PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dirt Bikes - which one?

mtflycaster
05-30-2006, 11:21 AM
OK...

I know some of you guys/gals are also interested in the motorized version of two wheels, Ducatis, etc.

I've owned three different street bikes in the distant past (up to an 800cc BMW), but am currently bikeless and have been for about the last 10 years. However, I am interested now in getting a dirt bike to ride logging and 4WD roads around here. Nothing too technical. Been doing some research.

There have apparently been some big advances in bikes the last 6 or 8 years. Better suspensions. More power. Scary power. And that's my question.

Bikes like the KTM 450exc and Honda CRF450x are tempting. Hot bikes. But given I'm just getting into it, are they really TOO much bike? I also understand that they require higher maintenance than some of the older bikes.

An alternative for might be an older tech and more docile and bulletproof Honda xr400. Or, should I even start smaller than that?

Anyway, I know their are other forums out there dedicated to this topic, but I thought I'd ask my fellow Serotta forumites, whom I know and trust. :-)

Thanks...

Pete

christian
05-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I've owned a KTM 640 Adventure and a Honda thumper, and had the good fortune to ride everything from a XR400R to a KTM 950 Adventure and a BMW HP2.

I think you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1) Realistically, what % of riding will be on dirt/pavement?
2) How far do you want to ride on the average day? The longest day?
3) Any touring, or will you sleep at home every night?

- Christian

jitahs
05-30-2006, 11:27 PM
xr400 a great choice--always starts, tractable power. It's a Honda, fer cxsakes.

I have a ktm 200exc--very light, 'cept when it's on top of you. Minus? 2-stroke: check your local listings if legal. Little bike agile bike=good, same mantra as bike bikes.

p.s. Most new motos are too friggin' fast

jckid
05-31-2006, 10:18 AM
You can't go wrong with a Honda XR or CRF. I ride an XR and my husband rides a Suzuki DRZ. The Honda is far superior to the DRZ in both power and reliability.

Depending on your where you live, you should check into a Baja Designs dual sport kit. We installed their kits on both of our bikes, but they no longer allow such conversions in California. We set ours up before the law changed.

Anyway, the dual sport kits opened up a bunch of new riding options for us. Now we can ride fire roads, single-track mountain trails, and then use paved roads to connect up to other trails. We're actually dual-registered with street licenses and green stickers. If you get an off-highway only bike, you are really limiting your riding options.

obtuse
05-31-2006, 10:52 AM
harley xr750.

72gmc
05-31-2006, 11:34 AM
i grew up on Suzukis and Yamahas. But my older friend and inspiration to ride dirt bikes always rode Hondas... plus Bob Hannah, Johnny O and Danny "Magoo" Chandler... I still want a Honda. KTM would be co-leader of my list.

350- to 450-ish size should keep the weight down, and they're prob'ly plenty fast. I'd also go new. I would always wonder what I was missing if I didn't.

Ken Robb
05-31-2006, 12:02 PM
I had a mildly tweaked Suzuki DR350 a few years ago. FMF exhaust, re-jetted carb, bigger entry hole into the air-box and it was a sweet runner that would top 80mph and cruise just fine at 70mph on the highway. It didn't weigh too much more than 275lbs as it was a kick-start only model.

I sold it to a pal who had Billy Silverthorn put a 400c kit on it and had the fork legs nitrided or tefloned to make them super slick and had other pros rework the suspension front and rear. When I rode it after this work it was truly glorious. When the new Suzuki DR 400 came out he bought one and gave the DR 350 to his son. Both are still going strong but he likes the new bike btter overall. This guy finished the Baja 500 and 1000 races so he knows a good bike from a bad one.

I think Kawasaki has the same bike with different graphics if that gets you to a better dealer. Either of these would be great around town bikes for teir ease of slipping through traffic and their high head-up seating position. Heck I'm starting to want one myself.

Having said all that, I ride all kinds of dirt roads on my BMW R1100R just like I used to do on Triumph 500 and 650 twins in the 1960 and 70s. Nothing too technical but if it's a reasonably graded dirt road it's fine.

pale scotsman
05-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Have you ridden todays dirt bikes? A buddy has the '06 CRF450R (http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/CRF450R_2005.jpg) and I've ridden it. It scares the crap out of me. Way too much power for a duffer like me. Unless you are planning on racing and actually know what you are doing a 250 four stroke is all you need.

My brother has a '98 CR250 and while it's fast the new bikes are baaaaaad. Lots of people step right into too much bike so be careful.

L84dinr
05-31-2006, 12:32 PM
A good bike, a little old but still great... A Honda XR250. As stated earlier, install a Baja Designs light kit and travel to your hearts content on paved/non paved roads. Also the XR250 is very easy to bump up in displacement and there are tons of upgrades. The only down side is kick start, once you get the hang of it no problemo; and too some it is heavy, but rides like a couch on two wheels!

Best bet is the Yamaha WR250F. An all around great bike. Electric start to boot! A seriously Fun dirt bike for racing, and funning around on.

mtflycaster
05-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Great advice, all.

So, anyone got an XR400, XR250 or wr250 for sale?

:-)

L84dinr
06-01-2006, 07:22 AM
I have a 2001 Honda XR250, equipped with a pro-circuit "muffler" (repackable, right now loud as all get out) and an Edelbrock Qwicksilver carb. Head has been milled about 10 thou and the intake/exhaust ports have been lightly worked/cleaned up. Other than that it is stock. Since getting the head milled I run 93 octane thru the fuel tank. Like new tires and brakes. A fun bike to ride, but I find my self riding my daughters xr50 more, lol. PM with an email for pix and more info if you are interested.

christian
06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
but I find my self riding my daughters xr50 more, lol.

Seriously. I had a chance to ride a DRZ110 at a friend's house, and suddenly, all I think about are minibikes...

- Christian

jckid
06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Seriously. I had a chance to ride a DRZ110 at a friend's house, and suddenly, all I think about are minibikes...

- Christian

Yep, minibikes are a blast! My husband and I have a matching pair of 1970 Honda CT70's (Trail 70's), a 1982 CT70, an XR100 and a DRZ125L. I'd love to add a Honda 50 Minitrail, an XR/CRF50, and a Trail 90, but unfortunately we're out of space.

Here's a picture of my XR100 with Baja Designs dual sport kit. I've modified it with a lot of BBR parts too. I'm short and lightweight, so it makes a great trail bike for me.