PDA

View Full Version : 2016 goals - what are yours?

AngryScientist
01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
cycling related and otherwise?

AngryScientist
01-03-2016, 04:09 PM
to start with, i've got 10 lbs of winter beer weight to drop before the "Hell of Hunterdon" - that's my most urgent goal.

(i'm drinking a beer as i type this...)

Cicli
01-03-2016, 04:10 PM
I start a new job Feb 1. Goal met. Ride more, more time with family.

AngryScientist
01-03-2016, 04:14 PM
I start a new job Feb 1. Goal met. Ride more, more time with family.

congratulations!

PSC
01-03-2016, 04:38 PM
I am with you, need to lose about 10 lbs of beer weight, but I'll wait until spring to do that. Like usual I am shooting for 5000 miles, last year I was able to get 6k.

JAGI410
01-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Lose enough weight to get back to my 2015 low, then continue losing from there.

More bikepacking/S24O outings

More MTB weekends away

More distance rides, I didn't do anything over ~25 miles in 2015! I normally do a couple centuries a year!

regularguy412
01-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Interestingly, I was just texting about goals and results to a couple of my buddies. Last year was my lowest mileage year since 2006. I missed getting 4,000 miles by a measly 15 miles. Anyway, shooting for 5,000 this year and hopefully closer to 6,000, weather permitting.

Losing at least 15 lbs would be a plus, also.

To this end, I now have new Bontrager XXX shoes and a new set of Mercury carbon clinchers for my new-to-me-last-year Serotta Fondo TI. Gonna see if I can wear out some chains n' cogs this year. ;)

Mike in AR:beer:

OldCrank
01-03-2016, 05:38 PM
I've signed up for one of those once-a-week bike studio courses where you plop your own frame on a trainer.

First time for me. Can't hurt.

NYCfixie
01-03-2016, 05:40 PM
To stop going into Wahlburgers every time I need to walk by it.

Seramount
01-03-2016, 05:47 PM
goals:

pick my retirement date.

ride 7500 miles.

echelon_john
01-03-2016, 06:01 PM
lose 75 pounds. there, i said it.

JAllen
01-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Like many of you, lose a fair amount of weight. I've been overweight for most of my twenties and I'd like to change that trend and finish the decade on a high note (or low note).

Ride more recreational miles.

Get through my first year of school.

Play bass more often.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

fairwent
01-03-2016, 06:43 PM
1. Hopefully another year with 5000 miles.
2. Faster average speed (similar ride length in less time) -> more time with family.
3. More rides with my children.
4. More books read.

There are more but these seem good.

sandyrs
01-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Get back to 10hrs/week (approximately) of riding, do a weekend bikepacking trip, try xc MTB racing, race a lot of cross.

Like tihsepa I was looking for a new job and have found one I'm really excited about so I'm checking that one off early.

gone
01-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Mileage goal is the usual: average 200 miles/week or 10,400 miles for the year. I overshot this year and came in just above 12K.

As far as events go:

Super Randonneur series (200K, 300K, 400K, 600K), perhaps a couple.
Cascade 1200K
High Country 1200K
Rocky Mountain 1200K
Minnesota 1000K
Great Southern (Australia) 1200K

plus various and assorted 100K and 200K permanents through the year.

Edited to add: and a fairly large amount of JRA.

jwess1234
01-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Cycling related goals:

1. Raise $4,000 for the AIDS/LifeCycle Charity and complete the ride from SF to LA (http://www.aidslifecycle.org/).
2. Ride 6,000 for the first time.
3. Complete the Death Ride (http://deathride.com/).

csm
01-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Ride more
Read more
Get out more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

paredown
01-03-2016, 09:46 PM
I have been going back and forth--do you draw a line in the sand, make the resolution and then break it, or do just avoid committing????:help:

Some things--
-finish the Habitat house that we started this past year. (Maybe get the next into the pipeline?)
-ride more--this past year was the worst year since I started riding again about 10 years ago, and I want to do better
-lose some weight--ought to be taken care of by riding more
-get the last major pieces of our own home renovation taken care of
-see if my partner and I can land some decent contracts for the year...

That should do me....

kramnnim
01-03-2016, 09:56 PM
I kind of want to try this Everesting thing.

ajhapps
01-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Great topic.

