PDA

View Full Version : Pace line custom headset caps?

Tickdoc
01-01-2016, 07:34 PM
Not the one's for your head, but the ones for your stem.....has anyone ever made some for the forumites?

I'll take two with some dancing bananas, please.

Hey, where'd my dancing banana icon go, anyway?:help:

oldpotatoe
01-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Not the one's for your head, but the ones for your stem.....has anyone ever made some for the forumites?

I'll take two with some dancing bananas, please.

Hey, where'd my dancing banana icon go, anyway?:help:

Vecchio's has some that spell out HTFU...call 'em.

Bruce K
01-02-2016, 09:04 AM
I got your dancin' banana for you.... right here!

:banana::banana::banana:

The steer tube cap idea hasn't ever come before that I can recall.

Similar to the cycling caps and other "branded" stuff, work up a design and a plan and run it by the mods. Stuff like that should include a portion to help keep the lights on.

BK

oldpotatoe
01-02-2016, 09:05 AM
I got your dancin' banana for you.... right here!

:banana::banana::banana:

The steer tube cap idea hasn't ever come before that I can recall.

Similar to the cycling caps and other "branded" stuff, work up a design and a plan and run it by the mods. Stuff like that should include a portion to help keep the lights on.

BK

Vecchio's has a local company to do their stem caps..maybe have them do it.

Tickdoc
01-02-2016, 09:50 AM
I don't have any pace line jerseys, jackets, caps, etc. but a little headset cap would be an easy way to brand a bike around here.

As many times as our bikes tend switch between forumites, it would also b cool to see a bike with cap pass hands.

Just a thought (:banana: is back!)

R3awak3n
01-02-2016, 10:23 AM
I did a group buy for some headset caps on another forum. Used this company called kustom caps. They were excellent, super responsive, super fast. I ended up ordering about 150 caps I think and it ended up being about $5 each.

Oh here is the link:

http://kustomcaps.com/

Highly recommended you go with these guys.

Tickdoc
01-02-2016, 10:43 AM
I did a group buy for some headset caps on another forum. Used this company called kustom caps. They were excellent, super responsive, super fast. I ended up ordering about 150 caps I think and it ended up being about $5 each.

Oh here is the link:

Perfect. Double the price to add a little to the forum?

Design by committee?
How about a little design competition?

Anyone game?

Cicli
01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Perfect. Double the price to add a little to the forum?

Design by committee?
How about a little design competition?

Anyone game?

I cant draw a stick figure but would be interested in supporting mt bike habit by purchasing one of these.

Black Dog
01-02-2016, 11:54 AM
I would buy at least 2 or 3. :banana:

purpurite
01-02-2016, 12:07 PM
I can lay something out pretty quickly. Looks like they do a laser etch, which would be one color on a colored cap of your choice. Though, might be kinda neat to do a one-off forum cap in gold with a blue or black bolt.

Let me see what I can rough out this afternoon.

Elefantino
01-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Must have :banana:.

"PACELINE" up top. "FORUM" on the bottom.

:banana: on either side :banana:

Tickdoc
01-02-2016, 03:04 PM
I was thinking we use our pace line group of riders like on the banner up top....but....replace the riders with bananas!:banana:

krhea
01-02-2016, 04:29 PM
I was thinking we use our pace line group of riders like on the banner up top....but....replace the riders with bananas!:banana:

Please oh please leave the bananas off this Paceline item...did I say please? If not I meant to...

Something classy like has already been mentioned is enough, Paceline on top, Forum on the bottom. Nice, clean and modern.

purpurite
01-02-2016, 04:53 PM
So I did a few quick mock ups (I hate working on a laptop without a mouse) based on the KustomCaps specs, and a few with the dancing banana. Personally, I could do without the dopey banana, as it's not something original to this forum.

http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/random/bikes/paceline/paceline_001.jpg

Easy choice for me... I like the 1st one a lot, and would use that on my bike. That's just my opinion, though.

