PDA

View Full Version : Explain to me the mystique of Lightweight (brand) wheels

FastforaSlowGuy
12-29-2015, 01:07 PM
I get it, they don't weigh much (1100g for a 48mm deep wheel). But there are other options out there that will get you the same weight without monkeying around with carbon spokes and an $8K price tag (Enve 45 tubular laced to Tune hubs, Ax Lightness, etc.). And from what I've read, the aerodynamics of Lightweight are hanging onto 90s-era designs. Is it the finishing quality? Ride quality? What is it that makes people go oogly-boogly for these things? Not a rant, just asking....

LegendRider
12-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I get it, they don't weigh much (1100g for a 48mm deep wheel). But there are other options out there that will get you the same weight without monkeying around with carbon spokes and an $8K price tag (Enve 45 tubular laced to Tune hubs, Ax Lightness, etc.). And from what I've read, the aerodynamics of Lightweight are hanging onto 90s-era designs. Is it the finishing quality? Ride quality? What is it that makes people go oogly-boogly for these things? Not a rant, just asking....

As you noted, the gap between Lightweight wheels and its competitors has narrowed considerably. I think the one area where they're still are far superior is in stiffness for whatever that's worth... Never owned a set - just my impression.

thegunner
12-29-2015, 01:11 PM
to be fair, i the used market for lightweights has them available for around $3000 and under, so you're not really paying any more for those than you would enves or ax lightness or tunes

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2015, 01:14 PM
They were the 'it' wheels of the late 90s, with all the mystique that entailed. They were the first truly unobtanium wheels that you could actually obtain.

I have a pair. They are light and very stiff. That said, I don't ride them that often and would sell them off if anyone was interested (Shim 11 compatible).

FastforaSlowGuy
12-29-2015, 01:14 PM
to be fair, i the used market for lightweights has them available for around $3000 and under, so you're not really paying any more for those than you would for brand-spankin' new enves or ax lightness or tunes

Fixed it for you :banana:

DRietz
12-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Is it the finishing quality? Ride quality? What is it that makes people go oogly-boogly for these things? Not a rant, just asking....

At the risk of sounding old, grumpy, and jaded...how is this a serious question?

The "mystique" is about being able to one up your buddies and have "the best of the best."

Having worked in the industry so long, I can tell you quite plainly that this is what marketing in cycling (and everywhere else) is all about.

I recently rode past a gent on a Venge Vias, carbon wheels, etc. Full stack of spacers under the upright-pointed stem. Does he "need" the "performance" of that equipment? No, but he could buy it, and he thought it was cool, so he did.

If you like 'em, buy 'em. Ultimately, there's no reason to, but, ultimately, if you can, there's also no reason not to.

As in, I hardly think any of us would be able to tell a tangible difference between a set of Enve wheels and a set of Lightweights in terms of any actual ride or performance difference, besides an inflated placebo effect. But if you can afford the placebo, why not?

Lionel
12-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Sure the gap as narrowed as you can buy the best wheelset on earth (Campy Bora ultra 2) for less than LW. But LW still are pretty special and are the fastest accelerating wheel, they feel very light and are super stiff but not uncomfortable. Is it worth it ? High;y subjective. It won't make you that much faster or not faster at all than cheaper wheels but none will "feel" the same. YMMV.

Braking is average and aero is average too.

Did I mention that they look awesome ?

livingminimal
12-29-2015, 01:39 PM
My favorite part about Lightweight, is that up until their American Service Center is built, sending one back for repair right now is still going to take you several months to have returned.

Better have some of those crappy, heavy, non-aero, HED Belgiums with CKs or DT hubs lying around...otherwise you risk getting dropped on the final climb of your grou...err, race. Race.

Lightweights are effing stupid.

(how much do you want for yours, BdaGhisallo? they would LOOK great on my pegoretti)

earlfoss
12-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Because Frank used them!

http://s13.postimg.org/o5w4drcrb/Vandenbroucke_70_M.jpg

I think they're great wheels. I was fortunate enough to ride a pair for about a month a few years ago and really liked how they handled.

From what I understand, even if their repair turnaround is slow, they stand behind their product 100% and they are designed and built to last. There are a lot of owners who use theirs for everyday riding. There are other options out there but yeah, these are excellent wheels.

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Because Frank used them!

http://s13.postimg.org/o5w4drcrb/Vandenbroucke_70_M.jpg

I think they're great wheels. I was fortunate enough to ride a pair for about a month a few years ago and really liked how they handled.