1. Join a club and start riding the type of miles I'd ridden when I lived in NYC (make new friends, do less solo miles, get into better shape)

2. Raise money for, and participate in, the 2016 Climate Ride in support of GivePower, an organization that brings solar panels, batteries, and lights to schools in developing countries

http://support.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=3907 (Shameless plug)

3. Share the love of cycling with someone new... would love to pay it all forward in 2016 and share what I've learned on the bike, go on fun rides, drink beers, eat pastries

CampyorBust
01-04-2016, 01:44 AM
1. Loose my gut, 10-15 lbs would be nice.
2. I am drowning in ideas. Lots of projects on my plate and even more rolling around in my head, having the steadiness, organization and discipline to bring them all to fruition in the next couple of months would be fantastic. Continuing in this form throughout the year would be even more bettah.
3. Restore peace and sanity to the world
4. Ride some fair bikes fairly quickly fairly far. Add another bicycle to my cycle harem. A year without injury would be nice.

Bruce K
01-04-2016, 04:26 AM
Ride more (last year was pitiful)
Lose 15#
Find balance between work, home, and hobbies.

BK

Pelican
01-04-2016, 04:51 AM
I'm also on the "Ride More" bandwagon, but that should be pretty easy considering how little I rode last year.

Also decided to sell half my bikes. The hard part is deciding which ones to keep.

Ti Designs
01-04-2016, 05:06 AM
In 2016 I'm gonna fight for truth, justice and against the american way...

Screw being nice of PC, I'm gonna be brutally honest (probably get banned from the internet), I'm just sick of everything being BS. It it can be tested, my goal is to put it to the test.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2016, 06:18 AM
EB
EL
DL
RL

Eat Better, Eat Less, Drink Less, Ride Lots

Watch my grand daughters grow up...safely.

saab2000
01-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Live happily with the bike stuff I have and maybe spend a year NOT buying stuff.

AngryScientist
01-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Live happily with the bike stuff I have and maybe spend a year NOT buying stuff.

i'm in that boat too. i know in my head there is nothing i need to buy that will make me ride farther or enjoy cycling more; i just need to stay convinced of that.

chiasticon
01-04-2016, 07:01 AM
last year my mileage wasn't huge (6k-ish, which is down from 10k-ish since I started racing cross) but I did about 200 miles a week during spring and summer, completed both the rapha rising and festive 500 challenges (for the fourth and fifth years in a row, respectively), did 13 cross races, stood on five podiums, got a category upgrade and am halfway to my next category upgrade.

so if it goes around that well, I'll be happy.

racing-wise, my goals are to work on technical skills by doing more singletrack (and maybe even purchase a MTB for this), get better at starts and remounts by practicing them more, and to be less of a wuss with descents by growing a pair.

MattTuck
01-04-2016, 07:25 AM
I guess my goals are:

Hit 175 pounds, and stay there.
Ride 4000 outside miles.
Refine my position and saddle selection so I am comfortable on the bike.
Do a race.
Ride more 60+ mile rides.

AJosiahK
01-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Last year was a bust per work taking way too much of my time. We are all young no matter what age, so Ived decided to do what I want, or my wife wants ;)

So far we have reg'd for Rasputitsa, Transylvania Epic, and the Vermont Overland.

Lots of training goals to make it through the TSE so that would be my biggest.

Im also set on racing CX this fall and accumulating enough points to upgrade, have not raced CX in over 2 years so well see where that puts me

Good luck everyone!

MattTuck
01-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Last year was a bust per work taking way too much of my time. We are all young no matter what age, so Ived decided to do what I want, or my wife wants ;)

So far we have reg'd for Rasputitsa, Transylvania Epic, and the Vermont Overland.

Lots of training goals to make it through the TSE so that would be my biggest.

Im also set on racing CX this fall and accumulating enough points to upgrade, have not raced CX in over 2 years so well see where that puts me

Good luck everyone!

I was thinking of doing the Dirty 40 race (put on by the same folks that do Rasputitsa), but their site is now exclusively Rasputitsa. Do you know the story behind that?

As much as I like riding, I just can't get that excited about carrying my bike through a snowy/icy stream bed... thus, can't really buy into the rasputitsa thing.

