PDA

View Full Version : Any brooks cambium owners out there?

Hilltopperny
12-29-2015, 04:33 PM
I ordered a brooks c17 today to try out. Any other users of these saddles? Just wondering what your thoughts are. I have brooks leather saddles on all of my keepers but wanted to try something new.

merckx
12-29-2015, 04:35 PM
They are very Regal like. Just a bit wider and better vibration damping. Enjoy it.

Curve_in
12-29-2015, 04:38 PM
I have a C15. It feels great, but was super squeaky at first.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

miguel
12-29-2015, 05:12 PM
I had a c17 and now have a c15. I also ride ariones. Good saddles, the cambiums.

jr59
12-29-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't care for it. Neither the carved or standard cambium. I have tried and tried but it's a no go for my rear end.

dave thompson
12-29-2015, 05:24 PM
I run mostly Brooks Professional on my bikes. I tried a C-17 but just couldn't make friends with it.

Mzilliox
12-29-2015, 05:27 PM
I think they are pretty ok, not as nice as my standard, also the B17, but more narrow and aggressive if you are after that. light too. I liked it, just not as well. Maybe a good solution for wet rides too?

I may try one with the cutaway on the Atlanta... that bike is badass by the way, got it out for some hill climbing today, I'm in love!

katkeeper36
12-29-2015, 05:38 PM
I too am a Brooks loyalist. Since the mid - 80's I've used a Brooks Team Pro (still have it), early 2000's I bought a Swift Ti ....and last fall I bought a C15 Cambium.

It was really squeaky for awhile...but whatever that was it faded away.

Since then, I've retired my other two Brooks and got another C15 .....personally I love it, especially on long rides (as compared to my others saddles).

Looking foward to trying a C13 on my next build.

providence
12-29-2015, 05:49 PM
I have two, one for my MTB another for my all-arounder.

Instantly more comfortable than any other Brooks I've been on, given previous break in times for me. Zero maintenance or need to worry about it in whatever conditions. I'm much more comfortable on that saddle than any other I've been on regardless of if I'm wearing bibs to casual clothes.

Mileage varies for everyone obviously but it'll be my go to saddle for quite some time. Especially on everything that's not a Sunday rider. Only quibble with it is the material tends to make it harder for minor adjustments on the saddle when wearing kit as it seems harder to slide into a different position IMO. Not a deal breaker in my case.

R3awak3n
12-29-2015, 06:16 PM
I started to like the C17 but fell out of love with it. Nice looking saddle though but the top material kind of sucks, it starts to wear out very fast which is a shame.

Out of the box its more comfortable then a leather saddle but it does not mold to your butt so within time I think a leather saddle will be much more comfortable (at least to me). My berthoud was comfortable out of the box too but leather brooks are apparently not as much (I never had a new brooks so I wouldnt know)

fa63
12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
I really like my C17. Was comfy out of the box and still comfy today.

rpm
12-29-2015, 06:36 PM
I have a a C17 on my gravel bike and love it. I also put one on my road bike and didn't like it as well. I concluded that it was better for the more upright position of the gravel bike. It was too bad for the road bike because I have the special denim version and it looked killer on my blue road bike. Thinking about putting the saddle in the classifieds.

PeregrineA1
12-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Two C-17's and 8 B-17's at our house. We both love them all. Shortly I will be replacing a** -hatchet that came on my Trek Ex-9 with a C-17-my first forey into the dirt with Brooks.

Hilltopperny
12-29-2015, 07:22 PM
I think they are pretty ok, not as nice as my standard, also the B17, but more narrow and aggressive if you are after that. light too. I liked it, just not as well. Maybe a good solution for wet rides too?

I may try one with the cutaway on the Atlanta... that bike is badass by the way, got it out for some hill climbing today, I'm in love!
I truly loved that bike as well. It was my introduction to serotta. Glad you are enjoying it. I have had the rapid tour out for a few rides as well and am enjoying it's versatility.

Hilltopperny
12-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It is much appreciated. I think I am going to try it out of my fatbike or adventure bike for wet and damp rides. We finally got snow last night and I went out on the fatty for the first time in the winter weather. I will be putting up the majority of my road bikes considering the amount of salt and such that is now on the roads. Luckily the canal way trail isn't far from my house and I can ride that.

msl819
12-29-2015, 07:38 PM
They are very Regal like. Just a bit wider and better vibration damping. Enjoy it.

The Regal is my go to. Which of the Cambiums are closest in size to the original Regal?

merckx
12-29-2015, 07:45 PM
The Regal is my go to. Which of the Cambiums are closest in size to the original Regal?

I have a C17, and is 160mm across, so ten more than the Regal. I would like to try a C15 but am apprehensive it may be a bit too narrow. I think it measures 140mm. The sweet spot for me may be 150mm as per Regal.

merckx
12-29-2015, 07:49 PM
I would also enjoy a report about the damping characteristics of the C15. I wonder if it is as good as the C17? My first impression of the C17 was about how well it muted road chatter. It was tantamount to going from 23c tires to underinflated 32c tires. I was smitten.

Wakatel_Luum
12-29-2015, 10:41 PM

I have to disagree...

The Regal has a better shape and the BROOKS is A LOT harder...(Regal on all my road bikes and Cambium on my Mtb)

JLP
12-29-2015, 10:49 PM
So if I'm very comfortable on either a B17 or a Fizik Aliante, does anyone know if a C17 is likely to work well?

