PDA

View Full Version : SRAM S900 Levers Rattling - Has anyone disassembled them?

dzxc
12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
One is rock solid, the other rattles a little from left to right, which to me indicates that it's not a loose brake cable as that would cause play from front to back. When I'm riding anything but extremely smooth/new road, it rattles unless my hand is on it.

Has anyone disassembled one of these? I wouldn't disassemble standard shifters, but I don't think these have many internal parts as they're just a brake lever. Or, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the play?

Should be the same as the S500, which is identical but for carbon levers versus aluminum.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/n9g24.e5uwf/v/vspfiles/photos/Sram-00.5215.024.000-2.jpg

seanile
12-31-2015, 06:07 PM
have you crashed on that side before? the hinge holding the lever in is plastic and could be stretched wider due to the lever's lateral stressing when hitting the ground.

dzxc
12-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Haven't crashed, but did buy them used. No marks though indicating a crash or damage.

Peter P.
12-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Haven't crashed, but did buy them used. No marks though indicating a crash or damage.

Unfortunately, that could be why the previous owner sold them. May be just a defect. Try e-mailing SRAM and see if they have a suggestion.

etu
12-31-2015, 10:32 PM
Have had two prior experiences with rattling from brake levers, both with TRP. First was due to problem with the clamp attaching to the handlebar not seating properly. This resulted in minor damage to handlebar where the screw scratched bar and fortunately nothing worse. Second was related to a washer/spacer problem in the lever mechanism which required a replacement (good customers service). I'd take the lever off of the handlebar to make sure it's not the clamping mechanism. If it isn't that, then contact SRAM.

oldpotatoe
01-01-2016, 06:09 AM

Is the brake lever blade loose in the body, wiggle/play? They might just be worn, if there is movement, side to side.

You could try the warranty route but sram isn't the warranty anything for any reason at any time, place they once were. Recalls of disc brakes cost them some fairly big $.

Neil
01-01-2016, 06:15 AM
I had this, with these very levers, take the hood off and investigate - I cured mine by carefully poking everything I found with a very small alan key until I found a bit that moved, then tightened it up.

dzxc
01-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Looked at it more closely on the bike. It is attached to the handlebar without issue. The problem is that the actual blade itself moves side to side. I tried messing with the reach adjustment screw and it doesn't change anything.

There is a metal post of some sort that the lever pivots on. When I squeeze the sides of that together lightly, no more play in the lever. It seems like if I could tighten that, it would solve the issue, but there appears to be no way to do so. There is a little thin washer between each side of the outside of the housing and the lever and pivot post. I think slightly thicker washers would also solve the issue, but would have to remove the lever/pivot to access, which I can't easily see how to do.

Any suggestions?

I circled the pivot bolt in the pic below. It runs straight through and looks identical on the other side.

http://i.imgur.com/MS9Z25i.jpg