PDA

View Full Version : Looking for thermal bibs (and other winter gear questions)

fa63
01-02-2016, 06:53 PM
One of my goals this year is to ride more, including in colder weather. So I would like recommendations for a good thermal bib tight that I can ride well into the 30s. I would like bibs with a built-in chamois. Another criteria I have, which might be weird to some but important to me, is that it provide adequate "frontal coverage". By that, I don't mean just coverage from the elements, but also coverage to make things less awkward when I walk into a gas station to fill up my bottles or at a coffee shop after a ride. Think more like Assos / Rapha (but without their prices) :D

Also, any recommendations for a nice long-sleeve base layer?

Last but not least, I would be curious to hear what your strategy is for riding in the 30s, from a layering perspective.

Thanks in advance!

steelbikerider
01-02-2016, 07:13 PM
The PI barrier elite thermal tights are nice and comfy down to 35- 40. If $$ are a concern, base layers can be found at Target that work almost as well as my Castelli Flanders base layer. they aren't a true cycling fit but they do the job. The thinnest is fine for 55 and up with a long sleeve jersey. The mid weight has some wool content and is good down to 45. I also use a Defeet short sleeve or sleeveless as a next to skin layer and carry a PI barrier elite vest in my pocket. Various combo's of the above mentioned items will take me down to 30 which is as cold as it gets around here.

JER3
01-02-2016, 08:12 PM
I'm also using the PI Elite Amfib cycling bib tights. They are the best single layer solution for the lower body that I've found. Very comfortable in 20 to 30 degree weather and seem to repel water and spray quite well.

Here's a link to the specific model I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Cycling-Tights-Medium/dp/B00SOMCKFY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451786805&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=perl+izumi+amfib+bib+tights

Hope that helps!

Gummee
01-02-2016, 08:21 PM
I'd recommend going with non-padded tights and stick regular shorts under em. When it gets really cold, stick some knickers under em for more coverage on your knees.

Wash your shorts every ride and your tights every once in a while. Dressed right, you won't get sweaty and you can wear the tights more than a day/time.

When it gets cold, I'm in my Phantom 2 jacket. I'll add layers under that based on temps. Pretty much always start with a mesh base layer and add smartwool on top of that.

I've accumulated several weights of tights over the years. From your basic polypro Nashbar tights I'll wear into the mid-40s to the Specialized somethingoranothers with the windproof panels I can't wear when its over 30.

HTH

M

carpediemracing
01-02-2016, 08:35 PM
If training (going slow / JRA) down into the 30s I'll wear my Nalini tights with some kind of wind stopper front panels. Can't comment on "coverage". My tights are pretty old, circa 2000, so dated in terms of padding etc. It's okay down to about 25 deg F road, 15 deg F off road.

Up top I'll do a LS base layer (whatever - I have an old Hind base layer, newer something else, either work), LS jersey, and jacket. Or SS jersey, jacket. I like my jackets, I want to be warm. I've raced well a bit bundled up and beaten stronger guys who were shivering like mad. I have to believe that keeping warm saved me energy, esp since in those races I'm typically working the race (outside) for 6 hours before I even get on the bike.

If in the upper 30s and I'm racing (working very hard) then I'll consider knickers (Verge, with padding, thermal material, no wind proof stuff), jacket up top with base layer and maybe a jersey (or LS base, LS jersey, SS jersey, wind vest). 45 deg definitely knickers for races, 40 is getting close, 38 or so is the limit for me. If raining then I tend to go knickers due to less weight. Vaseline on exposed skin surfaces.

Booties for all that stuff, and my favorites are the velcro back Side Traks. I think their patent ran out so now others sell similar set ups but the originals are super soft around the ankle and are great with knickers.

I bought some Canari gloves rated to 25 deg F. Haven't gone much below 32 deg or so and they've been fine. Gloves are no longer made.

carpediemracing
01-02-2016, 08:41 PM
I used to do shorts and non-padded tights. Tights would sag and catch on the saddle etc.

The tights I have now are super snug (maybe they're all like that?) and the fact that it's one layer means no real sagging. Thermal material sticks better to skin than to slippery lycra stuff.

I always machine wash-dry my stuff, like always. Even when I rode a lot my kit lasted a long time. I typically replaced a winter piece due to kit change (jacket) or because of a crash or something (tights, knickers). My knickers are from 2005-2006 (before I moved up here I think), my tights are 2000 or so (maybe even 1997 but I think I bought them after the shop closed). Booties are very old as well. Gloves, maybe 2004-2005.

