PDA

View Full Version : Tushar Crusher - have you done it?

bcroslin
01-06-2016, 04:07 PM
A few friends of mine are doing the Tushar Crusher in Utah in July and they've invited me along. Registration opens tonight and apparently sells out quickly. It sounds like fun but the climbing sounds potentially soul crushing for a FL boy. For those of you who have done the race, is it worth the travel time and money? Is the climbing as crazy as I've been told it is?

TIA

batman1425
01-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Check out Fatcyclist's blog. He's done it several times and has a lot of good write ups about his experience.

jmal
01-06-2016, 06:31 PM
I haven't done it, but the blog write-ups always sound great/painful. I'll be moving west in a little over a year and may give it a go once I'm a little closer. It seems to attract some strong riders from various backgrounds.

p nut
01-06-2016, 09:09 PM
So an opportunity to hang and ride with several of your friends out of town in one of the most beautiful places in the US? Hmmmmmm

The race has intrigued me and although I won't be racing this year, I'll be riding the course some time during the summer. Everyone I know who's done it, loved it. Also, this is a good read:

http://grizzlyadam.net/2012/04/2012-crusher-guide.html

bcroslin
01-06-2016, 09:49 PM
So an opportunity to hang and ride with several of your friends out of town in one of the most beautiful places in the US? Hmmmmmm

The race has intrigued me and although I won't be racing this year, I'll be riding the course some time during the summer. Everyone I know who's done it, loved it. Also, this is a good read:

http://grizzlyadam.net/2012/04/2012-crusher-guide.html

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to check out Drunk cyclists take on it as well. Looks fun and I think I'm in.

Wayne77
01-06-2016, 10:12 PM
I just signed up. uh oh..what I have I done..

I have some friends that do it each year. A guy I race with on the Zanconato road team won his category last year (30-34 men, Derek Edwards). He's a monster. I'm not. I think this race is going to hurt!

200 spots left..filling up quick

bcroslin
01-06-2016, 10:22 PM
I just signed up. uh oh..what I have I done..

I have some friends that do it each year. A guy I race with on the Zanconato road team won his category last year (30-34 men, Derek Edwards). He's a monster. I'm not. I think this race is going to hurt!

200 spots left..filling up quick

I just signed up as well.

So here's the big question: do I ride my CX bike or my MTB? This might be the race that pushes me over the edge on buying a Slate.

YesNdeed
01-06-2016, 10:31 PM
Got my reg! I did a 93 mile tarmac, gravel, dirt, snow, ice, mud ride on Sunday with a few good friends here in New Mexico, that did the Crusher last year. They were spellbound, talked me into it, and I couldn't say no. I'll be talking more closely with them in the coming months, but what I know so far, is if not for the dirt, gravel (and possible mud) the reoccuring gradients require gearing not often equipped on road bikes :no: Clearance for 30mm tires minimum is suggested.

bcroslin
01-07-2016, 07:49 AM
My plan is to do it on some sort of CX bike but everything I'm reading says to choose your gearing carefully. I guess a medium cage RD with a 12-32 might be in order? Maybe something larger?

jmal
01-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Having ridden similar mountainous dirt/gravel roads, I think a cassette with a 32 is wise, in combination with a compact crank of course. Depending on your fitness I suspect this will still be tough on some pitches. Good luck. Sounds like a great ride. I hope to do it in 2017.

jmal
01-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Got my reg! I did a 93 mile tarmac, gravel, dirt, snow, ice, mud ride on Sunday with a few good friends here in New Mexico, that did the Crusher last year. They were spellbound, talked me into it, and I couldn't say no. I'll be talking more closely with them in the coming months, but what I know so far, is if not for the dirt, gravel (and possible mud) the reoccuring gradients require gearing not often equipped on road bikes :no: Clearance for 30mm tires minimum is suggested.

I read a blog post from a female ABQ rider that mentions riding a good stretch of the race with the Grizzly Adam fellow mentioned above. I don't recall her name, but I had the impression she was a very strong rider. Incidentally, I'm moving to ABQ in 2017. Looking forward to exploring the riding in the area, broth road and mtb.