AJosiahK
01-04-2016, 08:04 AM
I was thinking of doing the Dirty 40 race (put on by the same folks that do Rasputitsa), but their site is now exclusively Rasputitsa. Do you know the story behind that?

Yes, unfortunately this past Dirty40 was the last edition. Im not sure exactly why and Im sure there are several reasons but they decided to hold off on it for this year. Focusing on a spring classic seems to be their main reason, as there are already several excellent races/rides that time of year in NE (D2R2, VOGP)

ajk

guido
01-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Complete the New England Randonneurs SR series (200k, 300k, 400k, 600k)
D2R2 100k

Ride more dirt roads

Bob Ross
01-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Last year's goals -- Ride More, Crash Less -- worked out pretty well, so I'm thinking I oughtta just stick with those. But if I'm going to add anything to 2016's list, it'll probably be Play More Music.

thegunner
01-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Not buy bike stuff.

Unless another small 585 appears, then all bets are off.

PFSLABD
01-04-2016, 08:21 AM
I seldom establish any goals or New Year resolutions. In the winter, I strive to ride at least 100 miles per week, 3 to 4 times a week. Lately, I have been doing at least 150 and sometimes 220 miles per week. I'm even thinking about riding with the local randonneur group and training for the first 200K (124 miles). I won't be doing the 300K, though. I despise night riding of any kind.

Years ago, I routinely cranked out 125 mile rides, and even did a 150 miler, but was mumbling incoherently when I got back. I bonked at the last 25 miles and only rode 9 mph. I made it with the resolution of never trying that one again. It was 95 degrees on a June day. I was a lot younger then, too. I guess you could say I have a goal to ride a 200K. I will soon be 70 in a few short weeks so I guess that would be a good goal to achieve.

PFSLABD
01-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Last year's goals -- Ride More, Crash Less -- worked out pretty well, so I'm thinking I oughtta just stick with those. But if I'm going to add anything to 2016's list, it'll probably be Play More Music.

I have a friend who is a long distance tour rider. He carries his radio with him and plays country music for all within hearing distance. He seems to get dropped a lot though by the young rockers.

PFSLABD
01-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Complete the New England Randonneurs SR series (200k, 300k, 400k, 600k)
D2R2 100k

Ride more dirt roads

You have my admiration. I am thinking about a 200k, but anything more, I don't see them as doable, especially riding at night. I tried the night riding stuff, but as soon as a car would come toward me, they would hit me with their bright lights, forcing me to get off the bike or crash.

saab2000
01-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Not buy bike stuff.

Unless another small 585 appears, then all bets are off.

Agreed....... If a 585 Ultra XL shows up on my doorstep I'm not going to turn it away.

livingminimal
01-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Personal:
Less screen time
More rad stuff with my kids
Keep career progression moving
Get to Maine

Cycling:
Less crashing (three in 2015)
More miles
More smiles
Better cross season

fuzzalow
01-04-2016, 08:47 AM
I will soon be 70 in a few short weeks so I guess that would be a good goal to achieve.

I envy you. I don't wish to be presumptuous or premature, but congratulations on this and many healthy, happy and productive miles to come.

As far as my own goals, I'd like to ride more miles than last year but as always, I'll take what I can get. I liked the riding I had on the North Shore of Nassau County and in comparison the Manhattan/9W rides are terrible. So implicit there is the 2016 goal, to man up and get on with the program for what amounts to the only ride I've got.

mg2ride
01-04-2016, 09:17 AM
... I'm gonna be brutally honest .....

Start by being honest with yourself.

guido
01-04-2016, 09:35 AM
I'll be 58 for all but the first one. One thing I have learned is nearly infinite stubbornness which helps on a mountain road a long way from home... Being real careful with eating and drinking enough is a huge thing too... Being sloppy with that on a century is survivable. On the long rides much less so.

I don't find the lights of oncoming cars worse on a bike than I do when driving. Just training your self to avoid looking directly at the lights helps a lot...

You have my admiration. I am thinking about a 200k, but anything more, I don't see them as doable, especially riding at night. I tried the night riding stuff, but as soon as a car would come toward me, they would hit me with their bright lights, forcing me to get off the bike or crash.

carpediemracing
01-04-2016, 10:21 AM
1. Caring for my dad as of Dec 31. He requires monitoring every minute he's awake. This isn't cycling related but impacts everything in my life, including cycling.