From what I understand, even if their repair turnaround is slow, they stand behind their product 100% and they are designed and built to last. There are a lot of owners who use theirs for everyday riding. There are other options out there but yeah, these are excellent wheels.

Those are ADA wheels, built by Cees Beers in the Netherlands. Cees used round kevlar stranded spokes - almost looked like stiffened tube-like shoelaces if you can picture it - and LW always used flat spokes.

Neil
12-29-2015, 02:02 PM
The deep versions leave the Neil Desire-O-meter needle at "totally flaccid", however the shallow ones that Bjorn had (has?) look nice, and in their case the cutting-edge-for-the-90's aero downside doesn't really matter that much.

I do agree that there's a certain "what's the most expensive I can get, make it two pairs" cachet with them, as has been pointed out they don't distinguish themselves by any other metric, so that's really got to be the biggest one I think.

rnhood
12-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Those are ADA wheels, built by Cees Beers in the Netherlands. Cees used round kevlar stranded spokes - almost looked like stiffened tube-like shoelaces if you can picture it - and LW always used flat spokes.

Whatever happened to Cees and his ADA wheels? I know he was controversial to deal with but, he was on the leading edge of technology in the early days. Seems like he just disappeared from the scene, as did his wheels.

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Whatever happened to Cees and his ADA wheels? I know he was controversial to deal with but, he was on the leading edge of technology in the early days. Seems like he just disappeared from the scene, as did his wheels.

I had a pair of his wheels back in the mid 90s and he was a right royal PITA to deal with! LW made the quality wheel that he tried to make. He was always said to be so brilliant but I guess he was too brilliant to make many of his ideas workable in an every day sense.

redir
12-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Cipo liked them IIRC.

thirdgenbird
12-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Cipo liked them IIRC.

Cipo liked them and apparently lent a pair out to Pantini. Ullrich and Armstrong could also be seen on them. These riders supposedly paid full price and waited in line just like everyone else. quite a statement considering these guys has sponsorships that supplied nice wheels.

denapista
12-29-2015, 03:18 PM
In a cycling world where we cherish everything that falls from the Pro Peloton, Lightweight wheels have always been regarded as the best wheels from the Pro ranks. When professionals are paying out of their pockets for a part, the consumer will think highly of that part if someone professional is buying it themselves..... People buy Racing kits for their Porsche 964's and never touch the track, just knowing it's the best stuff out there. Same for your everyday cyclists who can afford the best. Lightweight wheels have been caught in terms of technology, but people still rave about how the wheels feel alive and accelerate like nothing else. To be honest, I like non wide carbon tubular wheels.. In my own mind, I feel I'm getting more tire than wide carbon rim. Wide carbon tubulars just feel so boxy, versus 20-21mm wide carbon tubular rims, where the tire actually exceeds the carbon. I just feel like I'm getting more tire feedback. I just don't like the feel or look of a carbon rim being wider than the tire itself. Wide rims are good for clinchers, but not so much for tubular wheels in my riding experiences. So when you limit rim width to 20-21mm, the Lightweight wheels are still ahead of the game. When you mix in stupid wide rims, then it's apples to oranges. If Lightweight is the apple, it's the organic grown juicy red apple at whole foods for $14.

JeffS
12-29-2015, 03:32 PM
At the risk of sounding old, grumpy, and jaded...how is this a serious question?

I'm with you. This is just like every other of these threads where someone sarcastically asks to get clued in about something they don't have enough interest in to research themselves.

Christ, he invokes value by citing Tune and Enve without even a hint of irony.

Ralph
12-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Wheel weights....I like to weigh them myself. Don't trust many advertised weights.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-29-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm with you. This is just like every other of these threads where someone sarcastically asks to get clued in about something they don't have enough interest in to research themselves.

Yeah, um, Mr. Grumpy-Pants, I think my question - which was not sarcastic - evidenced a fair bit of research. I cited weight, aerodynamics and comparable wheelsets. I'm aware that LW was the cat's pajamas in the 90s, and that pros paid out of pocket for the carbon goodness (some still do, for their disc wheels on lumpy TT courses). I also noted (accurately, I believe) that while LW is no longer a technological leader, and has not been for years, it continues to carry a halo that other brands do not. I think that's interesting for a cycling market that thinks 2-year old tech is "old school."

