PDA

View Full Version : First World pet peeve

kgreene10
12-22-2015, 09:47 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the saying "first world problem" bugs me. Virtually all of the problems experienced by us forumites are associated with privilege.

To my ear, naming the bicycle ones as such falsely diminishes our privilege in all (or virtually all) other areas of our lives.

My personal view is that consciousness of one's place in the world is extremely important. Using that privilege to help others is extremely important. We can all probably do much more in that regard - I certainly can. But I think we should be about the doing and I worry about the many little ways we try to escape crises of conscience for not doing enough.

I apologize for my high handedness. Just my personal holiday rant.

redir
12-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Talk about first world problems :rolleyes:

:D ;) :)

Black Dog
12-22-2015, 10:20 AM
So has the 'First World Problem' ® become a first world problem. A metaproblem. I do think that we use it too often on others, when we should use it more on ourselves.

To my own FWP®; I am working hard to loose a few pounds so I can experience some thin privilege. I need to be very careful while discussing these matters so as to avoid any micro-aggressions and should always provide trigger warnings when I speak on this topic to those that have been oppressed by the thin as I have.

;)

notsew
12-22-2015, 10:23 AM
I am 100% with you. For most of us, ALL of our problems fit the description of 1st world problems.

bobswire
12-22-2015, 10:23 AM
So has the 'First World Problem' ï½® become a first world problem. A metaproblem. I do think that we use it too often on others, when we should use it more on ourselves.

To my own FWPï½®; I am working hard to loose a few pounds so I can experience some thin privilege. I need to be very careful while discussing these matters so as to avoid any micro-aggressions and should always provide trigger warnings when I speak on this topic to those that have been oppressed by the thin as I am.

;)

Me too.

moots7
12-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Sorry for my vain attempt at humor.
I watched Good Morning Vietnam the other night and clearly I am the dorky lieutenant and not Robin Williams!

unterhausen
12-22-2015, 10:30 AM
as a modification of a description of your own problems, it's just a recognition that it's not much of an issue. If you diminish someone else's problems by saying it's a first world problem, then it's at least mildly rude. All of my problems can be solved by the application of money that I have at my disposal. Thus they are all first world problems. I recognize that, I don't need to hear it.

bobswire
12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the saying "first world problem" bugs me. Virtually all of the problems experienced by us forumites are associated with privilege.

To my ear, naming the bicycle ones as such falsely diminishes our privilege in all (or virtually all) other areas of our lives.

My personal view is that consciousness of one's place in the world is extremely important. Using that privilege to help others is extremely important. We can all probably do much more in that regard - I certainly can. But I think we should be about the doing and I worry about the many little ways we try to escape crises of conscience for not doing enough.

I apologize for my high handedness. Just my personal holiday rant.

The whole point of 1st World Problems is recognizing the absurdity of that statement. The me me,instant gratification, selfie,I'm special,aero, etc etc, Donald Trump for President is the poster boy of American extravagance and our own First World Problem(s). :help:

Fatty
12-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Yeah kind of nags at me to.
Never quite sure if it is guilt or gloat.

54ny77
12-22-2015, 11:24 AM
It's like a Seinfeld episode!

MattTuck
12-22-2015, 11:32 AM
My take is that "first world problem" on this board falls into two categories. 1) a trivial matter which takes on a larger level of importance due to the person's obsession or idiosyncrasies. An extreme example may be something like, "What color footbeds should I get?" 2) a desire to solicit opinions on a particular purchase or decision with the set up to the post being "Hey, I have money and I want to spend it on something good."

Half the fun of this place is being able to influence and participate in each other's cycling lives, and this is just a part of it. No need to say, "first world problem"... just say, "serious bike question: what color footbeds should I get?"

These are discussions to be had over a good drink at the bar.

guido
12-22-2015, 12:24 PM

I wish there was a bar near me where folks discussed even carbon bikes. Or even a coffee shop...

Red Tornado
12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
The whole point of 1st World Problems is recognizing the absurdity of that statement. The me me,instant gratification, selfie,I'm special,aero, etc etc, Donald Trump for President is the poster boy of American extravagance and our own First World Problem(s). :help:
Very well put.
My wife and I live within our means, are content with what we can afford and do what we can to help others out if we see a need. The stuff mentioned in the quote above I see every day in my 3 kids (20, 18 & 16 yrs). Not nearly to the extent as many of their friends, but still lurking nonetheless.
Most of my professional life has been spent working in manufacturing (tooling/manufacturing engineer) but I had a stint for several years in a technical position with a shower/bath products manufacturer. Had a reasonable amount of contact with store personnel, buyers and many times shoppers while visiting customers, retail locations & working the occasional trade show. Never before had I seen such a "me first" and "only the best will do" attitude. Now I'm all for having quality stuff, and nice stuff too, but this was so over the top it slowly began to sour me on these folks. My daughter sees it now, working at a craft/decorating chain.

Red Tornado
12-22-2015, 03:03 PM
My take is that "first world problem" on this board falls into two categories. 1) a trivial matter which takes on a larger level of importance due to the person's obsession or idiosyncrasies. An extreme example may be something like, "What color footbeds should I get?" 2) a desire to solicit opinions on a particular purchase or decision with the set up to the post being "Hey, I have money and I want to spend it on something good."

Half the fun of this place is being able to influence and participate in each other's cycling lives, and this is just a part of it. No need to say, "first world problem"... just say, "serious bike question: what color footbeds should I get?"

Also very well put.

Option 1 = First World Problem definitely
Option 2 = Wanting to get the best value for your money, nothing wrong with that

Oh and we have a tavern about 1 mile or so down the road from where our club meets for one of it's rides. Tuesday night's and Saturday's after local races you can find a good number of cyclists there enjoying some post-ride recovery.....

sg8357
12-22-2015, 06:29 PM
???????????????????????????

don compton
12-22-2015, 11:07 PM
I quit riding with my local club because I got tired hearing about the problems in Africa,etc.
Over the years I have done some charity work ( as a real estate developer , I had opportunities to offer some help in planning inclusionary housing and built a few projects for that purpose).
I get really tired of folks that whine about the world but put so little of their time and their wealth to solve some of these problems. And by the way, we have some housing problems in our own country.

smontanaro
12-23-2015, 07:48 AM
To my own FWPï½®; I am working hard to loose a few pounds so I can experience some thin privilege.

Maybe you've been running too much. :D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f4/04/f5/f404f5b56c46b2dbf0583b97ac843d32.jpg