PDA

View Full Version : question for any seasucker (esp. hornet) users

jimcav
12-25-2015, 10:14 PM
I am really back into MTB, and want a vacuum roof rack for my trans am or studebaker, but i have a lefty so hope to transport it upside down--that is how the seersucker hornet is displayed, but always on the back of a van or suv. i don't see why it couldn't work on the roof--2 cups to hold the bars, and the 3rd to hold the saddle?
appreciate any info
thanks
jim

rockdude
12-26-2015, 08:37 AM
I saw seasuckers at interbike, cool stuff. I would love some feedback on the Hornet also. Its seems a good option for my wife's Q7.

PROEDGEBIKER
12-26-2015, 09:24 AM
I am really back into MTB, and want a vacuum roof rack for my trans am or studebaker, but i have a lefty so hope to transport it upside down--that is how the seersucker hornet is displayed, but always on the back of a van or suv. i don't see why it couldn't work on the roof--2 cups to hold the bars, and the 3rd to hold the saddle?
appreciate any info
thanks
jim

So yes, the seasucker was made to carry bikes via the handlebars for SUV's & Station Wagons (or basically any car with a flatish rear window and no trunk.
However, there are many people that use it the way you want to but they also buy an extra sucker in order to hold the seat in place so there is no R-L movement while driving or when taking turns.

Option 2: There are also many of our customers who purchase two 6" SeaSuckers with Ladder Straps (Same straps the hornet uses on its 4.5" Suckers) and one 6" SeaSucker with Velcro Strap for the saddle.

The difference being:
6" SeaSucker has a 210LB Hold
4.5" Seasucker has a 110LB Hold

Hope this helps you.

jimcav
12-26-2015, 11:24 AM
I am going to do it

So yes, the seasucker was made to carry bikes via the handlebars for SUV's & Station Wagons (or basically any car with a flatish rear window and no trunk.
However, there are many people that use it the way you want to but they also buy an extra sucker in order to hold the seat in place so there is no R-L movement while driving or when taking turns.

Option 2: There are also many of our customers who purchase two 6" SeaSuckers with Ladder Straps (Same straps the hornet uses on its 4.5" Suckers) and one 6" SeaSucker with Velcro Strap for the saddle.

The difference being:
6" SeaSucker has a 210LB Hold
4.5" Seasucker has a 110LB Hold

Hope this helps you.

jimcav
12-27-2015, 06:23 PM
just ordered a 6 inch velcro for the saddle from your site
jim

William
12-28-2015, 09:18 AM
I haven't used the Hornet, but here are two review threads for SeaSucker Talon racks...

Long term review teaser: Talon Bike rack by Seasucker
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125225&highlight=seasucker

SeaSucker Bike rack review: The Talon
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125395&highlight=seasucker

William

jmal
12-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Any concerns with the forces this rack system would exert on the windshield? Now that I'm somewhat convinced that the vacuum cups will hold, I'm a little worried about the surfaces it attaches to.

Mikej
12-28-2015, 09:49 AM
mtbr.com car and biker forum has a huge thread on this-still craziness to me🚲😀

William
12-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Any concerns with the forces this rack system would exert on the windshield? Now that I'm somewhat convinced that the vacuum cups will hold, I'm a little worried about the surfaces it attaches to.

Zero. Most likely it will only be attached to the windshield on the front end while the back end will be anchored to the roof.

William

kitsnob
12-28-2015, 10:24 PM
I have the one bike Talon rack and have been using it for about 2 years now.
I have used it on all my cars (VDub Bug, Fiat 500 Electric, MBZ SLK, MBZ C coupe) as well as taken it with me and used it on friends cars.
Absolutely NO issues whatsoever and I have even driven faster than recommended with no adverse effects (except having to continuously look into my rear view)
So easy to use. Just follow the directions and you won't have a problem.
A great investment for a portable rack that is so much better than any trunk mounted "strap" rack system ...

jimcav
12-28-2015, 11:38 PM
mine is shipping to me now so am hoping it gets here by this weekend
jim