PDA

View Full Version : Lezyne pump vs...

J. Anquetil
12-18-2015, 07:36 PM
After more than 15 years receiving flawless service from a Topeak Joe Blow Pro and a Park Pro with Hirame head, I figured I'd incur in the senseless act of buying a new pump just because there are so many new and good-looking pumps now days. Again, my other two pumps function wonderfully.

So I bought a Lezyne Alloy Floor Drive pump because I like the white wood handle, and because the head looks better than the hideous traditional Silca head.

I just received the pump and I'm amazed at how awesome it looks. The gauge is immense and sits on a base as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar. The head seems well made and easy to use (anything other than wrestling the Silca head off the valve and hurting my fingers against the wheel spokes is good enough for me). The handle is solid and handsome. At the base there are two small fixtures where to screw in the two attachments - screw in...!!!

So far I'm glad to have bought a pump I didn't need as it looks so much better than my old pumps, and the price was modern reasonable at some $70 plus. I might even buy the braided hose upgrade.

Now, pray tell: Is the new Silca pump $370 better in any way than the Lezyne? I must admit from the start that I don't like at all the Silca head as I find it bulky and a pain to remove from the valve. Is the Silca the new Ottrott which blew the price of frames out of the water as a suicidal act with nefarious consequences to cyclists to the point where we are still paying for it? Is charging an indecent amount of money for a regular tool just for the sake of capturing a... "special" segment of the market a good idea for the sport in general?

Whatever, I like my Lezyne. It's well-made, solid and easy to use, what a bicycle tire pump ought to be.

Jeff N.
12-18-2015, 07:50 PM
The Super Silca is indeed a very precise piece of equipment. The high quality is apparent, but wrestling with the head does take some getting used to. I don't like it (the head) but am getting used to it. Is it worth $370 more than your Lezyne? In terms of function, absolutely not. (You should get the Joe Bell painted version sold by Sachs! Only $800.00!)

Hank Scorpio
12-18-2015, 08:01 PM
I have the same lezyne with a hirame head already went through two gauges. I didn't bother to call for a third. YMMV

msl819
12-18-2015, 09:26 PM
I have had gauge trouble with mine too. I have a new one being shipped as I type. Customer support was great but I hope this is not the beginning of a trend!

Ozrider
12-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Been using a Lezyne pump for about 7 years, pumping tyres on 4 bikes and so far no issues.
My LBS has a Lezyne that does shop duty, they recently rebuilt it with new seals, but this pump gets used in their workshop, far more use than any use a pump will see under normal conditions.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom

jischr
12-18-2015, 10:12 PM
5 years on my Lezyne floor pump, used 4-5 times a week, never an issue.

jeffwidman
12-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Always been impressed with the build quality of the Lezyne pumps and tools...

Cicli
12-19-2015, 05:23 AM
I have overhauled my Lezyne twice and replaced the gauge once. They supplied all the parts at no charge. That said, the last time the check valve failed I just kept the hose and tossed the pump in the recycle bin. Back to Joe Blow and couldnt be happier.
Oh, I never liked the head either. Always screwing around with my removeable valve cores.

jr59
12-19-2015, 06:13 AM
I ride a lot, almost everyday, and with 10 or so bikes, I can plan on using a pump most every day. I have tried many over the years. I like my Lezyne. I've had it 5+ years and blown out the hose one time. It took out the core in a tube 1 time. I would call that pretty good service. Still going strong.

Is it as good as the 450. dollar pump? Probally not, but the difference is so small I can not tell the difference.

I liked it so much that I bought road drives small frame pumps for my road bikes. I like those also. Heck i even like their bottle cages.

Shoeman
12-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Less than 2 years old and already having to replace the 0 rings. I don't even use it that much!!!!!!!!!!

R3awak3n
12-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I have been wanting to pick up one of the lezynes but my blackburn $20 pump I bought 5 years ago just wont die and I just dont want 2 pumps around in ky tiny nyc appartment.

However judging by this thread i will provably stir clear

Tony T
12-19-2015, 11:25 AM
I have both the Sport and Classic. Sport is cheaper and has more plastic.
The Lezyne Classic Floor Drive Pump is a great pump for $70

http://www.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/large/40-4084-BLK-ANGLE.JPG

Tony T
12-19-2015, 11:26 AM
I ride a lot, almost everyday, and with 10 or so bikes, I can plan on using a pump most every day.

Sounds like you could use an air compressor :)

I liked it so much that I bought road drives small frame pumps for my road bikes.

I recently switched to these also (from barbieri pumps that failed twice on me).
Great little frame pump (with a hose!) that mounts to the water bottle cage

Hank Scorpio
12-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I had the small pump with the hose attachment. Once I lost the rubber the rubber cap thing I stopped carrying it because the exposed connecting ferrule was pretty sharp and I thought it would tear a hole through my pocket.

That isn't really lezynes fault and now I feel like a dummy for not calling them for a replacement cap. So in general this post is a waste of bandwidth.

Tony T
12-19-2015, 03:07 PM
AFAIK, it's part of the seal kit $10 (http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Seal-Road-Drive-Black/dp/B001J48SLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450559214&sr=8-1&keywords=lezyne+road+pump+seal+kit) at Amazon