PDA

View Full Version : San Marco Era K?

davids
03-29-2004, 11:29 AM
My saddle search continues...

I've never been perfectly happy with the Terry Fly that I bought with my bike. Just a little too wide for my tastes. So a friend recently lent me a San Marco Era. After a 100 miles or so, I can say that I like the width and the overall shape. But it's a bit hard. I guess the cush of the Terry was more important to me than I thought!

So, would the Era K provide me with a little extra softness? Does anyone have any experience with this saddle?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin
03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
I swear by the Fizik Aliante. For me it is a great saddle. I have a box full of old saddles that I tried before I found the Aliante.

Kevin

Bruce H.
03-29-2004, 07:05 PM
I have used the Era for two years now. Have no problems at all. Not sure what changes went into the new "K" model though.
I am 225# and 6'1" for what it's worth.
Bruce H.

CarbonTi
03-29-2004, 10:06 PM
I'd suggest giving yourself a bit longer to adapt to the Era Pro and you might find that the firmness is not as harsh as it originally seemed. I have used Era Pros for years. Sometimes I experiment with other saddles but wind up coming back to the Era.

The Aliante has a lot of fans on this forum but over a term of 6 months I found that it had too much padding and the shell was too soft. A saddle very much like the Era is the Arione. I've ridden the Arione since last Oct and as an Era user, it is a transparent change to ride either saddle.

IMO how well your anatomy coexists with a saddle has more to do with the shape of the shell rather than the type and amount of padding so I don't think theres much difference between a Era Pro & Era K (or a SLR and SLR XP).

sharky
03-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Give the era a chance to soften up. I have been using these saddles for years and find that the era pro is a little stiffer than the older era, but they take a while to break in. I think the k just has a tougher exterior.

davids
03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Kevin,

I've been hearing great things about the Aliante. But, damn, that thing's expensive! If I knew it was going to work for me, I'd have no reservations. But saddles seems so personal - That's why I was looking for feedback from Era users. I assume that if the Era works for someone, their "end" will be similar to mine. Now, if you want to lend me one of your Aliantes... :D

CarbonTi & Sharkey,

I feel like the Era shape is a good fit - I like how narrow it is. But I miss the damping that the Fly seems to have provided. When you say it will "soften up", do you mean it will mold itself to my anatomy, or actually get less rigid?

The Arione looks intriguing. But my issue here is the same as with the Aliante - A lot of money for an unknown quantity...

...I'm also wondering how the Era compares to the Rolls (which I used for many years on my old Pinarello) and the Regal...

Thanks again,

alembical
03-30-2004, 01:05 PM
For what its worth, my LBS told me that they (Fizik, I think) offer a 30-day no questions asked return policy because they are that sure that you will like their saddles. If it is not Fizik, (95% it is) then it is just something that my lbs does for Fizik's saddles, but that does not make much sense. Any way, I know that if you buy a Fizik from them, you have 30 days to try it out with a full no questions asked refund (not store credit).

Alembical

CarbonTi
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I can chip in 2 cents on comparing Era to Rolls also. As an Era user I can't go back to my Rolls because of the shape. IMO they are very different in shape due to a change in saddle design brought about by Selle Italia with the introduction of the Flite.

The great design discovery of the Flite was the saddle did not have a curved profile laterally across the sit bones. Plastic saddles such as Cinelli Unica, SI Hinault-Turbo and SSM Rolls all had in effect a crown in the saddle profile that the Flite did not have. The flatter profile distributed more pressure to the skeleton rather than the tissue between. Add in some sleek modern design appearance and weight reduction and SI created a triple platinum modern classic.

Most modern saddles carry forward the concept that the Flite pioneered. Look at the profile of the SLR, Arione, Aspide, etc. and there's a flattened seating area to perch on. As always, you won't know what works or how seamlessly you can switch between saddles until you try. That's why we all have old saddles strewn about the garage.

Kevin
03-30-2004, 07:14 PM
davids,

See if your LBS will take the Aliante back if you don't like it. Saddles are a personal choice. However, I am so happy with the Aliante that I have one on both of my bikes and a couple on the shelf in case Fizik discontinues the model.

Kevin

davids
03-31-2004, 09:01 AM
...A saddle very much like the Era is the Arione. I've ridden the Arione since last Oct and as an Era user, it is a transparent change to ride either saddle.

CarbonTi,

So, why the change from the Era to the Arione? Just for variety, or is there something else that makes the Arione a better choice?

Thanks,

CarbonTi
03-31-2004, 12:12 PM
davids,

I didn't change away from the Era but I diversified saddles with the Arione on 2 of the bikes. I like the aesthetics of the Arione and think it looks great on sloping top tube bikes - very sleek and Formula 1-looking. I still use Era's on the 3 other bikes in the rotation.

davids
03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
davids,

I didn't change away from the Era but I diversified saddles with the Arione on 2 of the bikes. I like the aesthetics of the Arione and think it looks great on sloping top tube bikes - very sleek and Formula 1-looking. I still use Era's on the 3 other bikes in the rotation.
Thanks.

I must admit, I'm intrigued by the Arione. A little Googling turned up the following review, which was fascinating: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/arione.shtml

I might take the "chance" with one from Performance (with their no-questions-asked return policy) - I passed up my opportunity to buy an Era K "Night Train" on e-bay just now, without real regret.