PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Oscar for Best Picture

Elefantino
12-25-2015, 09:24 PM
I thought that "Spotlight" was the best picture I had seen this year, and it was until today.

We saw "The Big Short." It's a masterful piece of filmmaking. All the actors are outstanding. The script is fabulous.

It's my front-runner now.

Your $.02?

FlashUNC
12-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Ex Machina, Fury Road, and Hateful Eight for me. Order depends on how I feel on any given day.

GeekBoy
12-26-2015, 01:04 AM
The Revenant for me. Excellent acting by diCaprio and Tom Hardy.

Thought the angry eight was good, but definitely not my favorite Tarantino movie...

CampyorBust
12-26-2015, 02:08 AM
Simply because of the following quote…

"I'm Irish your German, but what makes us both Americans? Just one thing, one, one, one the rulebook, we call it the constitution, and we agree to the rules and that’s what makes us Americans. It’s all that makes us Americans, so don’t tell me there no rulebook and don’t nod at me like that you sob."

https://youtu.be/V4cnOrUqJWg

Other honorable mentions...

I am by no means a fan of Tarantino movies though I do watch them, I do not condone the desensitization to violence they foment in society (same goes for Hunger Games). Having said that I enjoyed The Hatefull Eight.

Oh and the Farce Awakens by Jar Jar Abrams was simply amazing.

Have not seen Ex Machina or The Revenant, on my to watch list.

oldpotatoe
12-26-2015, 05:28 AM
The Revenant for me. Excellent acting by diCaprio and Tom Hardy.

Thought the angry eight was good, but definitely not my favorite Tarantino movie...

Did you have a Revenant showing in AZ? Not released here till Jan 8.

Can't stomach any Tarantino movie after Pulp Fiction..Ex Machina was excellent.

tbike4
12-26-2015, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure Ex Machina gets my vote but this scene is always entertaining. Possible spoiler alert!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGY44DIQb-A

Red Tornado
12-26-2015, 08:22 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Some of these flicks don't come to the theater in TX until early Jan.

milkbaby
12-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Mad Max Fury Road gets my vote. The three main protagonists each undergo a huge transformation from what they were in the beginning of the film to something different by the end of the film. The action is so incredible and the plot seemingly so simple that many people totally miss the fact that each of these characters undergo a transformative journey as the film progresses.

The movie also touches on feminism, religious fundamentalism, personal responsibility, guilt and forgiveness, and does it without obviously hitting you over the head with any big picture preachy "messages".

JMacII
12-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Other honorable mentions...

Jupiter Ascending good stuff!

This was a joke right?

CampyorBust
12-27-2015, 12:33 AM
This was a joke right?

More of a derp really. I forgot the Oscar nomination part of this thread, my b. If however the nomination was for good flick with cute chick to watch while getting yo drank on, well then yes Derpiter Ascending it would have to be. I mean a sky skating "lycan" saving the oh so sexy Mila Kunis, from parasitic human aliens that feed off of humanity with the help of a few other not so human aliens, and with a happy ending to boot, whats not to like? I liked it, though there are a few parts of the movie I have to ff through.

(spoiler alert) Another derptastic movie this year Scorch Trials ---- they went zombie.:crap:

Watched Ex Machina - Ya das ist gut! I wish they went a little more Kubrick/Shinning with it, still excellent though, great music. It had me at the opening score :hello:

avalonracing
12-27-2015, 07:49 AM
How long before Best Picture goes to a stupid superhero movie as it seems to be all that 99% of the movie-going public cares about?

JMacII
12-27-2015, 08:44 AM
How long before Best Picture goes to a stupid superhero movie as it seems to be all that 99% of the movie-going public cares about?

Get off my lawn!

GeekBoy
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM

Long story but got to see an early viewing. The new Tarantino is relatively mellow-ish. Great dialogs but not as violent or active as some of his other movies. Just some people getting shot ;)

jischr
12-28-2015, 08:52 PM
A Testament of Youth, not only well made and based on reality, but has Alicia Vikander as the female lead.

slidey
12-28-2015, 11:31 PM
I really enjoyed 'Spotlight', as well as 'The Martian'.

'The Big Short' is on my short list.

Uncle Jam's Army
12-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Kingsman: The Secret Service

/thread

soulspinner
12-29-2015, 06:29 AM
I thought that "Spotlight" was the best picture I had seen this year, and it was until today.

We saw "The Big Short." It's a masterful piece of filmmaking. All the actors are outstanding. The script is fabulous.

It's my front-runner now.

Your $.02?

Saw it two nights ago. Awesome.

mg2ride
12-29-2015, 08:09 AM
Creed!

rugbysecondrow
12-29-2015, 08:30 AM
Creed!

From what I have seen, I would pick Creed. It was an excellent movie! I am a huge fan of the original Rocky film, and was very "eh" about a retread of the film franchise, but this movie was great. I was even more impressed that 95% of critics liked it on Rotten Tomatoes. I could see Stallone getting a Best Supporting Actor nod for his performance. Sly gets a lot of flack for some of his movies, but his original Rocky and Rambo are truly great movies which were tainted by the sequels. Creed is wonderful in the same way and I hope they don't make another.

