PDA

View Full Version : Cycling from San Fran to Tijuana?

gmonster
12-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Cool video... my question is has anyone biked from San Fran to Tijuana? Is it something cyclists regularly do?

roadholland.com/blogs/news/82180868-a-fun-ride-down-highway-1-san-francisco-to-tijuana

vqdriver
12-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Down the coast is beautiful riding, if sketchy at times.
Dunno if I'd go past the border tho.

svelocity
12-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Baja mex is fine but I would skip TJ. I mean TJ is fine and there are nice people there but it's a crazy town for the uninitiated. Much of what we hear in the US about Mexico is just the bad stuff. The reality is it's a great place. They do have a great bike scene down there though. Rosarito and Ensenada are easy overnight spots... I had a couple of friends who biked to Cabo San Lucas from San Diego. They only issue they had was in La Paz with the police. Apparently you are supposed to have a travel pass and they did not. After they told the police how far they rode the police just laughed and they let the "crazy gringos" to keep riding.

If you need a somewhere to sleep in San Diego let me know.

Cheers!

ptourkin
12-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Baja mex is fine but I would skip TJ. I mean TJ is fine and there are nice people there but it's a crazy town for the uninitiated. Much of what we hear in the US about Mexico is just the bad stuff. The reality is it's a great place. They do have a great bike scene down there though. Rosarito and Ensenada are easy overnight spots... I had a couple of friends who biked to Cabo San Lucas from San Diego. They only issue they had was in La Paz with the police. Apparently you are supposed to have a travel pass and they did not. After they told the police how far they rode the police just laughed and they let the "crazy gringos" to keep riding.

If you need a somewhere to sleep in San Diego let me know.

Cheers!

I recommend you sleep at ^^^his^^^ house and use the Cycling the Pacific Coast book rather than the ACA maps for your route. The book is great and has everything you need. Tijuana is fine - I ride down there during the day and at night. You can get south of it fairly easily for more coastal cycling.

And yes, the Pacific Coast route is very popular for touring cyclists. You can do it as a camping tourer or credit card style. Between SF and SD, there isn't a ton of climbing, so you can get it done pretty fast.