PDA

View Full Version : so many rapha jackets

bicycletricycle
01-06-2016, 08:19 AM
I did search the forum here but not a lot of info available, thought it might be nice to collect some info about all the rapha jacket offerings and peoples long term experiences with them, especially because they are all on sale and it is winter.

rapha classic softshell vs. hardshell vs. pro team softshell vs. pro team jacket vs pro team race cape.

Just curious to here the temp ranges and conditions people use these in and for anyone who has multiple items maybe some observations about the differences.

I think I am mostly interested in the classic softshell, I like the bum flap, I also think it might be the roomiest of these options which would be nice for some layering.

any and all comments encouraged and appreciated.

thanks

livingminimal
01-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Second your request...specifically for me, the Pro Team jacket....the one I'm eying presently.

Thanks to anyone/everyone for their contributions...

sandyrs
01-06-2016, 08:26 AM
I have a PT Jacket- in orange, from a couple years ago. It's really a great jacket. I use it up to ~45 degrees F and down to ~20, with what I wear underneath changing- at 45 degrees, it's a summer weight jersey or base layer only. At 20, it's probably a thermal base layer or a long sleeve non thermal base layer with a jersey over it.

The jacket is not water or windproof but it's resistant to both. The material is nicely stretchy. The arms are long which I need since I'm a tall dude.

One thing worth noting is that I would never wear the jacket without a neck gaiter. The neck is kind of loose and lets a bit of wind in. This in contrast to my Castelli Alpha, whose neck is form-fitting and completely seals out the elements when fully zipped. Honestly at the temps I use this jacket I still use a gaiter with any jacket so that I can use it to cover my face/ears, but I wanted to make a note of that.

veloduffer
01-06-2016, 08:32 AM
I had the Classic softshell and didn't find it any better than other brand's soft shell. I think you can get an equally good shell from the other major brands like Castelli and Gore. I have the Gore Phantom 2.0 now, which has the zip off sleeves and becomes a short sleeve jacket. I use this with a base layer for 40 degree riding and can zip off the sleeves if it gets to high 40-50s.

For fall/winter, I really prefer riding without the bulk of layering and found the best solution is the Castelli Espresso Due and Capo Padrone jackets (unfortuanately I think the Capo only comes in black now) with just a Craft base layer. These jackets are like jerseys but they have lots of wind blocking material in the front, which eliminates the need for bulk. The Castelli are a slight bit warmer than the Capo, plus they have some neat venting design in the back of the shoulder and wrist area. I have been able to ride in the low 30s with this combination, even at a leisurely pace. Riding more vigorously, I sometimes get warm enough that I unzip the jacket halfway.

I should note that both are on the form fitting side. I wear XL for all Castelli and Large for Capo, and I'm 5'11 and 170-175 lbs (average proportions in torso and arms).

old fat man
01-06-2016, 08:53 AM
I have a blue PT jacket from a year or two ago. I agree with everything Sandy said, although I don't rely on a neck warmer/gaiter very often - being a bearded fellow helps I guess.

If temps are below 30 degrees, I tend to grab an older Castelli jacket that is windproof, very thin, and yet requires almost no layering until temps get below 20 degrees. I use the PT in the 32 - 42 range I would guess.

sandyrs
01-06-2016, 08:55 AM
I have a blue PT jacket from a year or two ago. I agree with everything Sandy said, although I don't rely on a neck warmer/gaiter very often - being a bearded fellow helps I guess.

If only I could grow one...

AJosiahK
01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
soft shell first in my book

I don't own one, but my wife does, and many folks I know do. Its their best jacket.

I own a PT jacket and find it not warm enough on the colder races / rides, even when paired with LS under Jersey and base layer.

Soft Shell +1

ltwtsculler91
01-06-2016, 09:03 AM

I don't own one, but my wife does, and many folks I know do. Its their best jacket.

I own a PT jacket and find it not warm enough on the colder races / rides, even when paired with LS under Jersey and base layer.

