PDA

View Full Version : front end crash

twin
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
If a bike were in a front end crash of some sort where most likely would the damage be located?

IMNOHO-YO
05-31-2006, 09:52 PM
ok this is either a trick question or you are just plain dumb

did ya hit yer head in that crash, boy?

ho

JohnS
05-31-2006, 09:53 PM
If a bike were in a front end crash of some sort where most likely would the damage be located?
The rider. The bike can be repaired. Sometimes the rider can't...

obtuse
05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
head on? the fork and the obtuse junction of the head tube and the downtube.

why?

obtuse

twin
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Maybe the person that does not understand that will read this.

swoop
05-31-2006, 10:20 PM
depends on frame materials. check your fork.. flashlight and bare hands for anything that feels or looks funny. sometimes the clear coat looks foggy in a dime sized area. hop on the bike in a parking lot and ride it with your hands off... does it go straight?

look at the whole frame. feel the frame too.

if you still don't know.. take it to a shop and have them take a look. there is no standard answer... one sort of has to check out the frame.

Louis
05-31-2006, 10:59 PM
Based on unfortunate personal experience: (T-boned a truck that pulled out in front of me as I bombed down a hill. Luckily I was able to slow down quite a bit. It was mostly his fault, but I was probably over the speed limit.)

1) Fork
2) Top tube just aft of head tube (look for wrinkles on the lower side of the tube and crinkles in the paint)
2) Down tube just aft of head tube (same at for TT, but not as pronounced)

In my case I bent the steel fork back into position and rode it for about a year, until I got too scared and replaced it with a CF fork. I then rode the frame for a few more years until it went all squirrelly on me during a ride. The down tube had cracked about 50% around just above the DT shifter bosses. That frame now hangs in my basement.

Louis

Fixed
05-31-2006, 11:01 PM
the front bro
cheers

TimB
06-01-2006, 11:42 AM
See the pics from a front-end crash
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=17806&page=2&pp=15

Serotta_James
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Our rule of thumb for front end collisions:
Remove fork. Deposit fork directly into the garbage.

atmo
06-01-2006, 01:13 PM
i was in a head-on 3 weeks ago.
forks bent back shy of 2cm.
bye-bye forks atmo.

BUTCH RIDES
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Hello,
I was in a front end crash one time and oh did it hurt .Stupid me I was looking at GiGi and look up to see a low tree limb and it smack me right on my nose . I had to go around with a red mark on nose for a week!! I was so embarsed ,at least GiGi was fine . I guess I am a good driver . Thank you
adios