Cicli
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
I like the first one myself.

tumbler
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
That was quick. I like the first one, but will probably be in for whichever one gets the votes.

purpurite
01-02-2016, 05:11 PM
I did a second comp without the banana--a little more simple, a bit classier.

http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/random/bikes/paceline/paceline_002.jpg

R3awak3n
01-02-2016, 05:13 PM
3rd one. In black though.

ceolwulf
01-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Kustom Caps is a top notch outfit. They did the cap on my Scott.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/b38bb599762bf20acaf6fa5b497d6429.jpg

dave thompson
01-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Give me dancing bananas or give me death!:banana:

Ronsonic
01-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Oh here is the link:

I went over there, looked at "specialty caps" the first thing that hit my eye: "Joey's Okay." :D

Yep, another bunch of total bike-dorks.

Elefantino
01-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Give me dancing bananas or give me death!:banana:
Right with you, brother.

I actually like the one with the, um, big banana. :banana:

One of the reasons I like the banana logo: HERE (http://youtu.be/J5UuI-VeW5s)

vqdriver
01-02-2016, 11:32 PM
That was fun.
I'm down for a couple.

Keith A
01-03-2016, 07:16 AM
upon3 -- nice work!

Tickdoc
01-03-2016, 07:53 AM
So I did a few quick mock ups (I hate working on a laptop without a mouse) based on the KustomCaps specs, and a few with the dancing banana. Personally, I could do without the dopey banana, as it's not something original to this forum.

Easy choice for me... I like the 1st one a lot, and would use that on my bike. That's just my opinion, though.

I gotta admit...I like the first one too. Maybe bananas need to be just tube stickers.

Such a talented group of people around here.

Should we give it a few weeks and see if anyone else wants to submit an idea before we choose?

Good work, and thanks!

tiretrax
01-03-2016, 08:01 AM
I would get #1, but cam it come in other colors?

shovelhd
01-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Right with you, brother.

I actually like the one with the, um, big banana. :banana:

One of the reasons I like the banana logo: HERE (http://youtu.be/J5UuI-VeW5s)

I'm with you. The one with the big banana on the top right. I would buy that one for my rain bike.

AngryScientist
01-03-2016, 09:35 AM
These are really nice folks!

Please remember, if someone is considering running with this that if something winds up going to production with our Paceline brand on it, the mods really need to have some level of approval as we do own the brand.

i do like where this is going though!

Tickdoc - if you're leading the charge here, PM me once it looks like things get serious and we can chat, or whoever else...

cheers!

happy 2016!

Tickdoc
01-03-2016, 09:45 AM
These are really nice folks!

Please remember, if someone is considering running with this that if something winds up going to production with our Paceline brand on it, the mods really need to have some level of approval as we do own the brand.

i do like where this is going though!

Tickdoc - if you're leading the charge here, PM me once it looks like things get serious and we can chat, or whoever else...

cheers!

happy 2016!

I'm happy to help however I can, but I would love for someone in a more official position to bless, approve, acquire, and disperse said caps. I'll pm you later for details and cheers to you as well!

AngryScientist
01-03-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm happy to help however I can, but I would love for someone in a more official position to bless, approve, acquire, and disperse said caps. I'll pm you later for details and cheers to you as well!

excellent. good work getting the ball rolling.

makoti
01-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Nice designs. I'd vote for the first one. No bananas for me. And it would have to be a different color. Yellow might work for one bike, but not the other & not my first choice, either way.

purpurite
01-03-2016, 10:47 AM
It's possible that KustomCaps may produce and distribute for the forums, that way no one is stuck taking the bite for the whole lot and trying to recover initial expenses. They seem to almost do on-demand caps, so it might be possible to get a completely custom setup.

I'm happy to contribute artwork in whatever capacity needed, though, so whatever anyone decides, it's not a problem.

Tickdoc
01-03-2016, 10:50 AM
It's possible that KustomCaps may produce and distribute for the forums, that way no one is stuck taking the bite for the whole lot and trying to recover initial expenses. They seem to almost do on-demand caps, so it might be possible to get a completely custom setup.

I'm happy to contribute artwork in whatever capacity needed, though, so whatever anyone decides, it's not a problem.

Thank you so much for doing the designs and for making them available.

Once we have forum approval, hopefully we can decide ordering and custom color details.

Fun project!

William
01-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Nice job!:cool:

Thanks for pitching in and getting the ball rolling here. Some nice designs there that the Mod team will discuss as things move forward.