Fury Road was great as well, but it is a niche movie. I liked the original movies, but I know many people who turned it off after a few minutes. Many more who wouldn't even start the film. Not sure if a film like that wins.

The Martian might get there as well. It was a very good movie, everybody I know who saw it really liked it and recommended it. It was heartfelt, surprisingly funny and well acted by all.

I haven't seen Spotlight or Big Short, they might be great movies, but not movie theater worthy, IMO. I will check out Hateful 8 over the holiday weekend.

Of these, Creed would get my nod.

chengher87
12-29-2015, 04:13 PM
I may be a young' un here, because I thought Inside Out was the best movie I saw this year. Ex Machina a close second.

Rimbaud
12-30-2015, 05:43 AM
Sicario is in the lead for me currently. Probably Ex Machina second.

The Martian was somewhat disappointing: everything seemed wrote/predictable. Not just the story, but as soon as you meet any given character you know exactly whet they're about/what stereotype they fit into. Ridley Scott's Prometheus was not crafted as well as The Martian, but it was more interesting/thought provoking.

The Big Short was a finely crafted film tackling a tricky subject for cinema, but I didn't ultimately feel like it had an impact on me in any way.

Need to see Carol (I think I'll love that one), Brooklyn, Hateful Eight (I still love Tarantino), Revenant, maybe Room.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2015, 06:29 AM

The Martian was somewhat disappointing: everything seemed wrote/predictable. Not just the story, but as soon as you meet any given character you know exactly whet they're about/what stereotype they fit into. Ridley Scott's Prometheus was not crafted as well as The Martian, but it was more interesting/thought provoking.

The Big Short was a finely crafted film tackling a tricky subject for cinema, but I didn't ultimately feel like it had an impact on me in any way.

Need to see Carol (I think I'll love that one), Brooklyn, Hateful Eight (I still love Tarantino), Revenant, maybe Room.

I think because that story(Astronaut stranded) and it's characters seem like they could be living and working on this stuff today. Prometheus seems like an un animated cartoon. I liked the visual impact until the end..then the story fell apart.

Want to see Revenant..it's a remake of a "Man called Horse', right?

peanutgallery
12-30-2015, 07:46 AM
We really liked Sicario, too

Dark stuff

weisan
12-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Dark stuff

Unless they are on Prime or Netflix, I tend to be the last ones in my family to have seen some of these blockbusters...my teenagers on the other hand...:bike::D...anyway, today is my day off, looking forward to doing some light-hearted trail riding on my Merlin cross with fenders, expecting some light drizzle in the morning, and then fuel up with a couple of McChickens (and deordorant) before heading into the discount cinema ($2) to watch the Martian at 12:30, choosing that over Sicario, don't need the dark stuff at the moment, already knew them far too well....

oldpotatoe
01-02-2016, 06:50 AM

Dark stuff

Just watched it last night. I understand Emily Blunts hesitation but the lack of info to her, surprises me as the guns come out with all these 'cowboys'.

Later the rational of using the FBI and Del Toros 'secret' makes it interesting but it just seems thin to me. IMHO..

Elefantino
01-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Just saw "Sicario." I really enjoyed it and thought it was remarkably well shot, a nod to cinematographer Roger Deakins, who will probably earn his 13th Oscarョ nomination and once again won't win.

Benicia Del Toro was good.

eddief
01-16-2016, 02:50 PM
What a long, slow, drawn out slog through hell. If it didn't end when it finally did, I would a had to kill myself to put me out of Leo's misery. I would now believe those that said green tomato. Sort of the same but different kind of torture as Whiplash last year.

mbrtool
01-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Revenant!!

Elefantino
01-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Finally saw "The Revenant" today.

It will likely win Best Picture. I kept thinking that through the entire movie, particularly during the long shots of scenery and landscape that will, also, likely earn Emmanuel Lubezki his third straight Oscar. However, somewhere within that 156 minutes is only about 40 minutes of actual movie. In my mind, "total Oscar bait."

I have not seen "Room" or "Brooklyn" but here is how I rank the Oscar contenders (and non-), IAC:

The Big Short
Spotlight
Sicario*
The Martian
Creed*
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Bridge of Spies

*-not nominated

eddief
01-16-2016, 09:12 PM
is nearly great.

GeekBoy
01-17-2016, 03:37 AM
Creed shouldn't be on any oscar lists at all. Popcorn movie at best.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2016, 06:04 AM
Creed shouldn't be on any oscar lists at all. Popcorn movie at best.

Agree, same with MadMax..VERY exciting and downright weird at times but best picture? No IMHO.

CampyorBust
01-18-2016, 12:02 AM
https://youtu.be/1GpLyCAQlsk

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/nmf9323/dr-evil-pinky.jpg (http://s175.photobucket.com/user/nmf9323/media/dr-evil-pinky.jpg.html)

slidey
01-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Just saw the Big Short, bringing up the list of 2016 BP nominees watched to 3.