Either way, I'm very glad you took time out of your day to provide a thoughtful reply to the thread. It added value to the Paceline community the same way that posting your latest sandwich order ("Just ordered a Reuben, LOL") to Facebook is interesting to your digital friends.

tv_vt
12-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Lighten the F up, will ya? Or just go away. Really do not need your kind of comments on here.

Thank you.

Lionel
12-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Like often on these topics, people who never rode LW wheels will have strong opinion typically against them.

etu
12-29-2015, 04:18 PM
have to confess my favorite threads are about ride quality which definitely includes wheels
curious about LWs

Bob Ross
12-29-2015, 04:35 PM
A few years ago Signature Cycles had an entire page on their website dedicated to Paul Levine's florid prose describing the sensation of riding on Lightweight wheels. And while I knew it was just [sic] marketing, Paul did such a wonderful job in making that sensation both palpable and desireable that I could feel myself reaching for my wallet every time I read it. 'Twas really a thing of beauty. I hope somebody archived it somewhere.

fuzzalow
12-29-2015, 04:38 PM
I think the topic of Lightweight wheels is a valid topic to broach but it is asked in the wrong way. Asked in the wrong way as it clearly rubbed some people the wrong way which I understand and agree with.

You wanna talk about wheels, or anything else for that matter, great - then let's talk about wheels. But it is lousy conversation for the OP to put himself in an implied position of judgment to ask the forum to explain to him whatever he asked about and now expects an answer to. Nobody's gotta explain nuthin' to you pal. To come at people this way is not smooth.

Yeah, I know this might only be a poor choice of words and no harm was meant by it. But suave it is not, however it came off. Like I said, I agree with some of the folks that roughed up the OP about how this topic was brought up but I don't agree that being harsh, even rude, to him was necessary. But in fairness, there are two sides and this is why I just wrote this.

My 2 cents: Lightweights for their time was a game changer. A full monolithic carbon fiber structured wheel. Nobody else had the guts to autoclave an entire wheel. Other makers have caught up, as has the technology environment changed. If you like 'em, ride 'em. For me, there is no piece of technology that'll make me faster because I don't put in the hours so I don't really care what Lightweights might do for me. But if I liked 'em I buy 'em and ride 'em 'cos I don't care what anybody else thinks.

The gear part about cycling is fun too.

denapista
12-29-2015, 04:49 PM
I hate when people say "Use the search function". That defeats the purpose of a forum... If I wanted to come on here and read old threads then I should just stick to Peloton youtube parts reviews.. Just like in real life, conversations between friends can contain old topics and new. Forums should be engaging and alive, not people logging on using the search function..

Nothing wrong with bringing up the yearly Lightweight topic. People will always wonder about them, because for most we'll never ride them due to pricing and getting frowned upon by other cyclists..

I know if I come across a set for the right price and my paypal balance is looking decent, I'll snag a pair just to try them out for myself... Not sure why we in the US frown upon buying and having nice things... I feel like Lightweight wheels get frowned upon purely from a price standpoint. Something for the wealthy types like Gucci / Goyard / Louis Vuitton. There are guys like me who still strongly believe in 21mm wide carbon rims. Lightweight is still the King in that arena. Mavic CCU's are a close second but weigh a couple 100 grams more. I ride Enve 1.45 and while they're great rims, they're suspect to early Enve flaws (Braking surface issues). Same flaws that some Lightweight wheels have experienced.

rnhood
12-29-2015, 04:57 PM
I hate when people say "Use the search function". That defeats the purpose of a forum... If I wanted to come on here and read old threads then I should just stick to Peloton youtube parts reviews.. Just like in real life, conversations between friends can contain old topics and new. Forums should be engaging and alive, not people logging on using the search function..

Nothing wrong with bringing up the yearly Lightweight topic. People will always wonder about them, because for most we'll never ride them due to pricing and getting frowned upon by other cyclists..

I know if I come across a set for the right price and my paypal balance is looking decent, I'll snag a pair just to try them out for myself... Not sure why we in the US frown upon buying and having nice things... I feel like Lightweight wheels get frowned upon purely from a price standpoint. Something for the wealthy types like Gucci / Goyard / Louis Vuitton. There are guys like me who still strongly believe in 21mm wide carbon rims. Lightweight is still the King in that arena. Mavic CCU's are a close second but weigh a couple 100 grams more. I ride Enve 1.45 and while they're great rims, they're suspect to early Enve flaws (Braking surface issues). Same flaws that some Lightweight wheels have experienced.