2. Based on that, realistically I should be able to trim the weight I gained this year. I can't lose weight just by riding, I have to diet. I gained 25 lbs (back) since June or so. Want to shed it. I can do this while looking after my dad.

3. See if I can still promote the Spring Series. I can't physically go to the races (due to being at home with dad) so it'll be tough. If I can't I can't.

4. I plan on doing Zwift a lot while my dad sleeps at night, which is fine. However, it'd be great if I could line up at a real life race, even if it's only a Tuesday Night race. They start in May so that's one of my realistic goals, to do one Tuesday Night race. Sundays are realistically out.

5. Keep sight of the golf balls. There's a Facebook/whatever thing I read. Professor puts golf balls into a jar. Is the jar full? Yes say the students. Then he pours in pebbles. Is the jar full now? Yes. Then he pours in sand. Is the jar full now? Yes. Then he pours in two beers. Is the jar full now? Yes!

The analogy is that the golf balls are the important things in life. Family. Shelter. Food. Important stuff.

Pebbles are a bit less important. For me that's cycling I think. Stuff you would do or think about first, above other things.

Sand is the least important stuff. Movies. Fancy clothing. A "better car". Etc.

Of course a student asks about the beers. It's to illustrate that you can always enjoy a beer or two no matter what you have going on.

I want to keep an eye on the golf balls - my family (wife, son, dad). I don't want to end up focusing on the wrong things.

mhespenheide
01-04-2016, 10:47 AM
1. Less screen time and more time doing the important things.
2. For the bike: first up is Eroica California; we'll see about after that.
3. Take 10 good pictures.
4. Spend 50 "bag nights" either camping, backpacking, or bikepacking.
5. Be in good enough running shape by the fall to hang with the HS XC team I help coach.

We'll start there...

Nooch
01-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Very modest cycling goals this year, after the past few years of GARBAGE.

Cycling: 1000 miles. that's it. low, attainable. find some semblance of the fitness I used to have.

Walk around at 200 lbs.

Bench 250, Squat 350, and Deadlift 400.

And because my old man, who get a gastric sleeve and lost 100lbs in the past few months, signed up for a half marathon, I'm going to run that with him.

Bob Ross
01-04-2016, 11:03 AM
I have a friend who is a long distance tour rider. He carries his radio with him and plays country music for all within hearing distance. He seems to get dropped a lot though by the young rockers.

Oh, by "Play More Music" I meant perform on my instrument, not listen.
Though I'd love to have more time to listen to music too. But I'd never do that on a bike ride.

bicycletricycle
01-04-2016, 11:07 AM
that mavic sponsored fixed gear ride through the alps made me want to go on an alpine adventure. i think a bike tour with a stop for some hiking is in order

ghammer
01-04-2016, 12:16 PM
resume racing, albeit at a very small scale. quit racing 2 years ago after a crash, and having young children sure doesn't help. some of my buddies know about this goal, but my wife doesn't. she'll find out in due time.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2016, 01:14 PM
The jar with golf balls, etc and crashing....fill a jar with white jelly beans, add one black one. Everyday take out 1 jelly bean...if ya get the black one, go back to bed...you'll never crash again;)

ofcounsel
01-04-2016, 01:54 PM
My goal this year is to do more lift-assisted mountain bike park stuff. I want to become more confident at steeper/more technical trails. Not necessarily crazy jumping feats either, but certainly catching a little more air would be good.

For Christmas, wife got me a gift certificate for some MTB skills coaching.

zap
01-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Cycling wise....

More faaassssst group rides.

Ride well over several mtn passes on a single ride.

More rides in other parts of the world.....

....purchase a take apart single frameset and build it with fairly light but reliable parts.

livingminimal
01-04-2016, 02:31 PM
1. Caring for my dad as of Dec 31. He requires monitoring every minute he's awake. This isn't cycling related but impacts everything in my life, including cycling.

Best to you and your Dad, man.

laupsi
01-04-2016, 02:37 PM
save, save, save, so I can retire, retire, retire, to our place in Spain, Spain, Spain!