"My" increasing order of merit (1: Best, 3: Not that great):
1. Spotlight
2. Martian
3. Big Short

Can't be bothered to watch Mad Max/Bridge of Spies.

Lets see when I get around to watch the rest.

stien
01-29-2016, 05:47 AM
I guess I know what I'm watching this weekend! I saw ex machina and fury road and hated them both.

oldpotatoe
01-29-2016, 06:28 AM
I guess I know what I'm watching this weekend! I saw ex machina and fury road and hated them both.

Go see 'Revenant'..I think Leo and the movie are shoe-ins-IMHO..I loved it.

stien
01-29-2016, 06:45 AM

Thanks OP. Will give it a whirl! Need to take the Mrs on a date night. We've been indoor training for the past 3 weeks straight.

CunegoFan
01-29-2016, 09:41 AM

Took my dad to this recently for his birthday. He was very skeptical of going to a Leo Dicaprio movie but came out of it saying Leo deserves an Oscar. If nothing else the cinematography, the mountains, the forests, and the rivers are gorgeous. The only knock I had against is that Tom Hardy often mumbled his lines or they were overwhelmed by background sound, making him hard to understand.

weisan
02-04-2016, 08:35 AM

Elefantino
02-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Have now seen all eight Best Picture nominees. Were I voting, in order:
1. The Big Short
2. Spotlight
3. Room
4. The Martian
5. Brooklyn
6. Bridge of Spies
7. The Revenant
8. Mad Max Fury Road
YMMV

bicycletricycle
02-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Revenant or mad max

Really appreciate the over top commitment of both movies, they should be rewarded for their efforts.

Revenant is a really beautiful movie

slidey
02-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Have any of you watched Pawn Sacrifice?

I know its not nominated, but should've been.

Elefantino
02-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Revenant or mad max

Really appreciate the over top commitment of both movies, they should be rewarded for their efforts.

Revenant is a really beautiful movie

No argument about its beauty. Easily the winner for cinematography. (Although Sicario was beautiful, too.)

I think overall it is a really strong year.

bironi
02-05-2016, 09:28 PM
No argument about its beauty. Easily the winner for cinematography. (Although Sicario was beautiful, too.)

I think overall it is a really strong year.

So in which film did you like Tom Hardy's performance most? This question is to all whom have seen both nominees for Best Pic.

bicycletricycle
02-05-2016, 10:29 PM
I like tom hardy in the revenant more

Maybe because I liked the character more, I like characters that are simultaneously terrible and understandable , heck I kind of sympathized with the man, he really wanted to get the f**k out if there, he was already scalped once, can you blame the man?

Elefantino
02-05-2016, 10:38 PM
So in which film did you like Tom Hardy's performance most? This question is to all whom have seen both nominees for Best Pic.
I liked him I better in Mad Max because, well, he didn't MUMBLE through the whole movie. :D

oldpotatoe
02-06-2016, 06:48 AM
I like tom hardy in the revenant more

Maybe because I liked the character more, I like characters that are simultaneously terrible and understandable , heck I kind of sympathized with the man, he really wanted to get the f**k out if there, he was already scalped once, can you blame the man?

I did too. He really isn't the main character in Mad Max..Theron is.

Ray
02-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Spotlight is the best movie I've seen in a few years. I saw The Big Short, The Martian, Concussion, Brooklyn, Bridge of Spys, and Creed. Didn't see Revenant, Room, or Mad Max.

I liked the Big Short a lot, but having read the book, I didn't think the movie came close to living up to it, so it was hard to compare it to other movies since I couldn't get past comparing it to the book, which was astonishingly good.

But Spotlight was the best journalism movie I've seen since All the Presidents Men and, again, I'd read the Wood/Stein book a few times and knew how it all played out, so I actually thought Spotlight was better. Just an astoundingly well done film, nothing overplayed, but incredibly well paced, a great cast of people willing to be team players on this movie.

Revenant may well be as good or better, but it's not the kind of movie I shell out money for - once it's on free for view I'll probably check it out. But just based on the type of movie it is, I know my vote goes to Spotlight... I haven't walked out of a movie that impressed in a long time... And, oh yeah, pretty powerful story too...

I don't think Creed even belongs in the discussion.... Entertaining movie and I liked the scenes of Philly, which I now know pretty well. But nothing Oscar-worthy about it I didn't think...

-Ray

Climb01742
02-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Spotlight is the best movie I've seen in a few years. I saw The Big Short, The Martian, Concussion, Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, and... Mad Max.

But Spotlight was the best journalism movie I've seen since All the Presidents Men and, again, I'd read the Wood/Stein book a few times and knew how it all played out, so I actually thought Spotlight was better. Just an astoundingly well done film, nothing overplayed, but incredibly well paced, a great cast of people willing to be team players on this movie.

Finally just saw 'Spotlight' this afternoon. A stunningly good film that rocks you to your core, all the more perhaps because I live here. As Ray said, nothing overplayed, no grandstanding, just brilliant acting and a step by step homage to how journalism works (worked when papers could afford to do it?). For me, at the end of the film, it was impossible not to look up and say, 'God, W_T_F?' What happened was, and sadly still is, a crime against humanity, yet priests are still protected and live in cushy digs in the Vatican. W_T_F?

buckfifty
02-06-2016, 05:02 PM

Dark Knight is probably as close as it ever got right? But I wouldn't call The Dark Knight a stupid superhero movie though...

