PDA

View Full Version : Nove/Ottrot ride quality v. lugged steel

Shredder
05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
I posted a question about this a few days ago ("Lugged steel v. Nove/Ottrot"). While I received some helpful responses, I did not really get an answer to my question (which may have been too long winded to be understood): simply put, how does the ride of a very nice custom lugged steel bike (Kirk, etc.) compare to the ride of a Nove or an Ottrot (or even a Legend). I am having difficulty deciding which bike to purchase and would appreciate some input. Thankyou very much.

Ray
05-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Assuming the fit and the design is dead-on in both cases, the handling can be identical. The ride will be a little different in ways I can't adequately describe. Ti, which I've ridden a lot, feels very similar to steel, but slightly smoother and more insulated, maybe not quite as direct as steel. A little silkier, for lack of a better term. I wouldn't say this is BETTER though - it's just different. I like the ride of a good ti bike and a good steel bike equally, but in slightly different ways. I'd imagine ti/carbon will head a little more in the direction of insulating you from road vibration, a little silkier. But it can also be tuned to your liking to some degree.

Again, either can be excellent, wonderful, phenominal. Steel will generally be a bit more direct and lively feeling, maybe a bit less insulating. But the bottom line is that either can ride and handle so frickin well that you really ought to go with what moves you for whatever visceral, irrational reason. I'd like to have one of each but am thrilled enough with my current main ride that I'll probably never have either. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go for the Kirk just because its easier to build for long reach brakes, fatter tires, and a bit more versatility with custom steel than with an Ottrott/Nove, where your fork choices are limited. But if that's not on your list of what matters, go with your gut.

-Ray

SoCalSteve
05-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Assuming the fit and the design is dead-on in both cases, the handling can be identical. The ride will be a little different in ways I can't adequately describe. Ti, which I've ridden a lot, feels very similar to steel, but slightly smoother and more insulated, maybe not quite as direct as steel. A little silkier, for lack of a better term. I wouldn't say this is BETTER though - it's just different. I like the ride of a good ti bike and a good steel bike equally, but in slightly different ways. I'd imagine ti/carbon will head a little more in the direction of insulating you from road vibration, a little silkier. But it can also be tuned to your liking to some degree.

Again, either can be excellent, wonderful, phenominal. Steel will generally be a bit more direct and lively feeling, maybe a bit less insulating. But the bottom line is that either can ride and handle so frickin well that you really ought to go with what moves you for whatever visceral, irrational reason. I'd like to have one of each but am thrilled enough with my current main ride that I'll probably never have either. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go for the Kirk just because its easier to build for long reach brakes, fatter tires, and a bit more versatility with custom steel than with an Ottrott/Nove, where your fork choices are limited. But if that's not on your list of what matters, go with your gut.

-Ray

And an Ottrott will take a bit more bite out the road buzz/vibration. Both are similar, but have subtle differences.

The HUGE difference is the price.

Good luck,

Steve

FlaRider
05-30-2006, 10:23 AM
I believe any material, within certain limits, can be tuned to ride the way you want. I would not describe my Ottrott ST, which I designed for road racing and hard group rides, as "smooth/silky." It was built to be stiff and rides accordingly, trasmitting more road buzz that my all ti IF Crown Jewel. It's all a question of personal preference.

CNY rider
05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
And an Ottrott will take a bit more bite out the road buzz/vibration. Both are similar, but have subtle differences.

The HUGE difference is the price.

Good luck,

Steve

Steve I think that's true IF (isn't there always that big effin IF out there) the Ottrott is designed for you and built to the desired level of stiffness and handling characteristics. I have a custom Legend and picked up a used Ottrott that, although it fit me, was built for a bigger, stronger rider. It definitely did not soak up any road buzz, and was clearly less comfortable than my Legend. I think of others of slight build (Climb I believe) whom had similar experience with the Ottrott. It can be a spectacular bike, no doubt, but only if it's built to do what you want. That's the beauty of buying custom bicycles.

So to the OP, I would say go with whatever tugs at your heart, then have good communication with whoever is building for you, and I think you will get what you are looking for. :beer:

CNY rider
05-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Agree with above; see below.

I believe any material, within certain limits, can be tuned to ride the way you want. I would not describe my Ottrott ST, which I designed for road racing and hard group rides, as "smooth/silky." It was built to be stiff and rides accordingly, trasmitting more road buzz that my all ti IF Crown Jewel. It's all a question of personal preference.

davids
05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Here's my limited experience, doing head-to-head rides on my Steel Axiom and my Nove:

My Steel Axiom has a lot of road feel (or buzz, or vibration...) and is slightly springy in how it responds to input. The road feel is generally a good thing atmo, giving me useful feedback on the road surface and the bike's contact thereon.

The Nove's Ti/Carbon mix mutes the road feel. The sensation is creamier and the buzz smoothed out. It's less fatiguing, but cuts into the feedback a bit. The frame is not springy - It's stiff and responsive. But not at all harsh. Serotta came up with a very canny mix of stiffness and smoothness in this design. And it can, of course, be tailored to your desires. My Nove is stock.

As far as road feedback, the frame I liked the most was a 100% Ti Fierte. Perfect balance of buzz and cush...

I'm trying to distinguish the impact of material from the impact of design. But that's only possible to a certain extent. Because, as we all know, it's the gestalt that we're throwing our legs over - material, geometry, tube specs...

Fixed
05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
bro if you get a lugged steel get the fork that is it's mate they will be happy together ..i.m.h.o
cheers

Skrawny
05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Agree with above; see below.
:D
I'm tempted to write that in the chart too... ;)
-s

marle
05-30-2006, 10:54 AM
This thread could be of interest -

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6114&highlight=sandy+csi