PDA

View Full Version : Rapha fit question - beaten to death / general Rapha fit thread v9.7

ColnagoFan
12-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Going from the Lightweight bibs to the Pro Team, keep the same size yes? I should probably use the search, but these threads ALWAYS pop up anew whenever a new sale hits.

So, thanks in advance...

bcroslin
12-24-2015, 02:19 PM
pro team are tighter than the classics and the super light weight. with that said, I wear the same size in both. pro team are supposed to be tight.

sw3759
12-24-2015, 02:28 PM
+1 i'll echo what bcroslin just said.same results for me..same size in both just a little tighter
hey,did someone say RAPHA SALE???

kitsnob
12-24-2015, 06:48 PM
For about the same $$ you can get MUCH better quality in the Q36.5 line of cycle goods.
Even ASSOS IMO is better than Rapha ..
Just my .02

makoti
12-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Going from the Lightweight bibs to the Pro Team, keep the same size yes? I should probably use the search, but these threads ALWAYS pop up anew whenever a new sale hits.

So, thanks in advance...

Am I missing a sale?!

Spdntrxi
12-24-2015, 07:05 PM
For about the same $$ you can get MUCH better quality in the Q36.5 line of cycle goods.

Just my .02

Why? My 2 cents is the opposite

For the op stay with same size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uber
12-25-2015, 07:57 AM
I spoke to A Papha rep a few months back. He said that many riders could be happy with the fit in a two size range. The Pro bib shorts in Large fit me much better than the Classic Bib in Large. If I were to try the Classic again, I would size down to Medium. Hope this helps.

oldpotatoe
12-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Just my .02

:help:

Here we go. Assos, besides the goofy sizing and weird copy, feels like wearing a couple of diapers to me. My Rapha are the best bibs I have ever had. Classic bibs.

PLUS Q36.5 are at least $100 more than Rapha..300 EUROS vs about low-mid $200 for Rapha

joosttx
12-25-2015, 08:29 AM

Here we go. Assos, besides the goofy sizing and weird copy, feels like wearing a couple of diapers to me. My Rapha are the best bibs I have ever had. Classic bibs.

PLUS Q36.5 are at least $100 more than Rapha..300 EUROS vs about low-mid $200 for Rapha

Man, you got to try the q36.5 I would argue they are about $100 more durable than Rapha too.

oldpotatoe
12-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Man, you got to try the q36.5 I would argue they are about $100 more durable than Rapha too.

That may be but $358 is a 'bit' more than I want to spend(plus shipping) and I am VERY happy with the Rapha. Can't believe the Q36.5 are 40% 'better', gonna last 40% longer so...last 10 years instead of 7??..course they do weigh 160g..who weighs their bibs??

jlwdm
12-25-2015, 09:13 AM

How can they be $100 more durable? My Rapha and Assos last forever.

Q36.5 also needs to make all black bibs before I will try them.

Jeff

OtayBW
12-25-2015, 09:21 AM

Here we go. Assos, besides the goofy sizing and weird copy, feels like wearing a couple of diapers to me. My Rapha are the best bibs I have ever had. Classic bibs. OldP - I hate thick chamois myself, and I've never really been all that enamoured with Assos bibs. That said, the new Assos S7 Equipe works so well for me that I bought a 2nd pair for the season - especially with the sale price at Ribble. Sizing is indeed goofy, but if you can figure out what you need, they are really nice bibs, IMO...

bcroslin
12-25-2015, 11:09 AM
That may be but $358 is a 'bit' more than I want to spend(plus shipping) and I am VERY happy with the Rapha. Can't believe the Q36.5 are 40% 'better', gonna last 40% longer so...last 10 years instead of 7??..course they do weigh 160g..who weighs their bibs??

The Potatoe has spoken.

Merry Xmas!

Lovetoclimb
12-25-2015, 11:33 AM
My Rapha bib fit breakdown, may or may not be of any help ....

Classics: Medium; comfortable, still a good fit with minimal stretching or looseness after 3 years and 1 crash & repair

Classic Thermal: Medium; just got a pair of these on sale recently and I like them. Very close fit to the classics with a bit more restriction likely due to the double layer fabric. Better deal than the PT thermal when they're both on sale IMO.

Pro Team: Large; great initial fit, but 1 pair I have had for 2 years is sagging noticeably in the rear, another even older is not, and all 3 pair of varying age showing signs of the black fabric fading to various degrees. My favorite bibs they make but somewhat inconsistent and a hard sell at $290/pair.

