PDA

View Full Version : help with 1x11 conversion fail (chain drops)

jimcav
12-29-2015, 12:35 AM
EDIT--problem hopefully solved thanks FORUMITES!
I think i know the answer to my problem, but want advice. 1st, minor rant about the stupid m970 crank removal tool that neither I nor the 1st 2 shops i went to had. luckily 3rd time was the charm--which leads to my next issue--i asked the mechanic who pulled the crank (m970 xTR triple) how much he'd charge to put on my 32 tooth race face wide/narrow ring--he said $5. Deal. I asked if it needed to mount inside for chain line, and he said "no it had better structural strength mounted on outside, and looks better too". $15 and i was out the door, got home, installed XT m8000 shifter, 11-40 11 sp cassette, m8000 GS RD, and 11 sp chain--and every time i try to shift up to the top 2, the chain drops off onto the inside. Am i correct that the ring should mount inside the spider, where the old middle ring was, perhaps even have spacers to move it further in?
this really sucks. I bought a bling-bling green anodized 32tooth and if i go get a newer 1x or 2x the BCD won't work.
anyone know the best method to make this old triple work, or should i just go get a 1x. there is a guy on CL selling a XT m785 2x he has converted to 1x with race face 30 tooth so i could get that tomorrow...but have to return to the shop to have them pull the m970 again (i guess regardless i have to do that)
thanks
jim

Pelican
12-29-2015, 01:38 AM
I would mount it to the inside, where the middle ring used to be. Who cares how it looks, and it's not "stronger" on the outside (stupid thing for the mechanic to say). If you're running the Race Face NW ring, it shouldn't drop off. Did you ever have the chain drop off to the granny gear when it was a triple? Or did you change to all new parts in the rear too?

CiclistiCliff
12-29-2015, 01:42 AM
What Pelican said.

KonaSS
12-29-2015, 05:25 AM
Your mechanic is an idiot. Of course you would want it in the center position. And a triple is usually better than a 2x crank for a 1x conversion - exactly because you have a middle position!

Many times you don't need to pull the crank to change this. Just You can usually just undo the 4 chainring bolts, and work it around to the middle position.

Even if you do have to pull the crank, do it yourself. This is 2 more bolts and the tension bolt.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2015, 05:52 AM
I think i know the answer to my problem, but want advice. 1st, minor rant about the stupid m970 crank removal tool that neither I nor the 1st 2 shops i went to had. luckily 3rd time was the charm--which leads to my next issue--i asked the mechanic who pulled the crank (m970 xTR triple) how much he'd charge to put on my 32 tooth race face wide/narrow ring--he said $5. Deal. I asked if it needed to mount inside for chain line, and he said "no it had better structural strength mounted on outside, and looks better too". $15 and i was out the door, got home, installed XT m8000 shifter, 11-40 11 sp cassette, m8000 GS RD, and 11 sp chain--and every time i try to shift up to the top 2, the chain drops off onto the inside. Am i correct that the ring should mount inside the spider, where the old middle ring was, perhaps even have spacers to move it further in?
this really sucks. I bought a bling-bling green anodized 32tooth and if i go get a newer 1x or 2x the BCD won't work.
anyone know the best method to make this old triple work, or should i just go get a 1x. there is a guy on CL selling a XT m785 2x he has converted to 1x with race face 30 tooth so i could get that tomorrow...but have to return to the shop to have them pull the m970 again (i guess regardless i have to do that)
thanks
jim

yes

stien
12-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Don't forget: the chain must be lined up with the narrow/wide ring or it will derail every single time you pedal. Ask me how I know!

Mikej
12-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Sometimes it's just not that easy- 1x set ups can be very finicky when canabalizing different groups and group model years. Keep in mind an m970 crank design is now 10 years old. Many of the chainlines have been altered to accommodate 1x2x set ups and chain rings now have machined offsets.is the ring on the correct direction? The xt 11s chain also has a direction, check that. You may need to increase your rear derailuer clutch spring to a more firm setting. Or make sure it is "on". Try it on the inside, otherwise I'd get a new 1x xt crank, because to me i don't like hacking what 15 shimano engineers spent years to prevent what you are trying to do:)

jimcav
12-29-2015, 09:25 AM
everything is new 11 spd except the 970 cranks
the chain is kmc 11sl and i don't notice any direction indicator?
i will double check the race face ring, but didn't see it have a direction either

have a GI apt today so will miss some work and hope to have time to take it back to get the ring moved was hoping to ride today...

sandyrs
12-29-2015, 09:38 AM
everything is new 11 spd except the 970 cranks
the chain is kmc 11sl and i don't notice any direction indicator?
i will double check the race face ring, but didn't see it have a direction either

have a GI apt today so will miss some work and hope to have time to take it back to get the ring moved was hoping to ride today...

You seriously do not need to take it to the shop just to move a chainring. If you have a multi tool you can do it yourself.

jimcav
12-30-2015, 08:48 PM
You seriously do not need to take it to the shop just to move a chainring. If you have a multi tool you can do it yourself.

WRONGLY so assumed same would be true--i was able to move it inside, rode the bike around the neighborhood and chain stayed put--hopefully will hit trails tomorrow

noonan1970
12-30-2015, 09:26 PM
is the m8000 GS RD a clutch type Rear Derailleur?