Ray
02-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Finally just saw 'Spotlight' this afternoon. A stunningly good film that rocks you to your core, all the more perhaps because I live here. As Ray said, nothing overplayed, no grandstanding, just brilliant acting and a step by step homage to how journalism works (worked when papers could afford to do it?). For me, at the end of the film, it was impossible not to look up and say, 'God, W_T_F?' What happened was, and sadly still is, a crime against humanity, yet priests are still protected and live in cushy digs in the Vatican. W_T_F?

Yeah, it made me really wonder what would happen with a similarly horrible institutional scandal like this in the future. I can't imagine any big city paper with the possible exception of the Times and Post having the budget to be able to maintain an investigative division like the Globe had then. I don't even know - do they still have the Spotlight group?

Assuming print journalism can't do it as well, I wonder how the "instant media" of a million bloggers would handle it? In a sense maybe better just because a lot of those horrible stories would have gotten out earlier - it would be much harder to cover something like that up when bloggers aren't held to the same standards as journalists. They'd just print stuff without five levels of confirmation and it might crack this kind of thing before it gets big enough to require a full cover-up. But for something that had been covered up as well as that had been for so long, if that could still happen, I can't imagine a team of journalists having the kind of independence from deadline pressure and getting "hits" to delve that deeply into something like that.

Regardless, that movie will stay with me longer than all of this year's other movies put together...

-Ray

Climb01742
02-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Ray,

It's a question that doesn't get enough attention. The investigative journalism of newspapers has played an outsized role in America's democracy and social structure. It's hard to imagine how, outside of the Ochs-Sulzberger family who view the Times as a responsibility to the nation, any owners of newspapers carry on the heritage of 'comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable'. Maybe Jeff Bezos will be willing to subsidize the Post for awhile, but the Ochs-Sulzberger family has the weight of generations stiffing their spines. Will Bezos feel and pass on that kind of mission? Our democracy is screwed if we lose journalism.

slidey
02-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Just watched Revenant.

Remarkably tiresome, and pedestrian in every way but for its duration (should've been a short). Would be remarkably surprised to see it winning anything of consequence (Actor/Picture/Director).

I've seen 4 of this year's nominees thus far, Spotlight/Martian/Revenant/Big Short.

Spotlight is in a league of its own, and it is one of the more memorable movies I've seen as well (irrespective of year).

bicycletricycle
02-06-2016, 07:45 PM
i have heard this kind of remark about the Revenant plenty of times, curious about what you thought it was lacking, actually curious , not trying to pick a fight or anything.

Just watched Revenant.

Remarkably tiresome, and pedestrian in every way but for its duration (should've been a short). Would be remarkably surprised to see it winning anything of consequence (Actor/Picture/Director).

I've seen 4 of this year's nominees thus far, Spotlight/Martian/Revenant/Big Short.

Spotlight is in a league of its own, and it is one of the more memorable movies I've seen as well (irrespective of year).

Elefantino
02-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Ray,

It's a question that doesn't get enough attention. The investigative journalism of newspapers has played an outsized role in America's democracy and social structure. It's hard to imagine how, outside of the Ochs-Sulzberger family who view the Times as a responsibility to the nation, any owners of newspapers carry on the heritage of 'comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable'. Maybe Jeff Bezos will be willing to subsidize the Post for awhile, but the Ochs-Sulzberger family has the weight of generations stiffing their spines. Will Bezos feel and pass on that kind of mission? Our democracy is screwed if we lose journalism.
In many ways we have lost much of journalism, even at large papers like the Times and Post. So many good people have left and been replaced by much lesser lights and tighter belts.

Spotlight was an outstanding movie and, sadly, the last modern newspaper movie we will ever see.

slidey
02-06-2016, 08:23 PM
i have heard this kind of remark about the Revenant plenty of times, curious about what you thought it was lacking, actually curious , not trying to pick a fight or anything.

Sure, not misunderstanding your statement - its only a movie, after all :)

What I thought was lacking, was any semblance of empathy in the storytelling of what on face value seems to be a story purely about human connections (dad-son, loyalty, betrayal, honour, friendship, etc). The movie, to me, was more like a couple of pages out of an observer's journal (captain's log, if you will).

I found myself more emotionally moved watching just the trailer of 'Up' (disney/pixar movie) than this entire movie.

slidey
02-06-2016, 08:35 PM
In many ways we have lost much of journalism, even at large papers like the Times and Post. So many good people have left and been replaced by much lesser lights and tighter belts.

Spotlight was an outstanding movie and, sadly, the last modern newspaper movie we will ever see.

Technologically, the time of newspapers is over, nothing wrong with that. Correlating that with end of journalism is not an accurate portrayal though.

