PDA

View Full Version : So much for doing anything outside this weekend - Rain, rain, rain

Louis
12-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Starting Saturday morning through the end of the day on Monday they're forecasting a total of 7" of rain for the St Louis area, and lots of flooding. The ground is already soaked from what we've gotten over the last few weeks, and now we're going to get a lot more. The NWS is using words like "historic rainfall quantities" and stuff like that.

Hopefully the basement will stay dry... I live at the top of a hill, so I don't have to worry about major flooding, but if it's heavy enough I have gotten some water in the basement due to local flows around the house.

Dead Man
12-26-2015, 12:06 AM
Three weeks into December, we broke the previous record for rainfall in any December.... in history. And it's done nothing but rain since. For Portland, Oregon, that's saying a lot.

SO SHUT YER WHININ

Dead Man
12-26-2015, 12:08 AM
7" in 48 hours is a hell of a lot of rain, though..

Louis
12-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Yeah, but that's the PNW - it's supposed to rain up there at this time of year. (Except that usually it's 0.01" / hour)

Louis
12-26-2015, 12:25 AM
* FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON

* PERIODS OF RAIN WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL PRODUCE 5 TO
8 INCHES OF RAINFALL FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON. LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE.

The "locally heavier amounts are possible" is a problem when thunderstorms are around. Last April we got over 1.5" in about 20 minutes from one thunderstorm (and hail, that resulted in lots of business for the roofing companies). That's bad news...

At least I don't live down by the creek...

bicycletricycle
12-26-2015, 06:34 AM
Just go on a rain ride, it's fun

weisan
12-26-2015, 07:31 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=179378

F150
12-26-2015, 10:35 AM
May, 2010 saw up to 18" of rain in a few isolated areas, 8"-10" across virtually entire Cumberland River watershed. Old Hickory Dam upstream of downtown Nashville came within a foot of overtopping. Had it done so, Lower Broad would have had 15 ft of water in the street instead of 6.

Bad spot for rock quarrry...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKKruF5OQ5A

Fenders? MUT with no traffic? Then ride.

unterhausen
12-26-2015, 11:10 AM
my mom's house is the pink/red house at the beginning of this video. FEMA eventually purchased it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY75oRG5GQo She was away during the Nashville flood, water marks show it got up to the roof line at about 13'. Her dogs managed to escape somehow. Don't think I would have gone riding that day. If I wasn't so busy helping her clean up after, it would have been great to go riding in the aftermath.

berserk87
12-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Got a couple of hours in this morning. It was misting a bit when we started and was steady rain by the time we finished. With the apparel that I have, it was doable with comfort. It was better than riding the trainer indoors.

F150
12-26-2015, 12:04 PM
my mom's house is the pink/red house at the beginning of this video. FEMA eventually purchased it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY75oRG5GQo She was away during the Nashville flood, water marks show it got up to the roof line at about 13'. Her dogs managed to escape somehow. Don't think I would have gone riding that day. If I wasn't so busy helping her clean up after, it would have been great to go riding in the aftermath.

Not an Antioch boy, are you? The video of the portable schoolhouse getting sucked under I-24 at Mill Creek is pretty impressive, and just a few hundred yards upstream of your Mom's old place. Glad she wasn't home at the time. I was standing in 3 ft of water two doors down from my place, sandbagging neighbor's garage doors when the water pressure snapped them. Fortunately we stayed dry.

unterhausen
12-26-2015, 01:53 PM
I actually only visited mom in Antioch once, to clean out her house.

It dried out here, I'm going for a ride. I want to do 100km tomorrow, not sure if that's still on though.

Plum Hill
12-26-2015, 03:34 PM
I live in the same metropolitan area as Louis. We had 2 1/2" Wednesday morning in just a few hours. Intellicast is calling for a total of 5-8" by Monday afternoon.
I've been in the basement shelling pecans, taking great solice in the new backflow valve and sump pump that were installed last month. I should be repacking some Campy hubs. Maybe tomorrow.
I've never met Louis, buldogge, or ice pick trotsky. Perhaps we should break bread at Evangeline's Bistro or Blueberry Hill.