William

dave thompson
01-03-2016, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see at least one design incorporating 'our' banana made, as he's been around since the beginning; 2003. I think I may have an emotional attachment to him.

macaroon
01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
The third one, with the big banana - that's the one! :banana:

dave thompson
01-03-2016, 03:18 PM

The banana has been around since the beginning of what now is the Paceline forum.

purpurite
01-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Right, what I meant was that "Humba" the Peanut Butter Jelly Time banana was floating around the internet long before this forum was here. ;)

I'm guessing two options (one with and one without the banana) should probably be offered. Looks like #1 and #4 seem to be the most popular.

alexstar
01-04-2016, 05:58 PM
These look great! A big thanks to you for doing the layouts.

I'm in for a few, the "Big Banana" is my personal favorite but I would defer to the vox populi.

Ronsonic
01-04-2016, 08:45 PM
I'm using dumb headset caps so would love to get a couple cool ones. #1 is my first pick.

purpurite
01-04-2016, 08:53 PM
BTW (and I'm shocked no one has pointed it out yet), if it winds up being one of the selected options, I will re-draw the sprocket on version 1 with a pretty Campy 5-bolt pattern and not the wonky 6-bolt pattern on it right now. It was a piece of clipart used in a quickie mock-up. A correct and accurate chainring will be used as a model of the final art, if we need it.

doug

john903
01-04-2016, 08:55 PM
My vote is the first one, but with a black cog and black letters. Well I have to say I like bananas too but only to eat of, course that is IMHO.
Thanks for putting his together.

AngryScientist
01-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Nice work. Let's let this percolate for a few more days, then I will turn it into a Poll, and we can vote. I'll take on the task of checking with a vendor or two and we can go from there.

ideally we can get enough commitment for 2 options, likely banana and no banana, so everyone can be happy, but we'll see what the numbers show.

thanks folks,

purpurite
01-04-2016, 09:12 PM
My vote is the first one, but with a black cog and black letters. Well I have to say I like bananas too but only to eat of, course that is IMHO.
Thanks for putting his together.

The way those are made, they are laser etched--like the logos on Hope or King hubs & headsets. There is no black. It's white on a color. I guess we could do a knock out reverse on a black cap, but that's probably different art and a separate option.

http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/random/bikes/paceline/paceline_003.jpg

blano
01-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Like the first top cap option as originally presented, nice work with the options!

Caballero
01-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Add a 1" option !

Polyglot
01-05-2016, 12:30 AM
BTW (and I'm shocked no one has pointed it out yet), if it winds up being one of the selected options, I will re-draw the sprocket on version 1 with a pretty Campy 5-bolt pattern and not the wonky 6-bolt pattern on it right now. It was a piece of clipart used in a quickie mock-up. A correct and accurate chainring will be used as a model of the final art, if we need it.

Don't you mean 4-bolt Campagnolo pattern? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

SpokeValley
01-05-2016, 08:14 AM
This is so great!

Either #1 or #4 for me. I'm in for two.

Thanks for doing this, gang.

tumbler
01-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Black cap with the yellow bolt is very cool.

thirdgenbird
01-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Black cap with the yellow bolt is very cool.

Agreed.

Is it possible to get a flat or concave cap? I think they look better than the traditional convex cap.

purpurite
01-05-2016, 08:49 AM
From the samples I have seen from KustomCaps (http://kustomcaps.com), they are all typical domed style caps. I'm sure that once the project gets to the point where communication with them is needed, the variables can be ironed out, though.

druptight
01-05-2016, 11:45 AM
black cap with the yellow bolt is very cool.

+1

Tickdoc
01-05-2016, 12:25 PM
I am also ready to order! I might have to get a few to compliment more than one bike.

Incredible job on the different designs.

crashnburn
01-05-2016, 12:25 PM
+1 on the black too! :banana:

jmoore
01-06-2016, 10:19 AM
I have done this sort of thing with the cycling caps a couple of times.

Lessons:

1. Consider doing this as a preorder. Make people pay up front and buy some extras, maybe 10%, for the stragglers.

2. Don't solicit too much input in the design. Put your designs up, select one and get the mods approval. You will never please everyone. All your designs are great, btw.

3. Have a flat fee for everything. You need to consider all the costs of shipping and the donation to the site. Top cap, shipping envelope, address labels, actual shipping cost with tracking, site donation, etc.

4. The design and production is the easy part. Order management and fulfillment is BY FAR the biggest headache in this process.

drewellison
01-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Matching hbar end plugs?

Tickdoc
01-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Bumping this thread up a bit...any word where we are at with the custom caps?