Soft Shell +1

Then what is the difference between the "classic softshell," the PT Jacket, and the PT Softshell?

The Classic stuff doesn't fit quite right for me, but PT medium seems to fit well, so the PT Softshell intrigues me if it functions similarly to the classic that everyone raves about

sandyrs
01-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Soft Shell +1

At least around here, yeah, I wouldn't be happy having the PT as my warmest jacket. I have a Castelli Alpha which is warmer with less underneath but doesn't breathe quite as well (although I love being able to unzip the wind blocking layer while keeping the thermal layer intact), and a Castelli Free that I could probably wear down to zero degrees, it's insanely warm (like, impractical for most situations warm).

AJosiahK
01-06-2016, 09:08 AM
classic is built up a bit more and looser fitting. A bit thicker for colder weather and layering.

PT stuff is in general more form fitting, race cut. Less layer ready.

PT softshell is just the newest version, with more water / wind resistance. A major upgrade from the previous and first few generations of the PT jacket.

ptourkin
01-06-2016, 09:11 AM
To confuse things a little more, there is a PT Softshell that hasn't been released to the public floating around. Also the new Shadow line, made from the Gore/Castelli Gabba material.

Chris
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
I have a softshell jacket. It's super nice. I pile on the layers though, so I don't even think about using it until it gets below 30. It's roomy enough, but not billowy. I am 6'2" 170 and I think mine is a large. I use it so rarely, I have thought about selling it. It's red btw.

ltwtsculler91
01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
So basically the current PT Softshell is more of a "Super Gabba" for slightly colder weather rather than a winter shell you can use in all conditions like the Classic Softshell?

chiasticon
01-06-2016, 09:24 AM
I have the softshell, hardshell and PT jacket. my best understanding and viewpoint is this:

softshell and hardshell are their all-around offerings. more "club rider" focused or for those just doing long steady distance rides in the winter. the softshell is far more flexible (and overall the most flexible of all their jackets) and is water/wind resistant. the hardshell is less flexible but is water/wind proof.

PT jacket and softshell are more geared towards harder efforts. the jacket is water resistant, not proof. it's got a harder wind panel on the front and is lighter on the back to evaporate heat. again, it's designed for harder efforts. the PT softshell is their gabba. it's basically like the PT jacket but will keep you warm in wetter and windier conditions while you're working hard.

I personally prefer the PT jacket for 35-45 degrees, even if I'm not doing hard efforts. but I run kinda hot. once near freezing, I'll wear soft or hard shell, choosing depending on how windy or wet it may be. usually rides at that temp are just steady slogs anyway, without a lot of hard efforts.

ptourkin
01-06-2016, 09:29 AM
I have the softshell, hardshell and PT jacket. my best understanding and viewpoint is this:

softshell and hardshell are their all-around offerings. more "club rider" focused or for those just doing long steady distance rides in the winter. the softshell is far more flexible (and overall the most flexible of all their jackets) and is water/wind resistant. the hardshell is less flexible but is water/wind proof.

PT jacket and softshell are more geared towards harder efforts. the jacket is water resistant, not proof. it's got a harder wind panel on the front and is lighter on the back to evaporate heat. again, it's designed for harder efforts. the PT softshell is their gabba. it's basically like the PT jacket but will keep you warm in wetter and windier conditions while you're working hard.

I personally prefer the PT jacket for 35-45 degrees, even if I'm not doing hard efforts. but I run kinda hot. once near freezing, I'll wear soft or hard shell, choosing depending on how windy or wet it may be. usually rides at that temp are just steady slogs anyway, without a lot of hard efforts.

