PDA

View Full Version : Utterly OT: Recommended Microbrew Holiday Offerings

BobC
12-21-2015, 05:33 PM
A couple beer snob friends & I (OBTW I am major beer snob) were chatting about various XMAS microbrewery releases that we were going to try.

Here are the two coming up in my XMAS rotation:
1. Foothills Moravian Porter. Foothills always does a good job. This one sounds awesome.
2. Hardywood Gingerbread Stout. Friends who tried this one raved about it.

Any other recommendations?

Cheers, BobC

FlashUNC
12-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Anchor Steam's Christmas Ale. All the better if you get it in the Magnum to share.

Likes2ridefar
12-21-2015, 06:11 PM
Just had a stone xocoveza. Pretty good xmas stout!

echappist
12-21-2015, 06:28 PM
A couple beer snob friends & I (OBTW I am major beer snob) were chatting about various XMAS microbrewery releases that we were going to try.

1. Foothills Moravian Porter. Foothills always does a good job. This one sounds awesome.

Cheers, BobC

La Chouffe has a winter ale of some sort. Last year Ommegang had the Adoration, which, for lack of better word, will get you happily buzzed and toasty.

providence
12-21-2015, 06:36 PM
I like to mix it up with the offerings between styles a tad. At the very least, a good sour might have a place on your list if you enjoy them. Would be a nice change of pace between the porter and stout. Don't know what's available in your neck of the woods, though.

Below is what I'll be bringing to our Xmas:
2013 Surly Darkness (Russian Imperial)
2013 Goose Island Bourbon County (Double Stout)
2015 Surly Darkness Barrel Aged (Russian Imperial)
Surly Pentagram (Sour)
Dangerous Man Peanut Butter Porter (Porter)
Toppling Goliath PseudoSue (session Ale)

kevinvc
12-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Deschutes - The Abyss (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/the-abyss/). It's a Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

That is all.

gianni
12-21-2015, 07:05 PM
Schooner Exact: hoppy the woodsman and hoppy holidays. They may even have barrel aged varieties as well.

Two Beers: Russian imperial stout or forester double IPA (and ciders galore, 3 pepper)

:beer:

ORMojo
12-21-2015, 07:12 PM
So far this year, the one's I can recall that I have had:

Rogue Santa's Private Reserve
Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper
Pelican Bad Santa

(I'm beginning to think Santa drinks more beer than I do!)

Deschutes Jubelale
Anderson Winter Solstice
Laurelwood Vinter Varmer
Widmer Brrr
Ninkasi Sleigh'r
Hub/Hopworks Abominable
St Bernardus Christmas Ale
Stone Xocoveza

plus various local breweries concoctions available on tap!

It could just be habit, but the Deschutes Jubelale still hits all the right notes for me. The Bad Santa is also actually pretty good.

I'm using this recent, fairly extensive (although still missing some I know of) list to search for more: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/blind-tasting-and-ranking-71-christmaswinter-beers.html?a=1

P.S. - Why, oh why, would you think this would be OT around here?!

GoatLeg
12-21-2015, 08:04 PM

Cheers, BobC

What's available to you highly depends on where you're located. Given that you mentioned Hardywood, I'd bet you're in or near Texas?

Keep an eye out for Prairie (Oklahoma, but I believe they distribute to TX) Bomb! and Xmas Bomb - both coffee stouts, both brewed with cacao and vanilla beans, regular is made with chili peppers too, while the xmas version is made with I believe cinnamon and nutmeg.

Buffalo Bayou makes a pretty good gingerbread stout as well.

For something lighter, Jeter King is always a good choice, not sure if they have a specific xmas beer, though.

jimcav
12-21-2015, 08:05 PM
so Green Flash Jolly Folly IPA!

nighthawk
12-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Just had a stone xocoveza. Pretty good xmas stout!

That beer is delicious! I had it when it was brewed as part of the homebrewer recipe competition and have been waiting for them to release it again. Glad to hear it is back on the shelves.

ORMojo
12-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Coincidentally, my wife brought home two more tonight that she had not seen in our fridge. The Pinedrops is in the glass (well, about half of it still is!), and in the spirit of the OP's original post, yes, I can recommend it. It is enhanced by the current background aromas of holiday trees, wreaths, and other greenery in the house - no, seriously, it is - the aromas and flavors are playing off of each other quite noticeably.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/ORMojo1/IMG_20151221_201531_hdr_zpsiklmb8ei.jpg (http://s668.photobucket.com/user/ORMojo1/media/IMG_20151221_201531_hdr_zpsiklmb8ei.jpg.html)

goonster
12-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Spiced ales?

Meh . . .

Mr. Pink
12-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Ommegang brewery has the perfect present. It's displayed prominently at my local Whole Foods. Three big bottles of different brews, and a nice glass with their logo, for 31 bucks. Hint, hint.

