PDA

View Full Version : semi ot: photo hosting site?

vqdriver
12-23-2015, 12:27 PM
i've been hosting all my ride pics and merch for sale on photobucket due to the size limitations of attachments. but for some reason beyond me, photobucket has gotten reeeaaally slow. can't upload pics or navigate between folders anymore. my plug ins are updated and i've tried on firefox as well as IE. don't think it's a browser issue.

it's kinda lame with all the ads now anyway.
the best thing about it was that the navigation was super easy and they didn't limit views.
can't really complain too much since it's a free service. but an unusable free service is just as useless.

what other free hosting sites should i consider? fwiw, i don't use it to share among friends and family. just for online forums and such.

tuscanyswe
12-23-2015, 12:30 PM
www.flickr.com is a very nice photo site imo. Never liked photo bucket. Not as a user nor a viewer. Always seemed laggy and slow.

Flickr has some nice features and is easy to set up albums and such. For some reason the made it harder to find the link to embed pictures on forums and such but option is still there ofc so once you know where to find it..

coffeecake
12-23-2015, 02:41 PM
imgur works for me when i need a solution that is quick and dirty .

OtayBW
12-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Hate Photobucket.
Thank-you. :D

tumbler
12-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Google Photos works really well. Free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080P. The iPhone App is also very good (I'm sure Android is at least as good) and can be set to sync automatically (which works as a good backup for all those pictures on your phone). I migrated all of my photos off my old, crappy NAS drive to Google Photos and now have easy access to them anywhere and on any device.

Google can definitely be creepy at times, but their stuff works and in terms of security and stability, they have a pretty good record.

nighthawk
12-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Google Photos works really well. Free, unlimited storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and videos up to 1080P. The iPhone App is also very good (I'm sure Android is at least as good) and can be set to sync automatically (which works as a good backup for all those pictures on your phone). I migrated all of my photos off my old, crappy NAS drive to Google Photos and now have easy access to them anywhere and on any device.

Google can definitely be creepy at times, but their stuff works and in terms of security and stability, they have a pretty good record.

Picasa, right? That's what I use via my gmail account.

downtube
12-23-2015, 03:40 PM
I have been on Flicker for years and find it is a great site and easy to use. No complaints. chuck

grawk
12-23-2015, 03:43 PM
imgur and flickr are my choices, for disposable and keeper images, respectively

velomonkey
12-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Flickr and done.

denapista
12-23-2015, 03:56 PM
photobucket is like using AOL mail in 2015.

Flickr is the go to site for photo uploading and web sharing. It has all of the options for posting to websites, etc.

tumbler
12-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Picasa, right? That's what I use via my gmail account.

Google Photos is a newer cloud-based service that was released this summer. It's a standalone product that was spun off from the photo sharing features in Google+ (which never really tookoff). Check it out... https://www.google.com/photos

pinkshogun
12-23-2015, 04:29 PM
im on ipernity. im not computer savvy and can navigate pretty well

fkelly
12-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Picasaweb was Google's first effort. Superseded by Google+ which in turn was "deprecated" in favor of Photos. Picasaweb still works, right alongside Google Photos and both "point at" the same set of photos but have different viewing features. Photos is not fully-baked at this point, there are things you can do in Picasaweb, such as show your albums in alphabetic order, that Photos can't do.

Picasa is a desktop (computer) application that is free from Google. Best approach I've found is to manage your photos in Picasa and upload them to Photos/Picasaweb (same thing) then use those applications for viewing and sharing on the web.

There is a good desktop application named Juicebox for creating galleries of photos. It can also connect to Flickr and other web sharing services. I'm using it to put galleries on a Drupal web site. I guess that's enough acronyms for today :)

FlashUNC
12-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Flickr. You get a terabyte of space.

kramnnim
12-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Weirdo waving the M$ flag here, but my phone auto uploads to Onedrive and I like it well enough. I guess they did cut the storage down a bit due to abuse...