PDA

View Full Version : Paved (magazine)

Tickdoc
12-31-2015, 08:22 PM
It's not around anymore, right?

I have a few old issues that I keep around. Just finished my favorite little article about an early April bike ride into Yellowstone.

Ben horan was the author, and it is just extremely well done.

I just subscribed to peloton. Good rag, not as good as paved was, I fear. I like seeing the new gear, and don't mind some pro stuff, but little articles like an early jaunt into Yellowstone are what set that one apart. Someone gifted me bicycling mag a while back, and while there is some worthwhile stuff there, every time I pick one up, I get the same feeling....these are the same damn articles and generic "how to change a flat, how to ride in a group, are tubular a worth the hassle?" crap I read when I was a teenager.

What do you guys like to read?

sw3759
12-31-2015, 09:10 PM
yeah I liked Paved a lot too.i think it went under and they sent me some crappy mtb magazine instead to finish out the subscription.Peloton is hit or miss it seems but I still subscribe.
Rouleur is my favorite by far.also subscribe to Cyclist and RBA

*forgot to add,i also subscribe to BQ,since It started I think and Bicycling too since I got it on some 3 years for like 10 bucks or something.actually they have some decent articles now and then.feels worth what I paid at least

CampyorBust
01-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeah I had a feeling this was the case, I went into B&N to buy some bike mags a few months ago. I could not find Paved, asked the awkwardly non-cyclist looking guy looking cluelessly at bike mags if he had seen one in the jumble, surprise surprise he had no clue. Anyways I bought my habitual RBA and Bicycle, man do I regret the Bicycle purchase. I can't say how many times I have regretted buying Bicycle magazine, Paved was way way better. I think Bike Magazine owns them now, I like those guys the Bible series was enjoyable.

Peleton is good stuff, I was a fan of the Testrider product review videos by Ben Edwards back in the day, looks like they have incorporated them into their magazine/website. This is the magazine I should have bought, force of habit and all that. I saw a sexy Pivot 429 trail on the cover

Bstone
01-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Paved had too much "lifestyle" and food crap. I liked the "bike" half of each issue. But it was photo heavy and text light. Not much real content. Short articles, not very well developed.

Peloton is somewhat similar. The bike articles are interesting if short. There are plenty of food and wine magazines....Frankly, I don't know how long it can last. I buy about every third or fourth issue.

Bicycling is apparently written for people who have just started riding bicycles. Every month there is a new article about how to change a flat or the satisfaction of actually riding over your first hill without puking (I'm getting there). I'm never sure how anyone could ever purchase a second issue. I go to the library and skim six months of back issues in about a half hour.

Rouleur is excellent but very expensive for a working man. It is certainly the best.

mmfs
01-01-2016, 03:59 PM
I've been enjoying Bicycle Quarterly for the past few years. Some of the historical stuff isn't of great personal interest, but the bike reviews and travel stories are good. Albeit all from the perspective of Jan Heine, which you may or may not be into. http://www.bikequarterly.com/

Prior to that, the UK's Cycling Plus was my magazine of choice, until the articles got repetitive.

ceolwulf
01-01-2016, 09:23 PM
Peloton is not bad but feels mostly like a very weak copy of Rouleur. It's like everything is one third scale. I do have a subscription but won't be renewing. My conclusion is to subscribe to Rouleur only and get race reports and news and reviews online.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2016, 06:59 AM
It's not around anymore, right?

I have a few old issues that I keep around. Just finished my favorite little article about an early April bike ride into Yellowstone.

Ben horan was the author, and it is just extremely well done.

I just subscribed to peloton. Good rag, not as good as paved was, I fear. I like seeing the new gear, and don't mind some pro stuff, but little articles like an early jaunt into Yellowstone are what set that one apart. Someone gifted me bicycling mag a while back, and while there is some worthwhile stuff there, every time I pick one up, I get the same feeling....these are the same damn articles and generic "how to change a flat, how to ride in a group, are tubular a worth the hassle?" crap I read when I was a teenager.

What do you guys like to read?

Rouleur..best Cycling mag I read. Expensive, but great stories and great photography.

Story about DeRosa, with Ugo, was really about 'being Italian', not bikes. Story about Berzin NEVER mentioned his name in the entire article. You didn't know who it was about until the photos/posers shown. Great stuff.

The only cycling mag I buy..