ORMojo
12-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Ommegang brewery has the perfect present. It's displayed prominently at my local Whole Foods. Three big bottles of different brews, and a nice glass with their logo, for 31 bucks. Hint, hint.

Thanks for the reminder. I've heard good things about their brews and have been meaning to try them. No Whole Foods here (yet, under construction and opening next Fall!), but I just checked my local bottle shop's (http://thebierstein.com/bottle-list/) on-line bottle list, and they have several Ommegang's among the 1,061 different bottles currently in stock!

milkbaby
12-22-2015, 12:25 AM
Another vote for Prairie Bomb and Xmas Bomb. Tho I'm sure this and most of the suggestions so far probably come from breweries that are a little bigger than "microbreweries". Maybe a matter of semantics...

BobC
12-22-2015, 06:27 AM
What's available to you highly depends on where you're located. Given that you mentioned Hardywood, I'd bet you're in or near Texas?

Keep an eye out for Prairie (Oklahoma, but I believe they distribute to TX) Bomb! and Xmas Bomb - both coffee stouts, both brewed with cacao and vanilla beans, regular is made with chili peppers too, while the xmas version is made with I believe cinnamon and nutmeg.

Buffalo Bayou makes a pretty good gingerbread stout as well.

For something lighter, Jeter King is always a good choice, not sure if they have a specific xmas beer, though.

Actually in Virginia Beach, but Hardywood Park Brewery is up in Richmond.

We have had a series of microbreweries open up here in the local area -- 7 in Virginia Beach alone (Young Vets, Reaver Beach, Back Bay, Vasserhund, Commonwealth, Home Republic, & Pleasure House). Norfolk has a whole group as well (O'Connors, Smartmouth, & I cannot remember the rest. 5 or 6 in total I think).

Green Flash is currently building a brewery minutes from work & I heard that Starr Hill is building in downtown Norfolk.

It's good to be a micro beer aficionado in Va Beach. Growler always at the ready.

Cheers, BobC

echappist
12-22-2015, 09:20 AM

i stopped by last weekend to pick up some more fine ales from Ommegang, and one of the offerings was the Rosetta, an ale that's supposed to be infused with cherry flavors. I thought it was going to be a cider style, but it actually isn't. Granted, it's not a seasonal (and it is only 5.6%), but from the packaging (see below), i certainly thought it was. It was a very delectable beer. So much so i've finished four of the eight bottles i bought :help:.

Chocolate Indulgence would be another i'd recommend if it could be found...

Also, if there's a Total Wine around, they sell 3-bottle packages (2x Three Philosophers and 1x Hennepin, i think) for $22 or so, no glass included though.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/acd2ef1cc2a1ba656da9d3b32f53f0af/tumblr_nxhdisz6RI1qzi4j4o1_500.jpg

Also, @OP, fine microbrews are not OT. They are the lifeblood that sustains us :beer:!

kevinvc
12-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Spiced ales?

Meh . . .

I'm not a fan of spiced beers either. Winter / holiday beers has no definition and is just another way of saying seasonal or experimental. I like some holiday branded beers this year that have been anything from an IPA to a cream stout.

A guy I know hand prepared and sold beer advent calendars this year as a fundraiser for the MS society. 24 different seasonal beers and it's a surprise every evening!

jumpjube
12-22-2015, 12:35 PM
We've enjoyed this year's Christmas Bomb from Prairie, and we also liked the BBA Gingerbread Stout from Hardywood (more than Hardywood's "plain" Gingerbread Stout).

For some reason, these holiday beers "work" better woth my tastebuds than any of the -- for example -- pumpkin ales. But if you don't like spice flavors in your beer, you are not likely to embrace the beers listed here.

bikerboy337
12-22-2015, 01:32 PM
I brought in St. Bernardus ABT 12 for a few of my employees and a fellow manager I work with...

not a Christmas beer, but great great stuff...

I also brought a 4 pack of Omegang Hennepin for an employee as well...

MadRocketSci
12-22-2015, 01:44 PM
I had an Ommegang Rare Vos two nights ago. Quite enjoyed it.

goonster
12-22-2015, 01:53 PM
German advent calendar:
http://liebeschenken.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Bier-Adventskalender-DIY.jpg

notsew
12-22-2015, 01:54 PM
I'll second the Jubelale from Deschutes, I just love that stuff. I can't help it, if its cold outside I want to drink Jubelale.

I also just had a nice winter brew from our local Kulshan Brewery - Kitten Mittens Winter Ale. Similar to Jubelale, but maybe a bit lighter. I don't know how far afield Kulshan makes it though.

donevwil
12-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Deschutes - The Abyss (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/the-abyss/). It's a Barrel Aged Imperial Stout.