Pretty well said and not much more need be added. I'm in your camp on the 21mm wheels. And I don't remember any pros asking for wider wheels, although I guess there may be some....somewhere.

fuzzalow
12-29-2015, 05:04 PM
Not sure why we in the US frown upon buying and having nice things... I feel like Lightweight wheels get frowned upon purely from a price standpoint.

This is what I interprete as the crux of the friction in how an inquiry is made. It is asked in the way it is asked not find out about something as a genuine inquiry, but as a way of putting people on the defensive. And the provocateur gets to sit in judgement over how well the answers have satisfied his inquisitiveness and demands.

A well worn tactic on web discussions.

I am happy to help people that really want to know. I don't waste my time talkin' beneath myself to somebody who just wants to stir the pot. Water seeks its own level.

saab2000
12-29-2015, 05:51 PM
The negative responses to the OP are mind blowing. He asked a question and I saw no malice in that question. To say we all need to use the search function for everything would be the end of this forum. And all others. And to post in a thread that you won't respond to the thread is pretty f****** ironic. Water seeking its own level. Indeed.

I wish I had some Lightweights.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Calm down folks. It's just bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bicycletricycle
12-29-2015, 06:06 PM
They look awesome on that richard Sachs in the gallery, can't remember who's it is.

saab2000
12-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Exactly.

tuscanyswe
12-29-2015, 06:09 PM
They look awesome on that richard Sachs in the gallery, can't remember who's it is.

Thats Billīs or happycampyers and i agree, thats a very good looking bike with those wheels!

denapista
12-29-2015, 06:11 PM
On my CX team forum, I posted a bike and it adorned a set of Lightweight wheels. The bike got ripped purely because of the wheels.

Lightweight wheels were Speedvagen before Vanilla came around. All people complain about is the pricing... "Enve wheels are cheaper, custom built!" You can make a Mitsubishi Evo faster than a Porsche GT3 too, but it aint a GT3!

beeatnik
12-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Lightweights, they're silly but awesome. In the same way that a giant carbon fiber spoiler on a 1997 Civic Coupe is both silly and awesome.

I think I'm on the same page as Fuzz on the judgment thing.

That said when it comes to physical endeavors where genetics and fitness are crucial, most enthusiasts have a value-to-performance calculus. And for many, value can be very low as long as performance is high (marginal or diminishing returns aside).

So, to answer the OP's question about a subjective quality (mystique), here's a subjective analysis:

1. Nice things are nice. No other wheels ever caught my attention when I was a road cycling newb as Lightweights. If 21-year-old Sophia Loren and the current girl on the Victoria's Secret catalog both walked in a room, which one would take your breath away.

2. They're extra carbony. Ya, I just made that up. Essentially, they're the only carbon wheels I've ridden which make a CF bike feel more carbony. You know that feeling you got the first time you rode a great CF frame (C40, Parlee, etc). Imagine your wheels transmitting that sensation.

3. They're made by Germans who wear lab coats. I love McDonalds coffee. I pay 69 cents for the "senior" size. There's a coffee spot in Echo Park where a guy who might as well be a Master Sommelier is the barista. This guy makes the best $5 pour over I've ever had (7x differential over that McDonnas coffee). He's my Coffee German In a Lab Coat.

4. They "feel" fast, "spin up" fast, and sound fast. It's the feeling of adding a little engine to your bika. This feeling lasts about 5 seconds on every ride.

5. Compared to most (if not all) Weight Weenie components, they're durable and/or bombproof.

6. They're not that expensive. (Haha). If you're a guy who has to have $2000 AX Lightness brakes why not spend 3x as much for wheels. The guy with Super Record brakes who rocks Bora Ultras spent 10x as much for his wheels, relative to those brakes. Hay, as I mentioned, it's a value-performance calculus.

7. They look unique (boutique). To my eye, Zipps, Reynolds and, even, ENVEs are starting to look generic. In the high performance CF road world, generic is marketing death. Open mould may as well be a 4 letter word.

8. They own the super-high-end-race-wheel retail space. There's no Balenciaga to Lightweight's Hermes. Reynolds RZRs may as well be priced at $900 a set.

gasman
12-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Beeatnik I like your review.

laupsi
12-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Simply put, they're the best wheels out there for going downhill. Especially in a corner!

thirdgenbird
12-29-2015, 08:01 PM
That's it, I need a pegoretti built pinarello with lightweights and campy 10 with pointy hoods.