Medium has changed, but not good journalism. More specifically, for investigative journalism, I've heard good things about Vice, though can't corroborate that first-hand. However, have listened to the reporting by Reveal a few times, and find it pretty good.

https://www.revealnews.org/

Ray
02-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Technologically, the time of newspapers is over, nothing wrong with that. Correlating that with end of journalism is not an accurate portrayal though.

Medium has changed, but not good journalism. More specifically, for investigative journalism, I've heard good things about Vice, though can't corroborate that first-hand. However, have listened to the reporting by Reveal a few times, and find it pretty good.

That's kind of what I was getting at. If we'd had today's various blogs and other forms of short form journalism, not to mention Twitter and FB and so many forms of instant communication, back in the '69's and '70s when a lot of the exposed abuse was happening, the scandal might well have been exposed at the micro level before it had a chance to develop into a huge institutional scandal. I think the possibility of vast coverups are greatly reduced. That's my hope anyway...

-Ray

bicycletricycle
02-06-2016, 10:30 PM
That is true, I think I liked it because of that, brutal content, beautiful craftsmanship, austere storytelling.

A strange combination for movies But I though it was a refreshing combination of elements.

What I thought was lacking, was any semblance of empathy in the storytelling of what on face value seems to be a story purely about human connections (dad-son, loyalty, betrayal, honour, friendship, etc). The movie, to me, was more like a couple of pages out of an observer's journal (captain's log, if you will).

I found myself more emotionally moved watching just the trailer of 'Up' (disney/pixar movie) than this entire movie.

Elefantino
02-06-2016, 11:54 PM

I wasn't correlating that or didn't mean to imply that. Much but not all of good journalism has been lost in that the thoughtful, patient and often painstakingly frustrating art of buttoning down the story has been lost to instant reporting. Being right is now, in many circles, not as important as being first. I know because I've seen the transformation first-hand on many occasions in many locations. When news judgment began to be influenced by click bait - and it has in newsrooms from Walla Walla to Washington - I began to sense a loss of that which drove many of us to careers in journalism in the first place. There still is good reporting, just as there were good carriages still being built when Henry Ford's Model Ts began rolling off the assembly line. And although that was seen in its day as a giant leap of forward progress, it was not without its unforseen consequences. I believe the same holds true for journalism. Those consequences may not present themselves in my lifetime, but I believe they will at some point. The Judith Millers may become more commonplace. And we know how that turned out.

Sometimes I miss the newsroom. But more and more I'm glad I left on my own terms.

/end/major thread drift

oldpotatoe
02-07-2016, 06:13 AM

'What's an orange taste like'..yup, some people liked it, some didn't some were middle ground. My oldest son and I loved it, my younger son, 'not my kind of movie'..

It was one of the 7 original stories in all stories..there are only like 7 plots in existence.

eddief
02-07-2016, 07:47 AM
No accounting for taste. Don't be surprised when it wins.

Just watched Revenant.

slidey
02-07-2016, 11:47 AM
'What's an orange taste like'..yup, some people liked it, some didn't some were middle ground. My oldest son and I loved it, my younger son, 'not my kind of movie'.

No doubt about it - taste is merely a preference, not fact.

I am just very surprised at the quality of the movies that were nominated for BP this year. Seems to me that there is a statistically significant shift in the kinds of BP nominees this year, from that of past years, but unfortunately that shift, to me, is in the wrong direction.

CunegoFan
02-07-2016, 12:46 PM
I am just very surprised at the quality of the movies that were nominated for BP this year. Seems to me that there is a statistically significant shift in the kinds of BP nominees this year, from that of past years, but unfortunately that shift, to me, is in the wrong direction.

I liked Mad Max but I cannot see why it should be nominated. The only thing I can come up with is some kind of feminist statement by the Academy. It is a stripped down, pure action flick in a similar vein of John Wick. I really liked Wick as well but I would not expect it to be nominated as best picture. Funny enough, as little plot as John Wick had, it still had more than Mad Max.

I recently saw The Martian again. I enjoyed that movie as well, but best picture? Come on. All the characters are stand-ins for various roles. They have no depth. At least half the dialogue is exposition. This becomes painfully obvious the second viewing. The whole movie feels like a docudrama on the Discovery Channel, albeit one with a huge budget.. And Matt Damon? Well, Matt Damon is really good at playing Matt Damon.

The Oscars should have a popular entertaonment category.

milkbaby
02-07-2016, 01:22 PM
I liked Mad Max but I cannot see why it should be nominated. The only thing I can come up with is some kind of feminist statement by the Academy. It is a stripped down, pure action flick in a similar vein of John Wick. I really liked Wick as well but I would not expect it to be nominated as best picture. Funny enough, as little plot as John Wick had, it still had more than Mad Max.

I disagree with you, Mad Max Fury Road actually had quite a number of important individual stories going on in what is disguised as a long car chase. All the protagonists undergo growth and transformation throughout the story in a natural and believable way. Nix is the least discussed but perhaps the most pertinent today as he is transformed from a religious fundamentalist who is willing to kill and die for his god into a person who discovers connectedness to other people and is willing to die for somebody he loves, a change from the dogmatic fundamentalist to the intensely personal and loving human.

