PDA

View Full Version : Moots Routt or Routt 45

VanBikeGuy
12-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Happy Holidays!

Just found a Routt 45 (60cm) frameset, but before I build it up, what is your opinion on the riding difference between a Routt and a Routt 45. I know the only difference is the 423 and 450mm chainstay. I would have preferred the racier handling of the Routt, but like the idea of putting 40mm tires on the Routt 45.

How much slower will the Routt 45 be on the road assuming the same tires (28 - 30mm)?

Vamoots58
12-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Have i shod with WTB 40mm tires, but for winter road use have some Vittoria 32's. I really like the bike, but actually wonder in retrospect if I would have gone with Routt if I had it to do again. Neither bike is going to feel like my C59 on the road!! I did build it up to have maximum versatility between light off road, winter riding, etc. You won't be unhappy with the 45 (or the Routt) as long as you don't expect a racy road feeling rig!! If you'd like to see some pics to get a sense of geometry, just shout.

VanBikeGuy
12-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the response! Pics would be great.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2015, 05:59 AM
Happy Holidays!

Just found a good deal on a Routt 45 (60cm) frameset, but before I build it up, what is your opinion on the riding difference between a Routt and a Routt 45. I know the only difference is the 423 and 450mm chainstay. I would have preferred the racier handling of the Routt, but like the idea of putting 40mm tires on the Routt 45.

How much slower will the Routt 45 be on the road assuming the same tires (28 - 30mm)?

1.32 sec per mile...:D

Does it really matter? 2.7cm? basically an inch of chainstay? If ya like the idea of big fat tires, and you can't do that on the Routt, get the '45'.

etu
12-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Being a Moots, I am sure even a good deal is an expensive one. Sounds like you'd be making a compromise with the 45. I know it were me, I'd seconding guess myself too much to be happy, but then that's me, not you.:help:

eBAUMANN
12-29-2015, 04:09 PM
id be a little surprised and disappointed if moots couldnt find a way to fit a 40c tire with 423mm stays...also kinda weird that they spec 423 instead of the industry standard 425...kinda makes me feel like they did it just to justify adding the "45" model...

450mm is a LONG chainstay...like, longer than most touring bikes. if you arent looking for something to go on long gravel tours with, i would steer clear.

sandyrs
12-29-2015, 04:21 PM
id be a little surprised and disappointed if moots couldnt find a way to fit a 40c tire with 423mm stays...also kinda weird that they spec 423 instead of the industry standard 425...kinda makes me feel like they did it just to justify adding the "45" model...

450mm is a LONG chainstay...like, longer than most touring bikes. if you arent looking for something to go on long gravel tours with, i would steer clear.

Struck me as odd too. The 45 can admittedly clear, er, 45mm tires (I would assume the Panaracer Fire Cross or whatever it's called, and that's a gnarly tire) but still, 35mm on the regular Routt is a bit narrow considering how many popular 40's are out there these days.

moots7
12-29-2015, 04:35 PM
I just picked up a Routt, I am expecting it to ride similar to the PX I just sold, I kind of wanted something that would take up to 40mm tires but for 90% of what I will use it for
35's should be plenty.
Rounding up parts so will post when it's done.
Still trying to decide on which Disc brakes to use.

alembical
12-29-2015, 05:06 PM

I have a new Ridley X-Trail and they list the stays at 422. Definitely weird. Howerver, it can fit 40s. I am not sure if that due to seat tube angle, bb86 bottom bracket, or some combination of factors.

kingpin75s
12-29-2015, 07:56 PM
I really like the Routt 45 specifically because it can run a 45c tire. I really like the Bruce Gordon RnR tires (43c) for the deep spring gravel when maintenance is done as well as for river bottom riding.

With that said, 450mm is a little long in the rear. Steve Potts is currently building me a B-road frame and fork around the Bruce Gordon RnR and it will have chain stays just shy of 432mm.

VanBikeGuy
12-29-2015, 08:22 PM
I figure for a 60cm bike and my height, it will be a least a nice balanced bike (not expecting a carbon racer or anything) that's good for winter riding, summer touring, and gravel rides. I probably could have made due with the regular Routt, but once I'm on the bike I will won't notice that much of a difference, plus it gives me more choices with tires.

etu
12-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Congrats. Sounds like you have the right mindset. Should be a fun to build up and even more to ride around!:beer:

kingpin75s
12-29-2015, 11:52 PM
At the end of the day, I bought it. $2100 with Enve fork, Ti seatpost and stem. I figure for a 60cm bike and my height, it will be a least a nice balanced bike (not expecting a carbon racer or anything) that's good for winter riding, summer touring, and gravel rides. I probably could have made due with the regular Routt, but once I'm on the bike I will won't notice that much of a difference, plus it gives me more choices with tires.

Congratulations! Great deal on a pretty unique bike (Ti & 45c tires) that should be a really fun ride. It was the only production bike I considered. There is not a road this will not take you down so hopefully you will enjoy the diversity the greater clearance provides.

Although mine is being built around the RnR, for roads (and more) I will be running the Compass Cycles Barlow Pass 700 x 38c and a great tire for your bike if you are ok with the extra rubber. YMMV.

Enjoy!

VanBikeGuy
12-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks Kingpin. I was thinking the same tires for the road as well. Nice and light for 38c.

ElHardeen
01-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Had my eye on one of the 45's for a while now. Seems like it would make the perfect daily driver exploration bike.

Post some pictures and thoughts for us once you get it all built up and riding!

p nut
06-05-2016, 08:21 PM
billyd - wondering how you like the Routt 45 so far. I like the geo, specifically the stack for dirt roads.