NTMAD8R22
01-07-2016, 06:22 PM
I've lost the ten pounds I was trying for. Now I want to maintain this weight and build some muscle. Big goal is doing a cycling trip overseas this year.

DRZRM
01-07-2016, 08:12 PM
My goal is 200 lbs. I'm 6'3" and have been over 200 since...1996. I'm half way there from a early 2015 high of 243.

I'm also going to learn to play guitar.

rounder
01-07-2016, 08:22 PM
Go on rides with friends.

Hope for favorable weather.

Buy replacement bike stuff. Do not need more bikes.

jimcav
01-07-2016, 08:25 PM
recover from achilles surgery
start running again
find job that allows time for mtb
get my boys out mtb'ing
qualify for NYC marathon
make friends to run/mtb with--we always move every 2-3 years so i don't really make the time to make friends

acorn_user
01-07-2016, 10:09 PM
Cycling goals:

- Finally crack a sub 22 minute time for the local ~8 mile TT. I've been close, but never beat it.
- Ride 5000 miles :)
- Get dropped on lap 2 of the Jefferson Cup instead of lap 1.
- Do some fun cross races.
- Get around to selling off some bike stuff.

I share the screen time concern. With that, I'm going to go read a book :)

93legendti
01-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Ride every day

cdn_bacon
01-08-2016, 08:56 AM
To beat the 4903km's I rode last year. final number doesn't matter.:hello:

benb
01-08-2016, 09:00 AM
- I penciled in 4000 miles for this year. I probably did around 2000-2500 this year, but I was hurt a lot and took a lot of time off.. Should be easy, as I did 1500 in 3 months at the end of the year.

- Put in a solid 3 months of weight training.. this has already been delayed as our gym was closed for December for renovation. It's been open all of a week and they've already closed it again.. going to have to dust off my weights in my basement but that's sub-optimal.

- Get a new bike that truly fits well. This is partly done.. I've got most of the components and a deposit on a custom frame.

- Get rid of my left wrist issues for good.. it's been really bad since mid 2014 when I bruised and almost fractured the hamate bone in my left hand.. it is very close to better but it's been brutal to recover from.

- Commute more

- Do more group rides even if they are just social

- Mountain bike more

- Stretch goal, average 20mph or more for 1 hour with ~1000ft of climbing solo. Off and on I have been able to do this over the years when things are going well. Should be attainable if I stay injury free.

stuckinthecity
01-08-2016, 09:21 AM
4000 miles
Wrench more and learn how to do it better
Finally figure out my optimal gearing, as opposed to "good enough" gearing

commonguy001
01-08-2016, 10:06 AM
For 2016
5000+ miles (did 7500+ in 2015)
10+ >100 mile rides (I got 9 done in 2015)
3-5 bike camping trips (only did 1in 2015)

That's about it for bike goals.
Don't have any gravel races planned for 2016, going to see if I can keep my miles up without needing to.
End of last summer I did my first bicycle camping trip and can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. I'd really like to get more into that aspect of the sport.

I may also remove the power meters from the bikes that have them. May even leave the HR strap at home. It could be liberating but it may drive me nuts so I'm hanging onto them for now. I'm old and don't race so it seems silly to worry about specific training zones and all that.

Looking forward to a great year :banana:

tv_vt
01-08-2016, 10:16 AM
I've ridden 95,935 miles since 1989. So a good goal for 2016 would be to ride 4065 miles or more - putting me over 100,000 miles :beer:

Since I've been riding from the early '70's, I know I'm way over that total already, but I've only been logging mileage since '89, so I'm going from there. Have done over 4K miles every year for the last 8, so it's looking good.

Would love to get back to France (or Italy) for more bucket list col riding. We'll see.

giverdada
01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
i woke up with a really bad attitude that persisted throughout new year's day, and colored all of my resolutions with a significant bitterness. then i went for a run, with my 10-year-old, in the dark (aren't all the afternoons dark these days?), and everything was better. between her huge smiling eyes and the lights on the bridge that made her giggle and the obvious understanding that i am the luckiest guy in the whole world just to be in that moment, i regained a better sense of purpose, and rewrote every damn resolution. they are now goals. and they look a lot like all of yours.