This (http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/rapha-pro-team-shadow) is their Gabba. The exclusive license that Castelli had for the material is expired. It is the same stuff.

chiasticon
01-06-2016, 09:35 AM
This (http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/rapha-pro-team-shadow) is their Gabba. The exclusive license that Castelli had for the material is expired. It is the same stuff.interesting. yeah what I meant was that the PT softshell is designed for similar riding, conditions and temperature ranges as the gabba. at least, from my understanding.

if the shadow jersey is $320, I can't wait to see how much the jacket is!

ptourkin
01-06-2016, 09:38 AM
interesting. yeah what I meant was that the PT softshell is designed for similar riding, conditions and temperature ranges as the gabba. at least, from my understanding.

if the shadow jersey is $320, I can't wait to see how much the jacket is!

The bibs are only $385...

hmai18
01-06-2016, 10:31 AM
FWIW, the Pro Team jacket is probably my favourite piece of kit. Have worn it down to 32 with a long-sleeve merino layer underneath. As long as you're moving at an endurance or tempo pace, it regulates temperature incredibly well.

I tend to run cold, so I'll always have a neck gator on in this temp range.

weightshift
01-06-2016, 11:34 AM
I own the classic softshell, a rain jacket, and have had the Pro Team softshell and used the Pro Team jacket for a bit.

Since there's a Rapha store here in SF, and I'm friendly with people that work there, as well as having friends and fellow riders who own Rapha, we've discussed at length the various differences in the jackets.

The way I see it is like this:

Hardshell/Softshell: if you live anywhere near freezing temps, these jackets come into play. When I lived in Chicago for over a decade, the softshell (I've owned it for 8 years now, still fantastic) was my favorite jacket in the world, especially for tempo-team runs in the winter. At freezing and below, a merino base layer plus synthetic thermal LS jersey or a Sportwool jersey would be enough. You start cold, as usual, but if your pace is tempo, you'll warm up enough plenty.

The softshell gives you some room for layering but is still a great flattering cut, short, and on the bike is super comfortable, even with layers or not. I wear it here at night over a shirt or t-shirt if I'm just commuting somewhere. Looks good off the bike too.

The hardshell is very similar, but is thin comparatively. It is a hard laminated jacket lighter, but as others have noted, wind/water proof. It has a very similar effect as the softshell in terms of layering and actually, because of the -proofing, I found it warmed me up faster, though didn't breathe like the softshell. This jacket is great for when you're out in rain and snow and need to be completely dry underneath.

The Pro Team softshell and regular jacket are two different beasts. The regular Pro Team is fitted, but somewhere in between the softshell and the more recent hardcore-race-influnced stuff they've been putting out. It's fleece on the back, but windshell on the front (with the fleece on the inside), and if you're doing a mostly-dry tempo run, this is a great jacket. It's probably similar in warmth to the softshell, but the way I think of it is a hybrid of a thermal/Roubaix-style LS jersey that has wind fabric (a la Gore Windstopper) on the front of the sleeves and body. Literally, a 50/50 jacket. I used to think it was more of a heavy jersey that way until these new offerings...

Which brings me to the Pro Team Softshell. There's an even never version out, which has a gridded/waffled material it's akin to the Patagonia R1 line, keeps warmth, but does a good job moving the air around. I have not ridden in it though, just seen it in person. I have ridden in the first and previous generation (the one that was recently on sale). It is their Gabba for sure. It fits like their PT jerseys.

Here's how I look at it along the PT line (using a boxing weight class analogy):

Pro Team Jacket: heavyweight
Pro Team Softshell: middleweight
LS Pro Team jersey: welterweight
Pro Team jersey: lightweight
Climber/aero jerseys: featherweight/flyweight

The PT Softshell is thicker than their LS Pro Team, and is totally Gabba. Not quite a jacket, fits like a jersey, use for high tempo. It was pretty good on some lighter bad weather, but not full-on protection like the softshell or hardshell will give you. Addtionally, unlike the softshell and the regular Pro Team jacket, the PT Softshell and hardshell have that clammy synthetic feel to them I didn稚 feel cozy in them, nor when we stopped during a ride, did they retain heat they are shells after all. You will get cold if you're not moving.

