PDA

View Full Version : So, BeBop pedals are back?..

Pastashop
01-03-2016, 03:42 PM
http://www.cambriabike.com/Bebop-Stainless-Clipless-Pedals-9-16in.asp

http://www.amazon.com/BEBOP-Bebop-Stainless-Clipless-Pedals/dp/B000Y4E1BG

Is this old news?.. Anyone riding these or the old ones?.. Impressions?

mhespenheide
01-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I ride them and love them. They're the only clipless pedals I use. I have five sets on various road/gravel/cross/mountain bikes, and have three more sets stockpiled against future use.

They're relatively light, free float, and don't jam up with mud or grit like speedplays can. I haven't used them in deep/thick mud, but I think they're great in almost every circumstance. The only drawback I've found is that the locking mechanism is essentially in the cleat rather than the pedal and when they start to fail, there's not much time before they stop clipping in. If the cleat stops locking in completely, you'll want to check that there's not any grit in them. If there isn't, you've got about a month of normal riding before you'll start pulling out in normal pedaling -- so replace the cleat.

I'm glad to see them back, but if I stockpile 3-4 sets of cleats, I can't imagine needing anything else from them for a decade or so.

Cicli
01-03-2016, 04:08 PM
Iam saying those are old stock. Their facebook page hasent been touched in a couple of years.

Pastashop
01-03-2016, 04:48 PM
I ride them and love them. They're the only clipless pedals I use. I have five sets on various road/gravel/cross/mountain bikes, and have three more sets stockpiled against future use.

They're relatively light, free float, and don't jam up with mud or grit like speedplays can. I haven't used them in deep/thick mud, but I think they're great in almost every circumstance. The only drawback I've found is that the locking mechanism is essentially in the cleat rather than the pedal and when they start to fail, there's not much time before they stop clipping in. If the cleat stops locking in completely, you'll want to check that there's not any grit in them. If there isn't, you've got about a month of normal riding before you'll start pulling out in normal pedaling -- so replace the cleat.

I'm glad to see them back, but if I stockpile 3-4 sets of cleats, I can't imagine needing anything else from them for a decade or so.

Thank you! Very nice info. Is there any side to side adjustability with the cleat on the shoe?.. (There is just enough with SPD cleats, usually, plus the fore-aft in the shoe. Not much side to side with Time, excepting the lateral float of cleat in the pedal, I guess...)

mhespenheide
01-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Thank you! Very nice info. Is there any side to side adjustability with the cleat on the shoe?.. (There is just enough with SPD cleats, usually, plus the fore-aft in the shoe. Not much side to side with Time, excepting the lateral float of cleat in the pedal, I guess...)

A little, but not much. Be advised that they use the 2-bolt SPD-style of attachment, too, not the 3-bolt LOOK-style more common on road shoes. I've ended up going with high-end mtb shoes and carving away some of the front traction lugs. 2-bolt road shoes would be the best, as deep tread patterns on mtb shoes can prevent cleat engagement since the pedals have a pretty low stack height.

berserk87
01-03-2016, 06:34 PM
I have ridden them on my MTB for a long time. To me, they have the feel of Speedplay X2 pedals, which I like.

I rode Speedplay Frogs, and the first generation of Eggbeaters and found the Bebops to work best for me. I had problems clipping in to the Frogs, and had hot spots and foot pain with the Eggbeaters.

The Bebops clear mud OK, but I don't ride single track anymore so it's not an issue for me.

I had to use a dremel to rout out the sole of my Sidi's to accommodate the cleat.

I didn't realize that Bebop had gone anywhere, based on the fact that Cabria has had their products on their site for awhile if I recall.

GeekBoy
01-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Love mine. Indestructible cleats, decent prices, no issues with 3+ years of use on 2 bikes.

false_Aest
01-03-2016, 09:17 PM
I loved mine.

LOVED!

But they were not awesome for road.

tumbler
01-04-2016, 11:16 AM
I've been using these for a while as my primary pedal. I've only had to replace one cleat, and that was after 5-6 years of use and had no problem finding the replacement online. I really like them... dual-sided entry, tons of float, walkable, bomproof, and very easy to setup since you essentially just adjust the fore/aft and let the float handle the side-to-side action. I use Sidi MTB shoes with a little cutout made on one side to allow the spindle to clear.

One cool feature is that you can twist your ankle to "unclip" while leaving the pedal still recessed in the cleat. if you need to put a foot down, just lift your foot off the pedal and it's free, but if you change your mind and don't need to stop, you can just twist your ankle back in and you're locked in again without having to remove the shoe and reenter from the top. It's a little thing, but I find it helpful in congested areas like the on-ramp to a bridge, where you're going uphill and don't want to unclip/reclip unnecessary, but might need to put a foot down suddenly when the hoard of tourists decides to stop suddenly to take a picture.

mhespenheide
01-04-2016, 02:10 PM
I loved mine.

LOVED!

But they were not awesome for road.

Really? They're my #1 road pedal. What didn't you like about them on the roads?

donevwil
01-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Does the Bebop cleat have lateral adjustment (like SPDs) or not (like Frogs) ?

Pic from web

kittytrail
01-13-2016, 03:19 AM
been using bebops since late 1994, like King Cages, have a stash of cleats and replacement pedals that should last me well into the next decade or two, might replace CrMo axles with Ward titanium ones though, not for weight gain but for corrosion resistance.

the only clipless pedals i've kept on using since then have been those bebops and various Time ATACs depending on bike use/shoe compatibility(cannot grind/cut soles to accommodate cleats when you have to return the shoes after testing, sadly :D). that, along with Shimano DX(oldies from the 80s and newer ones) and Suntour XC-2 are what goes under my soles.

too bad Speedplay tried to kill them with the mighty force of the happy-$ue-the-competition-into-oblivion hammer instead of competing with superior products or they could have been more common sights on bikes -like they are on recumbents- and thanks to the gents @VP for keeping the product alive.

berserk87
01-13-2016, 08:27 AM
been using bebops since late 1994, like King Cages, have a stash of cleats and replacement pedals that should last me well into the next decade or two, might replace CrMo axles with Ward titanium ones though, not for weight gain but for corrosion resistance.

Isn't stainless an option for the axle replacement? Mine are stainless and I have had no trouble with corrosion. Plus stainless should be much cheaper than Ti.

kittytrail
01-13-2016, 08:41 AM
i do have stainless ones too but there's not much difference in price for stainless axles as spare parts -if they're available- and Ward's ones. the Wards have a good reputation and have been around for a long time so not much risks with using those. ;)
repurposing for cycling some stupid military aircraft material is also a good thing in my book. world needs more bikes. not more fighters/bombers aircrafts. :D

RyanH
01-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Bumping an old thread. Where does one buy these?

berserk87
01-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Bumping an old thread. Where does one buy these?

The only place I could find was Amazon, and here is the least-expensive option:

https://www.amazon.com/Bebop-Clipless-Pedal-Stainless-Silver/dp/B0012WHY9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484887727&sr=8-2&keywords=bebop+pedal

cadence90
01-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Bumping an old thread. Where does one buy these?I have a set if you are interested.