I've already got spinachi extensions and brikos.

Tony
12-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Lightweights, they're silly but awesome. In the same way that a giant carbon fiber spoiler on a 1997 Civic Coupe is both silly and awesome.

I think I'm on the same page as Fuzz on judgment thing.

That said when it comes to physical endeavors where genetics and fitness are crucial, most enthusiasts have a value-to-performance calculus. And for many, value can be very low as long as performance is high (marginal or diminishing returns aside).

So, to answer the OP's question about a subjective quality (mystique), here's a subjective analysis:

1. Nice things are nice. No other wheels ever caught my attention when I was a road cycling newb as Lightweights. If 21-year-old Sophia Loren and the current girl on the Victoria's Secret catalog both walked in a room, which one would take your breath away.

2. They're extra carbony. Ya, I just made that up. Essentially, they're the only carbon wheels I've ridden which make a CF bike feel more carbony. You know that feeling you got the first time you rode a great CF frame (C40, Parlee, etc). Imagine your wheels transmitting that sensation.

3. They're made by Germans who wear lab coats. I love McDonalds coffee. I pay 69 cents for the "senior" size. There's a coffee spot in Echo Park where a guy who might as well be a Master Sommelier is the barista. This guy makes the best $5 pour over I've ever had (7x differential over that McDonnas coffee). He's my Coffee German In a Lab Coat.

4. They "feel" fast, "spin up" fast, and sound fast. It's the feeling of adding a little engine to your bika. This feeling lasts about 5 seconds on every ride.

5. Compared to most (if not all) Weight Weenie components, they're durable and/or bombproof.

6. They're not that expensive. (Haha). If you're a guy who has to have $2000 AX Lightness brakes why not spend 3x as much for wheels. The guy with Super Record brakes who rocks Bora Ultras spent 10x as much for his wheels, relative to those brakes. Hay, as I mentioned, it's a value-performance calculus.

7. They look unique (boutique). To my eye, Zipps, Reynolds and, even, ENVEs are starting to look generic. In the high performance CF road world, generic is marketing death. Open mould may as well be a 4 letter word.

8. They own the super-high-end-race-wheel retail space. There's no Balenciaga to Lightweight's Hermes. Reynolds RZRs may as well be priced at $900 a set.

Never been on Lightweights, but feel like I have now : ) They seem like awesome wheels.

joosttx
12-29-2015, 08:39 PM

No it's not... We are talking about 6k wheels.... :)

Tim Porter
12-29-2015, 08:44 PM
beeatnik put it really well, imo.

For myself, I'm just an old fart who's a little bit heavier than in the days when I was fast, but I've decided at my advanced age of 63 that curiosity is a plenty sufficient reason for trying gear that some might think would be over my head, performance-wise. I have both the tubular and clincher versions just because I'm curious and still engaged in what makes a bike and rider fast. Also, I can buy stuff like this with the change off the top of my dresser at this point in my life, so there's that. :hello:

They ride like a dream, brake fine, accelerate great and are totally bombproof. I broke an early generation one on a really, really bad pothole and I had a new wheel in 2 days 'cause I bought the insurance package that Carbon Sports makes available. [For the record, I splintered the brake track and caused a noticeable imbalance but rode the wheel home 20 miles with no trouble.]

I know a few guys in the NYC area who ride theirs at least 10k miles/year, year after year. They're late starters in cycling and just asked what was the "best", so they don't really have a clue--they just ride those suckers into the ground all over the country/world. You need to try them if you can and satisfy your own curiosity, imho. See Jaegher, below. Tim

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/i-jjDc7fK-X3_zpsbtoltijr.jpg

tv_vt
12-29-2015, 09:03 PM
...I can buy stuff like this with the change off the top of my dresser at this point in my life,...

A life well lived there, Tim!

And forget the Jaegher with the LWs, I'll take that Serotta any day!

happycampyer
12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
...I can buy stuff like this with the change off the top of my dresser at this point in my life,...

A life well lived there, Tim!

And forget the Jaegher with the LWs, I'll take that Serotta any day!Slumming it there with Hyperons.

Tim Porter
12-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Might agree with you on the Legend!

makoti
12-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Also, I can buy stuff like this with the change off the top of my dresser at this point in my life, so there's that. :hello:

You can keep the wheels. I just want your dresser.