Quick take on the rain jacket while I'm writing this out anyway: great jacket. In the Bay Area, it's a great rain shell I prefer the layering approach since we don't get freezing temps here, so I just generally do merino baselayer, sportwool jersey and the rain jacket given it's impermeability. Unzip on climbs, zip up on descents. 40-60 degrees. It's lightweight, so you could get away with it below 40, but layering, etc is tougher. It's fitted (though I did go down a size in this jacket to get the length and fit I wanted).

kmac
01-06-2016, 12:02 PM
not to throw a wrinkle in things, but i have a decent amount of rapha gear. i have NONE of the jackets though. for me, the winner is the "rapha winter jersey"

for this morning's ride, i wore:
- a rapha winter baselayer (with the rollneck)
- a rapha winter jersey (it's a bit like a cross between a jacket and a jersey)
- a rapha packable wind jacket

it's a pretty versatile combo -- because i've found the jersey with a lighter baselayer and no top jacket can be comfortable when the temps are way up in the high 40s.

today -- i was out for about 90 minutes with the temp hovering around 10 degrees. "comfortable" isn't quite the right word (fingers/toes never seem ok), but the core was pretty toasty all things considered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAMofh7Sir-/?taken-by=kevinstuffandthings

again, it's not quite a jacket, but given its versatility it perhaps deserves some consideration. and btw, it's on sale now for $150.

hopefully i'm not derailing the conversation too much...

weightshift
01-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Oh yeah, the Rapha winter jersey is probably the most heavyweight layer they make actually. Burly!

buckfifty
01-06-2016, 12:22 PM
this might be what you're looking for (http://pages.rapha.cc/products/rapha-jacket-guide)

bicycletricycle
01-06-2016, 01:12 PM
ya, i saw that but it is pretty generic, thought i could get some better info from actual users.

uber
01-06-2016, 06:19 PM
I have the Classic Soft-shell, but agree the winner is the Winter Jersey. With a long sleeve base layer, it is good for 30-40 degree plus wind. I can wear it up to 50 degrees with a short base layer and below 30 with a soft shell gillet over it. I use the soft shell more if I suspect rain, or need to layer with a long sleeve jersey instead of the soft shell. I will put the soft shell over the winter jersey for riding in the 20's.

Matt-H
01-06-2016, 06:32 PM
I have the Classic Soft-shell, but agree the winner is the Winter Jersey. With a long sleeve base layer, it is good for 30-40 degree plus wind. I can wear it up to 50 degrees with a short base layer and below 30 with a soft shell gillet over it. I use the soft shell more if I suspect rain, or need to layer with a long sleeve jersey instead of the soft shell. I will put the soft shell over the winter jersey for riding in the 20's.

Agreed. Today was 26 F, windy but sunny. LS base, Winter Jersey, and softshell gilet. Perfectly comfortable. I still want to try the PT Jacket, tho.

jmeloy
01-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Got the hardshell and wear it in KC when it gets down near 20. As mentioned it is not heavy but really warms you up nice and quick! Love it.

livingminimal
01-06-2016, 07:05 PM
Ok.

After reading all of this, I pose this scenario to you:

I am average in terms of running hot or cold. With hard efforts, I probably run a little warmer than average, but not much. I like to feel insulated as well.

This morning I rode and it was 45F and breezy. I did a Cedar jersey, a Voler Base SS base layer, arm warmers, long gloves, 3/4 thermal bibs and a winter cap. I was definitely overheating (or staying toasty) and I didn't even wear a vest. I could have opted for a regular cap I think, and I did the second half of the ride gloveless.

I live in Southern California, and I typically ride around 5:30am. The coldest days I ride are going to be 32-39F to start, ending closer to 50F, dark, and probably mostly dry, though El Nino seems to be throwing a wrench into that, for this year at least.

Is Pro Team, at BRIGHT green and $168.00 on sale, the ticket?

Premton
01-06-2016, 07:19 PM
I purchased the Assos sturmPrinz, best decision I made. Yesterday I rode for 2h, 5°C rain with just a baselayer/jersey and the Assos sturmPrinz. Just perfect, breathable and dry.

