginners should buy the best ski they can afford - like racing skis. I'm not ready to drop $1000 on a pair of skis to learn on so wondering how to select best ski for closer to $300-$400. I see plenty of skis at REI in that price range but haven't found much help in differentiating them.

If it matters, I mostly ski at Royal Gorge which is at nearly 7000ft in the Sierras and all fully groomed.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptStash
01-06-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm on Fisher RCS skis and my wife loves her Atomics. I recommend renting, then asking instructors what they think. Also learn to wax. It's all about the wax.

CaptStash....

bewheels
01-07-2016, 04:48 AM
....I recommend renting, then asking instructors what they think. Also learn to wax. It's all about the wax.

CaptStash....

+1
The good news is that like modern bikes, modern skate skies are hard to get "wrong". It is more about what you might like slightly more. If you really get into it, the you will know more about what you really want to do with them.
Then you find a xc skiing forum and all this starts over...

TBLS
01-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Plenty of options out there...just like bikes good better best

Boot fit is critical, I stay with mid level skis and as prior poster says, learn to wax. Demo if you can, get flex right

Link below is a shop in Michigan that has some nice packages

http://www.cross-country-ski.com

merckx
01-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Two questions for your Nordic ski experts:

I am interested in trying a pair of Fischer Superlight Crowns but I have a pair of Salomon classic boots that I cannot stray from. Is it possible/practical to screw a Salomon binding onto the top of a NIS plate? I know that it can be done, but will the extra NIS plate in addition to the Salomon binding change the flex characteristics of the ski? I know that this is not a race ski, but.....

Can you direct me to a good Nordic ski forum?

2wheelwill
01-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks for info....reading up on waxing for sure. Can someone clarify two things for me:

Flex? Is it like bikes....stiff for performance and softer for comfort?

Boots? Can I use same boots as my classic skis?

Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ww sunn
01-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Here's the basic word on choosing used nordic skis, it's almost all based on weight and some on experience.

Skate skis: If the person you are buying the skis from is +/- minus your weight by 20 lbs and the skis were fast for them, they'll be fast for you.

Classic skis: Much more important to have a genuine ski shop fit you for skis based on your weight and experience.

For skating keep the glide waxing simple but do it fairly often and brush a lot after waxing for faster skis.

Lots of people use combi boots which work well for both skate and classic.

Mark McM
01-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks for info....reading up on waxing for sure. Can someone clarify two things for me:

Flex? Is it like bikes....stiff for performance and softer for comfort?

Boots? Can I use same boots as my classic skis?

Ski flex doesn't provide 'comfort' per se (i.e., skis aren't shock absorbers). Instead, the purpose of ski flex is to distribute the load over the entire length of the ski. A ski that is too soft or too stiff won't glide well, and won't track well.

The two main variables that factor in choosing ski flex are the size (weight) and power of the skier, and the type of snow conditions. For obvious reasons, a larger, more powerful skier will need a stiffer flex (in addition, the larger skier may also need a longer ski in order to distribute their weight over a larger area). But the snow conditions play a factor too - typically, softer (powdery) snow will be better with a softer flex, so that the pressure will be distributed more evenly (a stiffer flex will cause pressure concentrations, which will slow the ski, or cause it to plow rather than follow surface contours). On the other hand, harder snow surfaces work better with stiffer flexes, which allow the ski to track better.

Skating generates higher lateral and torsional forces between the leg and the ski than classical skiing, so skating boots will incorporate a higher, stiffer cuff, plus a stiffer sole, than classic boots, to better transfer the skiers energy to the ski. While it is not impossible to skate in classic boots, it is generally much easier in skating boot (especially on hard packed surfaces).

For those who want to use a single pair of boots, there are combi boots available, which generally combine a high, stiff cuff (for lateral control) with a flexible sole (for a better classical kick). But these boots will always be a compromise, excelling in neither discipline.