i'm going to:
run a sub-3hr. marathon for once. :crap:
get back to wrenching my own stuff and showing up to teach english with black grease stains under my nails.
do more work more efficiently and on-time.
learn to xc ski.
buy and ride a mountain bike, with my girls.
beyond that, buy very little else for me.
invest in time with people rather than stuff to get away from people.
make a hot fire from a spark and a knife.
send a package to my mom.
do more strength training, every day.
ride to work way way more. (20 miles on the fixie the other day!)
build something with my hands.
camp.
reduce drinking alcohol to weekends only.
eat less sugar.
do more push-ups.
be present.
write it all down.
*abandon any of these goals rather than pursue them at the cost of my girls' quality of life.

give'r.

cdn_bacon
01-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I've ridden 95,935 miles since 1989. So a good goal for 2016 would be to ride 4065 miles or more - putting me over 100,000 miles :beer:

Since I've been riding from the early '70's, I know I'm way over that total already, but I've only been logging mileage since '89, so I'm going from there. Have done over 4K miles every year for the last 8, so it's looking good.

Would love to get back to France (or Italy) for more bucket list col riding. We'll see.

That's an amazing achievement. I hope to brag about the same one day.

buddybikes
01-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Be able to get on my bike by March 14 and actually ride 5 miles.

Lumbar fusion Dec 14, 2015 so only goal is to put on some muscle mass after the severe atrophy, amazing the muscle loss and currently all I can do is walk, and not long.

earlfoss
01-08-2016, 11:22 AM
I worked my a$$ off to get my Cat 1 upgrade last year. This season I want to race hard and back that upgrade up with results befitting the category.

BobC
01-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Haven't raced in a billion years.
Master Nats is in Winston Salem the next 2 years -- the RR start finish is 5 miles from my mother's-in-law house. Would seem stupid not to at least train & race for that.

Force
01-08-2016, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=livingminimal;1888838]Personal:
Less screen time
More rad stuff with my kids
Keep career progression moving
Get to Maine

I like these. Are you trying to get to Maine to live permanently? I love Maine. It is ideal in the summer.

Force
01-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Less screen time for me and kids
Balance
Join RUSA and dip my toe in some rando events
Visit France

PFSLABD
01-08-2016, 12:31 PM
I'll be 58 for all but the first one. One thing I have learned is nearly infinite stubbornness which helps on a mountain road a long way from home... Being real careful with eating and drinking enough is a huge thing too... Being sloppy with that on a century is survivable. On the long rides much less so.

I don't find the lights of oncoming cars worse on a bike than I do when driving. Just training your self to avoid looking directly at the lights helps a lot...

Eating is my weakness in that I probably don't eat enough. I carry Cliff bars with me, and exist on them, to the point at the end of the ride, I am exhausted. I need to start carrying peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with me if I'm going to be doing 200k's or more. In the past, if I ate anything heavy, I would get sick or have a problem riding on a full stomach. Hence, it's power bars or Cliff bars for me, only. I only drink water, now.

velotrack
01-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Work harder in school.
Keep closer contact with friends, family.
Eat healthier.

Ride more.
Run more.

phutterman
01-08-2016, 01:33 PM
8,000mi this year. (Goal for last year was 6,000, ended up hitting 7.) Works out to a manageable ~150mi/wk average.

Get to cat 3 on the road, ugh. Last year's road season was kind of a bust.

Survive in the 1/2/3 field on the track. (Got to 3 at the end of last season, first season on the track, but the the 4/5 and occasional 3/4 races definitely aren't as long or fast.)

Better results in track crits. I've been qualifying consistently even at the bigger ones I've done but haven't hung onto the field to finish one yet.

deechee
01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
figure out how to be a first time dad :)

so... cycling is kind of out of the window.

malcolm
01-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Dude, good luck with that. I'm sure you can find plenty of advice, mine is have fun and enjoy them every step of the way is different and while you're in the moment it may not seem like it but it goes by fast.

Also write things down and take pictures. My kids said so many funny things that I just can't remember.

elevenvelo
01-08-2016, 02:06 PM

Good luck! It will be the best thing and the hardest thing you've ever don't but worth every minute. Take it all in too because it's hard to believe how fast it flies by.

As for riding.... well, you can embrace the early mornings. I used to head out after the 4am feed. Also, don't stress... I learnt you can always get fit, any time of the year, the wee ones are only wee once.

