PDA

View Full Version : Naked Carbon Fork? Aesthetics Question.

ANAO
12-23-2015, 09:18 AM
I'm talking to my builder about what we're going to do with the fork. When he worked at Spooky, leaving the fork raw was de rigueur.
This is not my frame, but this is what the spookys often looked like:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz5pltHI0w1qaythmo1_1280.jpg

We're powdercoating the frame, and we can wet-paint the fork to match. Or, not. The frame is S3 tubing with a 44mm HT. I think paint will be a playboy blue with white decals (single color) and the fork is a Columbus Grammy which currently looks like this:

http://d2plslj6xljffa.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/px/950x600_constWH/FOCOGCMN_P1.jpg?v=s

I'm leaning towards "Playboy Blue" for the paint:
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/uploaded/public/4e94b0b9a57120.69214748.jpg

shovelhd
12-23-2015, 09:21 AM
I'd paint the fork to match.

adrien
12-23-2015, 09:40 AM
I like painted forks, but not necessarily to match. Hence my choice on this.

Also -- I am a fan of a thin layer of helicopter tape on the fork, to keep chips at bay.

FlashUNC
12-23-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't think its necessary, and didn't on my newest bike. Though I guess it depends on what you're shooting for too.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/406/18943548114_6ae51591ef_b.jpg

tumbler
12-23-2015, 09:42 AM
I would paint it to match.

benb
12-23-2015, 09:52 AM
If it's not painted I'd rather see it have the cosmetic top layer of carbon + clearcoat instead of this flat black mat stuff.

These flat black forks ARE painted AFAICT, they're just not painted in any way that matches or looks good... if the frame was also painted with a matte paintjob maybe it'd be fine.

E.x. Specialized has a bunch of bikes that have both a matte black frame & fork that match.. those look good. Glossy colored frame + matte black fork is not so great IMO.

TimD
12-23-2015, 09:57 AM
On my blue / matte Ti Legend, I'd rather the unpainted fork be blue.

On my black Ottrott, the fork looks OK unpainted.

My $0.02.

tuscanyswe
12-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Depends on what frame and what color. I very much like a non painted fork on some frames. It definitely puts more focus on the frame imo which can be a good thing on a special frame / color.

kevinvc
12-23-2015, 10:05 AM
I prefer the naked look over painted unless the fork is too "busy" with logos, lettering, etc. ENVE forks look good to me, especially when paired with ENVE rims.

This fork has too much going on for me, especially with the splashes of red that will clash with the purple frame, and I think it would look better either painted to match or plain black.

Just one man's opinion...

christian
12-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Enve forks must always be painted.

That fork is busy and has red on it. Ergo, it should also be painted.

ultraman6970
12-23-2015, 10:11 AM
The inconvenience of having the fork painted is that if you want to sell the fork later, that will turn guys off big time.

bicycletricycle
12-23-2015, 10:15 AM
In my experience the wet paint to match the powder coat may not be a perfect match. I would wet paint the whole thing or powder and leave the fork.

Bob Ross
12-23-2015, 11:14 AM
You can put my vote down along with the folks who have already opined that:
- matte black forks -- even ENVE ones -- look fine with non-matching glossy painted frame
but
- that Columbus fork definitely has too much going on and so needs to be (re-)painted. Either black or to match the frame, anything but leaving it as is.

I'm more curious about this:
I am a fan of a thin layer of helicopter tape on the fork, to keep chips at bay.

Never heard of "helicopter tape" before. Off to the Google!

tv_vt
12-23-2015, 11:28 AM
If given a choice, I like painted forks that match the frame. Gives the bike a nice coordinated look, instead of just bolted on parts.

None of the bikes pictured above look great with the non-matching fork, imo.

This Rock Lobster, on the other hand, looks incredible with a matching painted fork: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=179254

johnniecakes
12-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Just my opinion but a raw fork just looks unfinished. Kinda like a primered fender on a car, just not done yet.

Formulasaab
12-23-2015, 11:43 AM
An unpainted or raw fork is equivalent to the sarcastic "American racing colors" of gray and red... Primer.

In other words it is incomplete and amateur.

That is, unless it is chromed!

adrien
12-23-2015, 12:01 PM
You can put my vote down along with the folks who have already opined that:
- matte black forks -- even ENVE ones -- look fine with non-matching glossy painted frame
but
- that Columbus fork definitely has too much going on and so needs to be (re-)painted. Either black or to match the frame, anything but leaving it as is.

I'm more curious about this:

Never heard of "helicopter tape" before. Off to the Google!