YesNdeed
01-07-2016, 09:57 AM
I read a blog post from a female ABQ rider that mentions riding a good stretch of the race with the Grizzly Adam fellow mentioned above. I don't recall her name, but I had the impression she was a very strong rider. Incidentally, I'm moving to ABQ in 2017. Looking forward to exploring the riding in the area, broth road and mtb.

That would be Mindy Caruso, and she was along for the ride Sunday, and chief arm twister in my registration process. We have been teammates in the past. She's tough as nails (4 time National Champ...uh, yea. You could say she's strong), and a good friend. I so much as mention road bikes for this ride (not that I would consider using one), because in a state where dirt roads begin as close as 1 mile from the state rotundo, one can expect an extensive network of State, BLM and Native Country dirt roads that also involve pavement, and we ride them a lot. Shoving the biggest slick tires possible through tight clearances is commonplace, but for this ride, mud clearance and gearing should be important. I'll be using my cross bike, and looking for at least a 29t cassette to throw on there, as I'm not sure if my Red derailleur will reach anything with a higher count. I'll look into that.

Good to know a Paceliner will be joining us out here. PM me when you want to ride!

eippo1
01-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Whelp, just convinced a friend in SLC to sign up with me. So it looks like I'll be flying out to do some climbing in July! :hello:

p nut
01-07-2016, 03:20 PM
For you low-landers, you should train with this breathing apparatus to help cope with riding at altitude:

http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2014/05/25__08_25_58/drink%20straw2_render.jpg328cfa94-d401-4e51-accf-c00cf8085760Large.jpg

Wayne77
01-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I just signed up as well.

So here's the big question: do I ride my CX bike or my MTB? This might be the race that pushes me over the edge on buying a Slate.

"Welcome to the Crusher! The only race in the world that let's you choose your weapon with only one guarantee at some point you'll be very, very wrong!" ;)

For me anyway, it'll be a cross bike. I'll probably swap out my 35mm tires for 40mm. It has disc brakes, and for gearing I'm thinking a 34 front ring and at least a 30 rear, maybe even a 32. The aforementioned Derek E mentioned to me last year when he won his category that he had a 36 front/30 rear cog and he still felt he needed another gear.

Wayne77
01-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Good to know a Paceliner will be joining us out here. PM me when you want to ride!

Sounds like we'll have a few of us out there. There should be 1 or two other Zanconato teammates joining as well.

gianni
01-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Awesome ride, even better promoter and organization. The location is world class. The scenery is unbelievable.

I rode it a couple of years ago and if you are coming from sea level --look out. I think you climb up to 10,000ft. I recommend a bailout gear for sure (36x32). The descent is fast and can be rutty or washer board.

Everyone should do this ride.

:beer:

John H.
01-07-2016, 10:22 PM
I suggest a 34/50 compact up front and a SRAM 11-36 in back (that is the only 11 speed 11-36 that I know of).
You want low gears to be there if you need them.
The climbs are long, and the summits are at high elevation.

DrSpoke
01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
I suggest a 34/50 compact up front and a SRAM 11-36 in back (that is the only 11 speed 11-36 that I know of).
The climbs are long, and the summits are at high elevation..

+1 on this. This combo has worked on a friend's Diverge w/an Ultegra GS RD & Ultegra 46/36 front w/only a B-Screw adjustment. If you need more clearance there is the Wolftooth RoadLink. I'll be trying it tomorrow on my X-trail in preparation for these:

Dirty Devil: http://www.ccsd.com/dirty-devil/

Belgian Waffle Ride: https://vimeo.com/148125421

bcroslin
01-08-2016, 10:54 AM
The climbs are long, and the summits are at high elevation.

I think what I'll do is bring a 50/34 6800 crank set as well as 46/30 rings just in case. I'll also likely swap out the RD for a medium cage and run an Ultegra 11-32 cassette. I'll be doing some pre-riding around Park City before the Crusher and I'll just sort things out then. I'm guessing that if the roads are as washboarded as I've read you probably don't want to kill it on the downhills so a 52 or 50 big ring is of little use.

gregblow
01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
I signed up too. Looking forward to the challenge. I will be coming from south florida.

bcroslin
01-08-2016, 03:13 PM
I signed up too. Looking forward to the challenge. I will be coming from south florida.