Finally, if it's colder than expected, I just put on a clear rain jacket shell thing. Wind is killer, and the clear shell is great for keeping wind out. Doesn't breathe, etc, but whatever, I'm warm. I've raced numerous times with one under my team kit jersey.

milkbaby
01-02-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm in Florida so there's only a few times a year that I get to enjoy riding in temps down in the thirties. I have a few different bib tights for those conditions and my fave in the cold are fully wind blocking. The same goes for whatever jacket I'm wearing in those temps. Wind blocking shoe covers too. Come to think of it you can't go wrong with everything mostly wind blocking material. The only non wind blocking thing I wear is a fleece neck gaiter pulled over the nose.

toadbike
01-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Assos airblock!

earlfoss
01-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I have liked my Castelli Nanoflex bibs quite a bit this season. They're thermal and are water repellent which is perfect for WI winters. If you snoop around I think they're in the $100 ballpark which isn't as much as I thought something like these would run.

rwsaunders
01-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I've had great success over the past several Winters in terms of performance and wear with the Hincapie Arenberg zero wind bib tights. Made in Italy and around $100 on line. I tap out when it goes below 25 degrees and not because of the tights.

toronto-rider
01-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Living in Canada, you would say I have some experience riding in cold temperatures. My fingers and toes can't handle colder than 14F (-10C) so I don't ride outside when it is colder than that.
I have tried a bunch of bib tights over the years.
As with the reviews on Competitive cyclist, I don't like my Castelli top of the line tights. Fit is terrible.
What I think is the best range of clothing for the price, is Wiggle house brand DHB.
I have the prior version of this tight
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-roubaix-bib-tight/

Very warm, great pad and very comfortable. I also paid $100 for it. They often go on sale, but would highly recommend them. CHeck out the reviews. WIth the USD exchange and free shipping, you will save huge over other brands.

I also love my Giordina bibs, but close to double the price of DHB tights.
Off course if you have the money, Assos, Rapha etc.
Stay away from Castellis and don't like the pad in Pearl Izumi.

Elefantino
01-02-2016, 11:27 PM
If you lean toward warm bib knicks, PM me. Don't want to shill in public.

gb2319
01-03-2016, 01:49 AM
I'm in Michigan, so I do a fair bit of cold weather riding.

I live on Craft base layers in the winter (as should everyone ;) ), but this one is probably the best I own. They are super warm. Sadly, I don't think you can easily find them anymore (I have the bottoms that go with, too):

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/craft-sportswear-warm-ck-base-layer-top-merino-wool-long-sleeve-for-men~p~6079u/

And, if that merino baselayer isn't the best piece of winter kit I own, then it is this other Craft windproof baselayer:

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/craft-active-ws-crew-ls-lg?gclid=CjwKEAiAh560BRDu-aD93r-J_zoSJACrxZG2czDjETJcyckJYoqcM37j1-B_kM3D_VTM5iq-Z0S39RoClgrw_wcB

These things are truly awesome, and the windproof layer is actually sewn over the top of a normal baselayer, so unlike the newer stuff where everything seems to be integrated into the same fabric, you actually have a nice pocket of air between the lower layer, and the top windproof layer. This keeps you from getting the dreaded "plastic bag" feeling that is so common with windproof tops. I can't overstate how great this baselayer is. If it wasn't for my merino obsession, I'd only ever wear this thing.

I also own at least three other long sleeve Craft base layers (and two sleeveless ones for the summer), and each of them are awesome, but none are quite as warm as the two I've mentioned above. I also own the Castelli Flanders long sleeve base layer, and well...I never wear it. It pales in comparison to any of my Craft stuff, and isn't helpful at all below like 50 degrees.

As for bib tights, I have a couple options that I go with:

I have Castelli Sorpasso bibs, but they aren't good much below 50's for me. I can sneak down into the 40's if I wear Craft windproof boxers underneath (seriously...the lack of windproofing on the Castelli Sorpasso bibs really limits their temperature range for me...there is a windproof version, but I can't speak to those).

Another combination I like down into the low 40's and upper 30's is just a normal pair of bibs, with Nike Pro Combat thermal tights over top. I feel like non-padded bottoms over normal shorts don't get as much love as they should. It's not a bad combo at all...and the best part is that you can find the Nike Pro Combat tights for CHEAP.

