PDA

View Full Version : Boa road shoes - Fizik/S-works/Gaerne

akatsuki
12-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Been eyeing the new dual Boa shoes... But since, of course, nobody carries the three I am looking at, it is really hard to get a sense of which way to go.

The contenders are:

Gaerne G-Stilo
S-Works 6
Fizik R1B
and any others I may have missed...

I haven't seen the Fiziks yet in real life, the Gaernes and S-works 6 both seem amazing, with maybe a slight nod to Gaerne for comfort, but, again, hard to say when I am trying them on at entirely different stores/times...

Anyone have any input or am I just splitting hairs?

tsells1
12-27-2015, 08:21 PM
Shoes are like frameset selections, they're a lot of great choices out there. I would advise to choose what's fits you best.

I use Sidi Wires because the cut which is slightly different than the ones you note above. Specialized though has intrigued me, they seem similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
12-27-2015, 08:41 PM
The new Fiziks aren't out yet, as I understand it. Coming in January.

shovelhd
12-27-2015, 10:07 PM
I have two sets of Sworks shoes. The one thing I learned was that the sizing can be variable. I rode a set for several years, 43.5. One of the Boa mounts broke. Sworks have a lifetime warranty so they replaced them no questions asked, but the replacement 43.5 were too small. I swapped them for the identical 44.0, and they are a little too big. Not enough to be an issue though. Check fit in the store before paying for them.

ptourkin
12-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Been eyeing the new dual Boa shoes... But since, of course, nobody carries the three I am looking at, it is really hard to get a sense of which way to go.

The contenders are:

Gaerne G-Stilo
S-Works 6
Fizik R1B
and any others I may have missed...

I haven't seen the Fiziks yet in real life, the Gaernes and S-works 6 both seem amazing, with maybe a slight nod to Gaerne for comfort, but, again, hard to say when I am trying them on at entirely different stores/times...

Anyone have any input or am I just splitting hairs?

Probably splitting hairs. The ones with the last that fit you best are the ones you'll like. I've been wearing Vittoria Ikons for about 6,000 miles and love them. The last is better for me than Sidi.

An ultracycling friend is a Gaerne dealer and he and his partner use the Gaerne and love them.

Not full Boa, but I've heard great things about the top of the line Shimano R-321 as well.

ltwtsculler91
12-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Check out the Bontrager XXX as well. 2 Boas and a velcro strap over the toe, in a light and comfortable show

foo_fighter
12-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Also Pearl Izumi....
What's the advantage of Dual Boa? It seems like the top Boa and lower velcro strap would be simpler and faster.

shovelhd
12-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Also Pearl Izumi....
What's the advantage of Dual Boa? It seems like the top Boa and lower velcro strap would be simpler and faster.

If you have narrow heels, they really help when adjusting your shoes in the peloton.

OtayBW
12-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Lake CX-237s are great, IMO.