There will be a few of us floridians there. We can be the redneck grupetto heckling all the climbers as they fly by

FL_MarkD
01-08-2016, 03:22 PM
bcroslin, maybe you can get FL DOT to close down the Skyway to traffic so you can do some bridge repeats for training. :D

Sounds like a beautiful ride, but not for this flatlander.

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 04:09 PM
A few friends of mine are doing the Tushar Crusher in Utah in July and they've invited me along. Registration opens tonight and apparently sells out quickly. It sounds like fun but the climbing sounds potentially soul crushing for a FL boy. For those of you who have done the race, is it worth the travel time and money? Is the climbing as crazy as I've been told it is?

TIA

I can't speak for this race/tour, but you're a lot closer to do the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. The ride starts from Spartanburg, SC to the top of NC's highest peak, Mt. Mitchell. It is billed as one of America's 10 toughest rides. I know of a Florida rider, who did it in 6 hours or so. I asked him if he trained on overpasses. He replied that he rode 9 mph into a head wind all the time. I have heard that Florida winds will pin you to a pine tree.

One thing to remember about the AOMM is that you start at about 500 feet altitude and gradually gain altitude until you get to the end of the ride on Mt. Mitchell, near 6000 feet. If you do the Utah ride, you are going to start at high altitude to begin with and gain even higher altitude. If you are not acclimated to that high altitude, and how would you be, coming from sea level, you are going to have a tough time. Better take an extra oxygen tank.

DrSpoke
01-08-2016, 06:09 PM
I think what I'll do is bring a 50/34 6800 crank set as well as 46/30 rings just in case. I'll also likely swap out the RD for a medium cage and run an Ultegra 11-32 cassette. I'll be doing some pre-riding around Park City before the Crusher and I'll just sort things out then. I'm guessing that if the roads are as washboarded as I've read you probably don't want to kill it on the downhills so a 52 or 50 big ring is of little use.

I don't think a 30 ring will fit on a 6800 crank. I believe a 34 is as small as you can go. So if you need lower gears you will like need a smaller ring at the crank or a larger cog on the cassette. Hence, the recommendation for an 11-36 in back.

eippo1
01-11-2016, 01:23 PM

According to Zinn, 11-32 works just fine with a 6800 short cage RD. I plan on putting on a an 11-32 and running it with my 46-36. I also plan on standing quite a bit on the steeper stuff :p

sandyrs
01-11-2016, 01:28 PM
According to Zinn, 11-32 works just fine with a 6800 short cage RD. I plan on putting on a an 11-32 and running it with my 46-36. I also plan on standing quite a bit on the steeper stuff :p

It's totally possible that it works great with 46-36/11-32 but works less well with a 50-34 due to the much larger jump between small and large ring, and the corresponding greater difference between the big-big and small-small gears.

John H.
01-11-2016, 01:34 PM
If you are going to limit it to an 11-32 you might still consider using a 34 tooth inner ring.
Standing is cool for a short bit with good traction. Doesn't work as well for long stretches or looser dirt/gravel. Don't forget that the race is basically two 5,000 foot climbs at elevation.
Long enough and high enough where you will not be exerting maximum power/speed for a lot of the climb (though it may feel like max power/speed).

John H.
01-11-2016, 01:39 PM
I plan to ride with an 11-36 SRAM 1170 cassette and a 34/50 compact crank.
I run this setup 24/7 on my cross/gravel bike with a medium cage rear derailleur.
I do a lot of climbs in the 1500-2500 foot range. I am light and I climb pretty well. Never wished that I had less gears.

eippo1
01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
If you are going to limit it to an 11-32 you might still consider using a 34 tooth inner ring.
Standing is cool for a short bit with good traction. Doesn't work as well for long stretches or looser dirt/gravel. Don't forget that the race is basically two 5,000 foot climbs at elevation.
Long enough and high enough where you will not be exerting maximum power/speed for a lot of the climb (though it may feel like max power/speed).