However, when it is really nasty out, I wear Gore Xenon 2.0 SO bib tights over top of the Craft merino bottoms that match the above top. I've got the matching Gore Xenon 2.0 SO jacket too, which is really outstanding, and is beyond warm when paired with the above tops. It all just gets the job done, and I don't have a bad thing to say about any of it.

If it is truly awful out, and you are ok with being seen in cycling "pants", rather than just tights, add these over the top of any bib tights. They are also great to simply wear over your favorite pair of shorts down to freezing or so:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Mens-Alpine-Pant/dp/B00283O0WG

To finish things off, I wear a Smartwool training beanie, and the heavy weight Buff brand merino neck gaiter, which I use to cover my face (this is an awesome piece by the way...I absolutely love it). Then I wear cheap Seirus glove liners (these also have a built-in pocket to hold a had warmer if it is really nasty out) underneath Smartwool PhD training gloves. Below 30 degrees, I just wear Pearl Izumi lobster claw gloves. Those thing are amazing...but they actually don't see as much action as they should because they are usually too warm for me.

On my feet, I'm wearing Specialized Defroster boots over top of DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks. My feet always seem to get cold no matter what I do though, so I recently ordered some Gore Bike Wear Gore-Tex socks that I'm excited to add to the mix.

I guess the moral of the story is, cover yourself in merino, and wear windproof layers over that.

Happy riding.

CPP
01-03-2016, 03:58 AM
The Castelli Soprasso "Wind" tight adresses the lack of wind proofing of the normal Soprasso tight very well.

Castelli makes a real nice cold weather tight called the Polare wich has additional wind protection on the upper part of the bib. Because of the warm tempatures lately, my Polare hasn't seen any action this "winter".

oldpotatoe
01-03-2016, 05:50 AM
One of my goals this year is to ride more, including in colder weather. So I would like recommendations for a good thermal bib tight that I can ride well into the 30s. I would like bibs with a built-in chamois. Another criteria I have, which might be weird to some but important to me, is that it provide adequate "frontal coverage". By that, I don't mean just coverage from the elements, but also coverage to make things less awkward when I walk into a gas station to fill up my bottles or at a coffee shop after a ride. Think more like Assos / Rapha (but without their prices) :D

Also, any recommendations for a nice long-sleeve base layer?

Last but not least, I would be curious to hear what your strategy is for riding in the 30s, from a layering perspective.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know your size but LouDeeter has some for sale..buy with confidence(just bought some Nalini from him).

verticaldoug
01-03-2016, 06:26 AM
If they have your size, take a look around assosfacrotyoutlet.com You might find a good deal.

I also prefer the no insert for Assos. 1. You can just wear your favorite summer bib with your preferred chamois, and 2. The extra layer will help you protect the junk you are concerned with.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/knickers-tights/winter-ll-no-insert-blue/

Mikej
01-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Wisconsin rider here, I can tell you with the wind and low dew point dryness we face here, there is a pretty big difference between upper 30's and lower 30's - I've been using some north face windproof underwear and a good layer of embro- I've found that lotion really keeps the heat in. But if it gets to 30 or upper 20's I stay in because my FRC GIORDANA wind bibs are useles. Same with the jacket, I'm really disappointed and wish I went with ASSSOS, but then I would probably sweat too much in the 35+ range. I guess that's why they make several levels of gear- good luck

happycampyer
01-03-2016, 07:38 AM
If they have your size, take a look around assosfacrotyoutlet.com You might find a good deal.

I also prefer the no insert for Assos. 1. You can just wear your favorite summer bib with your preferred chamois, and 2. The extra layer will help you protect the junk you are concerned with.

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/knickers-tights/winter-ll-no-insert-blue/This would be my recommendation, too. Having the chamois in bibs underneath the tights keeps the chamois close to you. When the chamois is built into the tights, it's harder to get a good fit. Also, the chamois in winter tights is often lower quality than the ones used in summer bibshorts--by getting tights w/o chamois, you get to use your favorite bibshorts, and the chamois is usually a big part of what makes a short one's favorite. As Doug mentioned, the extra layer of protection from the double material is a plus and, if it gets really cold, you can wear thermal shorts or even bib knickers underneath for extra warmth (as Gummee noted).

fa63
01-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions so far. Looks like I got some shopping to do :)