PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo chain tool question

bikerboy337
12-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Can I use the Cn-200 10s chain tool to pop pins on 11s chains? Assuming I can as I currently use an old park chain tool, but wasn't sure. Just assuming the 11s tool helps seat a new pin properly, but I use quick links so no need for that.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
12-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Yes. But to install a master link on a Campy 11 sod chain you need a tool that'll peen. If you're using a quick link (what I do too), then its moot.

gfk_velo
12-19-2015, 05:09 PM
If you are using a quick link, you'll void warranty, if it still applies.

There can be an issue with the somewhat squarer-than-Campag edges of some quick links snagging on the inside bumper plate of the FD, depending on the model & on riding style / chainset ratios - it's OK in many cases but it can also rip the bumper plate off, or badly distort it over time - we've seen it happen in quite a few instances, especially on Compact chainset and when shifting under high torque / pedal pressure.

Cicli
12-19-2015, 05:13 PM

Have you ever used tbe warranty on a chain?
Who cares? I have been using a quick link on a Campagnolo chain as long as they have been around. Never had a failure.

bikerboy337
12-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Thanks all, that's what I though.... Just need a good tool to pop some links off... Going to go with this

bigbill
12-19-2015, 09:14 PM
I've got the campy tool because I went to 11 in the fall of 2008. There wasn't an option. This past summer I tried a KMC 11 chain and while it was easy to install, I didn't think it performed as well as a campy chain. I've got a card of 11 speed links in my toolbox but I always use the campy tool and pin when I install a chain. In 7 years, I've never had one fail.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2015, 05:44 AM
Can I use the Cn-200 10s chain tool to pop pins on 11s chains? Assuming I can as I currently use an old park chain tool, but wasn't sure. Just assuming the 11s tool helps seat a new pin properly, but I use quick links so no need for that.

Thanks!

Correct. You can shorten the chain with any tool..the lever gig is for peening the pin is all. And in 30+ years in this wacky bike biz, I have never had to warranty a chain. Even with the dopey Campag 'perma-link'. I have used IRD and KMC links on 8 thru 11s Campag chains, and they all work great. IRD seems to be the best but somewhat hard to get..only one distributor in the US..Merry Sales.

BUT on my 11s EPS rig, I start with the supplied pin on Campagnolo Chorus 11s chain..then take it off to clean, then IRD/KMC link..The supplied pin really works the best and I think the Campagnolo chain works the best(altho expensive).

OtayBW
12-20-2015, 06:29 AM

There can be an issue with the somewhat squarer-than-Campag edges of some quick links snagging on the inside bumper plate of the FD, depending on the model & on riding style / chainset ratios - it's OK in many cases but it can also rip the bumper plate off, or badly distort it over time - we've seen it happen in quite a few instances, especially on Compact chainset and when shifting under high torque / pedal pressure.
Wow - I have never had anything other than seamless, transparent performance in a decade of using both 10- and 11-spd quick links.

gfk_velo
12-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Have you ever used tbe warranty on a chain?
Who cares? I have been using a quick link on a Campagnolo chain as long as they have been around. Never had a failure.

It affects the warranty on the whole drive train, not just the chain.
There is no reason to suppose that any third party is kept informed of any changes made to Campagnolo spec, hence the fact that the warranty is worked this way - it's the same with Shimano, SRAM, etc ...

Actually, no, there has not, in the UK, been an actual warranty on a correctly joined 11s chain since launch so far as I am aware (not all the SCs report to us all the time but we've not had a report of one) - we have done a few goodwill replacements but not a warranty due to failure that I know of.

I have just checked in our logs, though - we have had 11 occasions, so far, where chains joined in some fashion outside the warranty have failed where we not been able to warranty and there has been some form of additional damage - RDs. FDs, in one case (unfortunately for the user) RD, FD and rear wheel ... the chain having failed and having been significantly worn, it also cost a chain and cassette.

So - it's a risk, albeit a small one.

ElHardeen
12-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Keep the Campy 11-speed chain tool around for street cred, and do use it for pushing in and installing pins, but have had much better luck peening with my trusty Park CT-3.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Keep the Campy 11-speed chain tool around for street cred, and do use it for pushing in and installing pins, but have had much better luck peening with my trusty Park CT-3.

Have you had 'bad luck' with the Campag tool? Pretty straight forward, chain in lever down, hook in, push. Not a separate tool.

tsells1
12-20-2015, 12:55 PM
I have a practically new 11sp campy tool still in the box, inbox me if interested