PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Queens Bike Shop Offers Repairs and Camaraderie

ORMojo
12-29-2015, 12:18 AM
I really enjoyed this story.

http://nyti.ms/1R4uVWF

weisan
12-29-2015, 06:18 AM
reminds of that video some pal had posted a while back about that old-school mechanic in Holland fixin' bikes up to help folks get back on their way to work. I couldn't find the link to the video now.

tumbler
12-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

livingminimal
12-29-2015, 09:15 AM
so damn cool. good catch. thanks.
reminds me that the true heroes of cycling are the commuters and the people that use their bikes to pay the bills by delivering etc.

not assholes as seen in the "color of stupid" thread.

Bob Ross
12-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Very cool.

Bonus trivia: The author of that piece is a member of my cycle club; she went through the Spring training series that I coach a few years ago.

tooslow4u
12-29-2015, 10:15 AM
I pass these guys in my commute to the city. Friendly guys and reasonable price. Nice little shop for a quick fix!

ltwtsculler91
12-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Saw this in the paper, it is an awesome story on so many levels. It really speaks to both the cycling and immigrant communities/cultures and how both have a strong tendency to stick together and forge forward beyond challenges

I'll have to swing by this shop next time I'm riding in the city

BobbyJones
12-29-2015, 10:33 AM
So I don't see:

1) Tri Bikes
2) Campy
3) A Fitting Center
4) A Coffee Bar.

Destined to fail!

(Sarcasm of course)

rwsaunders
12-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Nice story...thanks for sharing.

cmg
12-29-2015, 12:19 PM
there's 2 hanging Pinarello's in the back ground. the fastforward deep rim looks cool.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Saw this in the paper, it is an awesome story on so many levels. It really speaks to both the cycling and immigrant communities/cultures and how both have a strong tendency to stick together and forge forward beyond challenges

I'll have to swing by this shop next time I'm riding in the city

Copy to Mr Trump...I'll apologize now for the political statement.

ORMojo
12-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Copy to Mr Trump...I'll apologize now for the political statement.

Not to further take this thread in an inappropriate direction, but I had similar thoughts when reading this paragraph in the article:

"A November report from the New York State comptrollerç—´ office shows immigrants make up 64 percent of the population in Corona and Elmhurst, and 62 percent in Jackson Heights. The high concentration of immigrants has brought a commensurate commercial boom to those neighborhoods: Business growth in Corona/Elmhurst was 35 percent from 2000 to 2013, while Jackson Heights was 29 percent during that period. Those figures compared with 13 percent growth for New York City over all."

AJM100
12-29-2015, 03:37 PM
mini folding chairs and large men . . . great stuff :beer:

Mr. Pink
12-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Not to further take this thread in an inappropriate direction, but I had similar thoughts when reading this paragraph in the article:

"A November report from the New York State comptrollerç—´ office shows immigrants make up 64 percent of the population in Corona and Elmhurst, and 62 percent in Jackson Heights. The high concentration of immigrants has brought a commensurate commercial boom to those neighborhoods: Business growth in Corona/Elmhurst was 35 percent from 2000 to 2013, while Jackson Heights was 29 percent during that period. Those figures compared with 13 percent growth for New York City over all."

Yup. I arrived in NYC in 1975 after college, and even drove a cab for eight months in 78, so, I remember the bad days well. America almost joyfully gave up on the city and many others at that time, as the Bronx burned and politicians did photo ops walking through the rubble. Who saved the outer boroughs and still bring life and vitality to them? People from, literally, all over the world. Trust me, every big city mayor would love to have NYCs ability to rejuvenate itself.

Just went to the 9/11 museum for the first time. As a New Yorker who watched those towers go up, and then down, I didn't learn much, but was reminded of the diversity of all those killed. Look at the list someday. I guess all the head shots they gathered of the dead are viewable online. That just wasn't powerful white America that was attacked, it was the incredibly diverse population of NYC that took that hit, many of them recent immigrants. Let's not forget that.