PDA

View Full Version : Looking for race/rando geometry bike to accept 25mm tyres and fenders

maslow
12-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Hoping someone on here can help.

I'm trying to spec up a new bike to replace my custom titanium rig. I'm looking for a frame with audax (rando)/race geometry that will fit a 25mm tyre and full mudguards for use during the winter months. I'm reluctant to use the term winter bike as I'm after something that performs and rides and well as one of my summer rigs. A bike that I'm happy to ride year round whereas my current winter bike, although light fast and stiff has terrible handling - IMO due to the slack head and seat tube angles the builder preferred to use. It fits a 28mm tyre and fenders but after 3 years with it I've decided to it's time to get something better.

As regards to clearance for full mudguards I realise this can pose a problem with many frame and forks that aren't designed to accept one. FYI I'm not keen on using race blades, crud catchers or similar; I've tried them on other bikes. However I have found the PDW (Portland Design Works) full fender designed for frames with tight clearances and I think that could be a solution.

My requirements are:

Race/audax oriented geometry - not a cyclocross cross bike.

25mm tyres with full length mudguards

Disc or rim brakes (although I'm starting to wonder if will be easier to build around a disc wheel as there are no calipers to interfere with the fender)

So far my shortlist includes:

- BMC GF01 Disc (Ultegra)
If I opt for this I one I plan to have a couple of new wheel sets built as the stock wheels could be better.
I'm hoping a 25mm tyre and PDW fender fit this frame?

- Giant defy Advanced Pro (Ultegra)
As above.

- Canondale CAAD 10 or 12.
Either disc or rim brake model. Again will a 25mm tyre and fender fit one one of these? To hazard a guess I'd say no but would be interested to hear if any one has tried.

- Bowman pilgrims ( although I have concerns this might be a little like a cyclo-cross bike)

- Bowman palace

- Stoemper Darrell disc (possibly a custom build).

I suppose the question I really should be asking is "will any of the models listed above fit 25mm tyres and fenders?"

Any other ideas? I'm not keen on using steel as apart from the titanium rig my entire stable is steel and I feel it's time for a carbon or Alu frame.

palincss
12-20-2015, 03:34 PM
You haven't mentioned the Seven Axiom, which not only can fit fenders and 28mm tires (assuming you ask for it), but is the model Seven actually bills as its randonneuring frame.

maslow
12-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks. Not sure if I'm keen on another titanium frame. Was thinking I'd like to try out an alu or carbon frame. I must apologise as I said 'rando' in the title which is probably a little misleading.

rwsaunders
12-20-2015, 04:54 PM
One of my favorite bikes by Jamie Swan...wish it was mine.

Ken Robb
12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Waterford, Gunnar, Rivendellall offer stock and custom bikes like this in steel. Hampsten also does custom steel, ti and I'm not sure about aluminum. Kirk thrills riders with his customs.

charliedid
12-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Hoping someone on here can help.

I'm trying to spec up a new bike to replace my custom titanium rig. I'm looking for a frame with audax (rando)/race geometry that will fit a 25mm tyre and full mudguards for use during the winter months. I'm reluctant to use the term winter bike as I'm after something that performs and rides and well as one of my summer rigs. A bike that I'm happy to ride year round whereas my current winter bike, although light fast and stiff has terrible handling - IMO due to the slack head and seat tube angles the builder preferred to use. It fits a 28mm tyre and fenders but after 3 years with it I've decided to it's time to get something better.

As regards to clearance for full mudguards I realise this can pose a problem with many frame and forks that aren't designed to accept one. FYI I'm not keen on using race blades, crud catchers or similar; I've tried them on other bikes. However I have found the PDW (Portland Design Works) full fender designed for frames with tight clearances and I think that could be a solution.

My requirements are:

Race/audax oriented geometry - not a cyclocross cross bike.

25mm tyres with full length mudguards

Disc or rim brakes (although I'm starting to wonder if will be easier to build around a disc wheel as there are no calipers to interfere with the fender)

So far my shortlist includes:

- BMC GF01 Disc (Ultegra)
If I opt for this I one I plan to have a couple of new wheel sets built as the stock wheels could be better.
I'm hoping a 25mm tyre and PDW fender fit this frame?

- Giant defy Advanced Pro (Ultegra)
As above.

- Canondale CAAD 10 or 12.
Either disc or rim brake model. Again will a 25mm tyre and fender fit one one of these? To hazard a guess I'd say no but would be interested to hear if any one has tried.