I've got a new to me bike that is just aching for one;)

AngryScientist
01-14-2016, 10:48 AM
good call.

let me turn this into a poll in a little bit.

jmoore and i have a plan - stan.

Nick

josephr
01-14-2016, 10:50 AM
I am also ready to order! I might have to get a few to compliment more than one bike.

Incredible job on the different designs.

+1 --- like both, would order one of each if I had the option!

Keith A
01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
You don't need to be coy, Roy :)

AngryScientist
01-18-2016, 05:38 PM
OK,

picking up the ball on this one. I personally would like to see two caps go to production, one with a banana and one without.

pulling the art in from upon in the other thread, my votes are (top line 3rd in) from here:

and the black cap with yellow bolt from here:

AngryScientist
01-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I plan on calling the vendor tomorrow morning and getting an approximate price and minimum order for two caps.

once i have some numbers in hand i'll be back to this thread to put it to a vote.

if anyone feels strongly about any designs they really want to see go to press, or really dont want to see, call them out now, so we can narrow a pole down to a reasonable number.

Cicli
01-18-2016, 05:43 PM
I dont really care. I will take a set of whatevers.

vqdriver
01-18-2016, 05:44 PM
I like those designs.

djg21
01-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Can we mix and match? I'd like a black one with the blue fixing bolt.

Ronsonic
01-18-2016, 05:59 PM
I dont really care. I will take a set of whatevers.

I'm with him or her or gender identity to be determined, as the case may be.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But sell me a cap. My main bike is black and white and this will make it awesome so take my money.

These DO look good.

jmoore
01-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Can we mix and match? I'd like a black one with the blue fixing bolt.
I am going to say no in multiple options on the bolts. It really complicates the order fulfillment process.

There are plenty of places you can get adonized bits and pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cicli
01-18-2016, 06:14 PM
I am going to say no in multiple options on the bolts. It really complicates the order fulfillment process.

There are plenty of places you can get adonized bits and pieces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Agreed, too many choices makes it a pain in the ass for the people doing the legwork. Heck, if no bolt makes it easier I am good with that. Some of the custom caps dont come with any bolt. Like skewers with botique hubs.

Next there will be a bunch of caps in classifieds with no bolts. :eek::bike:

djg21
01-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Agreed, too many choices makes it a pain in the ass for the people doing the legwork. Heck, if no bolt makes it easier I am good with that. Some of the custom caps dont come with any bolt. Like skewers with botique hubs.

Next there will be a bunch of caps in classifieds with no bolts. :eek::bike:

Likewise. I like the black one.

Tickdoc
01-18-2016, 06:21 PM
OK,

picking up the ball on this one.

Thank you, sir. I'll take whatever comes and wear it proudly.:beer:

TBLS
01-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Great job...I like the black one

makoti
01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Isn't the yellow bolt just for artwork purposes? That's hollow, isn't it? Or have I just not looked at the cap on my bike in a long time?

purpurite
01-18-2016, 07:15 PM
The caps show bolts because I believe the vendor of these custom caps supplie their caps with an anodized bolt in the color of your choice. In this case, they will be a bulk order, so one cap color, one bolt color should be the norm.

However, knowing how businesses like this work, I am guessing that there is a good chance that they might be able to do the inventory management and order fulfillment. If that's the case, you MIGHT be able to get the cap/bolt in whatever color combination you want. It would be the ideal situation, and everyone pretty much gets what they want, but it all depends on how the manufacturer wants to manage the order.

The alternative is ordering 100 caps & 100 bolts, 100 bubble envelopes and marking up to cover the costs of the product, shipping and payment fees and THEN give a bit back to the site. That just adds complexity to the process, and relies on someone to donate time and effort (and probably an initial outlay of cash) to execute the sale. Not ideal, but any means, but it's been done many times before.

AngryScientist
01-18-2016, 07:19 PM
i think what we'll probably wind up doing is a pre-order, just like with the paceline caps (for your head) - commit to buy, fork up your duckets up front. we make the order, plus a few extras and deliver.

this weeds out the people who SAY they want one but never follow through, and gives us real numbers for how many to order.

purpurite
01-18-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm always for limiting complexity and offering too many choices. Simpler is more better.