My next jacket is going to be Q36.5 to take it to the next level.

Avincent52
01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
not to throw a wrinkle in things, but i have a decent amount of rapha gear. i have NONE of the jackets though. for me, the winner is the "rapha winter jersey"

for this morning's ride, i wore:
- a rapha winter baselayer (with the rollneck)
- a rapha winter jersey (it's a bit like a cross between a jacket and a jersey)
- a rapha packable wind jacket

it's a pretty versatile combo -- because i've found the jersey with a lighter baselayer and no top jacket can be comfortable when the temps are way up in the high 40s.

today -- i was out for about 90 minutes with the temp hovering around 10 degrees. "comfortable" isn't quite the right word (fingers/toes never seem ok), but the core was pretty toasty all things considered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAMofh7Sir-/?taken-by=kevinstuffandthings

again, it's not quite a jacket, but given its versatility it perhaps deserves some consideration. and btw, it's on sale now for $150.

hopefully i'm not derailing the conversation too much...

Beat me to it.
I love the winter jersey too. Great piece with wool/windstopper fabric in the front, zippered vents , a nice cut that's just a little long in the sleeves and over the butt.
Feels very much like a jacket.
I bought two at the NYC moving sale for $60 each, amazing deal.
I haven't had a chance to ride in it yet, but I can see it's just a fabulous piece. (And about 5 times the thickness and presumably warmth of my wool long sleeve jerseys from Cedar and Eleven.)

I have to say that I the Pro Team Winter Training Jersey is really sharp looking if you like that Sky Blue (and I do.)

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en/shop/team-sky-training-winter-jersey/product/KWJ01

GoatLeg
01-07-2016, 12:25 AM
I have the hooded rain jacket and the classic wind jacket, and both fit me better than their jerseys do. I have a pretty short torso and long arms, so it's odd to me that it works out that way.

As far as performance goes, i love the wind jacket. Never really need more than arm warmers and a wind-specific base layer, provided you're not riding in sub-50 degree weather. It's water resistant, but certainly not water proof. The hooded rain jacket has served me well so far, but nice only ridden in the rain with it twice. First time it was pretty rainy, and the outer layer got soaked, but very little water made it through the outer shell. The second ride was light on/off rain, and it did its job to a t.

chiasticon
01-07-2016, 06:47 AM
glad someone brought up the winter jersey. it is a really great piece that's similar to the pro team jersey (to me) but more flexible, because of the pit zips. however, I had two and sold 'em both last winter. my issues were that I didn't like the dual pocket layout, the pockets were tight/high/hard to get into, and the fit in the torso was really weird. mine were from ~2011 though, so they may have changed that since now. at the current sale price, I'd give it another shot, BUT I think that glowing rapha logo on the back is hideous. it's like a letterman's jacket or something...

also glad someone brought up the softshell gilet. damn that thing is so good. no idea why they've never brought it back (esp in a high viz color). that with the pro team jacket gets me down to the freezing point comfortably.

kitsnob
01-07-2016, 10:16 AM
I purchased the Assos sturmPrinz, best decision I made. Yesterday I rode for 2h, 5ï½°C rain with just a baselayer/jersey and the Assos sturmPrinz. Just perfect, breathable and dry.

My next jacket is going to be Q36.5 to take it to the next level.

+1 on the Q 36.5 .. I'm a HUGE fan
But living in Southern Cali, the 'heaviest" outer layer I have from Q36.5 is the Camo Vest (Gillet) and that is plenty wam with proper layers for our 40+ mornings.

ptourkin
01-07-2016, 11:20 AM
+1 on the Q 36.5 .. I'm a HUGE fan
But living in Southern Cali, the 'heaviest" outer layer I have from Q36.5 is the Camo Vest (Gillet) and that is plenty wam with proper layers for our 40+ mornings.