- Bowman pilgrims ( although I have concerns this might be a little like a cyclo-cross bike)

- Bowman palace

- Stoemper Darrell disc (possibly a custom build).

I suppose the question I really should be asking is "will any of the models listed above fit 25mm tyres and fenders?"

Any other ideas? I'm not keen on using steel as apart from the titanium rig my entire stable is steel and I feel it's time for a carbon or Alu frame.

I own a GF01 and its a wonderful bike but I don't know how you are going to attach fenders unless you do the zip-tie eyelet thing...

Clearance should be fine with that tire size as it comes stock with 28's

charliedid
12-20-2015, 05:05 PM
I also own a Gunnar Sport which is IMO a really solid bike and option.

sandyrs
12-20-2015, 05:11 PM
How about a kinesis 4s. Race geo, medium reach brakes and eyelets so you can use fenders without resorting to the pdw skewer mount, and it's alu so it checks that box. Plus it's affordable.

palincss
12-20-2015, 05:31 PM
If it's carbon you want, perhaps the Calfee Adventure series will do it for you.
http://calfeedesign.com/adventure/

rnhood
12-20-2015, 05:57 PM
I think the Calfee Adventure as mentioned above is a good choice, as well as a Specialized Roubaix (with discs). The disc model Roubaix will take 28's with full fenders. The Calfee will likely cost a little more but, its a good quality bike and they will make tweaks to the frame per your requirements, or desires.

charliedid
12-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Just saw the Aluminum or Carbon requirement. TREK has a number of bikes that fit this.

Also, how much $?

R3awak3n
12-20-2015, 06:40 PM
One of my favorite bikes by Jamie Swan...wish it was mine.

wow thats fantastic.

on topic, if you are going to go with custom, why not get room to fit at least a 28mm, even a 30mm

etu
12-20-2015, 06:47 PM
I must apologise as I said 'rando' in the title which is probably a little misleading.
Maybe I am being a bit narrow in my interpretation, but I thought the key feature of rando geometry was a low trail design to optimize a moderate front load as well as clearances for larger tires.
Sounds like you're looking for an "all-arounder" with specific clearance requirements and more lively handling. Have you thought about a custom aluminum frame. I am sure Paul Sadoff at RockLobster could set you up with a dream "winter" bike.

rnhood
12-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Just saw the Aluminum or Carbon requirement. TREK has a number of bikes that fit this.

Also, how much $?

Yes, in fact a race team member has the Trek 720 and its a bargain. Perfectly suited to this type riding.

charliedid
12-20-2015, 08:05 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of this than the 720 :-)

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road/endurance-race/domane/domane-6-5/p/1477400-2016

rnhood
12-20-2015, 08:25 PM
The Domane is extremely nice but I'm not sure it will take full fenders with 25 tires. Perhaps it will, if its the disc model. It would be my first choice if so...unless its over the budget. The 720 is the low budget solution.

guido
12-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Get a Boulder Road Sport:

http://boulderbicycle.bike/Boulder-Bicycle-Road-Sport-Overview-and-Pricing.html

Waterford Quality construction, killer clearance, elegant Mike Kone design. Definitely on the fast end of the rando scale...

christian
12-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Kinesis 4S is what you want. Sizing sucks, but if one of the sizes fits you, you are good to go.

palincss
12-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Maybe I am being a bit narrow in my interpretation, but I thought the key feature of rando geometry was a low trail design to optimize a moderate front load as well as clearances for larger tires.

French style, sure. English style (they call it "Audax") no: it's much closer to what we used to call "sport touring," with a modest load carried in a rear seat bag like a Carradice.

R3awak3n
12-20-2015, 09:37 PM
French style, sure. English style (they call it "Audax") no: it's much closer to what we used to call "sport touring," with a modest load carried in a rear seat bag like a Carradice.

last time I looked at Paris Brest Paris pictures, there were tons of bikes that did not resemble what most consider a rando bike. Actually if I remember correctly, the 650b low trail with front bag bikes were few and most bikes I saw were just regular road bikes.

ptourkin
12-21-2015, 08:14 AM
last time I looked at Paris Brest Paris pictures, there were tons of bikes that did not resemble what most consider a rando bike. Actually if I remember correctly, the 650b low trail with front bag bikes were few and most bikes I saw were just regular road bikes.