Furiosa is the true believer who initially succeeds because of the strength of her faith but then is tested by a crisis of faith. Max is haunted by guilt and loss, reduced to an animal instinct to simply survive, but finds redemption through action and connectedness to other people again even though that is what hurt him the most to begin with - maybe a good message for much of today's society who are seemingly born, work, and just waiting to die. The brides undergo a transformation from meek escapees considered chattel into independent and forceful individuals each recognizing their own strengths and worthiness. It is through both their individual action and their banding together as a group that they realize their potential as people, not simply property. And of course there is the positive feminism embodied by both the brides and the mothers; they are not against men but simply for standing up for themselves.

And the best part is all these things are not blatantly obvious preachery (is that a word? LOL) by the director/writer whereas lesser films would feel like they were beating you over the head with their "big message". The film works perfectly fine as an exciting action flick yet also has all these other layers, and that is why it's been my favorite movie of the last year. Similarly sneaky in addressing many different themes as The Matrix.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Elefantino
02-07-2016, 01:26 PM
My wife has now seen all eight nominees, too (we just watched "Bridge of Spies," me for the second time), and she says "Room" should win.

buckfifty
02-07-2016, 02:07 PM
My wife has now seen all eight nominees, too (we just watched "Bridge of Spies," me for the second time), and she says "Room" should win.

I loved Room but I don't know see it winning Best Picture. Definitely see Brie Larson winning Best Actress though

slidey
02-07-2016, 03:05 PM

I recently saw The Martian again. I enjoyed that movie as well, but best picture? Come on. All the characters are stand-ins for various roles. They have no depth. At least half the dialogue is exposition. This becomes painfully obvious the second viewing. The whole movie feels like a docudrama on the Discovery Channel, albeit one with a huge budget.. And Matt Damon? Well, Matt Damon is really good at playing Matt Damon.

The Oscars should have a popular entertaonment category.

Haha, see, no wonder this is such a subjective topic of discussion.

I thought, "The Martian" to be very good. I was able to relate/draw inspiration from the enterprising/persistent attitude of the protagonist very much.

fuzzalow
02-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Finally saw The Revenant. I found it to be a great work of cinema and the craft of movie making. I cannot foresee how this film is not an absolute lock for best cinematography. Superb crafting of all color footage but conveyed dramatically and monochromatically with the emotion of black & white and yet still never straying into stylistic pastiche of film-noire. Just superb.

Best Picture Oscar is another story, even though of the major contenders (Spotlight, Big Short, Martian) Revenant for me was the Best Picture film. Revenant's Director Iñárritu is certainly on a roll although I did not see or have any interest in his winning BP and Best Director last year with Birdman. But as a director IMO Iñárritu exhibits more narrative power in his craft, than for example Terrence Malick had ever shown, for control of his medium and will ripple influence for years to come.

Best Picture will go to The Big Short because it tells a tale. The politics of The Acedemy I can't see allowing Iñárritu to win two years in a row.

Speaking of politics, I think the Acedemy expanded the BP nominees as a means to remain relevant to a younger audience but as cinema, stuff like Mad Max is not intended or crafted as anything other than action blockbuster movie and can't really compete in this league. It was just dilutive to the category. Some thing with Creed, just rubbish. There is a huge thematic difference between Rocky, in winning BP years ago, and Creed in being rebooting what they think is the same formula. They are not remotely similar.

Elefantino
02-28-2016, 11:27 PM
So Oscar® got it mostly right this year. Although I liked "The Big Short" better, "Spotlight" was a deserving winner. The last time newspaper journalism will ever be featured in a movie, so it went out with a bang.

One nit: That totally horse bleep song that won, from "Spectre." If it weren't for Madonna's fingers-on-a-blackboard, cat-strangling attempt for "Die Another Day" this year's winner would be remembered as the worst song in Bond history.

Also sad to see Roger Deakins go 0-for-13. He is a film giant who disappears into his movies. Chivo tends to be a "look at me!!" type of cinematographer but you can't argue with three wins in a row.

Gsinill
02-29-2016, 08:26 AM
So Oscar® got it mostly right this year.

Yep, at least for me.

"Spotlight" was fantastic and even though I haven't seen "The Revenant" there seems to be general consensus that DiCaprio deserved it.

Glad Mark Rylance as Rudolf Abel in "Bridge of Spies" won his for best supporting actor, great performance.

goonster
02-29-2016, 08:41 AM
I've heard good things about Vice,

If you like Vice, you'll love EDGE! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWVNDfDSE44)

FlashUNC
02-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Fury Road is proof a "genre" film will never win Best Picture.

Lewis Moon
02-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Fury Road is proof a "genre" film will never win Best Picture.

But it didn't get best picture because it wasn't the best picture (IMHO).
I haven't taken the Oscars seriously since "Shakespeare In Love" won over "The Thin Red Line" and "Elizabeth".

weisan
04-26-2016, 01:11 AM
Sorry to drag this old thread up again...I just finished watching "Spotlight."

It's brilliant, in so many ways.

