PDA

View Full Version : DT-Swiss 36-tooth star ratchet and maintenance question

saab2000
12-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Is it worth it? As we know, DT-Swiss hubs come with the 18-tooth star ratchets. For road riding, is the faster engagement worth the cost? Also, is the noise changed? More noise? Less noise? I like quiet hubs...

I have two sets, one 240 and one 180. I've considered the 'upgrade' if it can be called that, if I can find some of the 36 (or even 54s...) at a decent price.

Also, for those who do their own maintenance, I understand it's pretty easy. Do you use an axle vice? Or do the ends really just pop off? I've not yet been able to pop them off with no tools.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Is it worth it? As we know, DT-Swiss hubs come with the 18-tooth star ratchets. For road riding, is the faster engagement worth the cost? Also, is the noise changed? More noise? Less noise? I like quiet hubs...

I have two sets, one 240 and one 180. I've considered the 'upgrade' if it can be called that, if I can find some of the 36 (or even 54s...) at a decent price.

Also, for those who do their own maintenance, I understand it's pretty easy. Do you use an axle vice? Or do the ends really just pop off? I've not yet been able to pop them off with no tools.

I have worked on both and for road riding, I don't think it's worth the $.

Yes, axle end in axle vice, pop axle end off..FH slides off, 2 springs, a spacer over the axle, 2 discs. Note 'direction' of springs, oil teeth of discs, grease on axle/spacer.

saab2000
12-29-2015, 08:13 AM
I have worked on both and for road riding, I don't think it's worth the $.

Yes, axle end in axle vice, pop axle end off..FH slides off, 2 springs, a spacer over the axle, 2 discs. Note 'direction' of springs, oil teeth of discs, grease on axle/spacer.

Thanks. I need to get a vice... And then an axle vice. Haven't been able to budge them by hand.

AngryScientist
12-29-2015, 08:22 AM
with a tire on a wheel, and the wheel pressed against the ground, i can pull off the freehub body of my DT hubs by hand wearing a leather glove, no problem.

noise: DT hubs are only loud when they are DRY. DT recommends some fancy pants grease for their ratchet mechanism, but i've had very good service from hypoid gear oil. actually, the action of the ratchets in a DT hub are exactly the service that hypoid gear oil is designed for, sliding metal to metal contact. anyway, i lube the ratchets with gear oil every so often, and the parts always look new and are nice and quiet when freewheeling. i highly recommend gear oil for DT hubs.

some of my old pics of DT hub maintenance:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iY8Nfsdbs90/VPsWVsUDb0I/AAAAAAAAB9g/FoalnAMVCQc/s900/IMG_0581.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T5Q1SrP_QwY/VPsWVy4bfMI/AAAAAAAAB9k/Uzxvs2dJCBw/s950/IMG_0580.JPG

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks. I need to get a vice... And then an axle vice. Haven't been able to budge them by hand.

You don't need a vice for this. You can simply use the cassette and pull it away from the hub. The end cap will pop off and allow the discs to be exposed. It doesn't take much force at all and you can swap them over in about 30 secs if you're not fast about it.

Hindmost
12-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Iirc, there is only an o-ring in the endcap holding everything together. Sometimes it will be dry and a little difficult to initially move.

Similar to above: you can remove the cassette, slip a single ring back on, screw on the lock ring, and lever the cassette body free using your hands.

BdaGhisallo
12-29-2015, 02:34 PM
You don't even need to remove the cassette unless you need to. I just put my fingers between the big cog and the spokes and push them apart. Easy peasy!

saab2000
12-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I went to the LBS today and they actually had a Shimano 11-speed cassette body in stock, which I bought. The wheels in question have (had actually...) a Campagnolo cassette body and even though they are reputed to work with Shimano in the 11-speed version, it was imperfect. Since I like perfection I think I'm just going to keep Shimano cassettes and Shimano shifting together and the same with Campagnolo.

Since I had never done this I had the mechanic demonstrate it and sure enough, it came off in his hand. It took a bit of muscle to get it loose, but it all came apart by hand. Remarkable actually.

I expect I'll be able to do this myself in the future.

Rimbaud
12-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the tip on the hypoid gear oil. I bought some of the DT lube before and don't want to lay out that kind of money again.

noise: DT hubs are only loud when they are DRY. DT recommends some fancy pants grease for their ratchet mechanism, but i've had very good service from hypoid gear oil. actually, the action of the ratchets in a DT hub are exactly the service that hypoid gear oil is designed for, sliding metal to metal contact. anyway, i lube the ratchets with gear oil every so often, and the parts always look new and are nice and quiet when freewheeling. i highly recommend gear oil for DT hubs.

eBAUMANN
12-29-2015, 04:13 PM
You don't even need to remove the cassette unless you need to. I just put my fingers between the big cog and the spokes and push them apart. Easy peasy!

some come apart WAY easier than others, FWIW.

ive noticed that 340 hubs are way more eager to release the freehub compared to 240/180/190 hubs. not sure why, just my experience with em.

CAAD
12-29-2015, 04:46 PM
I have the 54 tooth ratchets in my mountain wheels. Fantastic engagement. They are noisy though. I use the red dt grease and repack every few months. I put them in my road wheels just for ····s and it was annoying. You don't notice the faster engagement on the road. The only other reason to upgrade is if your 18 tooth ratchets are the solid type and not the lightweight hollow style. Save a couple grams if that matters.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2015, 06:38 AM
You don't need a vice for this. You can simply use the cassette and pull it away from the hub. The end cap will pop off and allow the discs to be exposed. It doesn't take much force at all and you can swap them over in about 30 secs if you're not fast about it.

Great point but in the shop, with just a wheel, and no cogset, ya kinda do need a axle vice.