Macadamia
12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
it's the irony of buying 8k wheels with logos made with free fonts

http://cycling.lohudblogs.com/files/2008/08/rw81608lightweight004s.jpg

I think I used that font in 4th grade for a book report and the teacher told me it looked tacky and to go back to times new roman.

beeatnik
12-29-2015, 09:48 PM
Tim Porter is a gent. I like his no apologies style.

etu
12-29-2015, 10:39 PM
Phenomenal discussion.
Feeling a lot less self-conscious about the zipp 404's that I just bought.
Thank you all!

thirdgenbird
12-29-2015, 10:44 PM

I think I used that font in 4th grade for a book report and the teacher told me it looked tacky and to go back to times new roman.

That beats having a logo that looks like a cover up tattoo on a guy with a fake tan and tapout shirt. (Enve)

livingminimal
12-29-2015, 11:29 PM
That beats having a logo that looks like a cover up tattoo on a guy with a fake tan and tapout shirt. (Enve)

I'd say that was more EDGE than ENVE, but yeah.

laupsi
12-30-2015, 05:34 AM
See Jaegher, below. Tim

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/i-jjDc7fK-X3_zpsbtoltijr.jpg

Mr Jaegher is one that I had not yet seen. What a beauty!

Cheers TimTim and Happy New Year :beer: and while we're at it, let's raise a toast to our friend, the late Scott Hodder!!!

oldpotatoe
12-30-2015, 06:17 AM

The "mystique" is about being able to one up your buddies and have "the best of the best."

Having worked in the industry so long, I can tell you quite plainly that this is what marketing in cycling (and everywhere else) is all about.

I recently rode past a gent on a Venge Vias, carbon wheels, etc. Full stack of spacers under the upright-pointed stem. Does he "need" the "performance" of that equipment? No, but he could buy it, and he thought it was cool, so he did.

If you like 'em, buy 'em. Ultimately, there's no reason to, but, ultimately, if you can, there's also no reason not to.

As in, I hardly think any of us would be able to tell a tangible difference between a set of Enve wheels and a set of Lightweights in terms of any actual ride or performance difference, besides an inflated placebo effect. But if you can afford the placebo, why not?

AND, a big reason is to be able to enjoy the superior qualities of tubular tires..:)

oldpotatoe
12-30-2015, 06:25 AM

POTDLucida Console[/I]"]

weisan
12-30-2015, 06:38 AM
As the pre-eminent cycling forum of our generation, Cees pal (screen name ada@prorider.or) used to frequent this part of town until he was chased out by more or less the same emotional response he got from this thread. I always thought that was a shame. It lowered the level of our conversations.

If I managed to snoop up on tim pal's dresser, you betcha, one of the first things I will do is go buy the most "ridiculous" pair of wheels for myself, and MORE!
Until then, I am quite happy with riding those pacenti and HED wheels that I just built. :D

numbskull
12-30-2015, 06:42 AM
you can keep the wheels. I just want your dresser.

POY candidate.

Tim Porter
12-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Happy New Year, y'all. Thanks for taking my dresser comment in the lighthearted way I intended it. Very funny responses! If you're in the NY burbs or NYC and you ride Campy 11 I can stick a set of LWs on your bike and you can try them. Tim

Climb01742
12-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Happy New Year, y'all. Thanks for taking my dresser comment in the lighthearted way I intended it.

Thank_you. Both the content and tone of your post struck that rare balance of two reactions: 'hey, I envy you' and 'hey, I like you'. Thanks for adding to this discussion in a spirit that embodies the best of our little forum. Enjoy your LWs for a long time.;)

sandyrs
12-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Happy New Year, y'all. Thanks for taking my dresser comment in the lighthearted way I intended it. Very funny responses! If you're in the NY burbs or NYC and you ride Campy 11 I can stick a set of LWs on your bike and you can try them. Tim

Man, next time I'm at my folks' in Scarsdale I really need to write that post about getting a forum ride together that I always forget to write until I'm already there.

makoti
12-30-2015, 08:04 AM

I would get up there and take you up on that, but I have a very strong rule: Never try what you can't afford. I'd be afraid they are really THAT good. :)

mg2ride
12-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Like often on these topics, people who never rode LW wheels will have strong opinion typically against them.

Similar to people who just dropped major coin on them have strong opinions for them.

