PDA

View Full Version : What's gonna break?

r_serati
01-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi All, I'm looking for some advice and wisdom from those who've done this before. I just finished up my first-ever build and am going to take it outside tomorrow. Are there any particular things I should look (listen) for? Do you go through any sort of routine when breaking in a new build? What is most likely to need adjustment/attention? The new parts are: everything except the frame and wheels.
It's only going to be 43F so I won't be going fast and I'm aiming for flattish terrain. I've had it on my trainer for a couple weeks so I know it shifts okay. I was thinking of packing my torque wrench and maybe a small Phillips head for adjusting limit screws. Anything else?
Thanks for your advice. I can't tell you how many times I searched this forum during the build!
Roylnn

pinkshogun
01-01-2016, 01:18 PM
allen wrenches for saddle and seat post adjustments

Cicli
01-01-2016, 01:21 PM

Yep,
Things like limit screws dont need to be reset if the build is right. Ever.
A couple of allen keys should do it. I very rarely make any adjustments out on the road.
Have fun and enjoy your new bike.

ldamelio
01-01-2016, 01:23 PM
If it's been OK on the trainer and you've carefully torqued everything on the build, all will likely be fine. Most likely things are minor, like seat post slippage, etc. As you are doing, bring along a multi-tool with whatever hex/torx/screwdrivers match the components. I wouldn't bother with the torque wrench on the road. Some things (again, most likely seat post or handlebar) slip despite textbook torque settings and just need a little more tightening. Torque wrenches are great, especially for carbon fiber components, but aren't always the definitive answer. This happens because of slight variations in tolerances with different brands of posts and frames and bars and stems.

R3awak3n
01-01-2016, 01:31 PM
I agree, if it shifts fine on the trainer it should be ok. I would just bring a multi tool for saddle adjustments if need be

classtimesailer
01-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Headset, handlebars, brake levers, and rear skewer are what I sometimes don't get tight enough. The trainer may not test those properly.

makoti
01-01-2016, 01:47 PM

+1. That should cover you.

FlashUNC
01-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Just bring some allen wrenches, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't take it too far, just in case something catastrophic does turn up -- crank arm falls off, etc -- but if you've had it on the trainer with no issues, you should be gravy.

R3awak3n
01-01-2016, 02:03 PM
bring your cellphone :cool:

r_serati
01-01-2016, 02:03 PM
bring your cellphone :cool:

Now that's confidence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
01-01-2016, 02:06 PM
so what did you build?

generally anything requiring more than a multitool out on the road merits having the thing in a stand.

r_serati
01-01-2016, 02:32 PM
so what did you build?

generally anything requiring more than a multitool out on the road merits having the thing in a stand.

Well, since you asked....

http://imgur.com/a/uN1i6

First and second are before/after and the rest are in-process.

Cicli
01-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Well, since you asked....

http://imgur.com/a/uN1i6

First and second are before/after and the rest are in-process.
Looks good.

AngryScientist
01-01-2016, 02:41 PM
nice!

that is a pretty awesome bike work stand thing too. i like it!

Birddog
01-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Just take it for a 50 mile out and back. If anything goes haywire it'll be around the mid point. Cell phone and Allen wrenches are about all you should need.

mmfs
01-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Sweet build! As others said, allen wrenches should do it. And who makes that workstand?

weisan
01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
assuming you know what you are doing and have done all your research before starting the work...

if you still have all your teeth and the bike is still intact after the first 5k, then you are fine, nuthin's gonna break.

new cable might stretch a bit after first couple of rides but you should be able to fix that using the barrel adjuster, don't need any special tool.

r_serati
01-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Sweet build! As others said, allen wrenches should do it. And who makes that workstand?

I got it off Amazon. Around $30 but I can't remember the mfg. it was the only
Orange one though so you should be able to find it.