Pro Team Lightweight: Medium; tried a large pair and they were significantly more loose than the regular PT of the same size and generation

Pro Team Thermal: Large; 2 pair, 1 is 3 winters old, another is only 1 winter old. Great fit with a bit more stretch than the regular pro team, maybe because the legs are longer ... the old pair has some threads coming loose and is definitely tighter than the newer pair somehow

Lightweight: Medium (short length); just ordered a pair from the Archive Sale and they feel good in medium if even a bit restrictive in the legs. But closer to the Classic fit and finish than the PT. Have not worn on the bike yet

jr59
12-25-2015, 12:26 PM
The Potatoe has spoken.

Merry Xmas!

Seems to me that not all that long ago, he did not own any.

joosttx
12-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Jeff

My Rapha Pros started showing wear in less than a year. The logos on the legs started cracking and coming off. The q36.5 fit similar to the Rapha pros and don't have a thick chamois.

The Q36.5 bibs are priced at $299.00.

http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/shop/mens/bibs-shorts/q36-5-salopette-l1-essential-bib.html

You should try them. I think you would like them

oldpotatoe
12-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Seems to me that not all that long ago, he did not own any.

Won a pair after winning a Giro bet...glad I asked for them, no mas other brands from here on out. Same for jerseys.

kitsnob
12-25-2015, 01:52 PM

Jeff

Q36.5 does make an all black .. In fact they make 2 in all black. The top end Salopette L1 and the mid line Miles Gregarious. The Miles comes in 2 versions. All black and black with green leg bands.
My experience with Rapha is that each and every piece of clothing I have owned has had issues.
From stitching coming undone on the pad in my Pro Teams to material delaminating and becoming 'sheer' on another pair to a pro team jersey that had the stitching start to 'ladder'
Yes, all these issues were warrantable and Rapha customer service is TOP NOTCH and responsive BUT the price you pay and the quality you get just don't go together. IMO
It might be designed in London but has anyone ever noticed it's assembled in China?
I have been a long time fan of Assos from their S2 to the S5 and now onto the S7 line. Each pair has lasted me numerous seasons and I don't mind paying for the quality of the product.
I've had the Q36.5 for the past 2 seasons and I have had NO issues. Yes, it's pricey and at the higher end of the spectrum but to me, it's well worth it.
Don't get me wrong, Rapha is fine for a large group of us but for me, it just wasn't a good 'fit' (No pun intended) as their fit was always spot on for me:
5'10' 162lbs 34 waist and MEDIUM was always spot on.
There is an Italian site (all4cycling.com) that stocks Q36.5 as well as Assos and their pricing can't be beat!
Cheers!

ColnagoFan
12-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Am I missing a sale?!

Yup it's on now! Damn timing and Xmas stole all my "expendable" income, but I might somehow swing a kit as it's hard to pass up...

ColnagoFan
12-25-2015, 09:46 PM
My Rapha bib fit breakdown, may or may not be of any help ....

Classics: Medium; comfortable, still a good fit with minimal stretching or looseness after 3 years and 1 crash & repair

Classic Thermal: Medium; just got a pair of these on sale recently and I like them. Very close fit to the classics with a bit more restriction likely due to the double layer fabric. Better deal than the PT thermal when they're both on sale IMO.

Pro Team: Large; great initial fit, but 1 pair I have had for 2 years is sagging noticeably in the rear, another even older is not, and all 3 pair of varying age showing signs of the black fabric fading to various degrees. My favorite bibs they make but somewhat inconsistent and a hard sell at $290/pair.

Pro Team Lightweight: Medium; tried a large pair and they were significantly more loose than the regular PT of the same size and generation

Pro Team Thermal: Large; 2 pair, 1 is 3 winters old, another is only 1 winter old. Great fit with a bit more stretch than the regular pro team, maybe because the legs are longer ... the old pair has some threads coming loose and is definitely tighter than the newer pair somehow

Lightweight: Medium (short length); just ordered a pair from the Archive Sale and they feel good in medium if even a bit restrictive in the legs. But closer to the Classic fit and finish than the PT. Have not worn on the bike yet

This is perfect, thanks! Might drop the coin for a PT kit as I love the jerseys, and I have some Classic and a few LW bibs, try something new maybe...

NTMAD8R22
12-27-2015, 01:19 PM
I wear a lot of Rapha. I wear the same size in proteam as i do in regular. However, proteam is much tighter.

fyi - The aero proteam is the only rapha thing that I had to get a size up in.