PDA

View Full Version : Eyebrow sweat mucking up my glasses, how to deal?

CampyorBust
12-19-2015, 01:13 PM
I suffer from a condition commonly referred to in the salon/hair care community as Brezhnev brows. If I was to trim them it would be considered deforestation.

Seriously I suffer from a large amount of sweat pouring down from my eyebrows onto my sunglasses and ruining them for the duration of the ride. Wiping of the sweat produces mediocre results at best as it just smudges it all over the place. Stopping and cleaning is pointless as it will just happen again and its impossible to get them very clean on the road. I got one of them fancy aqua pads on me helmet and it does help a tiny bit. However sweat still drips down and is soaked up by my brows before splashing onto my glasses.

I am not there yet and I doubt I will ever be obsessed enough with cycling to commit to clear cutting the old growth forest.

I have tried the eyebrow trim attachment on my mini manscapper and no dice.

Does anybody else suffer from this? How do you deal? Pluck, thread, trim, wax, scorch, tape, controlled burning?

How about goggle/glasses defogger spray or Rain-X?

merckx
12-19-2015, 01:18 PM
About every 6 months I light mine on fire. It's quick.

Tickdoc
12-19-2015, 01:36 PM
My hair guy takes care of them along with any unwanted ear hair ( all of it?) when I get a trim.

Hate to hijack your thread, but wat about riding glasses choice affecting brow
Drip?

I had a pair of natives that acted like guttering keeping most swear from dripping into my eyes. Now I ride with Scott pivlocks and whole o love them, they don't channel sweat like my old natives did.

eddief
12-19-2015, 01:36 PM
just curious.

CampyorBust
12-19-2015, 01:59 PM
My hair guy takes care of them along with any unwanted ear hair ( all of it?) when I get a trim.

Hate to hijack your thread, but wat about riding glasses choice affecting brow
Drip?

I had a pair of natives that acted like guttering keeping most swear from dripping into my eyes. Now I ride with Scott pivlocks and whole o love them, they don't channel sweat like my old natives did.

Entirely possible that it is a glasses problem. I like the Pivlocks V2, I almost bought them when I found some Bolle Vortex for $50. Never really had the issue with the Tifosi I had before, I also did not have the aqua pad on my helmet then. The frame of the glasses does not touch my forehead and hovers slightly above my brows. Now the sweat drips from my forehead past the aqua pad (which is designed to prevent this very thing) and onto my brow, then splash!

just curious.

From what I understand the Frida brow and Brezhnev brow are similar but two separate conditions. In exceedingly rare occasions an unattended Brezhnev brow can eventually lead to a full blown Frida brow.

kramnnim
12-19-2015, 03:22 PM
You could get one of those Air Attack Shields with built in visor, lots of brow clearance. :hello:

My issue is that my eyelashes rub against the lenses and...hmm, I guess I have dirty/oily eyelashes? Ew.

...oh, and I have a NIB Pivlock V2 that I've been too lazy to list for sale in case you need 'em.

dgauthier
12-20-2015, 02:21 AM
+1 this is a glasses problem. To check this, try a ride without glasses. Does the problem go away?

The wind should be flowing around and behind your glasses and evaporating all the sweat on your face when you are in motion.

Definitely keep your habit of riding with glasses -- they provide eye protection from flying stones, UV, etc. But get glasses that don't block evaporation.

Edit: Orrrrr a helmet problem. Do you sweat a lot under your helmet? Is your helmet well vented? Again, all the sweat on your head should be evaporating when you are in motion.

Louis
12-20-2015, 02:35 AM
Simple solution: Halo headband
Works very well, even in hot and humid St Louis.

They have tie and no-tie versions. It has a little rubber strip thingy on the back side that also helps keep the sweat from pouring down.

http://store.haloheadband.com/

http://store.haloheadband.com/v/vspfiles/photos/HT-2T.jpg

CampyorBust
12-20-2015, 03:08 AM
You could get one of those Air Attack Shields with built in visor, lots of brow clearance. :hello:

My issue is that my eyelashes rub against the lenses and...hmm, I guess I have dirty/oily eyelashes? Ew.

...oh, and I have a NIB Pivlock V2 that I've been too lazy to list for sale in case you need 'em.

Thanks for the offer kramnnim. What color and version do you have? Is it the Max version?

+1 this is a glasses problem. To check this, try a ride without glasses. Does the problem go away?

The wind should be flowing around and behind your glasses and evaporating all the sweat on your face when you are in motion.

Definitely keep your habit of riding with glasses -- they provide eye protection from flying stones, UV, etc. But get glasses that don't block evaporation.

Edit: Orrrrr a helmet problem. Do you sweat a lot under your helmet? Is your helmet well vented? Again, all the sweat on your head should be evaporating when you are in motion.

Thanks, I bought the glasses and aqua pad at the same time. One or both of them are the culprit. The Bolles have decent venting, and I don't have the fogging issue I had with all previous glasses. I like that they have an adjustable nose piece and sit a fair away from my face, I too have long eye lashes and I don't make contact. With the Pivlock V2 I think I did make contact, though not nearly as much as with the V1.

