PDA

View Full Version : WHY did campagnolo offered these Centerpull brakes FS

cnighbor1
01-05-2016, 11:52 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-TT-TRI-Central-Pull-Rear-Brake-/301840327850?hash=item464715e4aa:g:p8EAAOSwX~dWivz s

what is the reason why Campagnolo offered these Center pull brakes FS
Looks nicely designed. Price is great for a Campagnolo brake other FS on eBay
What function in TT do they serve
Charles

Dude
01-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Some TT/Tri bikes are designed for center pull brakes. If you have a campy bike, and didn't want to use an aftermarket brake, they sold these.

The only function they served was so that you didn't have to put another manufacturers brake on your campy tt/tri bike.

carpediemracing
01-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Those brakes were for TT bikes and aero road bikes. They work with a side pull set up as well as the center pull, and in fact I bought them for my road bike (for crits) as a "searching for every watt" thing.

(I then realized it was a bit ridiculous and didn't mount the brakes, but I still think about them as it's free aero if it's aero at all).

The front brakes are designed to mount behind a normal fork, not in front of it. They have spacers and such to allow the bolt to sit on the front of the fork, with a filler spacer in the back so the brake has a spot to sit in (because the rear brake mounting hole is wide). On my bike there was minimal clearance and I was worried about the small set screw used to anchor the brake cable, and after test fitting it I decided against mounting it.

For the rear there'd be no aero advantage on my normal bike. If you had a BB mounted bike it might help with fit or convenience, and if you had a weird shrouded rear brake it might help (I think there was such a frame from Jamis?). For me, again, on a regular race bike, I didn't see any advantage to using the rear brake (side pull configuration) except for the ease of centering the brake (I use the single pivot / normal rear brake and it requires more than just a nudge to center). The tiny set screw anchoring bolt turned me off using it for the rear.

john segal
01-05-2016, 02:00 PM
I believe they're just rebadged Tektro's, but don't hold that against them. It's a perfectly adequate brake. I ran a rear on my road bike for about a year.

thirdgenbird
01-05-2016, 04:13 PM
I believe they're just rebadged Tektro's, but don't hold that against them. It's a perfectly adequate brake. I ran a rear on my road bike for about a year.

I believe it's a tektro caliper with upgraded pads, holders and hardware.

The canti brakes were also made by tektro. The straddle cable kit is the same as a TRP carbon canti. I think they were better than the 720 or TRP offering.