My SO got me the Q36.5 Termico for the holidays. We had seen the orange version at Above Category and she got them to mail one, even though they only show the black online. It is the nicest piece of kit I have and I have a ton of Assos. The sizing is Euro to the extreme -- we originally had a small and it is the first small I have been unable to wear -- max chest size is 36. The medium is very nice. I spend a lot of time in the So Cal and Nevada mountains, so it will actually get used when the current deluge ends.

NTMAD8R22
01-07-2016, 06:08 PM
I have their PT Wind Jacket and Race Cap. I love rapha quality. It's pricey, but so is assos and most high end lines of manufacturers kits. I feel like their quality and attention to detail is top notch and I like that they are constantly tweaking the offerings year after year to make them better. I would highly recommend their jackets. I would buy more if it weren't so expensive.

pdmtong
01-07-2016, 06:40 PM
The only thing stopping me from Q36.5 is price.

As long as Rapha has sales you can wait and get most if not all the pieces you'd want at capo or pearl prices.

merckx
01-07-2016, 07:10 PM
I have a soft shell that I purchased 7 years ago. Best winter cycling jacket to date. I live in New England, and it receives a lot of abuse from mud, salt spray, sweat and multiple washings. Love the damn thing.

kitsnob
01-07-2016, 11:50 PM
The only thing stopping me from Q36.5 is price.

As long as Rapha has sales you can wait and get most if not all the pieces you'd want at capo or pearl prices.

Go to http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/index.php
Their prices are MUCH lower (even with the shipping to the US) than any other "local" mail order
Their $$ on Q36.5 is on par and very competitive with Assos.
IMHO, Rapha is overplayed at this point.. Their pricing is not consistent with their recent quality (ie: too costly for quality of the 'value' )

pdmtong
01-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Their prices are MUCH lower (even with the shipping to the US) than any other "local" mail order
IMHO, Rapha is overplayed at this point.. Their pricing is not consistent with their recent quality (ie: too costly for quality of the 'value' )

Thanks for this link. I will check it out.

Rapha just has too many products now, and the fashion/colors betray their basic ability to deliver some really functional pieces that 1) work well, 2) last a long time, and 3) look great. The pro team kit is really good. The PT jersey is as nice as my assos ss.13.

I'm going to look to Q36.5 for packable pieces since around here the ability to layer and carry a bunch of windshells and wamrers is key.

merckx
01-08-2016, 06:26 AM
The intrusion of the Sky product convoluted the offerings. I miss the handsome Country and Classic jerseys of past. I still own a few of the Country jerseys from 2007 and they are just about ready for the bin. I haven't seen anything in Rapha's offerings that lures me back in. However, I just purchased four Road Holland jerseys for the springtime. The fit seems good to me and they are handsome. I'll put some kilometers on them and report back.

weightshift
01-08-2016, 02:04 PM

Have you ordered from there? I've been interested in ordering some Q36.5 from there but I'm not sure how good their service/shipping is.

ptourkin
01-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Looks like about $50 off of Above Category on the top Q36.5 jacket before shipping, which it says is free at that cost. If it works, it's a good deal, as long as you aren't charged customs. I've had good luck not being charged on orders from Bellati.

As I said above, I found the Q36.5 sizing outrageously Euro and AC was quick to substitute for me. Read the charts carefully.

weightshift
01-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Looks like about $50 off of Above Category on the top Q36.5 jacket before shipping, which it says is free at that cost. If it works, it's a good deal, as long as you aren't charged customs. I've had good luck not being charged on orders from Bellati.

As I said above, I found the Q36.5 sizing outrageously Euro and AC was quick to substitute for me. Read the charts carefully.

Looks like the L1 vest is only ~10 more at AC, and since AC is across the bridge and I like what they're doing, I should just pop over there. I've seen it at the shop before, and supporting a local is always good.

I had seen that online pricing be something like ~150 before some time ago which was putting it into kinda worthwhile territory for me, but a 10 dollar difference is not worth it.

BSBD
01-09-2016, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty confused about jackets, Rapha and otherwise, like Castelli.