I will try without the glasses today. However I can feel the sweat pouring down my forehead from my helmet. The aqua pad is designed to channel away sweat from the eyes. I have a Lazer Helium with plenty of vents in it. I am doing a lot of climbing right now so buckets are being sweated.

They have tie and no-tie versions. It has a little rubber strip thingy on the back side that also helps keep the sweat from pouring down.

Headbands, argh perhaps me matey.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2015, 06:29 AM

The hair on my legs has migrated to my ears.

Kingfisher
12-20-2015, 06:37 AM
The hair on my legs has migrated to my ears.

Roger that....I'm turning into a beast!

oldpotatoe
12-20-2015, 06:39 AM
I suffer from a condition commonly referred to in the salon/hair care community as Brezhnev brows. If I was to trim them it would be considered deforestation and a band of picketing EPA peeps would surely hunt me down.

Disturbing picture along with those of the donald's new man-friend.

kramnnim
12-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the offer kramnnim. What color and version do you have? Is it the Max version?

White frames, three lenses in a substantial case, not Max.

soulspinner
12-20-2015, 07:03 AM

:)

regularguy412
12-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I had this problem many years ago. Not so much anymore, and I don't know why. Anyway, back then, I would get some of that thin foam weatherstripping from the hardware store (self-adhesive on one side) and use scissors or an x-acto knife to trim it just right to fit inside the upper edge of my glasses. Kind of like those old Oakley Aviators, in a way. When I'd put the glasses on, the foam sealed against my forehead/eye brow area and forced the sweat around the outside or down the nose-piece of the glasses-- effectively preventing the over-glazing of the lenses.

Mike in AR:beer:

CampyorBust
12-21-2015, 02:09 AM

You know as a kid I always liked Ducktales (woo oo), Captian Planet, Ghostbusters and Thundercats among many others. However I never liked G.I.Joe, Curious George, He-man, or Darkwing Duck for that matter.

White frames, three lenses in a substantial case, not Max.

That's just the ticket. I am out of town for sometime, when I get back I might just take you up on those, thanks.

I had this problem many years ago. Not so much anymore, and I don't know why. Anyway, back then, I would get some of that thin foam weatherstripping from the hardware store (self-adhesive on one side) and use scissors or an x-acto knife to trim it just right to fit inside the upper edge of my glasses. Kind of like those old Oakley Aviators, in a way. When I'd put the glasses on, the foam sealed against my forehead/eye brow area and forced the sweat around the outside or down the nose-piece of the glasses-- effectively preventing the over-glazing of the lenses.

Mike in AR:beer:

:beer: that's good, I am going to try that.

I rode yesterday and noticed that sweat is indeed coming from my head and forehead. Also I made note of the fact that my forehead space (between the top rim of my glasses and bottom of my helmet) has greatly diminished with these Bolle glasses. If I take the glasses off it does reduce some of the sweat, but I don't have the benefit of a sweet rose tint to all that I survey. I did manage to minimize the splash by adjusting the nose piece to place the glasses even further away from my face. My eyelids are getting pretty raw from the salt, looks like taping the rim of my glasses or a headband/bandana is in my future. I swore I would never be one of those bandana under the helmet guys now I am seeing the logic behind that.

chiasticon
12-22-2015, 12:49 PM
I believe I have this problem as well, though I don't know that my brows are *quite* as bad as what you describe. certainly not as bad as the photos!

anyhoo, my only experience with proper cycling glasses has been Oakley Jawbone/Racing Jackets. which certainly don't allow for as much airflow in/around as many other designs, being more goggle-like as they are. I have ridden with normal sunglasses: Ray Ban Wayfarers. I have similar issues there but I think it's more a matter of my brows touching the frames and pooling sweat down into the lenses than it is a lack of airflow. so...maybe I'm just screwed? or should I try other sport frames?

one item of note: I've never ridden with the Oakleys using their stock lenses, only with Rx lenses. I don't know if they have a different coating on them that would help with this or not...? I don't absolutely *need* the prescription, I just prefer it. I don't use it during cross/mtb riding, for example; with the slower speeds I can see what's coming up just fine. point is I can freely test other frames or even the Jawbone stock lenses without serious issue.

Red Tornado
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM

I use something similar. It's called a Bondi band; I think runners use them. Looks very similar to the headbands the guys in the NFL wear. On me, it goes from the top of my eyebrows maybe about 3" - 4" up my forehead. The band tapers down thinner as it goes past your ears to the back of your head. Very light and easy to work with. Doesn't have the long "tails" past where a knot would be.
I am an unusually heavy "sweatter" (if that's even a word) and fought the perspiration on glasses, in eyes (not fun at all w/contacts) and constant dripping all over the top tube, down tube and BB shell. This guy did the trick. Never wore anything under the helmet in summertime when I lived in Indiana, but in central Texas you have to do something.

azrider
12-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I purchased one of these few years ago.

I now have 4 in constant rotation. Not only has it completely eliminated sweat issues, but it's made every one of my helmets infinitely more comfortable.

http://www.sweathawg.com/helmet-liners/

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-arxsrf/fqazokva/product_images/attribute_rule_images/4_std_1447874794.jpg