You likely can't get an unbiased response from either.

shovelhd
12-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Cheers TimTim and Happy New Year :beer: and while we're at it, let's raise a toast to our friend, the late Scott Hodder!!!

I'll join you in that toast.

We can get back to the wealth loathing now. Carry on. :)

Lionel
12-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Similar to people who just dropped major coin on them have strong opinions for them.

You likely can't get an unbiased response from either.

I have a pair of G3, they are great wheels but not my favorite wheels even though they are the most expensive at MSRP.

fuzzalow
12-30-2015, 08:24 AM

Nice wheels there.

Fuhgeddabout wanting your dresser instead of those wheels. Just don't tell me you rolled those two bikes outta your house and took that picture in your backyard! Having a backyard like that means your property came with a name and not an address.

Tim Porter
12-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Ha, I'll tell you a story about our house having a name sometime but no, that pic was taken by none other than HappyCampyer of his Serotta Legend and the Jaegher at SUNY Purchase, now Purchase College, doncha know. HNY, Tim

Russian bear
12-30-2015, 09:31 AM
I think it's funny people on this forum fetishize 30 year old steel technology with some pretty paint and a 5k price tag. But Lightweights, THAT'S CRAZY.

soulspinner
12-30-2015, 09:35 AM

dont tempt me........my kid goes to Purchase.....

fuzzalow
12-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Ha, I'll tell you a story about our house having a name sometime

Kykuit? (just wait until the wealth loathers getta loadda this one! :eek:)

HaHa, where I live has a name too... it's a floor number and a letter! Brings to mind the running gag in the film "American Psycho" where the Christian Bale character name-drops apartment buildings as he is moving up the strata of Manhattan addresses.

HNY to you too.

R3awak3n
12-30-2015, 10:39 AM
I think it's funny people on this forum fetishize 30 year old steel technology with some pretty paint and a 5k price tag. But Lightweights, THAT'S CRAZY.

haha thats paceline. If you want the opposite, its weight weenies (even though there was a thread there and plenty of people were talking crap on lw wheels)

velomonkey
12-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Perhaps someday we can all meet in person and then it will be

"YOU GET A PAIR OF LIGHTWEIGHTS AND YOU AND YOU GET A PAIR AND LIGHTWEIGHTS FOR YOU. Fuzz, not leaving you out - lightweights for YOU"

We could all ride on Lightweights. Man, that would be fun.

Tim P, I might very well take you up on that offer. You can ride my Bora Two clinchers :beer:

Tim Porter
12-30-2015, 11:30 AM
velomonkey: Sweet. PM me anytime. HNY, Tim

verticaldoug
12-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Perhaps someday we can all meet in person and then it will be

"YOU GET A PAIR OF LIGHTWEIGHTS AND YOU AND YOU GET A PAIR AND LIGHTWEIGHTS FOR YOU. Fuzz, not leaving you out - lightweights for YOU"

We could all ride on Lightweights. Man, that would be fun.

Tim P, I might very well take you up on that offer. You can ride my Bora Two clinchers :beer:

Tim, I think Velomonkey is mistaking you for Oprah. But does that make Happycampyer John Travolta?

D

Tim Porter
12-30-2015, 11:54 AM
LOL, as they say.

r_mutt
12-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Most stiffest, lightest, wheel I've ever ridden. They feel sublime. Haven't ridden a set of Bora's so I can't compare apples to apples. Is it worth MSRP? If you have the cash, yes- otherwise, buy them second hand and enjoy.

thegunner
12-30-2015, 09:49 PM
haha thats paceline. If you want the opposite, its weight weenies (even though there was a thread there and plenty of people were talking crap on lw wheels)

then again there's the 'pros on LWs' thread

PoppaWheelie
12-30-2015, 11:33 PM
I bought an orphaned front Ventoux on eBay for $600 and six months later found a single rear for the same price. Dudes on $2k Enves can judge me all they want.

They're super nice, but I'm still slow. Go figure.

Pastashop
12-31-2015, 12:20 AM
Data would suggest they offer a very good combo of low weight, aerodynamics, and lateral stiffness:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

Everything else is pure bling and pixie dust. Greg Lemond at age 17 could probably still wipe the floor with any of us on Enve or Zipp or Lightweights :-)

jmeloy
12-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Lighten the F up, will ya? Or just go away. Really do not need your kind of comments on here.

Thank you.

Well said tv_vt.