I run pretty warm all the time and live in FL. I bought one of the Rapha Classic Softshells during the black Friday sale but sent it back with out taking it for a spin, I could tell quickly I would probably over heat and that the fit was weird on me; I wear their classic jersey in large and bought the same size. I'm looking for something to help with drizzle and rain. Did a group ride Thursday in drizzle around fifty degrees in a jersey and warmers and wished I was drier and a touch warmer.

Thoughts?

sandyrs
01-09-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty confused about jackets, Rapha and otherwise, like Castelli.

I run pretty warm all the time and live in FL. I bought one of the Rapha Classic Softshells during the black Friday sale but sent it back with out taking it for a spin, I could tell quickly I would probably over heat and that the fit was weird on me; I wear their classic jersey in large and bought the same size. I'm looking for something to help with drizzle and rain. Did a group ride Thursday in drizzle around fifty degrees in a jersey and warmers and wished I was drier and a touch warmer.

Thoughts?

My thought is these are winter jackets and have essentially no use in Florida.

Sounds like what you're looking for is more of an insulated jersey like a Castelli Gabba or its many rough equivalents.

pdmtong
01-09-2016, 04:11 PM
My thought is these are winter jackets and have essentially no use in Florida.

Sounds like what you're looking for is more of an insulated jersey like a Castelli Gabba or its many rough equivalents.

If the challenge is surviving an in ride shower but otherwise you are fine temp wise then I would go with a packable rain shell.

The gabba or pro team softshell would be a good choice if you want to be warmer all the time

The weather here varies depending on where you are relative to the hills. Close to them is colder on top of them is colder. So I need a layering system that I can change in ride more than a single piece which I cross my fingers works for the ride duration

Rapha jacket size my favors traditional cycling physique. I wear a large in their jerseys but need XL in their jackets for shoulders.

BSBD If the rain jacket I'm selling on the classifieds is of interest pm me.

kitsnob
01-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Have you ordered from there? I've been interested in ordering some Q36.5 from there but I'm not sure how good their service/shipping is.

Excellent ...
They are a little slow in getting the package out (usually 2-3 days) AFTER ordering but they ship Italian Post which then comes via USPS and they give you a tracking #. Usually 7 TO 10 days later, package arrives.
Customs/Duty free.
Certain items they are less than AC, other items they are very close. Yes, supporting local is GREAT ...

ptourkin
01-10-2016, 09:44 AM
Looks like the L1 vest is only ~10 more at AC, and since AC is across the bridge and I like what they're doing, I should just pop over there. I've seen it at the shop before, and supporting a local is always good.

I had seen that online pricing be something like ~150 before some time ago which was putting it into kinda worthwhile territory for me, but a 10 dollar difference is not worth it.

Yes. I'd buy it from AC. Good people and they've provided great service to me in the mail. The $10 extra for going there in person is worth it for the chance to look at the Baum,Peg and Mosaic bling. If you take the savings from Europe and something is wrong with the order, winter could be over before it's all worked out.

kitsnob
01-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Yes. I'd buy it from AC. Good people and they've provided great service to me in the mail. The $10 extra for going there in person is worth it for the chance to look at the Baum,Peg and Mosaic bling. If you take the savings from Europe and something is wrong with the order, winter could be over before it's all worked out.

Excellent point!!
Yes if you accidentally order the wrong size, returning it could be a significant "investment" - more than enough to wipe out the original savings.
This happened to me 2X and instead of trying to return it to Europe, I took the lazy man route and turned to "The Bay".
And +1 on AC selection, service and knowledge.. Chad and his crew are top notch!

Heisenberg
01-15-2016, 12:51 AM
Excellent point!!
Yes if you accidentally order the wrong size, returning it could be a significant "investment" - more than enough to wipe out the original savings.
This happened to me 2X and instead of trying to return it to Europe, I took the lazy man route and turned to "The Bay".
And +1 on AC selection, service and knowledge.. Chad and his crew are top notch!