That is all.

Thank you for this Kevin,

I'm on a mission to locate some. I'm an imperial stout drinker and most shelves locally are filled with IPAs.

kmac
12-22-2015, 02:26 PM
not quite "holiday", not quite "microbrew", but something about a good rauchbier always makes me think of this time of year (i guess it's probably because there's always a wood-burning fireplace doing its thing).

http://homebrewacademy.com/schlenkerla-smokebeer/

my favorites are the doppelbock and the urbock. warning, they may be an acquired taste, but once you acquire it, then man they are good!

echappist
12-22-2015, 02:35 PM
opps, thought you were the other kmac of the DC area. apologies...

druptight
12-22-2015, 03:12 PM
I'll second the Jubelale from Deschutes, I just love that stuff. I can't help it, if its cold outside I want to drink Jubelale.

I also just had a nice winter brew from our local Kulshan Brewery - Kitten Mittens Winter Ale. Similar to Jubelale, but maybe a bit lighter. I don't know how far afield Kulshan makes it though.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e6/a7/bf/e6a7bf867dd81d06f64d28c153b61f86.jpg

kevinvc
12-22-2015, 04:23 PM

I'm on a mission to locate some. I'm an imperial stout drinker and most shelves locally are filled with IPAs.

If you like this style of beer, I can tell you I've never had a better example of it. It also ages extremely well. I try to buy a few bottles every year and keep some in the basement for a couple of years. The character really changes over time.

It's a couple of days earlier than I planned, but I just might have to open my last 2012 tonight. :beer:

GoatLeg
12-22-2015, 05:38 PM

FYI: Abyss is a once-a-year release, not sure whether or not they did the brewery release yet, but it should be soon. I think it got pushed back this year because they made a few variants this year (100% bourbon barrel, 100% cognac barrel, I think... Not super sure what they were).

The regular version will be easy to find at places like whole foods and your local bottle shops.

CDollarsign
12-23-2015, 07:45 AM
I think the holidays are best served with a hard fought bottle of Cantillon from the cellar (read basement).

redir
12-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Just remember to watch those calories ;)

GoatLeg
12-23-2015, 04:07 PM
I think the holidays are best served with a hard fought bottle of Cantillon from the cellar (read basement).

I think you just submitted the best response.

Had a 2010 gueuze last night. It had lost a lot of carb, but the beer ended up tasting like a cross of gueuze and Grand Cru Bruocsella. It was excellent.

kevinvc
12-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I think you just submitted the best response.

Had a 2010 gueuze last night. It had lost a lot of carb, but the beer ended up tasting like a cross of gueuze and Grand Cru Bruocsella. It was excellent.

Outstanding!

Now, if we're going to allow non-seasonal beers into the discussion I can't think of anything that is better on a cool rainy winter night than a 55 degree Delierium Nocturnum.

Likes2ridefar
12-23-2015, 04:29 PM
I went to the local shop to try and find a few of the xmas beers mentioned for our family tomorrow but didnt see any. Ended up with a 1965 taylor fladgate limited release tawny port to celebrate with the family tomorrow. I hope they wont be disappointed :D

Spinner
12-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Christmas Ale ... the Official Beer Sponsor of the 2006 Finger Lakes Ramble hosted by DBRK. My neighbor, Dan Conway, a Co-owner of Great Lakes Brewery, donated a dozen or so pint glasses and two cases of beer.

Cheers to Dan, DBRK and all who attended.

moose8
12-23-2015, 05:58 PM

In 2003 I took Michael Jackson's Great Beers of Belgium to Cantillon and got the section on Cantillon autographed by the brewer. He was super nice and the brewery was awesome. That beer is so good.

Tandem Rider
12-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Some great beers mentioned here, the last two or three Christmas' we enjoyed a bottle of Scaldis Prestige. I have only seen it in the 750ml "bomber" size. I think it's one of the top five Quads I've ever had. It's a little pricey, but for once a year, we're all in.

bikerboy337
12-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Just enjoyed a rodenbach charactere rouge on tap at my favorite pub, perfect in RI right now as it reminds me of Belgium, about 50 degrees and rainy.... Belgian spring weather and perfect for a sour....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
12-23-2015, 08:00 PM
just finished a fav that isn't around all the time (at least not here)

So glad to see it in a smaller bootle four pack!
http://greatdivide.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Fresh-Hop-4-pack-outside.jpg

BobC
12-31-2015, 03:17 PM
Just stumbled from the Olde Saratoga brew haus.

Left with a couple of these -- very delicious (they might be gifts or not). And a case of the Oatmeal Stout.

Gotta say... Olde Saratoga has really improved. Kudos to them.

Cheers!