Wakatel_Luum
12-29-2015, 10:51 PM
I went from a B17 to the Cambium...stick with the B17 is my advice.

I changed as the B17 has too short rails so couldn't get a good position...

Stephen2014
12-30-2015, 09:26 AM
http://velobase.com/CompImages/Saddles/0A8B9FDE-9368-4129-B1A3-0C36275D2B99.jpeg

I used to have an A. Wolber saddle, rubber that is coated with I think resin impregnated cloth. Good for what it was but glad I sold it.

JMacII
12-30-2015, 09:45 AM
I have a C17, and is 160mm across, so ten more than the Regal. I would like to try a C15 but am apprehensive it may be a bit too narrow. I think it measures 140mm. The sweet spot for me may be 150mm as per Regal.

Thank you for this. I'm a Regal guy, but have lately been thinking about a cambium.

d_douglas
12-30-2015, 11:33 AM
I bought a used Cambium locally and it is very comfortable. I live in a wet climate, so the cotton cover is not the best, in my opinion. I am commuting on it right now and it doesn't make alot of sense when it is pouring rain ...

steamer
12-30-2015, 12:11 PM
The Cambiums look like they are more rounded off in profile than the B-17 and similar leather saddles which are flatter and more shelf-like. For those who have both in their garage, am I correct in what I think I am seeing in pictures?

For me, a rounded profile prevents my sit bones from taking all of the load and pushes the center of the saddle up where I don't appreciate it.

I find standard B-17's to work ok for me, but are a little too wide and I like slotted saddles. I slotted and laced my standard B-17 and now its pretty good, but not perfect. I know Brooks makes a factory slotted and laced version of the B-17 in a 150-155mm width that I probably would like but I haven't tried one of those yet.

kevinvc
12-30-2015, 12:43 PM
I have a C 17 and really like it a lot. As others have said, it is comfortable in regular clothes and I like not having to worry about it getting wet. I'm interested in trying a C15 for my faster bike. I have no interest in something as narrow as the C13.

JMacII
03-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Thank you for this. I'm a Regal guy, but have lately been thinking about a cambium.

So I just bought a moots seatpost which has hardware on the side and not compatible with the original Regal. So I picked up a new/used Regale which has the side skirts cutaway. Alas, I think they cut too much. So...who has a suggestion for a Regal like saddle that will work with a Moots post? Will the c17 accept the side hardware?

Cicli
03-27-2016, 02:09 PM
So I just bought a moots seatpost which has hardware on the side and not compatible with the original Regal. So I picked up a new/used Regale which has the side skirts cutaway. Alas, I think they cut too much. So...who has a suggestion for a Regal like saddle that will work with a Moots post? Will the c17 accept the side hardware?

The C17 has 7mm round rails. It will work on most all seatposts.

JMacII
03-27-2016, 03:15 PM
The C17 has 7mm round rails. It will work on most all seatposts.

Yeah, my concern was about the side mount hardware on the Moots post, not the rails. From what I've seen online it looks like there's maybe just enough room under the skirts of the c17. Any experience here?

bicycletricycle
03-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Was a b17 or regal person, now all c17.

Sometimes with the groove, sometimes without the groove.

Really like these saddles.

Rapid Tourist
03-29-2016, 07:46 PM
I really hope you like it!! I rode a C17 as my go to saddle for a year on my road bike. Really liked it. For me it is like a mostly-broken in leather Brooks, that never gets any "softer" because it does not break in. So, in my opinion, if you like a firm-ish brooks, you will like it. I would still be riding the C17 today except that I slowly figured out it was too wide for me.

Enjoy and post a review after you ride it.

merckx
03-29-2016, 08:16 PM
RT, did you move to a C15, or punt?

Geeheeb
03-29-2016, 08:59 PM
my cambium took well to rit dye. went from natural to dark green.

notoriousdjw
03-30-2016, 12:10 AM
I was a B17 rider but have switched to the C17 for anything except multi-day tours. I did a 4 day DC-PGH trip on the C17 and it wasn't quite at the same comfort level as the B17. For all other riding I love the C17. I tried the C15 on my race bike but it was a definite no-go.

JMacII
03-30-2016, 07:24 AM
My c17 is inbound. Will post my impressions. I'm 6'4" and tried riding narrow saddles before I found the regal. Hoping the C17 is the next step in the right direction.

redir
03-30-2016, 07:35 AM
Seems to me that talking about anything other then a leather saddle that actually breaks into your own anatomy is just like any old saddle thread. You are either going to like it or not and anyone elses opinion is moot. It's always worth a try for yourself though. When you find a plastic saddle that you really like then get ten of them. ;)

Rapid Tourist
03-30-2016, 08:21 AM
RT, did you move to a C15, or punt?

Hey Merckx, No I didn't drop the cash on another Cambium for now. the next saddle I tried was a cheaper, much lighter, selle italia that is working great, for now.

I have ridden many different brooks models including the cambium over the years. Still looking for the holy grail of saddles. As much as I like the selle italia, it is a modern saddle and for me that means that it is great now, but will feel like crap in a year or so. :butt: :crap:

Would love to find a "permanent" saddle that I love--but that has eluded me so far. I find the brooks saddles for the most part are too wide close to the nose, and that gives me a severe chafing problem...

too much detail for your question, I'm sure, but I like to read other people's impressions of saddles and hope that my own might help someone.

JMacII
03-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Someone should make custom saddles.