PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use bike flights to ship a bike?

Hilltopperny
01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
I have a guy interested in one of my old bikes. He is out of the country and wants me to ship using bike flights. Have any of you heard of it before or used their services? Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

01-03-2016, 11:20 AM
All they do is give you access to a commercial account discount at Fedex. But the quality of service is first rate. I use them frequently for anything bulky, both cycling and otherwise, domestic and international. Never had a problem with them. I've never heard of a problem with them either. The best thing going and the least expensive too.

Cicli
I have a guy interested in one of my old bikes. He is out of the country and wants me to ship using bike flights. Have any of you heard of it before or used their services? Any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

I ship everything with them. It goes through fedex. Alot of people here use them and it works fine. Just used them yesterday as a matter of fact.

likebikes
Try the search:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=167148

and

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=161940

and

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173673

R3awak3n
01-03-2016, 11:23 AM
yes and its awesome. Never shipped outside the country so no comment on that but domestic its the only way I will ship bikes or wheels from now on

azrider
01-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Try the search:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=167148

and

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=161940

and

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173673

The Search function, so underused.

LMGTFY :p

pdmtong
01-03-2016, 12:52 PM

bikeflights is top notch. used them many times.

one of the beautiful things is you can give the buyer the box dimensions/weight and your address, he can order/pay for the ship label and email it to you.

tumbler
01-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Another vote of confidence in BikeFlights. I shipped two bike cross-country with them and it was easier than almost any other package I've sent. Very nice pricing as well compared to regular retail rates.

Hilltopperny
01-03-2016, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. As always very informative and to the point. Will be using them to ship to dubai.

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Never a bike, but framesets and wheelsets, often. Hated and never shipped that stuff until bikeflights. One of the beauties of the service is you can have the package picked up at your house/office, which I've done every time, even when not home. Never an issue and the best price. They also run coupon codes. Love 'em.

eBAUMANN
01-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. As always very informative and to the point. Will be using them to ship to dubai.

international...thats a little tricky. fedex rates overseas are...not friendly.

a bike box might be too big to ship via USPS also.

dubai, thats a tricky one...

blano
01-04-2016, 05:31 AM
Living in Australia I have obtained a lovely serotta CSI through the forum a couple of years back and despite the cost to ship of something like $350-400aud the process was painless and bike arrived to my door in about a week - would use again without hesitation. Cheers

chiasticon
01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
it's so good that there's no other way I'd ship any bike part, unless it's small enough to fit into a USPS priority flat rate package.

guido
01-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Their website also will give you a cost quote so the shipping overseas question can be answered easily...

Grumbs
01-04-2016, 04:17 PM
I moved across the country a few months ago. Shipped all my bikes to my new home with bikeflights. I can't believe how inexpensive it is compared to what I was paying to shipping complete bikes five years ago.

DonH
01-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Shipped a 29er from CT to Alaska using Bikeflights. It got there on time and without damage.
I'll definitely use them again.

osu cycling
01-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Echoing others, can't say enough (+) praise about bikeflights... great rates for domestic shipping. If international buyer though, USPS may be cheaper for you (drastically so if buyer is at an APO/FPO address).

kobetsang
01-06-2016, 10:57 PM
I've heard great things.

Tickdoc
01-07-2016, 05:54 AM
been rubbing my hands together anxiously all week awaiting my first bike flights shipment to arrive on my doorstep( cue the maniacal laughing ):D

and, looks like I'll be gone when it gets here...hopefully one of my kids will be here to sign;)

NHAero
01-21-2016, 08:40 PM
About to try it - shipping cost $33 through BF, vs a bit over $45 Fed Ex Home.

bobdenver1961
01-21-2016, 10:43 PM
I've used both Bikeflights.com and Shipbikes.com combined about 10 times last year. Never had a problem.

Sometimes shipbikes.com is cheaper than bikeflights.com. Sometimes not. Just depends where it is going.

Bob

fiataccompli
01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
I've used both & they've been comparable. Both are basically slightly discounted Fedex for boxes that are of a certain size and weight.

I shipped one frame via bikeflights overseas and it required a bit of back-and-forth communication regarding the pricing & logistics but they were quick and easy to deal with. It was not inexpensive but neither would any other option be in that case. No worries and it appears that FedEx is the best pricing and least likely bike crusher of the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benneke
01-24-2016, 05:13 PM
I've used Bike Flights 8 or 9 times in the past couple years and have nothing but great things to say about them. Great service and low prices.

hockeybike
01-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Great service, and just remember that it is FedEx and not some bike loving shipper, pack accordingly.

pbarry
01-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Great service, and just remember that it is FedEx and not some bike loving shipper, pack accordingly.

Yep.. Shipped a bike and a set of wheels in December via BF. Both boxes made it fine.

While I was waiting in line to drop off, the Fedex clerk told another customer, "Boxes must be able withstand 140lb. stacked on top of them, in any configuration". My turn came up, and I asked about all my arrows on the boxes with THIS SIDE UP on top--Drivers don't pay attention to notes and arrows, so pack accordingly, was the reply. You've been warned.

ultraman6970
01-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Ultra sent a max frame to oregon or colorado, cant remember, not a problem. In my case i called them to figure it out because if something happened to the frame there is no way to fix it (tubes non available), the guys from bike flights understood the issue and I got the impression that they are easy to work with between reasonable limits, at least they gave me more reliability that what fedex could do if something happened to the frame.

FastforaSlowGuy
01-25-2016, 12:17 AM
Looks like they'll ship in a bike case as well as a box - might use this for my next vacation. $43 each way for my Pika standard case to go from Boston to San Diego - cheaper than the airlines and I don't have to suffer the stink-eye I get from my wife for hauling it around the airport, shuttle buses, etc.

Cicli
01-25-2016, 05:39 AM
Looks like they'll ship in a bike case as well as a box - might use this for my next vacation. $43 each way for my Pika standard case to go from Boston to San Diego - cheaper than the airlines and I don't have to suffer the stink-eye I get from my wife for hauling it around the airport, shuttle buses, etc.

Or the TSA jamokes that poorly repacked my bike and it arrived with a damaged finish and shifter.
I pack in an Iron ase and send via bikeflites.

btanner
01-25-2016, 07:19 AM
I've used Bike Flights 8 or 9 times in the past couple years and have nothing but great things to say about them. Great service and low prices.

Ditto

CSi
Legend Ti
Mevici SE

oldfatslow
01-25-2016, 08:44 AM
I had my own FedEx ground account which I used to ship bikes. I started using bikeflights as they use Fedex ground but their rates were way better than mine (1/3 cheaper). Great service from them. Highly recommend them.