Two things to note.

iPaul
01-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Coming in late here, but if you had to choose between the Soft Shell vs Hard Shell which would provide the better warmth in 20 degree clear sky's type weather?

mgm777
01-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Coming in late here, but if you had to choose between the Soft Shell vs Hard Shell which would provide the better warmth in 20 degree clear sky's type weather?

My vote is for the Classic Soft Shell, in your conditions. The hard shell will initially be warmer, but won't breathe as well. The soft shell sounds perfect for your conditions. It's been 20 deg in the mornings here in CO, and a fleece under layer and soft shell jacket has been perfect for my morning trail runs. I am not drenched with sweat when I finish. The soft shell breathes perfectly.

Note: The soft shell I use for running is not a Rapha product.

tv_vt
01-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Wow, who was complaining about too many Rapha jackets? Guess Rapha heard you.

Checked their site today, after the Sale ended, and half the jackets are gone. Hardshell jacket - gone. Classic softshell - gone (well, nope, hiding in the Archive sale). Wind Jacket - gone. Classic jersey isn't showing up, either, from what I'm seeing.

Kinda wishing I bought a Hardshell jacket now. Oh well.

pdmtong
01-26-2016, 03:26 PM

Checked their site today, after the Sale ended, and half the jackets are gone. Hardshell jacket - gone. Classic softshell - gone (well, nope, hiding in the Archive sale). Wind Jacket - gone. Classic jersey isn't showing up, either, from what I'm seeing.

when stock is gone they remove from the site. so items missing may be gone forever or only until next season.

livingminimal
01-26-2016, 03:31 PM
It just looks like they're reloading. they only have a single gilet listed and almost no jerseys.

Interesting, I got the Dark Grey XXL Pro Team Soft Shell jacket muled to me from the SF Archive sale...only $140...jacket is still on the site, in each size and the same color, for $295

weightshift
01-26-2016, 03:38 PM
Interesting, I got the Dark Grey XXL Pro Team Soft Shell jacket muled to me from the SF Archive sale...only $140...jacket is still on the site, in each size and the same color, for $295

Archive sale and recent sale was V1. The current one listed is the new generation one, different fabric it has a grid waffle lining, similar in approach to the Patagonia R-line fleeces.

livingminimal
01-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Archive sale and recent sale was V1. The current one listed is the new generation one, different fabric it has a grid waffle lining, similar in approach to the Patagonia R-line fleeces.

Ahhh very good, thank you for the clarification! Hopefully my piece will still perform admirably. ;)

weightshift
01-26-2016, 03:41 PM

From what I hear, all new stock and colorways are coming up...

weightshift
01-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Ahhh very good, thank you for the clarification! Hopefully my piece will still perform admirably. ;)

It's a pretty solid piece (I had the v1 for a bit) but I found the synthetic feel a bit too clammy feeling with just a sleeveless baselayer underneath. Definitely not cozy in that sense unlike the Pro Team Jacket. It's definitely a high-tempo piece.

At least for here in SF and the Bay Area, stopping meant cooling down quickly and that jacket didn't retain much warmth. I found it a bit limited in range in that regard, as I prefer to layer and stash away and add back as needed throughout a ride.

livingminimal
01-26-2016, 03:53 PM
It's a pretty solid piece (I had the v1 for a bit) but I found the synthetic feel a bit too clammy feeling with just a sleeveless baselayer underneath. Definitely not cozy in that sense unlike the Pro Team Jacket. It's definitely a high-tempo piece.

At least for here in SF and the Bay Area, stopping meant cooling down quickly and that jacket didn't retain much warmth. I found it a bit limited in range in that regard, as I prefer to layer and stash away and add back as needed throughout a ride.

that's good to hear. Honestly I got it because here in Southern California, the 15-20 sub-40F mornings we might get in a given winter where I need to wear such a piece for a two hour 5am ride, I am going to be really, really glad I had it. For that, it made sense to shell out $140.