Louis
12-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Well, so far the NWS has been correct. We've had nearly continuous rain since this morning, ranging from light drizzle to heavy when one of the t-storm blobs goes over. Nothing torrential, but given how much we've had to this point it only takes a little to create significant runoff. I'm sure the creeks and stream in the area are full and overflowing. I have to drive right next to one of them to get from my subdivision to the rest of the world, and I'm pretty sure that the N route is flooded and had been closed off by the police.

Thankfully I don't have anywhere I need to be, so I'm staying home and listening to the rain outside. If I get motivated I might dust of the Concept II erg and punish myself a bit. I also want to install the heated gloves wiring harness on the Kawasaki so my hands can get a bit of help staying warm. Might do that tomorrow.

By the way, Plum Hill, if you didn't already know, Blueberry Hill is almost right across the street from Buldogge's tattoo studio.

jmeloy
12-26-2015, 04:18 PM
The "locally heavier amounts are possible" is a problem when thunderstorms are around. Last April we got over 1.5" in about 20 minutes from one thunderstorm (and hail, that resulted in lots of business for the roofing companies). That's bad news...

At least I don't live down by the creek...

Louis, it held off in KC until after 2:00 and I got in 30 miles. You STL'ers just live in a bad climate zone😉.

Spent Christmas Eve in West County visiting my 100 year old mother-in-law.

Louis
12-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Spent Christmas Eve in West County visiting my 100 year old mother-in-law.

Wow - that's old.

I live a bit west of her - a mile or so east of the MO river, just south of where Hwy 40/64 crosses the river. (which is probably the bridge you used to go to her place).

unterhausen
12-26-2015, 05:35 PM
I went out and rode and got cold. What's up with that? I can barely type.

Tomorrow we're supposed to be just south of that storm system coming up from visiting Louis. So hopefully it will swing north of here and the 100k will just feature a little higher temps and a little drizzle.

Louis
12-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Well, the forecasts were right. Rivers flooding all over the place, tons of roads closed, what a mess. The good news is that my basement stayed dry (mostly) but the septic tank is acting up...

http://www.weather.gov/images/lsx/WxStory/FileL.png?rand=32803

rounder
12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
We have had rain pretty much every day for over a week here in Maryland. The temps have been pleasant for this time of year...but the weather has been bad here I do not go riding out when it is already raining.

But I look at the weather maps and see how bad it is out there in Missouri with all the flooding. Good luck man. Hope that folks in your area are doing ok.

Louis
12-29-2015, 11:00 PM
This was taken earlier today (not by me) in Pacific MO, a town I sometimes go through on my longer rides.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/f2/ff2ab4c6-31da-5a11-b0e7-89744dd2a589/5682f49a52c79.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

Llewellyn
12-29-2015, 11:10 PM
This was taken earlier today (not by me) in Pacific MO, a town I sometimes go through on my longer rides.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/f2/ff2ab4c6-31da-5a11-b0e7-89744dd2a589/5682f49a52c79.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

You can send some of that down here Louis. I don't think we've had that much rain all year. Hell, we probably haven't had that much in the last 2 years!! But seriously, I hope everything is as OK as it can be for all those affected

Louis
12-29-2015, 11:17 PM
Hell, we probably haven't had that much in the last 2 years!!

This is the total accumulated rainfall over the last year, and the day-to-day rainfall.

We're currently 23 inches over our annual "average" and the spikes at the end of December are what caused the most recent issues.

GScot
12-30-2015, 07:18 AM
This is the total accumulated rainfall over the last year, and the day-to-day rainfall.

We're currently 23 inches over our annual "average" and the spikes at the end of December are what caused the most recent issues.

I knew we had moved into a swamp. Quite an adjustment coming from PHX just last November. Fortunately we have suffered no flooding.

weisan
12-30-2015, 07:52 AM

WOW!!!

Louis pal and I used to ride together on those roads back when we were living in St. Louis. It's unreal to see the amount of flooding in the Pacific, Alton area. We knew of a family who lived in that area, got to check and see how they are doing, probably already evacuated.

http://www.weather.com/safety/floods/news/plains-midwest-flooding-news-mississippi-river-st-louis

gasman
12-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Louis hope you are safe.
It looks like a huge number are being affected. Thoughts are with everyone.

572cv
12-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Hope alls well with you and yours, Louis. Hard times in your neck of the woods for sure.