AngryScientist
and upon3 - thanks for all of your efforts, i'll be in touch for some artwork-ee

purpurite
and upon3 - thanks for all of your efforts, i'll be in touch for some artwork-ee

Not a problem. I just started working on a more accurate chainring graphic. :)

fishbolish
01-18-2016, 10:21 PM
count me in for at least 2 (& the banana ,if it comes to pass)

Keith A
01-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks to all who are making this happen. My two cents on the design is that ones with the chainring on it looks busy to me.

tumbler
01-19-2016, 07:36 AM
As long as one of them is black, I think you'll have plenty of participants. I'm not too picky on the design itself.

Tickdoc
01-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Just a thought before this thing ramps into production mode....the artwork is the unique part of this project and it sounds like we have to viable versions to choose from ( could be only one, too hard to tell at this point).

How hard is the manufacturing of different color combos from the maker?

May make the cost a bit higher, but if they program the etching machine to print, and color is just up to the guy loading the caps, it would be cool to have a "pick your favorite color" combination choice.

I know, I know, I am always good at throwing a wrench into things just before they take off.:D

Just a question I'd be curious what the answer to is.

And fwiw, I'm buying some regardless :beer:

AngryScientist
01-19-2016, 07:52 AM
good point doc, i'll inquire about that.

eippo1
01-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Just wanted to pile on with my kudos to all involved. I'd be in for at least 1 or 2 if you end up doing multiple designs.

jmoore
01-19-2016, 09:29 AM
How hard is the manufacturing of different color combos from the maker?

May make the cost a bit higher, but if they program the etching machine to print, and color is just up to the guy loading the caps, it would be cool to have a "pick your favorite color" combination choice.

Manufacturing multiple colors is probably fairly easy. Setting up the order page, receiving inventory and fulfilling orders is WAY more complicated.

PLEASE keep the options to a minimum.

v531xc
01-19-2016, 09:30 AM
this is very cool! I'd be down to buy two, and if the banana ever makes it to a top cap, count me in for those as well!

Varun

EPIC! Stratton
01-19-2016, 09:36 AM
I like 1 and 4

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

crashnburn
01-19-2016, 09:59 AM
I like the black ones but whatever gets done, I'll still order a few.

Good job to all!

purpurite
01-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Ok, so a few things... I redid the chainring, because I thought the 6-bolt ring looked odd. The new one is a Campy cloverleaf 5-bolt, and I think it looks much nicer. V2 in the image is a double chainring version I did because I wanted to see what it looks like. It may or may not be everyone's tastes, but I liked it so I put it in the final options.

I included both versions of the Humba Banana cap, because there seemed to be a lot of favor for the large single, and a few mods looked like they may lean towards the other one, so I included them both for the final view.

http://www.apexspeed.com/doug/random/bikes/paceline/paceline_004.jpg

The artwork is pretty much ready, would just take a bit of time to prep for the final production, but it's no sweat, whichever way everyone leans. The hard stuff is done already.

doug

Keith A
01-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Doug -- Great work...thanks a million.

makoti
01-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Doug -- Great work...thanks a million.

Agreed! Looks great!

vqdriver
01-19-2016, 11:37 AM
That looks great guys. Thanks to those putting this together.

buldogge
01-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Those look great!

Simpler is almost always better in graphics (I think you would agree)...ie V1 and V3 work best...IMHO.

-Mark in St. Louis

sokyroadie
01-19-2016, 12:07 PM
I would be in for a couple - 1 w/o & 1 w the :banana:

I like all the final designs so whatever the majority wants.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

jmoore
01-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Those look great!

Simpler is almost always better in graphics (I think you would agree)...ie V1 and V3 work best...IMHO.

-Mark in St. Louis

^this

Black Dog
01-19-2016, 02:14 PM
those look great!

Simpler is almost always better in graphics (i think you would agree)...ie v1 and v3 work best...imho.

-mark in st. Louis

+1.5

thattallasiangu
01-23-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm always for limiting complexity and offering too many choices. Simpler is more better.

I agree! Quality over Quantity!

Elefantino
01-24-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm in for a V3 :banana:

AngryScientist
01-24-2016, 06:01 PM
look for a poll tomorrow morning. i got the numberzz

Tickdoc
01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
look for a poll tomorrow morning. i got the numberzz

Thank you mr super moderator sir, you rock!

ajhapps
01-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Subscribed!

These look awesome, great work.