The obvious and probably most common and straightforward interpretation of the movie is: Huge cover up by the powers that be and at every level. The whole system is corrupt. How could they even do such a thing?!! Despicable to say the least.

Another observation that can be made, and would make more sense if you are at all familiar or associated with the Church, its history and its teachings...

Jesus was killed under the order of the High Priest because he was deemed as a serious threat to the Establishment. So, in the name of protecting the Institution, it was "justifiable" killing.

In the same manner, the top echelon of the Church and their accomplice justified keeping the "truth" under wraps, shuffling the errant priests around and silencing their victims...because again, the Institution is too important as many people depended on it (repeated several times in the movie), and thus, has to be protected AT ALL COSTS.

The KEY to solving this seemingly inexplicable and unconscionably corrupt line of logic or reasoning still remains to be the poignant words left by a Man more than two thousand years ago...

"Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up again."

peanutgallery
04-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Spotlight.

Out in my neck of the woods they just shut down a pedaphile priest ring in Johnstown, PA that had been covered up and pushed under the rug for 40 years. The numbers are staggering and the situations that kids were subjected to are revolting - with the full knowledge of the priests that were managing the diocese.

Pretty sure that most US dioceses would whither under even the most cursory investigation. Even the little ones

oldpotatoe
04-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Spotlight.

Out in my neck of the woods they just shut down a pedaphile priest ring in Johnstown, PA that had been covered up and pushed under the rug for 40 years. The numbers are staggering and the situations that kids were subjected to are revolting - with the full knowledge of the priests that were managing the diocese.

Pretty sure that most US dioceses would whither under even the most cursory investigation. Even the little ones

How medieval..just let priests marry..same or opposite sex. Not religious in any way but I just don't get it. IMHO, of course. Sorry for the drift.

Elefantino
04-26-2016, 09:04 AM
"Spotlight" should have won for best costume design. We all dressed like that - khakis, button-down shirts - for years.

FlashUNC
04-26-2016, 09:13 AM
"Spotlight" should have won for best costume design. We all dressed like that - khakis, button-down shirts - for years.

An Oscar for shopping the sale rack at JC Penney's and getting cheap haircuts? Hogwash sir.

Now where did I put my Dockers...

weisan
04-26-2016, 09:14 AM
How medieval..just let priests marry..same or opposite sex. Not religious in any way but I just don't get it. IMHO, of course. Sorry for the drift.

That may or may not solve the problem, old pal.
Outside of the religious context, pedophiles come from all sorts of backgrounds including "happily married" adults.

There's no simple solution or magic bullet.

Only extreme measure.

It takes Death to kill death.

Sorry to digress, wasn't my intention. I am off this thread now.

Seramount
04-26-2016, 09:32 AM
I recently watched Spotlight too...

a truly important story regarding corruption and debased morals within the church.

but, I didn't find the movie to be that riveting. solid acting, interesting, sure...but imo not 'best picture' material.

in a similar vein, the revelation of corruption in the financial world, The Big Short was as equally well-crafted but more watchable as entertainment...I would have voted for it for BP.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Outside of the religious context, pedophiles come from all sorts of backgrounds including "happily married" adults.

Only extreme measure.

I understand that if a priest could marry, whomever, pedophilia in the church wouldn't' be erased...the whole concept is beyond me is all.

Ray
04-26-2016, 02:27 PM

Only extreme measure.

That's true, but how many examples are there of "happily married" adults who are sexually repressed gays (or straights for that matter) who end up taking out that repression on those defenseless kids who can give them what they want without fighting back? Whether highly esteemed football coaches, speakers of the house, members of the clergy, etc, the examples are all too common.

I'm hoping, not betting but hoping, that as the society opens up to gay and trans people, there will be less repression and less need to act out in such unhealthy ways against young victims. I may have this all wrong - I don't know much of the science behind it. But it seems pretty intuitive to me. I'm sure there will still be SOME people who feel the need to get their rocks off with defenseless kids - I don't think the problem will ever be completely eradicated, but I'd hope the numbers will come way WAY down. Then again, this doesn't explain the number of child predators who abuse kids of the opposite sex, so I probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about...

BTW, I also saw both Spotlight and The Big Short and found Spotlight far more riveting and well worthy of best picture. Then again, I'd already read Michael Lewis' The Big Short and the book was so overwhelmingly great that the movie suffered a bit in comparison, so that may well have colored my impression of their relative merits...

-Ray

cloudguy
04-26-2016, 05:34 PM
I'm hoping, not betting but hoping, that as the society opens up to gay and trans people, there will be less repression and less need to act out in such unhealthy ways against young victims. I may have this all wrong - I don't know much of the science behind it. But it seems pretty intuitive to me. I'm sure there will still be SOME people who feel the need to get their rocks off with defenseless kids - I don't think the problem will ever be completely eradicated, but I'd hope the numbers will come way WAY down. Then again, this doesn't explain the number of child predators who abuse kids of the opposite sex, so I probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about...

I've read recently that attraction to children for some pedophiles may due more to biological hard-wiring, as opposed to them "acting out" in response to repression of homosexual tendencies. Obviously, if true, this raises questions about tolerance and the seeming tendency of our culture to now say all forms of sexual/gender orientation are OK.