Frankwurst
01-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Hi All, I'm looking for some advice and wisdom from those who've done this before. I just finished up my first-ever build and am going to take it outside tomorrow. Are there any particular things I should look (listen) for? Do you go through any sort of routine when breaking in a new build? What is most likely to need adjustment/attention? The new parts are: everything except the frame and wheels.
It's only going to be 43F so I won't be going fast and I'm aiming for flattish terrain. I've had it on my trainer for a couple weeks so I know it shifts okay. I was thinking of packing my torque wrench and maybe a small Phillips head for adjusting limit screws. Anything else?
Thanks for your advice. I can't tell you how many times I searched this forum during the build!
Roylnn

Bring allen wrenches. I'd be supprised if you need those given what you've put into it so far. It ain't gonna break. Worst case scenariois your saddle and stem.Let it rock and let it roll!:beer:

Tony T
01-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Pack a spare tube
(6 miles into my ride today and I get the 1st flat of the year :()

unterhausen
01-02-2016, 12:41 AM
nice!

that is a pretty awesome bike work stand thing too. i like it!

looks like it's this one http://www.amazon.com/Conquer-Bicycle-Mount-Repair-Stand/dp/B00KXFI1N0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1451716708&sr=8-7&keywords=bicycle+workstand
there is a cheaper version that doesn't rotate

Louis
01-02-2016, 01:02 AM

But whatever you do, don't over-torque the seat post clamp or the saddle rail hold-down screws. If you do, you will break something.

soulspinner
01-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Pack a spare tube
(6 miles into my ride today and I get the 1st flat of the year :()

yup.Nice bike many happy miles.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Roylnn

If built well and onto a trainer, doubt anything will go wrong. Bike builds, like wheel builds, don't 'break in' or need a 'first ride tune'..

BobbyJones
01-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Looking at pics...notably your attention to detail in the finishing of your garage and work area along with your trainer rides I'm gonna find it hard to believe ANYTHING is going to go wrong.

Nice bike. Enjoy that thing!

tumbler
01-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Nice bike. Bring a few allen keys and you'll be fine.

Ronsonic
01-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Yep, multi-tool should do. The only unusual tool I bring on a shakedown ride is the big allen that tightens the crankarms onto the old school bottom brackets I still use. Needed one, once. Haven't since, but it goes with me for the first real ride.

On a couple of builds I've had to adjust the headset after getting out there. I suspect I've been wussing out on seating the race.

That's one of the differences between pro and amateur mechanics. The pro nails it the first time. The amateur has to creep up on it.

r_serati
01-02-2016, 08:41 PM
That's one of the differences between pro and amateur mechanics. The pro nails it the first time. The amateur has to creep up on it.

You nailed it there. I will be creeping up on this problem. I couldn't get into the smallest cog, even fiddling with the barrel adjusters. And there's a disturbing flutter in the front end while descending. So not a resounding success but I'll tinker and try again tomorrow.
Actually, I'm glad I didn't nail it first time. I was hoping wrenching would be like poker: you can learn the rules in ten minutes but it takes a lifetime to learn the game. And it looks like I'm getting my wish.

oldpotatoe
01-03-2016, 06:07 AM
You nailed it there. I will be creeping up on this problem. I couldn't get into the smallest cog, even fiddling with the barrel adjusters. And there's a disturbing flutter in the front end while descending. So not a resounding success but I'll tinker and try again tomorrow.
Actually, I'm glad I didn't nail it first time. I was hoping wrenching would be like poker: you can learn the rules in ten minutes but it takes a lifetime to learn the game. And it looks like I'm getting my wish.

Disconnect cable, barrel adjust all the way in. Limit screw for smallest cog out a wee bit. Push der up with your thumb(cable disconnected), while on stand. See if it easily goes to smallest cog. Maybe check der hanger alignment.

Check HS adjust, front wheel tension. For the 'flutter'. One inch fork...

Ti Designs
01-03-2016, 08:52 AM
I said something like this a few years ago and got flamed from all directions for not having any respect for forum member's mechanical ability (which I believe is much like the ability to pedal a bike - you're not born with it). I haven't been flamed in over a week, so here goes...

Find a good bike mechanic, buy 'em a few slices of pizza and a beer in exchange for checking the bike out and going over anything they find wrong. The worst you can do is feed a bike mechanic (not so bad), the best case I can't even guess.