PDA

View Full Version : e-bike tire for non e-bike rim?

madencbm
12-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Thought I was getting Durano Plus for tandem but was shipped Durano E e-bike ready 50. Appear to have thicker tread. 'Moped' and 'crotched type rims only' stamped on side. Any reason not to use on non-ebike rim?

Pelican
12-29-2015, 08:09 PM
You should be fine. Duro ebike tires are made in China or Thailand, so the markings on the side may not make the most sense. "Moped" could be any form of electric two-wheeler in those countries.

We use regular tires on our ebikes because they ride a lot better, but ebike specific tires are catching up every year.

madencbm
12-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Pelican,
Thanks for reply. I'm thinking, from your comment, e-bike tire and 'supple' are mutually exclusive?

Pelican
12-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Generally speaking, yes. They're built to handle higher sustained speeds and the higher loads of ebike use. Most ebikes are 60+ pounds. Mine is 27lbs, so I was using regular road tires even. I've since switched to a Specialized ebike tire, and its is noticeably slower and harder to spin up to cruising speed.

I'm the founder of Karmic Bikes (http://www.karmicbikes.com/), and we've tested dozens of tires. The upside is you should see a lot more durability, and that might be a good thing on a tandem.