Geeheeb
01-08-2016, 02:59 PM
ride around lake michigan
finish school

NTMAD8R22
01-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Lol good luck. My wife and I have a 15 month old boy. The first year cycling completely took a back seat to being a parent. I usually ride in the morning and I like to be there when the little guys wakes up. Also, I usually try to create some free time for the wife when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rimbaud
01-09-2016, 04:28 AM
Build up a classic Merckx with DA 7400-series.

:beer:

jmeloy
01-09-2016, 05:57 PM
So, in theory, I started my last year of work this past Monday. I waffle a good deal about it, mostly uncertain as to whether I've got enough socked away, how I'll handle it mentally, etc. At the same time I'm ready to quit the work travel. I'll do something if I do hang it up and look forward to something civic or perhaps for a non-profit.

Did 2300 miles in 2015 and look to exceed that in 2016 with an eye on riding a lot more in '17.

carpediemracing
01-10-2016, 12:41 AM

Totally awesome. Junior is 3-3/4 right now, March he'll be 4.

I kept cycling (okay, racing, not much training) after Junior was born. I also basically set zero goals 2 years prior expecting Junior to arrive in 9 months (took 2 years). At first I had to keep cycling, because I promote races, but I found myself starting races, seeing the Missus and Junior on the backstretch, and just stopping to be with them. I didn't care about racing and that was fine. I still raced, still did some finishes, but generally speaking just appreciated life.

I got a pretty fast camera when the Missus was pregnant. I wanted something that would take the shot "right now" instead of in 2-3 seconds. Ended up with a basic starter DSLR (Nikon D3300) and it's great.

I'd highly recommend videotaping what you can. I hate it when people video and then look immediately and entertain themselves with what just happened; I try to stay in the moment so I'll video and then watch later. I would plan some shots, like I loved it when Junior came up to me when I picked him up from daycare, so I would video tape him pretty much every day. A lot of days it was a dud so I'd just erase, but some days were just great (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQTW2ThbgI). There was one day where he was really sad and came crying to me. The video/imagery was non-existent as I just held him but the sounds, the memory really makes me ache.

I videotaped him randomly, like when he was rustling around in the crib. Later I realized that he was asking for his yellow blanket, long before we knew his words for it. So the random clips are great too, they teach you stuff in the "hindsight is 20/20" kind of way.

What's nice about the phone videos nowadays is that they're pretty good, HD, good image, etc.

It's quite a trip, a kid. I wish you the very best.

oldpotatoe
01-10-2016, 07:33 AM

Take pictures, sleep when you can, worry all day, every day. Remember it's tough on Mom too.

Best and toughest job there is.

Read this.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Joy-No-Fun-Parenthood/dp/0062072242

Russian bear
01-10-2016, 09:47 AM
I would like to get my Cat 2 upgrade this year
-race as much as possible
-keep training consistent
-go for another hill climb state jersey
-work towards 400w for 20 minutes

A cycling trip (even a weekender) to discover some new places.
-Family summer vacation might be in colorado this year so wrapping the two into one is a possibility.
-Campagnolo Gran Fondo sounded like a cool event and gives me an excuse to go ride in San Diego.
-Silver City, NM is really close by, cheap and good riding apparently.

Non cycling stuff
-get all my transfer/transcript stuff done to go back to school in August to finish my degree

kittytrail
01-10-2016, 04:14 PM
find a way to soothe the pain.
ride again.
don't off myself.
get some muscle back on.
don't get killed.
then ride more.
lots more.

live.

oh yeah, eat more bananas too! :banana:

JDtwowheels
01-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Ride Canadian Section of Great Divide Trail and drink lots of beer!

shovelhd
01-10-2016, 07:07 PM
I was forced to retire from racing due to medical reasons so I have Fred goals now.

Have a successful and angst free Tour of the Hilltowns. I am the race director for 2016.

Upgrade to Category B USAC official. I'm almost there. Goals in this space are to work the NHGP again and hopefully the Mayors Cup in Boston.

Consistently work out 5x/wk on the road, on Zwift, and in the gym. Stay within 10 pounds of my race weight.

Have fun. Stay employed. Enjoy the empty nester life with Mrs. Shovel. Pay off the mortgage (November 2016). Find a way to get back to Bermuda.