PDA

View Full Version : TRP RRL Levers and Cable Discs

Lovetoclimb
12-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Looking to pair a set of TRP Spyre mechanical calipers with the RRL Levers. Anyone pulled this off with success or lack thereof and willing to share the experience with me?

Thanks

jbay
12-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Sadly, despite both components coming from TRP, this is not a match made in heaven. I love the RRL levers, but they are at the high mechanical advantage/low cable pull end of the spectrum. This means that you need to keep the pads adjusted very close to the rotor when they are combined with Spyres. Using that combination on a couple of tandems equipped with 203mm rotors (which are much more difficult to keep true than 160mm rotors, for example) necessitated frequent stops to adjust pads. Worse, this is exacerbated by the Spyre's terrible flaw - the fact that the pad adjustment has no detents or indexing, which means that the pads free float their way out of adjustment.

My solution is to use TRP's superb HyRds with RRL levers, but even that involves attaching the cable on the "other" side of the cable anchor bolt, in order to shorten the arm and, thus, the required cable pull.

-- John