PDA

View Full Version : personalizing a layering system for winter

etu
12-31-2015, 11:18 AM
I've been reading with interest about the gabba jersey and other blog enteries on foregoing an outer shell for cooler temperatures. So I substituted an inner baselayer for my usual outer shell yesterday (mid 40's to 50 in mist/drizzle and moderate wind). Felt a little colder at start, but once I got going, it felt good with less build up of perspiration. I could see why this system works. But on my way back, although I wasn't cold, I missed the warm cozy feeling of being slightly overdressed. In fact, I think one of my favorite aspect of riding in rain and foul weather is that secure sense of being self-contained - sheltered from the elements and having my own little furnace going.

eddief
12-31-2015, 12:11 PM
I was out in that crap yesterday. Capilene light next to body, mid-weight jersey, windbreaker 1, and then windbreaker 2, neck gator, skull cap with ear flaps, and 2 layers of light full finger gloves. Was not toasty before it started raining and gave up after about 15 miles. Miserable when I put the bike away wet. Needed my Showers Pass Elite and more glove and one more layer. Waiting for delivery of Craft Windstopper base:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MBL8MAQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I've been reading with interest about the gabba jersey and other blog enteries on foregoing an outer shell for cooler temperatures. So I substituted an inner baselayer for my usual outer shell yesterday (mid 40's to 50 in mist/drizzle and moderate wind). Felt a little colder at start, but once I got going, it felt good with less build up of perspiration. I could see why this system works. But on my way back, although I wasn't cold, I missed the warm cozy feeling of being slightly overdressed. In fact, I think one of my favorite aspect of riding in rain and foul weather is that secure sense of being self-contained - sheltered from the elements and having my own little furnace going.

Peter P.
12-31-2015, 06:06 PM
I've been reading with interest about the gabba jersey ... sheltered from the elements and having my own little furnace going.

The important thing is to find what works for YOU. Nothing wrong with experimentation. You did and discovered you're already fine.

I too have traded a shell for a second under-layer. In some cases I DO find it quite comfortable. But when there's any chance of conditions turning worse during a ride, even merely stopping to change a flat, then I prefer the extra potential protection of a shell.

Gummee
12-31-2015, 06:45 PM
mesh baselayers

VERY key ingredient to staying warm in the winter. AMHIK

Mesh base, smartwool layer, jersey/jacket and I'm good into the low 40s as it gets colder, I add more smartwool layers in the middle

That mesh base layer is key 'cause all the little pockets of warm air that are formed make the best insulation. ala double pane windows.

I'm itching to try some Rapha merino mesh base layers, but don't have the budget for em.

M

Peter P.
12-31-2015, 08:17 PM
mesh baselayers

VERY key ingredient to staying warm in the winter. AMHIK...That mesh base layer is key 'cause all the little pockets of warm air that are formed make the best insulation. ala double pane windows.

M

Very true. Few people understand the concept of a "microclimate" between your skin and your outer layer of clothing. That air gap need only be 1mm to be effective. Too large an air gap and your body can't heat up all the extra space. Plus, it helps if that mesh layer can wick the "microsweat" forming on your skin-keeping dry is another key factor in keeping warm.

etu
12-31-2015, 08:39 PM
i have used merino wool base layers, but not mesh. will definitely have to give it a try.
i've also learned to really appreciate a helmet cover instead of a cap (unless raining). it's really easy to take off during a ride and the rush of cold air on skull with its receding hairline makes it essentially equivalent to taking off a layer on my torso.;)

bicycletricycle
01-01-2016, 05:42 AM

I like to go without a hard shell unless it's in the 20's, I do like to carry a thin windbreaker with me to use when I would like to feel a little warmer.

CPP
01-01-2016, 07:46 AM
mesh baselayers

Mesh base, smartwool layer, jersey/jacket and I'm good into the low 40s as it gets colder, I add more smartwool layers in the middle

That mesh base layer is key 'cause all the little pockets of warm air that are formed make the best insulation. ala double pane windows.

I'm itching to try some Rapha merino mesh base layers, but don't have the budget for em.

M

Does anybody else make wool mesh besides Rapha?

F150
01-01-2016, 05:22 PM
mesh baselayers

M

Not sure who it was that first posted about a Terramar poly/wool base layer they found at TJ Maxx before the holidays, but I picked one up Xmas Eve (while shopping for others) for $20 and was most pleased today. 40 degrees, 65% humidity, light north wind, sunny but my ride takes me thru lots of shade. Base + SS jersey+very lightweight nylon Garneau vest and I was good. Never hot, never cold.

Head protection, whether cap, fleece or helmet cover, essential to keep rest of system happy this time of year. Can always shed layers...hard to add them if left at home.

Gummee
01-01-2016, 05:29 PM

I've seen some on Euro ebay sites, but nothing here in the US

M

FlashUNC
01-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Everyone's different. Some folks run hotter than others. The type of riding can alter what you wear too.

Experimentation is the name of the game. Unfortunately, that means sometimes you guess wrong and suffer through some stuff.

livingminimal
01-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Head protection, whether cap, fleece or helmet cover, essential to keep rest of system happy this time of year. Can always shed layers...hard to add them if left at home.

So true. I just got one of those Richard Sachs winter caps from The Athletic for Christmas. First piece of kit Ive had in a long time that was really freaking jaw droppingly helpful/awesome/epic/whatever

tuscanyswe
01-01-2016, 07:36 PM

These have been doing that for a long time and do it well...
I have more than a few of various thickness. They are great products.

http://www.aclima.no/products/herre

CPP
01-02-2016, 04:21 AM
These have been doing that for a long time and do it well...
I have more than a few of various thickness. They are great products.

http://www.aclima.no/products/herre

Thanks

mmfs
01-02-2016, 02:11 PM
I find that the addition of a formfitting light underlayer can add a good amount of warm and moisture management without bulk.
I've had success with the DeFeet UnDShurt Sleeveless (http://defeet.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=9CBD605DDDEE47518076BB28 AFA8CF3B) or Nike Pro Combat (I think now this - http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/pro-hypercool-fitted-shirt/pid-10862621/pgid-11177637).

Mikej
01-02-2016, 05:02 PM
n oops

Ti Designs
01-03-2016, 05:24 AM
Very true. Few people understand the concept of a "microclimate" between your skin and your outer layer of clothing. That air gap need only be 1mm to be effective.

i've also learned to really appreciate a helmet cover instead of a cap (unless raining).

You're talking about the same thing, it's the basic concept of the thermal layer - the dead air space. It's the same thing as R value in insulation, greater thickness = greater value, but your attic doesn't feed back moisture information like your skin does.

My clothing is based on riding in New England, so my advice on the shell is probably invalid for those in warmer zones. I find most cycling jackets to be poorly designed (I work at a large bike shop that sells 9 clothing lines). The funny thing (or perhaps not so funny) is that I have a half dozen thermal shells in my closet that I love. When teams need a jacket with their team name and sponsors printed, they make a thermal shell. Of the 5 Harvard and one Wheelworks shells I have, they are all made by different clothing makers, and they are all better than anything we sell at the shop. The frustrating thing here is that I own a Wheelworks thermal shell - it's truly awesome, but we have none to sell to customers...

Ed, if you're rides ever dip into the 30's and you don't mind being seen wearing the Harvard name, we're about the same size and I do have a few extras...

etu
01-03-2016, 07:52 AM
Ed, if you're rides ever dip into the 30's and you don't mind being seen wearing the Harvard name, we're about the same size and I do have a few extras...

A very tempting offer, one I would gratefully accept if I hadn't gone to that school in Connecticut...:o