You make some good points and since I probably won't get much (or any) altitude training, I'll take the extra gear.

bcroslin
01-11-2016, 05:19 PM
bcroslin, maybe you can get FL DOT to close down the Skyway to traffic so you can do some bridge repeats for training. :D

Sounds like a beautiful ride, but not for this flatlander.

I have a few friends that have ridden the Skyway fixed! FHP frowns upon that but apparently it's legal to ride because it's the shortest distance between St Pete and Bradenton.

Also, as a few others have mentioned, 46/30 works on 6800. I have a set on my CX bike.

eippo1
06-02-2016, 11:14 AM
FYI, singed up for it but can't do it this year. Anyone want my entry?

Wayne77
06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
FYI, singed up for it but can't do it this year. Anyone want my entry?

PM sent. I have a friend who would vey likely be interested

Andy sti
06-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Great to see all the interest in this event. I raced last year and it was great. Looking forward to this one.

I used my carbon cross bike with a 34/46 and an 11-32 in the back. Worked well for me but the second climb really grinds ons. I cramped at one point and needed to get off my bike to stretch for a moment. The hour+ long climbs in your lowest gear get to ya. Ended up 2nd in my age and 12th overall. Planning the same bike and setup this year.

Was a fun day and I'm hoping to do well this year again.

This is a great pic that shows all the different bikes.
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/andysti1/C2S_5715_zpscqnwazef.jpg

Zoned out on the second long climb.
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/andysti1/BP1_3221_zpspvu2ncwz.jpg

bcroslin
06-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Anyone have any tire recommendations?

Also, I was warned to run an 11-36 with 46/30 for the last climb.

Andy sti
06-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Anyone have any tire recommendations?

Also, I was warned to run an 11-36 with 46/30 for the last climb.

I used and am planning on using again the Challenge Gravel Grinder Race. They were great last year. I used Latex tubes and around 50ish psi.

The final climb up to the ski hill is crazy steep, especially after all the other climbing. Plus it's at 10,500 ft. Good part is it's paved but you're grovelling up it the whole way. It's short though.

YesNdeed
07-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Ouch. Great ride in the Tushars today. Can't upload pics from Friday's short ride. Crashed and tumbled in the gravel, no major injuries, just a lot of gauze and antibacterial ointment. 5 hours and 10 minutes put me on the podium for my age group. Anyone else here? How'd it go?

bcroslin
07-09-2016, 06:22 PM
Awesome. I unfortunately/ fortunately booked a big job for tomorrow so I had to sell my entry. I had a Moots Route lined up to ride as well. Killed me to cancel my plans but the mortgage must be paid.

YesNdeed
07-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Awesome. I unfortunately/ fortunately booked a big job for tomorrow so I had to sell my entry. I had a Moots Route lined up to ride as well. Killed need to cancel my plans but the mortgage must be paid.

Some things are more important! Hopefully you recovered all or most of the entry fee. If you haven't done it before, it's beautiful mountain country and has been a nice place to hide out in the Aspens for a few days. We rented a condo near the ski area, which made for an easy return from the finish. For future reference, don't do what I did and wind up using a 34 chainring and 11/28 cassette (miscommunication...snafu :mad:). At LEAST a 30t cassette is recommended. I used Specialized Trigger tubeless 700x33 tires, no complaints.

Andy sti
07-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Ouch. Great ride in the Tushars today. Can't upload pics from Friday's short ride. Crashed and tumbled in the gravel, no major injuries, just a lot of gauze and antibacterial ointment. 5 hours and 10 minutes put me on the podium for my age group. Anyone else here? How'd it go?

Nice job! I won the 45+ group. Beautiful day!

YesNdeed
07-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Nice job! I won the 45+ group. Beautiful day!

Woohoo! Nice result. My friend/teammate was up front in that group until a giant sidewall tear put him out. He asks what bike bike were you on?

Andy sti
07-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Woohoo! Nice result. My friend/teammate was up front in that group until a giant sidewall tear put him out. He asks what bike bike were you on?

Sorry for the late response, we have been on vacation camping since the race. I was ridding a Chinese carbon cross bike with canti brakes. Worked perfectly.

YesNdeed
07-25-2016, 03:24 PM
:)