PDA

View Full Version : Post Ride Hunger

wdlewis
05-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I have resumed biking after a 12 year break and am approaching 63. I've been riding for about 2 months and am doing 20-30 mile rides 3 times a week.

I am famished about an hour after a ride and stay hungry all day. Is this a normal reaction? I don't remember this reaction when I was last riding.

I ate a couple of small boxes of raisins on the ride today and didn't feel as drained at the end.

Guess I need some education here.

Kevan
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
I think it’s common that the body responses differently to new lifestyle changes. Not being a doctor and not really knowing what the heck I’m talking about, I can only reflect on my own experience.

Used to be I would never even try throwing a leg over my bike without eating something first. Now, I regularly jump on my bike in the morning without so much as a Cheerio to commute to work.

I think you will see a change once your body adapts to your return. Any medications you take might be an outside influence.

jasont
05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Heh, I read your subject wrong and was waiting for the funny ;-)

I'm not hungry at all for about an hour after a ride but once I get my appetite back, I don't recall being unusually hungry.

david
05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
i'm no expert, but it's a safe bet you've cranked up your metabolism. body saying "i need more."
try not to ride to the point of feeling hungry. you'll just suffer more and won't ride as well. kinda like waiting to be thrsty before drinking.
also, eat good stuff within the first hour after a ride. supposed to be the key window for effective replenishment.
believe it or not, the post-ride rage in some quarters these days is chocolate milk.
have fun. riding and eating can coexist quite nicely.