Chris
04-26-2016, 08:06 PM
That's true, but how many examples are there of "happily married" adults who are sexually repressed gays (or straights for that matter) who end up taking out that repression on those defenseless kids who can give them what they want without fighting back? Whether highly esteemed football coaches, speakers of the house, members of the clergy, etc, the examples are all too common.

BTW, I also saw both Spotlight and The Big Short and found Spotlight far more riveting and well worthy of best picture. Then again, I'd already read Michael Lewis' The Big Short and the book was so overwhelmingly great that the movie suffered a bit in comparison, so that may well have colored my impression of their relative merits...

-Ray

Whoa! I know you didn't intend it this way, but pedophilia is not repressed homosexuality looking for defenseless victims. There are plenty of willing adults to participate in illicit affairs. Plenty of "heterosexual" married people carry on homosexual affairs with other willing adults.

Pedophilia is a separate pathology that is completely unrelated to sexual orientation. The priesthood has a disproportionate sexual deviance because (ATMO) the idea of a vow of celibacy and God eliminating the desire for sex with a child is the last hope for a sizeable many who know who they are and are seeking anything they can to resist, only to be confronted with easy access and originally trusting parents. The other chunk of abusers in the priesthood are likely more malicious and looking for a target rich environment.

weisan
04-26-2016, 09:57 PM
I appreciate others chiming in on the "subject".

Those of you who are reading these and thinking "huh? I thought this is about the Oscar???", I understand why you think that but I also ask that you extend some patience to your pals who are involved in this side conversation. Your turn will come some day as well.

I know I have said before, I am off the thread but my pals brought up some really good points and I would like to throw in one last thought.

We tend to look for straight lines and linear explanations. We like connecting the dots and derive some kind of logic to help us understand and explain the world that we live in.

May I suggest something here?

That doesn't always pan out.

There are certain extreme situations or phenomenon that exist whereby the only possible explanation is: Utter insanity. Complete madness. Total darkness. Absolute chaos. It defies any reason or logic except to acknowledge that it's truly broken in every sense of the word.

It's hard to fathom why a man in the cloth would do such harm to the very people they have sworn to protect and to serve. Well, it's the same with law enforcement and elected officials, why should we be surprised? We only wish it wasn't true.

Sometimes, we are forced to re-define the extent of our dark side.
The reverse is true as well. Sometimes, the skeptics and cynics among us are confronted by the extent of kindness and humanity displayed before us in the least expected places.

To both, we must say "yes".

Ray
04-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Whoa! I know you didn't intend it this way, but pedophilia is not repressed homosexuality looking for defenseless victims. There are plenty of willing adults to participate in illicit affairs. Plenty of "heterosexual" married people carry on homosexual affairs with other willing adults.

Pedophilia is a separate pathology that is completely unrelated to sexual orientation. The priesthood has a disproportionate sexual deviance because (ATMO) the idea of a vow of celibacy and God eliminating the desire for sex with a child is the last hope for a sizeable many who know who they are and are seeking anything they can to resist, only to be confronted with easy access and originally trusting parents. The other chunk of abusers in the priesthood are likely more malicious and looking for a target rich environment.

Thanks for clarifying - I was tossing out one possible theory that seemed logical to me on one level, but I know that it was over-simplified and that pedophilia is its own condition, not tied to sexuality... I still wonder, though, (not contend, just wonder) if reduced sexual repression in a society will eventually result in a reduction in pedophilia, whether same sex or opposite sex...

-Ray

Chris
04-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks for clarifying - I was tossing out one possible theory that seemed logical to me on one level, but I know that it was over-simplified and that pedophilia is its own condition, not tied to sexuality... I still wonder, though, (not contend, just wonder) if reduced sexual repression in a society will eventually result in a reduction in pedophilia, whether same sex or opposite sex...

-Ray

I don't know the answer to that and I don't know that we ever will. My speculation is that the answer is no. Whether that is the rape of adults or children, the one thing in common is that one participant is not consenting. Sexual assault is just that; assault. Rape and molestation are acts of violence and domination.

pbarry
04-27-2016, 08:19 PM
I don't know the answer to that and I don't know that we ever will. My speculation is that the answer is no. Whether that is the rape of adults or children, the one thing in common is that one participant is not consenting. Sexual assault is just that; assault. Rape and molestation are acts of violence and domination.

Good comments, Chris, and well said.

holliscx
04-28-2016, 01:33 AM
Thought Revenant was best picture, Big Short runner up, and Spotlight an important film but not in best picture conversation.

Watching in the theater Revenant had that je ne sais quois worthy of best picture and BS was smart, original, and fun to watch.

rustychisel
04-28-2016, 03:07 AM

Thank you Chris, your posts are a model of reason. They say what needs be said, whilst remaining respectful in reply.

It proves to me we can - as a community - discuss issues like this on the forum without attracting the automatic lockdown.

Now, I downloaded Revenant a few days ago and suppose I might watch it tonight. Somehow I just don't feel the urge to do so. Di Caprio overload?