It's basically clear tape with a stronger adhesive, and on the thicker side. Apparently it is named that because it is used to protect parts of helicopter rotors. It takes a little practice, but goes on well, especially if you heat it a little and are patient. Becomes essentially invisible, ands I use it on the front and underside of the fork. Purists may think this is like covering your couch with plastic, but I am not a fan of chips and dealing with touch-up.

http://www.racerstape.com/heli.html

batman1425
12-23-2015, 12:11 PM
It's basically clear tape with a stronger adhesive, and on the thicker side. Apparently it is named that because it is used to protect parts of helicopter rotors. It takes a little practice, but goes on well, especially if you heat it a little and are patient. Becomes essentially invisible, ands I use it on the front and underside of the fork. Purists may think this is like covering your couch with plastic, but I am not a fan of chips and dealing with touch-up.

http://www.racerstape.com/heli.html

I have good sized square of the stuff that I have been using for the last several years on different bikes. New bike comes in, cut a few pieces for the cable rub contact points on the head tube, seat tube, rear der cable, and any tight tire clearance areas in the rear triangle/fork. Also good for putting under speed/cadence sensors or lights that are fork/stay mounted.

You can also use 3M clear bra - which is similar. I have some of that as well and both work fine. The 3M stuff is UV transparent, so your paint should wear (from the sun) evenly under it if you use it to cover big sections. You can buy it online, but I got mine by heading over to the local auto detailer and asking if I could have any scraps they were going to toss. They gave me enough for about 50 bikes for gratis.

sokyroadie
12-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Wet painted Enve fork with powder coated HT & DT - Mike actually had the TT wet painted because he thought it would look better. It matches perfectly to my eye.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697909137&stc=1&d=1445776966

Jeff

tv_vt
12-23-2015, 01:48 PM
^^^ Stunning! I love painted Enve forks. They have such clean lines and paint really sets them off.

That's a beautiful paint job on that DeSalvo.

Veloo
12-23-2015, 02:26 PM
You've got a nice color going on with the frame so I say paint it to match.

pdmtong
12-24-2015, 12:22 AM
It's always nicer when the carpet matches the drapes.

Paint to match - always.

Tim Porter
12-24-2015, 06:56 AM
You must paint. Whether it's to match is a matter of judgment. :beer: Note the contrasting champagne painted fork and lettering on my Jaegher vs. one of the all-time champs, HappyCampyer's Ottrott with white painted fork.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/i-jjDc7fK-X3_zpsbtoltijr.jpg

flydhest
12-24-2015, 07:42 AM
I used to like un finished Ti frames and unpainted forks. My Legend is that way. I no longer do unless there are parts of the frame that match the fork. On the other hand, look on Zanc's page. There is a powder coated aluminum road bike painted matte that matches the unfinished Enve fork. Looks fantastic.

Agree with earlier comment that powder coat frame and liquid paint fork often don't seem to match that well.

happycampyer
12-24-2015, 08:05 AM
You must paint. Whether it's to match is a matter of judgment. :beer: Note the contrasting champagne painted fork and lettering on my Jaegher vs. one of the all-time champs, HappyCampyer's Ottrott with white painted fork.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/i-jjDc7fK-X3_zpsbtoltijr.jpg
Hey, that's the Legend, not the Ottrott! That Jaegher is a stunner!

FlashUNC
12-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Just to expand on my somewhat contrarian viewpoint:

Painted forks came about because it was a necessity, not for any real aesthetic reason. Otherwise your fork legs would rust out from underneath you and you'd die a horrible death when the whole thing failed.

If its a tool, not a jewel, as Spookys certainly are, and there's enough aesthetic coherence elsewhere on the bike, I don't see painting a carbon fork as necessary. You're not providing the fork anymore protection, and as others mentioned it can be tough to properly match a powder/liquid paint on a frame/fork.

Not the right answer in all circumstances, but if its a bike you're going to ride like stink, beat the crap out of it and put a nice patina on, then the color of the fork is the least of the worries. It'll look good regardless because its being ridden.

But please paint your steel forks, unless you like seeing your orthodontist.

R3awak3n
12-24-2015, 08:43 AM
I have a spooky with an unmatched fork. Black enve decals. I lik the look but if I had the choice I almost always would paint the fork to match the frame.

uber
12-24-2015, 08:47 AM
I think your blue frame would look great with a fork and stem painted to match. If there are graphics in a different color on the frame, repeating that color theme in accents on the fork, stem (and bar tape/saddle) could work. If you went with a matt black fork, the same color and texture for seat post, bar, stem and even bottle cages would look be good too.