It's true. The Rene Herse style French rando revival bikes are more popular and common with American randonneurs and are still considered a novelty in their homeland.

oldpotatoe
12-21-2015, 08:20 AM
It's true. The Rene Herse style French rando revival bikes are more popular and common with American randonneurs and are still considered a novelty in their homeland.

I built a bike for a gent that was doing Paris-Brest-Paris..It was a Moots Vamoots, road bike, no fenders, battery lights, Moots tailgator rack. This was his 3rd trip and he said vast majority of bikes were just road bikes with lights.

gone
12-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Definitely true, the whole "low trail, front rack and bag, lights, fenders, etc., rando bike" is definitely an American thing.

In the most recent Transcontinental (Belgium to Istanbul) you'd think that sort of bike would be right in its wheelhouse: unsupported, need to carry a bunch of stuff, riding around the clock, etc. Not a single one that I saw. The "adventure or endurance" style of bike (with disc brakes in particular) with a dyno hub front wheel seemed to dominate with regular race bikes coming a close second. No rando bikes, no panniers (OK, maybe one or two with panniers).

kgreene10
12-21-2015, 09:13 AM
The Fisher Cronus ticks all of your boxes. The road version, not cross. I have an extra 58cm and you can find others cheaply. I've raced it for years. It's a far better frameset than most (who haven't ridden it) believe.

maslow
12-21-2015, 01:17 PM
I own a GF01 and its a wonderful bike but I don't know how you are going to attach fenders unless you do the zip-tie eyelet thing...

Clearance should be fine with that tire size as it comes stock with 28's

This is good news. The pdw fenders attach using skewer mounts.

maslow
12-21-2015, 01:21 PM
How about a kinesis 4s. Race geo, medium reach brakes and eyelets so you can use fenders without resorting to the pdw skewer mount, and it's alu so it checks that box. Plus it's affordable.

This one is now on my list. I might try to find a store that has one built up to test ride. Many thanks.

maslow
12-21-2015, 02:41 PM

Sounds like you're looking for an "all-arounder" with specific clearance requirements and more lively handling. Have you thought about a custom aluminum frame. I am sure Paul Sadoff at RockLobster could set you up with a dream "winter" bike.

I agree and admit mentioning 'rando' was misleading. Apologies.

FWIW I'm very fortunate to own a custom built Woodrup in Reynolds 531 with canti's, 35mm 700c knobblies, fenders, SON dynamo hub plus front and rear racks - an absolute dream to ride - that I use for audaxing, light touring plus a bit of gravel riding. For full on loaded touring with camping kit I ride a custom Mercian King of Mercia built from Reynolds 531ST. Not a fast bike by any stretch but as with the Woodrup an absolutely sublime ride.

So as far as loaded and long distance riding goes I have bikes that are suited to that. What I'm really after is a bike with race geometry, that handles and accelerates as well as my summer rigs, but takes a 25mm tyre and fender.

Thanks for the 'rock lobster' tip :)

weisan
12-21-2015, 03:20 PM
>>What I'm really after is a bike with race geometry, that handles and accelerates as well as my summer rigs, but takes a 25mm tyre and fender.

Funny you say that, coz' I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. My Merlin Ti Cyclocross fits your description and here's me wishing that it's configured more for touring and can fit 40+mm tires...anyway, I finally gave up on that, let it be what it is, and stick with my Surly for full on loaded touring and ordered another cheap cro-mo touring frame from Nashbar to satisfy my fetish desire to fit the biggest possible tires on a road frame. :D

krhea
12-21-2015, 03:24 PM
Excellent fork choice: http://www.enigmabikes.com/products/enigma-etape-forks

I'm currently building a custom frame using this fork.

KRhea

unterhausen
12-22-2015, 12:31 AM
my definition of a rando bike is a race bike that takes fenders and lights. As much as I respect Jan Heine, he doesn't own the language or the sport. And in any event, the style of bike he prefers is still a fairly high performance bike with a few compromises for comfort over long hours.

charliedid
12-22-2015, 11:10 PM
This is good news. The pdw fenders attach using skewer mounts.

Right but with the hooded rear drop-out that is a real issue. Check out a closeup of the rear.

You would need some other solution...such as an eyelet zip tie, which can work well.

fiamme red
12-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Soma Grand Randonneur looks like a fairly nice, cheap option: http://store.somafab.com/sogrra.html.

maslow
12-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Right but with the hooded rear drop-out that is a real issue. Check out a closeup of the rear.

You would need some other solution...such as an eyelet zip tie, which can work well.

Thanks. I didn't spot that.